Running Bear's November 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Our family event was cancelled (probably a good thing since it would be with strangers) so I vacuumed the pool and cleaned the filter. After that I hooked up the sidings electrically to the main buss. After metering everything I tested the sidings with a F3A and 4 Pennsy H21's. After a break I covered everything in a black craft paint wash. Finally I laid out the right hand side reverse loop (inside the right hand loop around). It looks like it will have a 22" radius-not great but it is what it is.

I found out today that a local friend (lives in Orlando), his wife and his MIL have tested positive for Covid. I usually meet up with him 1-2 times a month but we haven't met up for months because of daughter being a school teacher and the grandkids in school.

Hughie- That sounds neat.

Joe- Immaculate looking trackwork.

Troy- I use 0.5mm solder in HO scale so the 0.6mm may be large for N scale. Nice soldering station.

Willie- Great looking eating establishments. I was in second grade (in El Paso) and I remember to this day that a girl who had been in the school office came back to the classroom crying because she saw on a TV that the president had been shot. I remember the teacher telling us to bow our heads and we prayed for him and his family. I also remember how the country shut down for days. This was the first government thing that I remember from my childhood.

Garry- Nice pictures.

The test train.
View attachment 121037

How I like the mine. Gives me a track for a shifter. The blank spot would be for trucks.
.View attachment 121038

How it should be placed.
View attachment 121039

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt- any family event for me(blood or in-laws) has a propensity to have “strange people” in attendance. 😂 😂

Hello Shop Dwellers! It's 40*F and partly cloudy with a slight WNW breeze at the Iron Belt homestead.

Lots of great looking photos being shared here these past couple days, unfortunately I don't have any of my own at the moment.

I've spent 90% of my free time at the workbench, spinning my wheels on the Dairy Queen project. I hit a major speed bump; I spent several hours on Saturday applying Tamiya red paint to target surfaces on the building walls and roof. It looked fine when it was in the jar, but after I applied it and it dried, it didn't look anywhere close to the bright red of the Dairy Queen logo. It was a deep shade of Candy Apple red, maybe great for muscle cars - but a fail for a Dairy Queen.

On Sunday, I decided that the dark red had to be painted over with a lighter shade of red, so I mixed in some white paint until it was noticeably more pale, then spent the rest of Sunday afternoon painting over all the deep red surfaces that I had done on Saturday. Luckily there are no details on these surfaces to be obscured from applying multiple coats of paint, so I didn't need to strip off the first layer.

When I went back out there after work this evening, I was being driven crazy about how that red on the structure still didn't resemble the DQ logo, so I sat myself down and mixed in some yellow paint to make the red look more like the "tomato" red of the logo, as opposed to raspberry red. And I spent the rest of the evening slathering that over the first two layers. This time I think I got the color matching as close [as humanly possible] to the red of the DQ logo. I'm hoping that the raspberry red paint underneath won't "leech" thru the tomato red layer before it dries. If that happens, I'll just have to apply hand sanitizer to the red-painted surfaces to strip them; I don't want to have to totally immerse these kit walls in alcohol and ruin all the other details I painted.

...and now bedtime has arrived, gotta run. Hopefully I'll have photos to share the next time I visit!

Good evening. I had a rather nasty bug for the last couple of days. I'm not really sure how, since I had to wear a mask everywhere I went, but I digress... I'm going to have to do two days' work in one morning tomorrow, in order to catch up. Nobody else there can do what I was doing, and nobody seems to want to learn. At least it's job security.

Howdy .....

Good to see everybody's conversations and photos. Great Stuff!

Our Thanksgiving company is already arriving, and I am still sleeping more than normal to catch up on what I lost while sick. No rest for the weary.

Terry.... I hope your nasty bug is over.

I won't have much computer time this week.

Cheers.

Greetings. Flo, wake Mel up and get the bacon going.

It's my favourite time of year - Christmas Blend coffee from Starbucks! So I brought my own today.

Here in The Fort, we're at 30°, with temps increasing before drizzle hits. Looks like it should stay in the non-freezing drizzle, but, this is Indiana. Wait five minutes and the weather will change.

If you checked out the RPO thread, you'll see that I hit the hobby store yesterday and scored two Empire Builder passenger cars. Those long bodies show right away why you need large radius curves to run them.

I decided to order rail joiners from Midwest MR last week, since the LHS was so slow getting theirs out of the box, labeled and onto the pegs. I knew I couldn't just order rail joiners - not with shipping charges, so I grabbed a couple of bags of Arizona N scale ballast thanks to tips from some of you on this board.
Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 5.47.37 AM.png

After I came back from the hobby store, I started looking at the Woodland Scenics tub of Fine Grey Ballast I already had on hand, and then over at my Arizona N Scale ballast. A couple of shakes later, I had some of each quarantined in separate yogurt cups.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 5.48.48 AM.png

Arizona N Scale on left, WS on right. The AZ is noticeably finer than the WS. It really does show (at least in person, if not in the photos) that WS Fine is too large to be in scale at N Scale size.

At first, I thought I might mix the two, 4 to 1 or so, to add some texture to the AZ. But a pinch of WS later, and I couldn't get the two to mix. The WS just "floated" on top of the finer AZ ballast.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 5.48.29 AM.png

Didn't matter how much I shook nor stirred the mix. Wonder what I can do with an entire shaker tub of the WS stuff? Gravel quarry?scenic enhancement?

Here's the AZ bag for reference.

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 5.49.03 AM.png

Morning all,

Hopefully a quieter day today.

I have time for coffee and a big stack of blueberry pancakes with bacon this morning. Gotta get with the DC of police as the police have setup a substation here at city hall and are parking the cars in the employees spaces instead of where they belong. I park near the back door as I and others who do are typically those who are in and out, but I had to park this morning where they are supposed to park. The cars are only in use from 10P to 6A. I ought to let the city manager handle it I guess.

Morning Chaps! We are at the low of the night at 51 ° - will be at 70 ° later today under clear and sunny skies.

FLO - Just a coffee and a bear claw for me this morning. Have some chores and then I will return for a brunch breakfast.

TERRY - Hope you are feeling better as the day progresses?

4-6-4 1066 CR.jpg

Good Morning All. Foggy and 55° in this part of the world. Weather predictors have suddenly added rain into today's forecast, within the last hour. Must have something to do with the band of showers from Wichita Falls TX that stretches up to Wichita KS that appears to be moving east towards me. Had to make a run into Denton yesterday to make a pick up at Kohl's for my vacationing wife. I was able to pick up a Rx while I was in town so it wasn't all for nought. While driving through the countryside, I did note the number of presidential campaign signs that were still out, and indeed some seem to have been put out since election day. On the way home I made a point of counting and I passed nine residences, all rural, that had them up. They were all for the same pair of candidates.

Those blueberry pancakes that Patrick is having sure look good to me, I'll have the same with a double helping of bacon.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the restaurant tour yesterday; Guy, Sherrel, Karl, Garry, Ken, Chad, Tom O, Alan, Joe, Curt, Rick, James, Phil, Tom, Walt, Jerry, Patrick.

Another low-level day out in the train shed yesterday. I planted a few of those trees that I made the other day and ran trains. I am reviewing my options on the maintenance yard right now. I don't really have a good route in or out for ground traffic. One possibility is to put in a road between the two structures and cross the tracks into some pastureland. The other is to enter and exit off to the right into an essentially dead end in the staging yard.
IMG_5032.JPG

The last two eateries on the layout are both pizzerias. This one in Ft Wish is a Blair Line kit, called Pizzaland. It's still in an undeveloped part of the layout. Yes, it is modeled after the real thing in New Jersey somewhere.
IMG_5076.JPG

Lastly is Don's Pizza. I think that this is either a Smalltown or DPM structure. Thoughts all run together these days.
IMG_5075.JPG

I'll eventually replace the greenish interior with something I can download off the Internet.

GT - The controversy continues. Not sure why some people refuse to get over it.
Sherrel - Telegram??? Even we had a telephone by then!!!
Troy - All ballast for modeling tends to be too large for its intended scale. Use your leftover WS ballast for gravel roads.
Terry - Get well soon.

Everyone have a great Tuesday. Stay safe. The fog has turned into a mist.

Good morning. 40° and very sunny this morning. It's going to be a very quiet Thanksgiving this year. Second son called this morning to tell us he's not coming. I understand, and on one hand I'm relieved because of the remote possibility that he may infect us, but this is the first time since both were deployed in Iraq, during the "Surge", that we will not have a hose full for Thanksgiving. Hopefully, next year, things will be normal.

Lots of good photos to enjoy this morning. Suppose I will spend some time on the layout.

Ahrens Fox Engines FDNY.jpg

I did not find any appealing railroad photos to share this morning, but this caught my eye...a whole lineup of brand new mid 1930s model Ahrens-Fox Front mount 750 GPM pumpers, awaiting certification and assignment. What is unusual about this group, is the fully enclosed cab, during an era, when most fire trucks came with an open cab, that was frequently door less. Each of these monsters comes with a deck gun master stream, and a face shield above the hose bed to protect the "Tailboard" riders. Ahrens-Fox pumps had a solid reputation for out performing their rated capacity.

Telegram??? Even we had a telephone by then!!!
Willie - I still have it, but not sure which box it is in - My mom saved everything!
I also have the ticket from my first airplane ride from Beaumont to Shreveport on board a
'Chicago and Southern' DC-3 in 1948 which later on became 'Delta Air Lines'.

JOE - My daughter was going to come out from D.C. for a week starting today, but my wife and several family members requested that she not come as she travels a lot with the TSA and they were all afraid for the 99 YO mom, so I sadly asked her not to come - bummer!

Good Morning All. Foggy and 55° in this part of the world. Weather predictors have suddenly added rain into today's forecast, within the last hour. Must have something to do with the band of showers from Wichita Falls TX that stretches up to Wichita KS that appears to be moving east towards me. Had to make a run into Denton yesterday to make a pick up at Kohl's for my vacationing wife. I was able to pick up a Rx while I was in town so it wasn't all for nought. While driving through the countryside, I did note the number of presidential campaign signs that were still out, and indeed some seem to have been put out since election day. On the way home I made a point of counting and I passed nine residences, all rural, that had them up. They were all for the same pair of candidates.

Those blueberry pancakes that Patrick is having sure look good to me, I'll have the same with a double helping of bacon.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the restaurant tour yesterday; Guy, Sherrel, Karl, Garry, Ken, Chad, Tom O, Alan, Joe, Curt, Rick, James, Phil, Tom, Walt, Jerry, Patrick.

Another low-level day out in the train shed yesterday. I planted a few of those trees that I made the other day and ran trains. I am reviewing my options on the maintenance yard right now. I don't really have a good route in or out for ground traffic. One possibility is to put in a road between the two structures and cross the tracks into some pastureland. The other is to enter and exit off to the right into an essentially dead end in the staging yard.
View attachment 121114
The last two eateries on the layout are both pizzerias. This one in Ft Wish is a Blair Line kit, called Pizzaland. It's still in an undeveloped part of the layout. Yes, it is modeled after the real thing in New Jersey somewhere.
View attachment 121112
Lastly is Don's Pizza. I think that this is either a Smalltown or DPM structure. Thoughts all run together these days.
View attachment 121111
I'll eventually replace the greenish interior with something I can download off the Internet.

GT - The controversy continues. Not sure why some people refuse to get over it.
Sherrel - Telegram??? Even we had a telephone by then!!!
Troy - All ballast for modeling tends to be too large for its intended scale. Use your leftover WS ballast for gravel roads.
Terry - Get well soon.

Everyone have a great Tuesday. Stay safe. The fog has turned into a mist.
The wee people of the train shed certainly won't go hungry or thirsty.

Willie: We have a lot of banners and flags for probably the same 2 candidates here as well. All others have been removed.

Well, sometime after the first of the new year, the wife and I will be empty nesters for the first time in 34 years. The boy was successful in getting a contract on a house in a good neighborhood in town. Not real sure the neighbors are friendly though... Corner lot with his sister next door to the south. His realtor told him to write a letter about why he wanted that particular home and she thinks that's what sealed it for him.

Afternoon All,

Didn't accomplish anything this morning as the grandkids were here while daughter was getting a MRI of her shoulder and bicep area. This afternoon I was doing planning on the peninsula. Let's just say it didn't work out like I had hoped. The width is the issue (39"). I played with it awhile and I think I have a workable plan. The reverse loop (track) angles across from the first T/O on the left side (from the main) to the lowest one on the right side basically cutting the peninsula in half diagonally. I was then able to draw in 3 stub tracks on each side of the diagonal The bottom loop around is a 18" radius.

Thank you everyone for the likes yesterday.

Patrick- Congrats to your son.

Troy- I seriously considered that brand for my layout. Cost being one of the factors, I decided to go with WS ballast. Also I am comfortable using it.

Sherrel- Strange looking logo on that loco.

Willie- Nice structures.

Joe- Sorry to hear of the family not being able to participate. I'm lucky that my son, daughter and parents all live very close. Great photo.

Alan- It looks great.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 43*F with a 3mph SSE breeze where I'm at - at least it shouldn't be getting any colder.

Thanks everybody for the "likes" on my un-illustrated post!

Didn't do any mrr today; I was helping MHO with shopping for additional foods that will become part of the Thursday feast. Just as well anyhow, since I want the paint that I applied to the Dairy Queen kit on Monday evening to have additional time to cure. Don't want a bunch of fingerprints on the glossy surfaces. So tonight, I might actually have time to comment on what some of you all are doing.

Regarding the JFK assassination: I was in fourth grade and coming home from school, getting off the school bus, when a friend of mine who went to a different school was sitting on his front porch and his eyes were all red and puffy like he'd been crying. I asked him, "Hey Mark, what's wrong?" and he said "President Kennedy is dead." I think that was my first-ever personal experience of the death of a familiar person. Everything seemed so unreal the next few days...the non-stop TV news coverage that pre-empted all my favorite "kid" shows, schools being closed, my parents and all other adults acting very somber. I had never paid much attention to JFK at that age, but when all the memorial literature about him started appearing the following week, I felt genuinely saddened and thought the world was now going to be much different than what I'd previously known. I always consider this event to mark the turning point when the U.S. population began gradually polarizing between Left and Right.

Morning all,

Rewriting this as I was attaching a picture and the whole thing disappeared.

A peek at my progress on the rail tower: View attachment 121070

In this picture the guttering wasn't painted nor was the roof attached. More pictures will be in the build thread.

Wife's employer has shut down for the next 2 weeks due to covid concerns. She's in quarantine through Friday which has given me the train time. I'm also sleeping in the spare basement bedroom. No symptoms for her yet, but based on what she told me of her exposure, I don't expect her to have any.

Short days this week as due to the 2-day holiday, I only work 3-8's instead of 3-9's. Of course there's always on call, but that's been rare lately.

Patrick - when I first saw the photo of your semi-finished tower with its pale yellow paint and brown trim, I thought it sure looks like a B&O tower - but I wasn't sure since you live in a place that I don't believe was ever served by the B&O. But when I saw your other thread describing the build, the photo of the kit's box confirmed it for me! I spent a lot of time hanging out in towers similar to that one in my late teen years when I used to chase B&O trains around Baltimore.

Willie - for some reason, even though I love seeing your layout photos, I often seem to forget to click the "like" button - possibly because I get wrapped up in reading all of the detailed text in your post[?] If you happen to see a pattern where I've "liked" all the surrounding photo posts but not yours - that definitely is an accident!

I'm taking tomorrow off from work, so I can try one last time to get a definitive answer from the solar panel company on when they'll send somebody out here to temporarily remove the panels so that my leaking roof can be replaced. I've told the customer service reps several times that since it's been over 30 days since I paid the up-front removal+replacement fee, I believe I'm entitled to be given an appointment date for having the work done, and they always respond "Oh yes sir, I'll be sure to escalate this call and have them contact you within the next 2 business days!" Of course that never happens. Their scheduling department doesn't answer their phone, or respond to my requests that I make via the phone reps. I absolutely do NOT want to be compelled to pursue the "legal" option, but if I don't learn anything after my final communication attempt tomorrow, I'll be contacting a lawyer...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back