Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All!
32F and overcast

Just a quickie - Happy Thanksgiving! If you are traveling - stay safe.

I too do not remember a 'bad' Thanksgiving. Even the time wify burnt the turkey; we pivoted and had steak ( I think ); not a big deal all in all as they still had to roll me away from the table.

Later

Morning all,

Happy Thanksgiving!

50° and foggy. It isn't supposed to get any warmer.

Plans changed and I have been cooking. Son turned up positive with Covid and since his niece has been spending time with him, the plans have changed. So we were all supposed to go to the far away daughter's house (bring nothing as I'm doing it all she said), and now no one is going. No turkey this year, but we're taking everything else as take to the son and the daughter's family. Ham is an acceptable substitute. Even have the frozen Pecan pie thawing. A well stocked pantry and freezer is always a plus. Too bad some of it we're not supposed to eat...

I was informed that the young man previously mentioned isn't watching the TV anymore, he's interacting with it, (his words). It's the one where the games consoles are connected.

I may be back later....

Last edited:
For those possible mini print buyers. Use the coupon code shown below. What a great buying day today is…

Miniprints.com

54132AEF-0994-4D14-9878-758748978785.png

Jersey barriers, cows and another set each of the 5 RR crews, for me

3566F9CC-BD2A-4D11-BA02-7E0F3A794F8F.jpeg

Last edited:
Morning all,

Happy Thanksgiving!

50° and foggy. It isn't supposed to get any warmer.

Plans changed and I have been cooking. Son turned up positive with Covid and since his niece has been spending time with him, the plans have changed. So we were all supposed to go to the far away daughter's house (bring nothing as I'm doing it all she said), and now no one is going. No turkey this year, but we're taking everything else as take to the son and the daughter's family. Ham is an acceptable substitute. Even have the frozen Pecan pie thawing. A well stocked pantry and freezer is always a plus. Too bad some of it we're not supposed to eat...

I was informed that the young man previously mentioned isn't watching the TV anymore, he's interacting with it, (his words). It's the one where the games consoles are connected.

I may be back later....
These things happen! Last year the wife and I spent most of Christmas day in the ER. She turned out to be OK, but we could have done without the drama. Sounds like you've got it under control. Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving All. Today is a first for us, my son and his family wont be here. They had a chance to spend a week in Costa Rica so I will be THANKFUL when they return home safe on Saturday. Since they wont be here, we and my daughter & her 2 are having filet mignon and some other stuff. I wanted tacos but I lost that argument..... Best to all....

Good evening. How to stop a nose bleed? Fall on the only patch of ice within 30’ of where you are walking.

When you are bleeding from the forehead, break 2 fingers on the left hand scraping the knuckles and those bleed and sprain the right wrist you no longer worry about a nose bleed. The bruised right side but not broken hip, elbow and shoulder are secondary. What hurts is the stitched up forehead and the gashed right knee that now looks like a balloon. How the knee of the jeans wasn’t ripped before the EMS crew cut the pants knee open is beyond me. I am still cold wrapped In warm blankets.

By the way, my driveway can easily hold a Ford Explorer police SUV, a large Rescue vehicle and a Ambulance with room to spare! I remember that part. The initial scream when I hit the ground and wall I also remember. Terry says the cop was there first and had me covered in a safety blanket pretty much as the officer was getting out of the car. Terry had me already covered but I was laying on ice. The daughter picked us up around 45 minutes ago.

Again I am fine, just living the soap opera called life.
Holy crap TomO!

What a day you had! Hope all is alright for a speedy recovery! Take it easy and have the ladys wait on ya! Relax! Ya gonna feel pain for a few weeks as it sounds! Dang! I am absent 2 days and I see this!

Get well!

Hello, again.

Dave - I wasn't picking on you specifically, although I did suspect you would be one who would like the photos as much as I do.

mara - No, there was no narrow gauge here. Canadian National Railway has served this area for all my life, and in the early days it was probably Grand Trunk. Whitecourt is on what's known as the Sangudo spur, which comes off mainline Edmonton to Vancouver.
I suspect lumber in the ol' days was trucked into Whitecourt and loaded onto the train in the Whitecourt yard. The local yard was more extensive back then than it is today. Here's a photo from 1949, that shows a Dutch war bride and her child waiting for someone after arriving by train. View attachment 156501
One can see lots of track in the background that isn't there anymore today.

It's not uncommon to find old trucks in the bush somewhere around here.
This one was dragged out of the forest and put into the heritage center yard. I visit it quite often to take photos from different angles in different light. It is a Chevrolet product, as far as I know:
View attachment 156502
View attachment 156503
View attachment 156504
There's no doubt that you should find better photos via Google.

Have a good evening!

Wow some great pictures!

Question:

The 1st picture that shows the young ladies sitting on the platform....beyond them off in the distance a little to the right. I noticed the track ramps up and there is a platform with an actual boxcar on the ramp??? Wow what was the purpose of elevating a boxcar on a ramp like this for?

I am curious as I have not seen this before....

Wow! Finally! I just caught up after missing 2 days in here!

Happy Thanksgiving to all that celebrate it!

I am relaxing this morning and part of the afternoon. Then I will be heading up the mountain to the family property for the evening of turkey and other festive meal goods. A little football of course too. This will be our first holiday with out Elizabeth my baby sister whom we lost this past August 30th. The feelings are still pretty raw. Mom n Pops are coping. My older sister is doing well since her heart surgery. The sun is out today.

Yesterday, I worked in the train for about 2 hours. Cleaned around the house. My neighbor needed to borrow my 32 foot extension ladder to repair a piece of fascia board on his house. I went over to give him a hand that went well. Later that evening I took my dad to the movies to see Devotion. I will say that was an excellent movie and very well done which was based on a true story on the Navy Aviator pilots. I recomend ya'll to see it if you like history.

So much going on here and in the world. I hope everyone has a good day spending it with family and friends. I am just thankful to be here and do my thing!

I enjoyed catching up on everyones's posts and ongoings here. Some really good stuff going on. I will try to check back later tonight. I need to go get ready to head up to meet the family.

Peace

Good evening, and hope my American friends have had a grand Thanksgiving!

Guy- I actually think that photo is kind of sad with the lady and daughter sitting by themselves in the middle of nowhere.
Curt - The lady and daughter are not all alone in the middle of nowhere. They have a whole hamlet behind them! :D
I noticed the track ramps up and there is a platform with an actual boxcar on the ramp??? Wow what was the purpose of elevating a boxcar on a ramp like this for?
Alcomotive - The boxcars are on top of a coaling trestle. A truck would pull up beside the trestle and coal for heating would be shovelled from the boxcar into the truck box. Coal trestles were built so the boxcar would be on a slight angle, leaning toward the coal transport.
I've thought hard about putting a coal trestle in my layouts yard, and still might do it. I believe I have the required acerage.
Walthers does make a coaling trestle model:
CoalTrestle_933-4093_1.jpg

CoalTrestle_933-4093_3.jpg

Although the photographers main subject in that pic was the women and child, the photo carries heaps of other important information.
There's the 3rd class depot that isn't there anymore, the coal trestle and extensive track layout, and way off in the background are what I believe to be lumber stacks. I believe that way over toward the treeline is where they loaded lumber onto boxcars. Today, that area is taken up by a highway.
Here's the photo again, one last time:
Depot_WtCrt_1949.jpg

Plus, here's a couple more of the same 3rd class depot:
Depot_WtCrt_1964 (2).jpg

Depot_WtCrt_1964 (1).jpg

I have it part way scratch-built out of balsa. It waits patiently for my attention to complete it.

Have a great evening!

I'm up.

Coffee is brewed (Starrybuck$ Xmas Blend)
Words are being worded

Last evening, I cooked a steak on the kamado, while wife made cornbread and sweet potato casserole. Yum! That was our turkey day meal. Just not a fan of turkey. With Mother In Law's senior facility just coming out of lockdown for the coof, our family visits were shortened. Wife ventured over, and visited with her mother for a few hours post their in-house meal.

The only black Friday shopping will be a trip to see my Mom, an hour or so away. We'll get some Volcano Pizza (a local favorite in that town), and go have a thanksgiving meal of pork and cheese with her.

I'll post pics if I remember to take any. LOOOOOVE Volcano Pizza.

I hope Everybody had a great Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for all my train buddies and so much more!

Jeff, I have to thank you for posting the Alton Brown videos. I incorporated some of his tips for brining and used his method of baking the turkey. My 23lb fresh butterball turkey was maybe the best we ever had! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back