Running Bear's November 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chet, I thought you might like to know it's snowing near your place!

" The snow is flying on Bozeman Pass as MRL 4407 pulls the ML through West End. "
1606450769215.png

Morning Turkey-bellies! Hope you all got stuffed as needed yesterday!

My wife and I did the lockdown for Turkey day. Neither of us wanted to have large gatherings with our elderly mothers. Too many of the younger generations can't quarantine for a decent length due to jobs, kids in school, etc. So we stayed home, ate soup, and then a DiGiorno frozen pizza. Mothers were understanding, and are looking forward to individual visits in the near future. Sort of a delayed and drug out holiday, one or two people at a time.

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 6.36.32 AM.png

Wife did put together a holiday wreath or two. (We got rid of such when we moved to LA and downsized drastically).

Before anyone tries to correct me, we're not religious, so the winter solstice holidays are all generic for us. Your mileage may vary. A heartfelt Happy (Insert Holiday of your choice) to you!

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 6.36.50 AM.png

Today, wife will break quarantine to go see her mother. Since we both work from home, and only leave for groceries or quick trips to the under-populated hobby shop, it's as safe as can be. It's only her going this trip, no other relatives.

I'll be manning the home fires... or in this case, flashlights.

The local power company is in the process of running new supply lines to the neighborhood transformers (big green ground-mount boxes) outside of our condos. That means our building will be without power in the near future. Today, tomorrow, or Monday. Big question is which day?

Since the train layout is in my basement, and the basement has no windows, I have no light if the power is off. Which reminds me that I need to get a couple of emergency lanterns. Sold all of that stuff off a few years ago when we moved to LA. Back in Tornado alley, I need to restock the emergency supplies.

So, I'll be up at the kitchen table to do my writing today. Just in case the power company gives us that new transformer.

Since the train layout is in my basement, and the basement has no windows, I have no light if the power is off. Which reminds me that I need to get a couple of emergency lanterns. Sold all of that stuff off a few years ago when we moved to LA. Back in Tornado alley, I need to restock the emergency supplies.
I found it's kind of tough to operate electric trains without, you know, electricity...

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 52° here in North Central Texas. Hope that everyone enjoyed Thanksgiving Day yesterday. Last warm day here is today with temperature reaching the mid-60's. Rain possible tomorrow evening and again Wednesday, temperatures never getting out of the 50's. Freeze still expected Sunday and Monday nights. Spent a while yesterday ensuring that the pool was freeze-ready. No water in the plastic skimmer or any of the return hoses.

Morning Francine. So Flo is taking today off, I hope that she enjoys herself. I'll take it easy today, just one egg over easy and a handful of bacon with an OJ to wash it all down with.

Still not feeling too inspired in the train shed regarding modeling right now. It will pass. Still went out and ran trains for a while. Plenty of ready trains were waiting in the staging yard while my crews enjoyed some time at home.
01-23-19 006.JPG

01-23-19 005 (2).JPG

Eventually some got out on the rails.
Here's some GP60's rounding the main in Maultown.
12-14-18 008.JPG

And a pair of SD45's passing some critters outside of Charlottesville.
12-23-18 002.JPG

Meanwhile Bob and Carol watched the smoker with the turkey safely inside.
11-27-18 001.JPG

Some folks still had to work, a load of corn is arriving at Lewiston Grain Coop. Local farmers are trying to clear their fields in advance of the first frost.
01-27-19 013.JPG

Troy - Yes that "Ignore" button can be very useful.
Alan - Really nice.
Terry -
City officials have authorized police and fire department employees to hand out the tickets.
Wouldn't work here. I haven't even seen a policeman here in almost ten years. Cities in lockdown states are having to make up that lost tax revenue somehow!
Tom O -
Where is the ignore button? Or is my leg being pulled! There is one member here I want no part of. He doesn’t post in the diner. I think he belongs to every model train forum there is and constantly posts the same question in each but never follows great advice.
Boy! I know who you might be referring to.

Is today still Black Friday??? I never went shopping on Black Friday.
Everybody have a great day and enjoy the holiday weekend if applicable. Stay safe and good health to all.

Good morning gang!
I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. SWMBO went on a 5k "turkey trot" with the daughter and the G-kids, I spent a few hours in the garage reassembling the dash in the S10. Finally got that monkey off of my back, its together, everything works, and no extra parts or screws!
After a filling dinner with all the trimmings, the tryptophan induced coma took us about 8:30 off to lala land.
Today sitting at work, looking out at the shopping center across the street, it doesn't look any busier than normal. I guess Covid has really dented "Black Friday".

Good Morning!
And a fine, warm morning it is at 32°F with no stars present in the sky; so it's cloudy for now. I can hear water dripping from the eaves-trough outside, so it's warm enough to melt snow! It's probably a good time to get outside and scrape the walkway down to concrete, and hope it dries before the re-freeze. - I'm hearing it rained over-night further north of us.

My wife has made a dozen 3-layer masks with filter material between the outer layers. Real nice ones, too; with pleasing designs on the outside. Mine are black with colorful butterflies on it. I believe if I make a tinfoil helmet to go with it, I'll be well protected from anything that comes. I'd post a photo of me wearing the outfit, but, that's just another way to get the ignore button pushed on oneself.

Yesterday, I did a little more on the hardware store.
I decided to install a pair of WS Just-Plugs, cool white, just to make sure! They couldn't be tested, as I couldn't find a proper power supply. The roof will be removable anyway, if there is some issue.
A 1/2" hardwood piece was also installed, cut from a paint stir stick. I wanted to stop any play for when the flat-roof gets covered with ballast material:
Progress1_11-26-2020.jpg

The top of the roof was spray-bomb blacked, but I might change that to a dark brown. I don't plan on an overly thick layer of gravel-look ballast up there, so a dark paint gets rid of the light color on the plastic. - All the pieces to the puzzle are nearly ready to put together:
Progress2_11-26-2020.jpg

And I made a couple of signs in different sizes, just printed on copy paper. I made 6 copies of each, just in case I mess it up. My thoughts are the bigger one is the better choice:
Progress3_11-26-2020.jpg

The larger sign was glued onto a piece of very thin blister-pack packaging material, after the plastic had been roughed up with sandpaper. Then the design was carefully cut out and the edges blacked with a felt.
Progress4_11-26-2020.jpg

The finished sign has a 2nd Ace copy glued on top, to hide the bit of felt-tip mess and make the white more white. A double up also helps straighten out the edges.
The sign needs to be clear-coated. That will be done today:
Progress5_11-26-2020.jpg

Hope you all have a great day! See ya later! (if you haven't pressed ignore, yet)

Morning: Happy After Turkey Day!
Starting off at a chilly 39 ° this morning going to a later high of 68 ° under a clear (not a wisp of a cloud anywhere) and calm sky.
Francine! I Hope you had a nice holiday yesterday. A light plate of scrambled with salsa and whole wheat toast - and a glass of OJ, please! I am still stuffed from yesterday.

The other BIL and spouse showed up for dinner yesterday. I thought it would be just five, but (don't tell on us) - we had seven counting the MIL. It was a more "pot luck" meal with everyone bringing a dish, or two.

WILLIE - I heard that the Walmart where we overnighted in Denton had a tornado go through?
I did not previously know that - the news to me coming from one of the BIL's 95 YO dad who lives in Denton?

That's all I have at the moment

Good Morning all. The weather guessers think we will be getting rain today and tomorrow, 100% chance. The sun is currently peeking out.
I hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving even though it was different. Surprisingly, I was able to button my britches.
I should get some train time in today and maybe a little Black Friday shopping.

LATER

Afternoon All,

Another Thanksgiving under the belt...literally :). Did some floor vacuuming and steaming this morning. After that I soldered and powered a small piece of track and T/O that I had installed on Wednesday. I test fit the B.T.S mine in it's future area and glued down 2 pieces of cork roadbed that go under the tipple. Shortly I'm going to watch the UCF/USF game.

Ken- Congratulations on your new grandson. I'm glad everyone is doing OK.

James- I wish you the best with the stone.

Willie- Great layout shots.

Guy- The building looks great.

20201127_122150.jpg

20201127_122200.jpg

20201127_122209.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back