Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Louis - - what costume are you wearing to go Trick-or-Treating this year? :D
I'm just going to be me, a sexy old man ;)

I got the idea from a young lady at Towson university. I was trying to locate her to deliver her Amazon package, She sent me some kind of link on my phone that showed me where she was and I told her "be patient. I'm an old man with a smart phone, not always a good combination". When I arrived and the pretty young lady saw me she said "you're a sexy old man". When I told my wife her expression told me she did not appreciate the compliment as much as I did.

Seriously, I enjoy sitting on my steps and handing out the candy. I do have a Jack-o-Lantern t-shirt.

I got an ad for this, does anybody know anything about it?
http://www.trainzportal.com/
View attachment 40696
I believe the company that puts these simulator programs out, originated in New Zealand. Whether it still is, not sure. Reports were that they were pretty good. I notice there are no NZR programs on offer so, it's either not the one I'm thinking of (sure the Trainz name is) or sold off internationally. Address is .com, so likely to the US.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. 46 and clear out there. Time for coffee, scrambled eggs and bacon in here, please, Flo.

Patrick, Sherrel, and others - Thanks everyone for your likes and comments.
Chet - I liked that cab ride.
Willie - nice modeling work on that structure.

Absolutely nothing to report from the train room. MOH and I spent some time with our son last night, since his wife is at a women's conference. Then we went shopping, and got home late. Too tired to do anything.

I was looking through my old photos of the layout, and found this one from July of last year: me holding our youngest granddaughter, the one who loves the trains. It also shows the area I'm currently working on, on the right side of the photo. I've already moved the lumber yard back toward the back of the area, and put the dairy where the lumber yard was. Hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to work on this.
ScreensaverAriaGrandpaTrains.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

I believe the company that puts these simulator programs out, originated in New Zealand. Whether it still is, not sure. Reports were that they were pretty good. I notice there are no NZR programs on offer so, it's either not the one I'm thinking of (sure the Trainz name is) or sold off internationally. Address is .com, so likely to the US.

There was another game or maybe this one, now updated, I played years ago. It had scenarios and campaigns. I can't remember the name. The goal was to build and run a profitable railroad company. It was fun, even though I was no good at it. The only time I could complete a scenario was if I used only GG1s.

PS I'm still in favor of some kind of safety nets for those who are unable to take care of themselves or hit an obstacle in life.

Capitalism with a conscience. :)
Me too, as long as they do not decide to take advantage of it - which happens in a lot of cases.

I got the idea from a young lady at Towson university. I was trying to locate her to deliver her Amazon package, She sent me some kind of link on my phone that showed me where she was and I told her "be patient. I'm an old man with a smart phone, not always a good combination". When I arrived and the pretty young lady saw me she said "you're a sexy old man". When I told my wife her expression told me she did not appreciate the compliment as much as I did.
Funny how wives react at times. I'm like you - if someone said that to me, I would feel so good about it that I would do exactly what you did. My spousal unit would have said, "maybe I better start going with you on your rounds?". She is great!

Willie, I agree with you, especially when I look in the mirror after my shower! Gravity sucks!

YEAH ... and my tool doesn't want to plow anymore!

Johnny -- That's a great photo of you and the kiddo - and the layout!

Morning all,

Nothing on my trains, but at least I have the idea of what I'm doing (Finally!).

Oldest granddaughter's 7th birthday yesterday, so MRR was a bust (but family is more important).

Raincoat2: Have you ever been across the pedestrian bridge across the old Frisco Yard? I did once before I moved away just because I thought it was neat.

From the Wiki page on the developer: "N3V Games (formerly Auran Development and later n3vrf41l Publishing) is an Australian video game developer and publisher based in Helensvale, Queensland, Australia. Auran is now operated as a holding company, with operations and development ceded to N3V Games, a different closely held company."

I had the 2004 and 2006 versions of Trainz when the company was Auran. It was good train simulator, if a bit complicated at the time. It's competitors today are Train Sim World and Microsoft Train Simulator. There area whole lot of train simulators out there that are worth taking a look at, but these are big 3 currently.

Good morning. Looks like our weather is going to turn again. We were in the low 70 the past couple of days but there is a winter weather advisory out for the southern part of the county near Yellowstone Park. Rian is in the forecast for here tomorrow so a trip over the pass to the club is out of the question. Rain in the valley means snow on the pass this time of year.

Louis
- As usual you posted some winning photos. Like the WM steamer a lot.

Karl
- Looking forward to see the photos you post when you get home. Have a safe trip.

Clint
- That was an interesting video. I have seen a lot of videos on high speed trains and Chad probably had the chance to ride on some during his recent trip to Japan. I never had a chance to ride on one as they were not in service when I visited Europe and Japan. It could be quite difficult to have such a service here as there could be numerous grade crossings if expensive road work is done. We do have the Acela running the the NE corridor and this is over a well established route with very few crossings. Also, Americans are car people and I doubt that high speed service can pry them out of their vehicles.

Garry - Nice shot of the dome car.

Greg - I certainly hope you improve quickly so you can get down to your train room. Done want to see and withdrawal problems. Thanks for posting the video. It is quite old as it was done around four years ago. Glad to see you did notice the change in elevations. I think it add interest to operating.

Bready
- I sure enjoy the old railroad ads you posted the other day. Thumb up.gif Those station wagon photos were also interesting. I only had one, a Mazda RX-4 with the rotary engine. That thing could move. Years ago most people didn't wanted to be seen in a station wagon, but now the SUV, a small station wagon seems to be the crazy. ME, I personally wouldn't own an SUV.

Mikey - Like the pipe loads. I may hit up the bar tender at the bowling alley tonight for a bunch of his drink straws to make a pipe load or two.

Ray - That club photo you posted reminds me of the climb out of the east subdivision on my club layout. Those police cars are interesting. Most of our patrol cars had the 360 small blocks, but mine was an unmarked car that was originally ordered as a pursuit car for andther state and has the factory blueprinted and balanced 383 pursuit engine. I was in a power whine when they decided to trade it off for newer cars.

IBKen
- Really sorry to hear that your wife had to be admitted to the hospital. Prayers for her. Hopefully they can get a confirmed diagnosis soon.

Willie - Really enjoyed your photos. I like the Woodland Scenics billboards and would like to find one that would work for my time period.

Johnny - Looks like you're breaking future engineers in early. Nice photo.

Mostly slummed around with some friends yesterday, but did get down into the train room for a few minutes. I had donated a number of freight cars to my club and they gave me a Walthers track cleaning car to run on my home layout as all I usually run is Dust Monkeys. The Walthers cars do a nice job at the club, but the car was decorated for AmTrak. There was no AmTrak around in 1957 so I tried to find a shell that would be more appropriate for my time era and came up with this Milwaukee Road shell.

thumbnail_20191015_151503.jpg

It's better and AmTrak, but I am going to still try different shells to see if anything else will fit.

Later

Morning all,

Nothing on my trains, but at least I have the idea of what I'm doing (Finally!).

Oldest granddaughter's 7th birthday yesterday, so MRR was a bust (but family is more important).

Raincoat2: Have you ever been across the pedestrian bridge across the old Frisco Yard? I did once before I moved away just because I thought it was neat.

Patrick - Actually I have driven the road overpass many times, and have recently begun driving down along the yard to take some photos. Haven't gotten anything interesting yet, but I plan to post them when I do. The pedestrian overpass is a great place to view yard activity from, and I want to walk up there and take some shots of the yard.

Bready - Years ago most people didn't wanted to be seen in a station wagon, but now the SUV, a small station wagon seems to be the crazy. ME, I personally wouldn't own an SUV.
We're on our 6th Subaru in a row. I drove a Legacy for a while, and the wife drove a Forrester; the rest, including our present car, have been Outbacks. We've found the Outback to be the perfect traveling car, as well as being sure-footed in a curve and on ice or snow. In the extreme, it's built like a tank. A month before I retired, 7-1/2 years ago, we traded both of our cars for this one and it's been a dream. After two trips to the west coat (from Michigan) and another to Florida, plus several shorter trips, she still runs as well as Day 1, and there's not a speck of rust on her. Mind, we've been careful to keep up with maintenance. Don't discount SUVs.

My issue on Subarus is based on the ones I had to deal with in the 70’s and 80’s that had really weak cv axles, terrible main bearing issues, and spewed oil worse than a Harley.
I’ve been scarred for life...

We're on our 6th Subaru in a row. I drove a Legacy for a while, and the wife drove a Forrester; the rest, including our present car, have been Outbacks. We've found the Outback to be the perfect traveling car, as well as being sure-footed in a curve and on ice or snow. In the extreme, it's built like a tank. A month before I retired, 7-1/2 years ago, we traded both of our cars for this one and it's been a dream. After two trips to the west coat (from Michigan) and another to Florida, plus several shorter trips, she still runs as well as Day 1, and there's not a speck of rust on her. Mind, we've been careful to keep up with maintenance. Don't discount SUVs.

I have been looking at Subarus. I do prefer the Legacy as it is a sedan, but I think I could live with an OutbacK. My son has an older Forrester and he loves it, especially in the winter as they rarely if ever plow some of the side steets where he lives. I have been looking as I want to keep the mileage down on my Buick, which I love to take on long trips mainly due to the ride and excellent fuel mileage. The Buick get abetter fuel mileage than a Subaru also. I really don't consider the outback as an SUV as they had the Subaru Loyale around for years which is a station wagon. It would have to be a used one though as I can't stand their CVT transmissions. Some people don;t mind them, but as a person who has driven manual transmissions most of my life and still prefer them, the CVT drives me nuts. We purposely rented a Legacy a while back just to give it a good road test and it drove me nuts. Had to bring it back to the rental agency and change over to another car with a conventional automatic. to me it was too noisy and lacked performance. A used outback would suite me just fine. Terry, the newer boxer engines are better than the early ones but still need maintenance like other engines. Head gaskets and timing chains have to be watched with them.

We do have the Acela running the the NE corridor and this is over a well established route with very few crossings. Also, Americans are car people and I doubt that high speed service can pry them out of their vehicles.

Chet: Back in 1967, the PRR line from Newport DE to Washington had numerous highway - rail crossings at grade. The onset of the High Speed Rail Demonstration Project, everyone, but the densest politician , realized that no one wanted to deal with a 125 MPH train striking a highway vehicle.
So, all the crossings were either closed or bridges were built to carry the highway over the railroad.

Several factors made the Northeast Corridor a successful operation. Higher speeds made affordable door to door business travel competitive with air travel, in particular Eastern's Low cost but Spartan Air-Shuttle. Railroads finally realized that they needed to place stations near major highways, and to provide large amounts of reasonable cost and secure parking, both short term and long term, for customers. Metro Park and Capitol Beltway are examples. It's pretty hard to get people out of their cars, if there is no place to safely park those cars, while the traveler is using the train. In 1967, most stations did not have sufficient close by parking.

Initiatives in Texas and California, if done right, will be very successful. This does cost money, with land acquisition, infrastructure improvements, and development of facilities. The Mid-Atlantic, and Southeast states, are also prime candidates., due to increasing population density. Service has to be frequent enough to make taking the train worthwhile. Two or three round trips won't do it. The ROW has to be separated from freight ROW, in the interest of safety and efficiency.

In short, HSR is viable, if it is well thought out, and built right. Otherwise 90 to 110 MPH operation of a few trains on existing routes will work, but never reach the potential that HSR has. Montana,Wyoming, Idaho, and the Dakotas are unlikely venues for the forseeable future.

Boris

Initiatives in Texas and California, if done right, will be very successful. This does cost money, with land acquisition, infrastructure improvements, and development of facilities. The Mid-Atlantic, and Southeast states, are also prime candidates., due to increasing population density. Service has to be frequent enough to make taking the train worthwhile. Two or three round trips won't do it. The ROW has to be separated from freight ROW, in the interest of safety and efficiency.

In short, HSR is viable, if it is well thought out, and built right. Otherwise 90 to 110 MPH operation of a few trains on existing routes will work, but never reach the potential that HSR has. Montana,Wyoming, Idaho, and the Dakotas are unlikely venues for the forseeable future.

The ROW being separate from freight, but also separate from non-HSR passenger is vital. In Japan, the Shinkansen run on a dedicated standard gauge network that is 100% dedicated to Shinkansen HSR. (In fact, the JR railways non HSR is almost all Cape gauge and not standard like the Shinkansen). Germany, on the other hand, has very little dedicated HSR trackage and consequently has very few routes that even approach high speeds for more than little sections. France, on the other hand, has dedicated lines for TGV HSR and they run large stretches at high speed. (I saw an article on the France vs Germany HSR approaches and how Germany is trying to build out HSR to atone for their mixed-ROW sins of the past but I cannot find it now).

California's HSR plans will probably be a failure as it is being run by a government agency as a government project -- behind, and over budget. Texas's plan has a much higher chance of working as it is avoiding that. I've heard of plans for a HSR link in Florida linking Orlando with the south of FL. Also private. And some sort of HSR from LA to Las Vegas (also private). We'll see if they can get any of that working and implemented. I could be interested in the LA <-> Las Vegas one if it is fast and convenient. Driving to Las Vegas from Salt Lake City is a lot easier than all the way to LA and the once in a while family trips to California could be interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back