Running Bear's November 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,

Daughter called and had to pull the kids out of school this afternoon. They're now under quarantine for 2 weeks as they all went to the son-in-law's brother's house for Halloween. All were wearing masks, but his wife turned up positive, so because they were in contact, 2 weeks for them. Kids are upset as they had just returned to school on Monday.

At least I now know I'm not working on a bathroom next week.

patrick, good luck and best wishes on their quarantine. Our grandkids and their parents are on day 4 and do not have results back from their tests. Another after school kid has tested positive so it’s still a mess till results comeback.

Because of the above we will be doing the drop at the doorstep my daughters birthday cake and gifts and see everyone through the screen door.

TomO

I remembered to drink water to make up for the alcohol last night. But I need a couple Ibuprofen and the aforementioned injection of espresso. If this cafe had a real espresso machine, I'd ask for a read-eye

Karl: nice billboard. I need to get one for Uranus Fudge. Got a friend in OK who stops there every time he heads that way outta state. Which he does a lot.

In between news and doom scrolling social media feeds, this is what I did a lot of last night

View attachment 120381
Looks good Troy. I decided to take a social media break for a while. Not worth the stress- as that only kicks up my other mental health issues.

Chet -
Do Not Buy LG appliances.
We purchased an LG washer and dryer over 20 years ago, dryer is still working today. Washer went out about three years ago, but the needed part was no longer available. The serviceman warned us against purchasing any more, since he said that they were no longer made as well, and his company stopped working on them because of that and parts availability. Wife insisted on a new LG washer anyway because it matched the dryer! :( So far so good, but I am wary everytime it makes an unusual noise. Since then we haven't purchased any more of their products, even though we haven't had any issues. I have read bad reviews online and remembered you (and maybe others) commenting on their recent quality. The new freezer that I bought a couple of months ago is a Frigidaire that had excellent reviews, so we'll see if it can outlive me. The gas range/oven (set up for propane) is Maytag that is over thirty years old. I have replaced the electronic control board and one of the oven igniters with parts from the Internet. Heard nothing but good things about Frigidaire appliances.

Chet -

We purchased an LG washer and dryer over 20 years ago, dryer is still working today. Washer went out about three years ago, but the needed part was no longer available. The serviceman warned us against purchasing any more, since he said that they were no longer made as well, and his company stopped working on them because of that and parts availability. Wife insisted on a new LG washer anyway because it matched the dryer! :( So far so good, but I am wary everytime it makes an unusual noise. Since then we haven't purchased any more of their products, even though we haven't had any issues. I have read bad reviews online and remembered you (and maybe others) commenting on their recent quality. The new freezer that I bought a couple of months ago is a Frigidaire that had excellent reviews, so we'll see if it can outlive me. The gas range/oven (set up for propane) is Maytag that is over thirty years old. I have replaced the electronic control board and one of the oven igniters with parts from the Internet. Heard nothing but good things about Frigidaire appliances.
So Willie is the one who put the Maytag Repairman out of a job! 😂 😂

We purchased an LG washer and dryer over 20 years ago, dryer is still working today. Washer went out about three years ago, but the needed part was no longer available. The serviceman warned us against purchasing any more, since he said that they were no longer made as well, and his company stopped working on them because of that and parts availability.

We purchased a front loading washer and dryer form LG in 2007. Still going strong. Thanks for the warning on new ones -- I am not stuck on LG and when (if) we ever get the house started and moved into, there will be a laundry room in the basement for whomever moves in there (my mom most likely) and the main one on the main floor and the idea was to put the older one in the basement laundry room and get new ones for the upstairs laundry room. I am not stuck on LG so we'll have to see what is available when the time comes that gets good grades.

What kind of track and T/O's are you using? They look brass in the photo.

Curt: Track and T/Os are Micro Engineering Nickel Silver. Code 70 Flex and #6 and #5 Code 70 T/Os. I like the fact that ME's track looks good and that it's made domestically. The throws have a spring lock like PECO. The PRR side will be Micro Engineering Code 83 NS Flex and #6 and #5 T/Os. I have a few Shinohara Code 83/Code 70 adapters for the connections.

GP-35 # 721 leads the pack August 1972

Sherrel: Neat Consist! Like the photo.

ike the progress. Track should be going down soon.

Chet: Yeah man! Some goes down tonight. The before and after photos of your layout give me some hope I will be able to pull this off. BTW, I like the progression as your layout evolved.

I see that attitude a lot in the metropolitan areas in Texas. For the rest of the state the attitude is leave me alone with a lot less government.

Willie: Government is the biggest reason why it costs so much to live here...The public actually believes that by having local control, they have some say :rolleyes: 1 state with the capital in the center of the state, with an additional regional facility in the Northern Part, and one in the Southern part, Both within an hour to 90 minute drive of the capital. 21 Counties, some 450 local municipal governments each with their own mayor, council court etc.
And 529 separate school districts, and over 1000 Fire Districts. (We have five in our township alone). All with separate taxing authority...ka-ching!

People here don't understand why things are so expensive...they are angry, but have no clue what the problem is. (It's them!).

On the bright side:
Track Geometry Train @ Ridgefield Park 10-08-97.jpg

The Conrail track geometry train passing through Ridgefield Park, NJ in 1997. Conrail River Line. B-23-7 was permanently assigned to the Geometry train.

Joe - That's incredible!
Willie: Government is the biggest reason why it costs so much to live here...The public actually believes that by having local control, they have some say :rolleyes: 1 state with the capital in the center of the state, with an additional regional facility in the Northern Part, and one in the Southern part, Both within an hour to 90 minute drive of the capital. 21 Counties, some 450 local municipal governments each with their own mayor, council court etc.
And 529 separate school districts, and over 1000 Fire Districts. (We have five in our township alone). All with separate taxing authority...ka-ching!
WARNING: Trivia coming up.
Let's compare to Texas which likes less government and has no state income tax. Area-wise, our state is 268,597 sq miles compared to New Jersey at 8729 sq miles, over 30 times larger. A lot of this is sparsely populated West Texas except the city of El Paso. Population-wise we are at about 29 million compared to Jersey at not quite 9 million. That is over four times larger. Because of its size, we have 254 counties, but only 1200 municipal governments, 1200 fire departments and 1247 school districts. The metropolitan area of Houston is larger than the entire state of New Jersey, but with just 6.5 million residents, it is less populated.
That's just a few of the reasons that our taxes are low, less government. And a lot of oil revenue from state owned lands.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 52*F, calm, clear and dark in my locale.

Thank you all for the "likes" and/or comments on my previous post - Hughie, Phil, Willie, Patrick, Jerry, Tom-C, Gary (with one 'r'), Guy, Tom-O, Karl, and Sherrell!

Don't have any images in my "library" that dovetail with any of the ongoing discussions tonight, sorry about that!

Joe -
Ken: Fortunately my area of interest doesn't cover the East end of the branch which runs the B&O from East Side to Park Jct., so I don't have to keep up with the B&O also.
LOL, a B&O roster probably would use up a few years' worth of your allocated hobby funds [ask me how I know].

Those ******* manufacturers keep on coming out with stuff that I never even knew I needed...like these:
https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/general-american-8000-gallon-1917-design-radial-course-tank-car/
This is one of the few models I've seen that was still in interchange service during the early 1970's, and has a dome that more closely resembles what I've seen in prototype photos. A serpentine voice whispered "Hey, a pair of these would look great sitting on the fuel receiving track of your loco terminal...this may be your last chance to get 'em!" Next thing I knew there was an email in my Inbox from Tangent, confirming my order of two of the GATX "1936+ Lease" tank cars, #13912 and #13925. Too late now, the deed is done...:oops:

Good morning coffee slurpers! Hope this morning finds you well anticipating the election results-----yeah, right! o_O o_O
Willie, looking forward to your build on the Feed & Seed store.

Built in 1929.

GP-35 # 721 leads the pack August 1972
Sherrel, we call that the Skittle bowl, for all the different colors. ;) Nice pic!

I've heard nothing good to be said about LG appliances.
Is a tv an appliance? Anyway, I bought an LG 55" flat screen when I moved into this house, only because I couldn't find what I wanted in a Samsung. That's been 8 years ago....it's still working good......

Thanx all for the likes/comments on test car, wanted to photo other side, couldn't get to it.

EVERYBODY HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Morning all,

Currently clear and 48° in Doo-Dah with it supposed to be sunny and 73° today.

The city announced yesterday that due to us employees taking the leaves and reduced hours this past summer that the budget is still on track for our 1% pay hike on January 1st and in thanking us for our efforts, are giving every employee a Turkey (smoked or fresh) or a ham for Thanksgiving from a local butcher shop. This is my 6th thanksgiving with the city and they had never done it before, so I guess it's not a bad thing. Now to decide which I want. Always a decision to be made.......

Not much else going on here. Looks like I may have train time after all next week. The kids are placing a grocery order I'll pick up and take to the on Saturday as they will need some food during their quarantine. I'm kind of glad my week off won't involve me doing any real work, unless the wife thinks of something I need do around the house instead.

Good Morning All. Clear skies and 57°, going up to 77° after 75° yesterday. Spent time working in the garden yesterday, preparing for spring planting which begins in about 2 1/2 months here, Late January/early February. Hauling, spreading and working in those wood chips that the power company pruning contractor gave me two years ago. Adding to that, grass clippings from last summer and last winters wood ashes from the wood burning heater. I will cover that with leaves and compost later on, to be worked in about a week before planting time comes. All is dependent on cooperation from Mother Nature. The garlic that I planted about three weeks ago has sprouted and is growing well right now. I know that garlic is cheap in the grocery store, but it's probably not organic, and it's all the same variety; I do plant some of that as well as some heirloom varieties.
Speaking of the grocery store, I'm getting back into the normal routine with a grocery/beer trek this morning. Also have to stop by the hearing aid center at Sam's Club for a minor repair on one of my hearing aids. Broke a retainer last week while on vacation. It still stays in but I want it fixed nonetheless.
Bad news Tuesday afternoon when I returned from my daily walk. I noticed that there was a fountain of water coming out of the ground right by my water meter where I just had a leak repaired a month ago. Severe enough that I immediately had to turn off the water supply. My plumber would have repaired it for free, but I would have to wait until Sunday! MOH said no which I agreed to as well. I found another plumber that was located about seven miles away, but couldn't come until yesterday. The father & son team showed up around noon and were done installing metal couplings this time instead instead of the PVC one that has broken twice before, in about an hour. Son had to dig out about a half yard of heavy mud to get to it. The coupling broke between the time that I left for the walk, and the time that I returned, so the hit to the water bill won't be too disastrous. Thinking to myself that this could have happened last week while we were out of town.:( Got off reasonably with a plumber fee of only $160!:)

Something a little different for me today Francine. Make it a couple of hard-boiled eggs and a handful of bacon to go with that tall cool glass of OJ.

Thanks for all of the likes and kind comments regarding my current structure build; Patrick, Karl, Phil, Tom O, James, Chad, Rick, Sherrel, Garry, Hughie, Chet, Curt, Tom, Ken, Guy, Jerry.

I put in some modeling time out in the train shed again yesterday. As I posted, this is actually an easy build. These pictures show the structure before detailing and before I put the roof ridge and rooftop sign on. I'll be weathering it later as well.
IMG_4985.JPG

IMG_4986.JPG

IMG_4987.JPG

I also need to paint and install the gable ends under the eaves, but couldn't decide until late yesterday whether to paint them white or green.
This kit also comes with a smoke jack, real wooden pallets to be assembled, grain sacks, drums and a soda machine.
Along with weathering, some of the corner trim needs a bit of touch up paint and of course figures including some four-legged varieties need to be added.

Tom - That was a beautiful sunset picture that you posted Tuesday. We had one nearly as beautiful last night, but we were in the car headed out for Italian food and I didn't have the camera. I am still catching up on some older posts.
Curt - We too were dropped by an insurance company after filing a claim in '94. My daughter flushed a toilet and didn't realize that the flapper stuck open and it ran all day while we were all gone. It overwhelmed the septic tank and the water started overflowing onto the bathroom floor which eventually started warping. Even thought he claim was only for $900, the adjuster noticed the pool in the back yard with no fence around it. He also didn't like the wood burning heater, although it was here when the agent first issued the policy, and it was noted in our policy. A combination of these led to cancellation. I have been self-insured ever since.
Mike -
So Willie is the one who put the Maytag Repairman out of a job!
When you live here in the boonies, you learn how to repair your own appliances when possible. Service calls are outrageous and many charge a "travel fee" for driving out here.

Regarding the recent election. On our ballots, we had 24 races, which included nine uncontested ones. I scored my highest ever percentage with voting for winners in 23 of 24. Cannot comment on the 24th one yet.

Today is National Redhead Day. Celebrate by blowing a kiss at a redhead. For those of you across the pond, it's Guy Fawkes Day; watch the bonfires.
Everybody have a safe and a great day.

Last edited:
Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin. 54 now heading to mid 70’s and the sun has just appeared as the weather guessers promised.

I have no idea how the election is going except Terry is mumbling a lot and again was yelling at the evening news last night. No TV or online news apps are residing on my IPad. I have started to relax.

Road trip day. Greg, I will wave as we drive by you from I94. We are not sure if we are heading to Lombard Hobbies 1st or Hiawatha Hobbies. But, I will be at both today. The main goal though is a socially distanced visit with Terry’s best friend and the maid of honor at our wedding. She lost the family store in the Kenosha incidents by fire, burnt to the ground. She is a worst mess over the social interactions of the last few months because of the fire then I have been.

LG appliances. Yes, I consider the TV to be one. We have 2 LG TV’s both at 10 years old and still great. My daughter had redone her kitchen a couple years ago. We purchased the appliances for her that she wanted. LG refrigerator looked beautiful, big and a POS. Compressor leaked and destroyed a new kitchen floor the second night after install. They replaced the compressor. 2 weeks large the ice maker broke and a month late the compressor went out again. The LG service guy gave the daughter a service direct number at LG. Got a new refrigerator after a ton of calls. Last month the refrigerator just stopped, she contacted the secret number and got a credit issued. The cook top has had the ignition devices replaced twice and she has 2 extra devices the same LG servupice guy gave her.

I know my wife and I spent WAY more then we had decided but we have Wolf and Busch products in the kitchen but no issues.

Enjoy your day
TomO

Morning! I believe today is the last nice day we will have here for the next five coming months. The chinook is retreating to the south, and I really hate to see it go. 34° right now, with another 10 supposed to be added as the day progresses. Tomorrow, though, we are supposed to be back into the deep-freeze. - The lonely sport of ice-fishing begins next week, for me and the wife.

I've been doing another kind of fishing, the last couple of days. Trying to reel-in a CN policeman as I take photographs down by the local tracks. I've been hanging around the bridge over the McLeod River, trying to get a photo of engines coming off of it. Finally got a not to bad photo yesterday. The sun was not co-operating, though.
Four engines coming off the bridge. 2x SD40's and 2x ET44AC's:
11-04-2020_1pm.jpg

Not afraid of that cop at all, as I have permission from the local engineers to be there (but, stay off the bridge), and to photograph the engines parked in the yard.

Here's a photo of an engine celebrating 100 years since CN incorporation parked in that very yard. It also carries the Aboriginal Affairs logo. Photo taken two days ago:
CN 3881_ES44AC_Nov3 2020.jpg

I believe my next photo-op will be at the out-of-town staging area. I would would like to give that cartoon-cop some heavy exercise; get him out of that fancy new cruiser. He has made me angry enough to make him work for everything he wants to steal from the innocent people.

Willie - That is a wonderful feed store you have built. I'm so impressed with the speed you put structures together. A master builder, I suppose. Well done!

Thank-you to everyone who presses the like button on my mostly prototype posts.

I'm going to leave you one more modeling photo; risking a re-post, re-post, re-post situation. I'm doing it just to prove that I built an HO wheel-barrow for my hardware interior scene:
AceInterior_10-30-2020 (1).jpg

Except for removing the figure bases, everyone is anxiously awaiting installation.

That's all for today! Have a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back