Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too, as long as they do not decide to take advantage of it - which happens in a lot of cases.
Sherrel, you and I should take over! I feel the same as you, I'm all for helping those in need, but too many make a career out of it or scam the system.

We are caught in the middle, one side says "give them everything", the other side says "give them nothing". Neither side wants to hire investigators to stop the stealing!

From what little I know, if they are caught the benefits are cut off. Big damn deal, prosecute the thieves!

Can anybody tell me anything about Mercedes direct injection, turbocharged 4cyl, 2.0L and 7 speed automatic?

I'm still hesitant to trade in my Chevy City Express. The Nissan 2.0L and CVT transmission will be hard to surpass, that drive line has served me well! I average over 25mpg and I almost never shut it off when I'm working.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

The only thing I have accomplished today was going to the library (I still read real books). Tomorrow I'll be gone all day at the skunk show.

Willie- Nice looking building. I really like the billboard and worker.

Johnny- Great family photo.

Chet- I forgot to mention your great video yesterday and nice layout shot.

Mikey- Really nice pipe loads.

Toot- Nice club scene.

Ken- Sorry to hear about your wife having to be admitted. Continued prayers for her.

I hope everyone has a good night.

A bit more on the Texas HSR project. There will be no grade crossings involved anywhere according to current plans. Part of the proposed route parallels a freight line when entering Houston, but will not intersect it. The construction contract has been awarded, but construction cannot begin before March 2020 when the already submitted environmental impact study is approved. They are proposing trips every 30 minutes during peak and every hour during off-peak. There are three proposed stations, Dallas, Houston and an additional one in rural Grimes County, which is where Texas A&M is located. Some Grimes County residents are opposed to the line, as are some in Leon County. In the end, opposition will be crushed. There are many options for moving the line east or west by a few miles if there are any serious problems. $$$$ talks when it finally matters.
The Texas Legislature, TXDOT, FRA, and other regulatory agencies have all given their approval and will cooperate. Something called the RPA has already been issued by the FRA. Trains are expected to travel near 200 mph and make the trip in 90 minutes. Highway travel at best takes nearly four hours. Air travel is estimated at 70 minutes plus the airport hassles. I am sure that there will be some security checkpoints at the train stations. They stated that the cost would be comparable to airline fares.
Dallas and the surrounding areas already have a rather successful light rail/commuter rail system in place so folks locally are already open to rail travel. The thrill of going 200 mph on the ground will hold a certain allure.

Joe - In 1969 we went into the yard in Philly to decommission my ship for a major overhaul and I can remember all of the construction that we ran across. I had run my car up to the yard ahead of time so we would have some transportation while we were up there. It started to be a pain in the butt for us because we werem't that familiar with the atea and were relying on road maps (No GPS and we survived) which were becoming useless in some places. I know that I had read a lot about eliminating grade crossings for the high speed line. I thought it was a pipe dream.

California's HSR plans will probably be a failure as it is being run by a government agency as a government project
Whenever I hear about the government wanting to run something the story about the Mustang Ranch in Nevada comes to mind when the government took over the House of Ill Repute and a Bar and went bankrupt. (Now they went to control our health care. If they do we're in a heap of trouble).

Subaru's are extremely popular here in Montana with out winters. The local dealer also carried Hyundai and Volkswagen and spun them off into different dealerswhips around town because they didn't have enough room with all of the Subaru sales. I have never owned one but have worked on a number of them and they are fairly easy to work on end for the most part very reliable. I ended up selling my skid steer and now will have a bit more work yop clear our lane to the county road. One of those little rice rockets would come in handy in the winter. Louis, I still won;t have anything to do with the CVT transmissions. After the experience we had with the Subaru we rented, I think I would rather ride a horse instead of driving anything with the CVT transmission. They are a less expensive way for manufacturers to get better fuel mileage instead of adding a few gears to a conventional automatic transmission.

I did find another freight car that fit on the track cleaning car chassis. Think I'll use this one.

thumbnail_20191018_132108.jpg

Later

Think I liked the Milwaukee (the first one) better Chet!
Your pic and Willie too have been really great!
I wish I knew more about automobiles. My son is very smart at keeping the older ones running, but when I need his help - he is off in Memphis working on a movie and getting a new engine put in his 78 Ford Diesel Dule (maybe it;s a 88, but that doesn't sound right either) He managed to limp in there on 5 of 8 cylinders. Mechanic could not believe that he came all the way there from Tahoe pulling his trailer with horse.
When I married my charming bride, she had a 1990 Honda Accord - it was I felt the best car that I had ever been in.
It ran perfect, never any trouble, but she felt that she wanted something to haul the kids around with including all their saddles and crap, so we got a Previa. We both wish we had kept that Previa car - it sat up high, the seats were very comfortable and you could haul a refrigerator in the back. We(she) simply wore that car out - but I still see it running around town here. Should have just spent a few thousand having it rebuilt and we would probable still have it. After my problems with the Dakota and Pacifica I will never own another Chrysler product. Damn truck is sitting in the drive at the moment. It sometimes quits on me when I stop at an intersection, and then takes forever to get running again. After Cranking for a while I can smell the gas and the spark is awesome - so it must be something with the computer which was replaced two years back. I haven't taken it back to the shop as I am just sick and tired of the constant problems. Maybe I'll cool down nest week. In the meantime we sure do like the CRV that we have!

Good news: I managed to get my taxes done and in with 6 hours to spare!

Sherrel - Can't believe you still have that truck. Have you ever thought about parking it with a "keys inside" sign so someone might steal it. BUT, considering your luck with that thing, they would probably bring it back with a sympathy car inside.

I don't know how I can get so sidetracked - must be the age?
HSR's problem in CA is getting down the Cajon pass area - and then from there on in to greater LA. There is just no room left to build a rail line and with the NIMBY crowd -it just won't happen. The boondoggle that has been started in the central valley is absolutely the worst decision ever made. I am sure that it make many NON deserving folks very wealthy.

Sherrel - Can't believe you still have that truck. Have you ever thought about parking it with a "keys inside" sign so someone might steal it. BUT, considering your luck with that thing, they would probably bring it back with a sympathy car inside.

Can't afford to buy a new one - I wish that they leased trucks - Trying to decide if I really need a turck anymore?

75 and clear on my last night in Phoenix. Back to a normal Autumn with crisp temps tomorrow. Just a burger and fries for dinner Flo, with a good ale to wash it down.

I was able to take a side adventure today to see the 4014 down in Tucson. I also did some hiking in the Saguaro National Park.

I'll try to catch up on the posts. Lots af great pictures from my brief perusal.

Heres a few pics from todays adventure. Doing this on my fone,...on hotel wifi...pics are also from my fone.

20191018_115356.jpg
20191018_114552.jpg

20191018_114735.jpg
20191018_120428.jpg
20191018_120531.jpg
20191018_122930.jpg
20191018_123629.jpg
20191018_115552.jpg
20191018_113403.jpg

Attachments

• 20191018_120531.jpg
    20191018_120531.jpg