Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sciatica is pretty much gone this morning.
Good football on TV yesterday.
That's great to hear your sciatica is better.

I enjoyed the Lions & Bills game. Although I was disappointed with the final score. The Lions have always been one of my favorite teams.

I only watched a little of the Giants & Cowboys game. I fell asleep. I was also disappointed with that outcome. With all the injuries to the Giants offense I did not expect much. I was hoping the Giants could run on Dallas and thier 26th ranked run defense.

I expected the Vikings would beat New England. But i never underestimate Bill Belichick's Patriots.

Well, I was going to Detroit but this sciatica kicked in and I just couldn't continue the trip. Stopped several times along the road to try to walk it out and stretch but didn't last long. Icing it now and waiting for football on TV.
My T dinner was a turkey sub samich.
That stinks! Mine hasn't flared in months. (nothing like tempting fate, eh") but when it does... I had a therapist give me some pretty good exercises that calm it down. Gettin' old ain't fer sissies!

Had the kids and grandkids over yesterday. It was also the grandaughter's birthday, so we had a twofer. Funny but in 37 years of Thanksgiving the wife and I (being a north-south blended marriage we both cook) have never been able to get everything perfectly timed. Had everything done and that darned turkey timer lied. It needed an extra hour to pop that little timer thingy. The good news is dinner was just a half hour late, and everything turned out. I thought of a great business opportunity. A service that comes in, clears the table, puts away your leftovers, does the dishes, pots & pans, and cleans your kitchen, $100.00. Last night I'd have paid it! Who feels like doing that stuff in the middle of a raging food coma? We did get it done, except for a few pots & pans, then collapsed into the recliners. All in all, a pretty good day! I found early on that my favorite part of Thanksgiving was after everyone left, and we just relaxed in the aftermath.

I think the car seat in the rental was aggravating the sciatica. It was a bucket seat in a KIA. Prolly designed for a person half my size.
Not decided what I want to do today. I'll be going to the science museum to operate on the club layout tomorrow morning. I'll have to put a train together and pack it up for transport tomorrow. It's a very well-coordinated club activity with operating requirements. They have time slots for members to be operating during the show. They take great steps to ensure that they are putting on a good model railroad operating layout for the museum.

Good morning from a beautiful looking morning in So. Central Wisconsin. It’s 30f decrees now, feels like 24 but heading to the low 50’s. The wife is out with the horses, I have a 9:40 rehab appointment for the knee. The 2 early football games were on the upstairs main TV acting as moving picture screens yesterday. I had the sound off. Never turned the last game on at all.

I have been after Exactrail and BLMA’s (now Atlas) ARMN reefers for a few years now. But, I have thought the pricing was excessive. Trainlife.com sent an email last night as the Exactrail ones are discounted from $59. To $44.95 for Black Friday. That is better then the pre-owned prices at EBay and FB sales sites. So for the second time this week I ordered from Trainlife.com which is the online store of Exactrail. I also ordered a couple box cars from the crazy good deals part of the website. Looks like I am moving to 2 eras with my rolling stock. 2005 and 2015.

enjoy the day

Good morning from a beautiful looking morning in So. Central Wisconsin. It’s 30f decrees now, feels like 24 but heading to the low 50’s. The wife is out with the horses, I have a 9:40 rehab appointment for the knee. The 2 early football games were on the upstairs main TV acting as moving picture screens yesterday. I had the sound off. Never turned the last game on at all.

I have been after Exactrail and BLMA’s (now Atlas) ARMN reefers for a few years now. But, I have thought the pricing was excessive. Trainlife.com sent an email last night as the Exactrail ones are discounted from $59. To $44.95 for Black Friday. That is better then the pre-owned prices at EBay and FB sales sites. So for the second time this week I ordered from Trainlife.com which is the online store of Exactrail. I also ordered a couple box cars from the crazy good deals part of the website. Looks like I am moving to 2 eras with my rolling stock. 2005 and 2015.

enjoy the day
I've seen those. The amount of etched metal parts on them no doubt is what pushes the price so high. Seems like 50 bucks is the neighborhood for a highly detailed freight car now. Probably worth it considering just how detailed they are.

I've seen those. The amount of etched metal parts on them no doubt is what pushes the price so high. Seems like 50 bucks is the neighborhood for a highly detailed freight car now. Probably worth it considering just how detailed they are.
They are nice cars. I agree $50 seems to be the price point. Above that I have trouble pulling the trigger. I like Exactrail because while they are greatly detailed they seemed to be IMO more ruggedly applied then the Tangent car details that seem to come off if you just look at them. I have no Athearn Genesis cars having sold them off. IMO the Walther Mainline line of cars are just as detailed and almost 1/2 the price.

Most of my purchases except pulp and wood chip hoppers have trended since 2019 towards Exactrail, Tangent, Walthers Proto line and Mainline. I believe most of my Athearn BB and Roundhouse cars have been weathered and if not sold off already are going to be. Most of my Scaletrains.com equipment has been weathered and sold. ST is by far my easiest car when weathered to sell online. The majority of my covered grain hopper fleet is Accurarail. For my layout size I want to keep it between 60 and 70 cars. But now as I buy I am leaning toward 2 eras, 2005 where I can also run some WIsconsin Central locomotives and 2015 where those locomotives are gone but where my really modern stuff fits in.

My goal is 30 cars specifically each for an era. Then 20-30 box cars and grain cars that can operate within both getting to an operating session of the 50-60 cars.

Good evening, and hope my American friends have had a grand Thanksgiving!

Curt - The lady and daughter are not all alone in the middle of nowhere. They have a whole hamlet behind them! :D

Alcomotive - The boxcars are on top of a coaling trestle. A truck would pull up beside the trestle and coal for heating would be shovelled from the boxcar into the truck box. Coal trestles were built so the boxcar would be on a slight angle, leaning toward the coal transport.
I've thought hard about putting a coal trestle in my layouts yard, and still might do it. I believe I have the required acerage.
Walthers does make a coaling trestle model:
View attachment 156635
View attachment 156636

Although the photographers main subject in that pic was the women and child, the photo carries heaps of other important information.
There's the 3rd class depot that isn't there anymore, the coal trestle and extensive track layout, and way off in the background are what I believe to be lumber stacks. I believe that way over toward the treeline is where they loaded lumber onto boxcars. Today, that area is taken up by a highway.
Here's the photo again, one last time:
View attachment 156637

Plus, here's a couple more of the same 3rd class depot:
View attachment 156638
View attachment 156639
I have it part way scratch-built out of balsa. It waits patiently for my attention to complete it.

Have a great evening!

Ahh

That certainly explains what is going on! Thank you for the detailed information. I may have to look at that kit too but may use something like that for aggregates instead of coal. Hmmm

Thank you again

Good morning folks...

A rainy 🌧 day. I hate that...dreary and gloomy. Cold and damp I do not like. So I will burn wood today to dry out and warm the house. I don't mind cold and dry but damp weather nope!

I will get a 2 loads of laundry done and run to the store and grab some salad kit and baking taters. I have a couple of steaks to grill tonight. I need red meat after all that fowl stuff....

I will also get time in the train room today. Hopefully post some pictures of what is going on.

Ya'll have a good day. Be safe out there if you are doing the black Friday craze.

Ahh

That certainly explains what is going on! Thank you for the detailed information. I may have to look at that kit too but may use something like that for aggregates instead of coal. Hmmm

Thank you again
James - we had a discussion about this a month or two ago. I thought it was for cleaning out the freight cars and then they swept out the grain cars there and could shovel it into a truck. Seeing the coal setup that makes sense.

Good morning from here, we hosted thanksgiving and it went really well. Wife did most of the work I just followed orders so she was in her glory. I did dishes my way, however, and we did not have any pile at all to contend with when everyone left.

Beautiful morning here, take a look: Our house is off to the right and you can see our well

IMG_2894r.JPG

THANKS to all who watched my video a couple days ago. I will be posting it again when I do the layout progress

Ken - glad the sciatica is better today

Louis - Vikings playing today? Sounds like they had a very poor performance last week, sometimes I think a team will purposely slack off at times in order to not get too beat up. That from a novice.

Will be working on the burby some today fixing the horn (putting on new ones), also putting this fence up and have lots of cows, anyone have a finished pic of this type of fence that they are happy with? I have to paint the wood not sure how yet or what color

IMG_2898r.JPG

This is where it is going, will be along the tracks to keep cows off the track and away from the feed mill

IMG_2897r.JPG

No shopping today, see scenicexpress is having Black Friday sale as well, 15% off but you have to spent $100 and I don't need that much stuff.

Back later if possible.

Wife got up out of the chair slow last eve after watching some TV, Seeing her "struggle" to get up I asked her, hypothetically, what song do you think of fits your emotion when getting up our of that chair, she says after some thought "It ain't Easy" sung by Ringo Starr. We had a big belly laugh🤣

Dave LASM

@ Ken and Willie, and maybe others too: re. sciatica

Not to be all "Debbie Downer," but a word or two about sciatica--maybe it is, or maybe it isn't. One of my brothers worked housing construction, and among his different jobs over the years was installing ceiling drywall. He used to balance a 4' x 10' panel atop his head and hold it up against the floor joists using back extension pressure (from the ladder step to the top of his head), long enough to get drywall screws in place which would hold it up without it falling, at which point he could back off the spinal compression pressure and then install the rest of the screws.

When he began experiencing lower back pain years later, and being the type of guy who self-diagnosed, rather than visit a doctor (construction didn't pay all that well), he assumed it was sciatica, with that job being the root cause. Compressed discs, etc.

Only it wasn't.

He was also been a heavy smoker, and when the back pains became enough of a problem that no amount of rest or varying sitting and sleeping positions helped he eventually ended up needing constant pain medication. When he finally went in for help it was too late. What he thought was sciatica was stage four bladder cancer, probably due to the smoking. When the surgeon came out after the exploratory looksee, he didn't make eye-contact. Stared at the ceiling and said "There's just nothing normal down there."

The point being: If normal sciatica "cures"--rest, stretching--don't seem to alleviate the pains (sounds like they generally are here), and if there are any other abnormal things going on--blood in the urine, etc.--then seek medical help ASAP. Just in case it isn't sciatica.

Last edited:
I think the car seat in the rental was aggravating the sciatica. It was a bucket seat in a KIA. Prolly designed for a person half my size.
Not decided what I want to do today. I'll be going to the science museum to operate on the club layout tomorrow morning. I'll have to put a train together and pack it up for transport tomorrow. It's a very well-coordinated club activity with operating requirements. They have time slots for members to be operating during the show. They take great steps to ensure that they are putting on a good model railroad operating layout for the museum.
I had forgotten about this but it's very true. The seat geometry in a car is important, and it isn't always the little ones or the cheap ones. I once spent a day with one of my sales guys driving around Northern CA and Southern OR. He had one of those big fancy Volvo SUV's and it had bucket style leather seats. Something about that seat just blew up my sciatica. I was miserable the whole time I was in that thing. Lucky for me there were frequent stops. Now when I buy a vehicle, I take an extended test drive. I have to warn the salesman, but I need to spend enough time in the thing to make sure it stays comfortable.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 48°. Rain is still in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow, the total for the last two days was barely 0.5". Miserable two days with either mist of drizzle the whole time.

The trip itself to and from Dallas yesterday was uneventful, very little traffic either way. Wife had originally suggested going there on Wednesday afternoon, but I was correct in pointing out that was the heaviest traffic day of the year. We monitored the traffic maps and saw red and orange the whole way until exiting the highways; then it was yellow! Yesterday was green all of the way both ways. Dinner itself went off really well. We left the house without forgetting anything, cooked the turkey at my daughter's home, everyone else bought their assigned food dishes and some extra desserts. I think that for a change we went through more wine than beer!!! NFL football in the main family room, World Cup in the other family/game room. At some point it was also changed to NFL.

I noted that gasoline prices are continuing to drop, a lot of places in Dallas are now at $2.75/gal.

Thanks to all of you guys who reacted to or commented on the progress and completed scene that I posted yesterday.

I obviously did not make it to the train shed yesterday, but I did have a good 30 minute talk with my brother who also models in HO. He has started purchasing Broadway Limited and Rapido engines and gave me some great feedback on them. His original layout building was 13' x 15', but he has expanded it to 13' x 25'. It's still a continuous loop with lots of sectional 18" radius curves, but he has finally added some switching opportunities for industries. He still does some things that I don't like and I have cautioned him about. With just 24" aisles and a lot of his main line running parallel to and just 1" from the edge, he no longer assumes that he won't have floor models. It's all about unattended grandchildren combined with DCC, who also "run" through the aisles and don't pay attention. He's had four instances since summer, which also coincides with when he let them handle a throttle. One was a Gomez Addams style head-on collision. So he has spent a bunch of time recently making repairs. I did advise him to get a couple of Tyco engines and decoders for them to use. Irony - He paid someone $200 apiece to install sound decoders in an SP Cab Forward and a UP Big Boy and they sit on a shelf, since neither can negotiate the 18" curves.

Some random pictures today from the archive.
IMG_6955.JPG

03-06-19 005.JPG

03-06-19 007.JPG

03-27-19 004.JPG

Snowman - That is my second favorite SNL skit.
Louis -
Troy, what is Christmas blend coffee? I'm thinking peppermint or something like that.
Maybe it's made with reindeer cream!
I only watched a little of the Giants & Cowboys game. I fell asleep. I was also disappointed with that outcome. With all the injuries to the Giants offense I did not expect much. I was hoping the Giants could run on Dallas and thier 26th ranked run defense.
I am surprised that NY didn't do better.

I am not feeling well today is why I am late, but I have ruled out one thing:
IMG_2538.JPG

Everybody have a great day.

I've had diagnosed sciatica for decades.
First time I encountered it I had no idea what it was. It got excruciating over the couple days before I finally went to the ER. No sleep possible.
They showed me a couple stretching exercises which alleviated much of the pain and burning almost immediately. Motrin settled the rest.
I've had the flare-ups over the years and can handle it now. The continued driving of that car just aggravated it yesterday. I only got about 100 miles into the 600 mile trip. I knew I wouldn't be able to tolerate it that long. I had made several stops to stretch and walk it but it eventually wasn't helping.

Last edited:
Louis - Vikings playing today? Sounds like they had a very poor performance last week, sometimes I think a team will purposely slack off at times in order to not get too beat up. That from a novice.
They played yesterday. Vikings 33 - Patriots 26 they will have this Sunday off. Next Viking game is Sunday December 4th, they will host the New York Jets. That should be an interesting game.

Teams do have their ups and downs; I doubt any professional would slack off for an entire game. The Vikings (9-2) are only a half-game behind the Philadelphia Eagles (9-1) in the race to have home field advantage in the NFC playoffs. I doubt any of the Vikings will be slacking off!
Their opponents can make it look like they are slacking off. :D Sometimes you can't do anything right. The NFL is a physical game first and foremost, but there is an aspect of a chess match to it. The idea is to run when they think you are going to pass and pass when they think you are going to run. If the defense or offense can anticipate what the other is trying to do it can make it look awfully bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back