Running Bear's November 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening gang!

Flo, just a diet Dew for now.

Troy, Lots of good advice here on soldering and track, I can't think of anything to add to it!

Well, I've finally done it. I've been condemned to the basement! I'm only allowed upstairs to shower and go potty. How did I do it? Friday night, I had big plans for the weekend. I was going to knock out the lawn and leaf situation, get the S10 put back together, and go pick up our new pup. Saturday morning came and after blowing the leaves off of the driveway and the deck, I noticed some stiffness in my neck. We left to get the pup, over the next hour driving it seemed to get even stiffer, and overall I was feeling a little blah. After returning home I spent the rest of the day just chilling and watching the new dog, our "old" dog(he's only 2) and the cat all interact. They were all good with each other, almost too good to be true. Sunday morning I woke up to severe back pain from my shoulders to my butt, a fever, and occasional chills. Today I went for a DR. visit and Corona testing. Results in 2-5 days. SWMBO is a germaphobe, so the whole upstairs has been disinfected. She fixes my meals and brings them halfway down the steps, I have to text her when I need the bathroom facilities so that she can "clear the road" as she calls it. Me, I've got a cooler full over beverages and Percocet for my back and a LazyBoy recliner. Oh and the trains, but this is limited to what I will do on Percocet.
I'd still rather be playing with the puppies.
125093299_10224571879310180_7393768340437924782_n.jpg

The new girl, Bailey Marie
125559580_10224571880790217_8938242058266946761_n.jpg

Bud showing his sister around the yard.

Time for another Percocet, BBL

Not sure if this helps you or not, but in the UK, a number of N gauge guys (including myself) don't use rail joiners any more. They look wrong and are clearly visible in photographs. Instead, careful positioning of the track, which is glued to the trackbed surface is the method. Each piece of track should have one or more electrical feeds anyway (I use three for example on a metre-length straight).

Just a thought for you....

Rich
I like how you used the word "careful" about what I might do with track.... ;)

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 47*F and calm around here, with temps dropping to near freezing by morning. I wouldn't mind some frost, that will retard the growth of any grass that I may have to mow again before the start of winter.

Haven't had time to do any real posting of text on here this past week, I've just been incredibly busy - plus spending whatever "me time" was available to create some new structure decals, and redo others. It started last weekend when I brought the finished decal sheet [of Dairy Queen window posters] out to the trainroom: I realized that I had overlooked an important detail, the Dairy Queen logo from the late 'fifties all the way up through the year 2001, that I think is supposed to resemble a bright-red pair of lips with the phrase "Dairy Queen" in the center:
DQ_Logo_01_tiny.jpg
Walthers included an extra blank billboard piece to put it on, but no decal (*FAIL!*). But, truth be told, I sorta had fun creating my own version of this and others that I'll describe momentarily.

I only had one sheet of Micromark white decal paper left and I didn't want to waste that just to print a few lip logos. But then I was reminded of a problem that I've had with the billboard sign of my scratchbuilt McDonalds restaurant: The large decal on it had been peeling away and curling down at the top edge, so I just got disgusted and tore the whole thing off:
McDonaldsBillboardSignPeelingDecal.jpg

I wound up digitally making a new Golden Arches billboard sign from scratch in a much larger size on-screen, which I then shrunk down to 1:87 scale during the printing process. Furthermore, since this was done on white decal stock instead of transparent over a white background, I'll be able to use a different method for affixing it onto the billboard without using Micro-Sol [which often causes large decals to distort during the drying-out process]. I also discovered I needed window posters for the McDonalds like I had made for the Dairy Queen, so I googled some vintage McDonalds ad poster images from the late 'Sixties - early 'Seventies period, and scaled those down as well. Between these and the Dairy Queen logo, I wound up using the entire 8x11 decal sheet:
Combined_DQandMcDonalds_Decals.jpg

While the fixative was drying on that, I stepped outside and sprayed on a layer of primer gray over the inside walls of the Dairy Queen to make the outsides look more opaque rather than translucent:
DairyQueenKit_InsideWallsDarkened.jpg

Maybe next weekend I can start actually assembling the DQ...[?]

Good evening gang!

Flo, just a diet Dew for now.

Troy, Lots of good advice here on soldering and track, I can't think of anything to add to it!

Well, I've finally done it. I've been condemned to the basement! I'm only allowed upstairs to shower and go potty. How did I do it? Friday night, I had big plans for the weekend. I was going to knock out the lawn and leaf situation, get the S10 put back together, and go pick up our new pup. Saturday morning came and after blowing the leaves off of the driveway and the deck, I noticed some stiffness in my neck. We left to get the pup, over the next hour driving it seemed to get even stiffer, and overall I was feeling a little blah. After returning home I spent the rest of the day just chilling and watching the new dog, our "old" dog(he's only 2) and the cat all interact. They were all good with each other, almost too good to be true. Sunday morning I woke up to severe back pain from my shoulders to my butt, a fever, and occasional chills. Today I went for a DR. visit and Corona testing. Results in 2-5 days. SWMBO is a germaphobe, so the whole upstairs has been disinfected. She fixes my meals and brings them halfway down the steps, I have to text her when I need the bathroom facilities so that she can "clear the road" as she calls it. Me, I've got a cooler full over beverages and Percocet for my back and a LazyBoy recliner. Oh and the trains, but this is limited to what I will do on Percocet.
I'd still rather be playing with the puppies.
125093299_10224571879310180_7393768340437924782_n.jpg

The new girl, Bailey Marie
125559580_10224571880790217_8938242058266946761_n.jpg

Bud showing his sister around the yard.

Time for another Percocet, BBL
Geez Karl, sorry to hear that - hopefully the test will come back negative! :eek:

Morning all,

Western Omelet and bacon for me today, oh and some coffee. Thanks Francine!

Well covid has hit City Hall this past week. I was off last week, so at this time, I'm neither exposed nor close enough to have to quarantine.... yet!

As far as the light on the loco, would an LED even be feasible or am I whistling in the wind? Sticking to DC, so it may be I keep to the light.

Otherwise, it's supposed to be a nice day today with a high of 66°, currently clear and 39°.

Good morning fellas,
Pretty warm out this morning in Montana, 31 degrees outside.

Karl -

Back in September my wife and I caught the virus. No idea who we may have contracted it from , but probably some of those criminals my wife deals within the courts. She had symptoms for three days and was all better , me - it hit hard.
The first few days my knees and elbows were killing me, I figured I had exceeded my limits working on a tractor. Then my kidneys felt like a punching bag then came the worst headache I ever had in my life. It felt like my eardrums were going to pop out. Lost my taste and sense of smell.Then came the fever, I had that for 12 days. Im still not 100% yet but on the mend. I can now walk withoud stumblimg and staggering, headache is still there but tolerable. No taste or smell still, I feel bad for my wife as she is such a great cook. Only thing I can tell if its hot or cold.
Cant drive as the motion of moving while sitting makes me realy dizzy.
On another note I had not been sick with either a cold or flu bug for the past 30 years. I guess my body did not know how to fight it.
I was also in good shape, walking 5 miles a day and working out. Lost 27 lbs over the summer and 5" off my waist.

A person cant hide from it and the masks are basicaly worthless. My wife wears hers at work - I rarely leave the yard and dont associciate with anyone. Living in Montana is the originator of "social distancing"

The bonus was I had lots of time to watch old Greenfrog vhs Model RR tapes, Look through old magazines and think about what I want to model in the future.

Good Morning All. Clear and 45°. Didn't get as chilly as the forecast called for, it was for 38°. Currently wind gusts out of the north at 2 mph, but they will switch out of the south around 0900. Gradual warming trend on the way.

Sunny side up eggs and a big pile of sausage patties this morning Flo.

Thanks Guys for the likes and comments regarding Monday's post; Joe, Patrick, Sherrel, Guy, Phil, James, Garry, Chad, Curt, Ken, Karl, Rick, Jerry.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I installed a sun block. I have a 6' wide pair of windows on the south side, in front of the workbench. The upper level is above it. The upper level has a main, passing siding and one end of a classification yard directly in front of that window. Despite a 7' overhang, for about seven or eight weeks a year, I get direct sunlight for a couple of hours just after dawn and just before dusk at this time of year. I have always been concerned about the effects of the sun on rolling stock in front of the window, even though they do have Low-E glass in them. Low-E does not block the sun's rays, just the heat. So yesterday, I added a 5" high backdrop to the layout.
IMG_5084.JPG

The downside is that it blocks my view of the yard, pool and driveway if I am standing. Well, I am supposed to sit at the workbench so maybe I'll adjust!
I see that I omitted a few bars from the bar-hopping tour, so here are the last ones.
First is Derry's Pub, a very recent build of a Walther's kit that is sold as a Pizzeria.
IMG_5054.JPG

It's in a newer block of structures that haven't yet gotten figures added.
And last but not least, Marvin's Hi-Ball, a pool hall/saloon in Maulsville.
IMG_5063.JPG

Marvin's traces its origin to a DPM kit known as Goodfellows Hall.
I also continued to add ground cover and details to the maintenance yard in Budville. I should have a few pictures soon.

Jerry - You asked about uncoupling in HO. Mostly I use a magnetic tool from RIX, but I leave the trip pins on. They really don't bother me. Occasionally I use a BBQ skewer on shelf couplers as they don't respond to the Rix tool. BBQ skewers would work if you remove the trip pins. You're absolutely correct about only needing to uncouple one coupler.
Alan - Yup! Tankers. Mine are all on the layout. I like tankers from your era more then mine from a later era but I like all tankers and I have 128. I'll have to remember to get a few pictures.
Patrick - For a GP9 parts sheet, go to hoseeker.net. There are eight different Athearn GP9 exploded diagrams there, depending on your model. The parts of BB locos didn't really change much except the motor. That site is good for thousands of other product instruction sheets as well. Look around.
Joe -
Willie: I thoroughly enjoyed your Saloon tour. Reminds me of my days of bar hopping.
I'm glad that we can both remember those days. Sometimes insane!
Guy - Regarding the lack of graffiti on tank cars. Here in Texas, most all tankers are loaded and unloaded in fenced-in secure areas, where access by graffiti taggers is severely limited. The railroads around me, BNSF, KCS, and UP also keep them moving rather than leaving them idle.
Sherrel - Boy, can I tell some stories about growing up in the Bible Belt, especially since my Dad was a high ranking executive with a liquor distributor. While there are large portions of the city of Dallas (as well as a lot of other areas of Texas) that are still "dry", bars, beer stores and liquor stores abound elsewhere. Texas just recently allowed some alcohol to be sold beginning at 10:00 am on Sundays. Otherwise it's 12:00 noon and liquor by the bottle still cannot be sold on Sundays. Professional football games start at 1200 in the Central Time Zone, so sports bars had a tough time until they realized that the law read that you couldn't sell before 12. But that didn't mean that you couldn't run a tab and settle up after 12! Now they're legally allowed to sell at 10 on Sunday.
Karl - Hope that the test comes back negative. Get well soon otherwise.
Ken - Nice signs.
Walt - Sorry to read of your ordeal. Get well soon and good luck getting back to normal.

Gotta go now. Everybody have a wonderful day. Stay safe and isolated if you can.

Morning from out here? Just beginning to get light outside where it is supposed to reach 83 ° so it's said. Was pretty warm yesterday - topped out at 92 °

ROD and I spent several hours getting the two saws swapped around. Wound up having to drill new holes for swapping the stands. I wanted to keep my stand and crawling around on the floor in order to replace the nuts, washers, and bolts gave me some extra hurt for today - Some advil last evening took some of the pain away, but not all. Today we will take the extra saw to where it is going and then I have to go and fix that desk for the SIL before we lose this warm days again.

FLO - Stack of plain flapjacks with plain maple syrup this morning - top that off with a good sized pile of bacon and a glass of OJ.

KARL - Prayers for you, Buddy - no - not the dog! Get well soon.

TROY - last Christmas - the girls were asking me what I wanted and I pointed out one of thise electric soldering things company started with an "H". They got it off eBay for less than $50.00.
I had never used, or seen one before. It is a Godsend for sure - love it!

Later guys.

Walt - Thanks for posting those symptoms - wow, that is rough!
Here's wishing for a full recovery!

Thank you and Willie,
Actually we are happy to have gotten it and pretty much done with it. We don't worry every day now wondering if we are going to get sick. I've used my housebound time researching, buying off ebay, and I found this forum - so I consider the alternatives a win!

Good morning. When I got up it was 32° with a heavy frost but sunny. Now its cloudy and looks like rain. Not sure what the current temperature is.

Karl: New doggie is a beaut. That's a dynamic furry trio you have there. Sorry to hear of your symptoms. Hope the test is negative.

Walt: Sorry to hear of your difficult bout with the virus.

Ken: Great art work...one of these days, will get brave and try printing on my Testors decal sheets. Spraying the interior grey primer is a great idea, Many uses for that stuff. Saves my flat black for other projects.

Willie: Enjoying your Saloon tour. The SA Thrift store next to the Pool hall, is a nice touch.

Speaking of the Virus, learned today that oldest son will not be coming home this Thanksgiving. One of his buddies tested positive last Friday. There were also two positives at the grandchildren's school last Friday, so his decision is prudent.

Wife went in to sticker shock with the renewal of her Rinvoq for 30 days. Initially the Insurance quoted a co-pay of $70, and the price at the drug store turned out to be $ 302. The explanation from the Insurance rep was convoluted, but left us with the impression that this would be the monthly cost. Yesterday, she sent in the renewal, and the pharmacist called to advise the cost was going to be $1k....ouch! Wife called insurance company and asked what the scam was, she was informed that the cost was 25% of the Wholesale price of $4000 / 30... If it didn't work so well, I wouldn't let her stop taking it, so I have to re-arrange our finances to accommodate this cost, for the time being.

SEPTA ex RDG MU's hauled by CR GP-10s - Dale Woodland Photo.jpg

Dale Woodland photo of Conrail power hauling ex Reading Mus probably durig a SEPTA Bus Division strike in the late '70s.
Race Street 1975.jpg

Photo of Race Street Engine Terminal from Arch Street Overhang in 1975. Photographer Unknown.

Well... darn it's the afternoon here.

Went and did some minor grocery shopping and hit the hardware. Unfortunately, they don't keep much in the way of solder supplies there. And, before I go purchasing a top end soldering station, my next big purchase needs to be lights for the layout. I'm getting tired of triping over the stands and cords for my clamp lights.

Progress: I redid the curved run yesterday and got it glued down. Let it sit with weights overnight. Today, after a touch of filing on the solder joints, reinstalling ties, I'm pleased to say a single car runs well on it. I put a finger on the top of the car and barely felt the joints.

the one pictured is the least good of the bunch, and one I soldered straight, and let cool before I bent the track.
Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 2.02.46 PM.png

Oh, and no more donuts for a while. My skinny belt is on its last notch. Need to be good, and avoid the sweets to get it to open up a few more notches.

Those of you who recommend a soldering station - what does it do differently? How do you apply that to your work (specifically, track and power feeder/buss)?

troyphoto: I have the Weller soldering station Model WES51 which is an older model. I like using the soldering station since I can:

- Control the tip temperature
- Wide selection of tips
- Can do circuit board work
- Replacement tips are relatively inexpensive
- Rapid heating

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back