Running Bear's November 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a similar model, and Bare Metal IMHO is the most realistic finish, soo much better than paint.

I definitely believe that. I'm just not as steady as I once was. The product itself is fine, my hands are the problem. Holding wrenches for years doesn't really transfer over well to holding tiny modeling tools and thread thin foil. Maybe I should have busted my knuckles open before I started 😆.

Maybe I may have missed any references to the passing of Sir Sean Connery in the Forum. But Sean Connery was in my opinion one of the greatest actors and well respected. Beyond his role as 007, unspeakably as a submarine Captain in Hunt for Red October or the Chicago beat cop in the Untouchables, he played a very convincing roles as a character actor and escaped being role modeled as James Bond.

He will be missed.

Greg

"Bond, James Bond"-Dr. No

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Started today with a bunch of chores. In the train room today I installed a diverging track on the T/O on the back highline and and did scenery below the back highline that needed completed (a slope). I'll take a photo or two tomorrow.

TomO- Great layout shots and future engineers.

Joe- Nice photos.

James- Happy Birthday.

Rich- Nice job on the diner finish.

Ken- I went through similar events earlier this year which is why I'm having to redo the layout. Nice looking collection of motive power and cabins.

Troy- Nice progress.

Patrick- Nice job on the tower.

Willie- Nice museum photos. Maybe Godzilla caused the derail.

Guy- Sorry to hear about the hassle and more nice photos.

Alan- The wall looks great.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Happy Birthday, JAMES! Your 52nd made me think back to mine.... Sakes Alive - would I, could I -- go back to then! May you have many, many more!

GUY - Damn - sure hate to hear of your hassel -- what a pain in the butt to have to go through.
Some people just have to exert their authority ... he knew you weren't out to cause harm!
I did not even think that CN would have any "railroad dicks" there? BTW - great photos!

James,
HappyBirthdayTrain.jpg

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 37*F, clear and dark with a slight breeze in my central MD neighborhood.

Thanks everbody for all the "likes" and/or comments - Justin, Hughie, Joe, Chet, Guy, Willie, Phil, Patrick, Jerry, Tom-C, James (Happy Birthday BTW!), Tom-O, Sherrell, Karl, Gary (with one 'r'), Curt and anybody else whose comment I might have missed!
HEY!!

Yes Sir, Mr. CJ came over to my house a few times when I first got started and i went to his house once. He's a Super nice guy and very knowledgeable! I miss him on here! We talked on the phone a few months ago and he seemed to be doing well. His grandson is playing baseball now and keeping him busy with Grandad duties. Sounds like a blessing and I can only hope to be as good a grandad one day (but not anytime in the next 10 years). Hopefully he'll get back on here one of these days.

Alabama is still here - come on back first chance you get.
Gary - If my wife decides to head down there to visit her sister anytime soon, I'll certainly keep that in mind! Glad to hear about Carey doing better - he was having serious medical issues when I last visited in 2012.
. . .
Ken: Love the cab track photo. Your screen solution is also how to article worthy.
. . .
Joe, I do appreciate the kind comment...trouble is, I wouldn't have any "before" images to show since I've now covered all of the I-12 fleet with those pseudo-screens. I might consider a separate thread on this forum though...

Wow, Curt - I sure hope the roofers don't tell me I have to tear down my layout, especially since I'm supposed to open my layout to tours during the October 2021 MER convention! IIRC, you had to remove yours so the contractors could repair water damage to the hardwood floor, right? My garage roof isn't leaking, and I don't think water can do much damage to my solid concrete floor LOL. (And I do have a ceiling above it as well...)

Guy - loved those shots you got of the BC Rail GE cowl unit, what a lucky find! Also a great shot of the SD40-2 exiting the bridge (to bad you had to get busted to capture it!), I magaed to get a similar shot in Decatur, AL during a family visit to my sister-in-law's in 2008:

IMG_1964.JPG

Last edited:
Salutations all. Go vote if you're a US citizen.

Blueberry Oatmeal today, Flo. And bacon. Always gotta have bacon.

Chilly and blustery day in The Fort here in NE Indiana. Only 36° with a high of about that today.

Did get some train layout work done. It's a learning experience.

GUY: I wanted to get out and do some railfanning/foaming here in my new hometown. NE Indiana has a lot of trackage. Unfortunately, the Railfan sites all warn that the NS rail police love to pass out those expensive tickets. We almost purchased a house that was adjacent to the main EW run through the area, but someone else grabbed it before we got serious about moving here. Talked the wife into calling a realtor, and the house had just gone pending. Oh well... Good luck at court.

Morning all,
Happy Birthday to James - not sure with the time difference to the UK, if that was yesterday or today, but I guess it depends where you on the planet as it may be tomorrow in someplace!!

Little bit of progress on the Rock Canyon railroad last night, I ordered the track! Not sure how many of you guys would use Peco track in the US, but for anyone that has, how does it compare to other makes in looks? I have gone part Code 80 (scenic) and part Code 55 (staging) with this purely dictated to by the staging double slip and 3-way pointwork I want only being available from Peco in Code 55, but the Kato bridge on the scenic section is Code 80. Id be interested in people's views thinking ahead to the bigger layout.

In the most non-partisan way possible, hope all you guys in the US voting today get who you want, I'll keep my views to myself on that one(!), and that following the outcome it is a peaceful announcement without violence or trouble.

Have a good day all (its 17 degrees C and slightly chilly as we approach mid-day in the UK)!

Rich

I wanted to get out and do some railfanning/foaming here in my new hometown. NE Indiana has a lot of trackage. Unfortunately, the Railfan sites all warn that the NS rail police love to pass out those expensive tickets. We almost purchased a house that was adjacent to the main EW run through the area, but someone else grabbed it before we got serious about moving here. Talked the wife into calling a realtor, and the house had just gone pending. Oh well... Good luck at court.

If it helps at all, over here you can and will be arrested and charged for trespassing on the railway. Not that I condone it, as I don't, but with the 3-prong security fencing we have up all over the line side, the railway becomes like Fort Knox. The Health & Safety culture that is extensive and way OTT over here, means that legally its the railways fault if you get killed or injured, as they somehow allowed you on to the track.

On the railway lines now, even track workers have to take a possession of the line they are on (even if its just a walking inspection) and no trains can run until they hand the possession back. The old days of guys walking the track checking joints and sleepers, standing back and acknowledging the driver as he goes past are long gone. Yes its far safer for the guys on the ground, which is the priority, but even simple things have gone - a member of trained station staff for example, seeing the signals are all at red, cannot jump off a platform to pick up a toy, umbrella or bag that has rolled off the platform and landed beside the track. He would (and people have been) dismissed for doing that, and with everything covered by CCTV now, nothing can be done on the quiet!

Rich

Morning all,

Currently clear and 45° (7°C) this morning and looking for sunny breezy conditions with a high in the mid-70's (low 20's C).

I voted by mail weeks ago so no poll hopping today. One thing to remember is that no matter the outcome, the sun will still come up tomorrow.
I'm just looking forward to not having all the political ads containing half truths at best and out right lies at worst.

I was told I'm on vacation next week as I have too much time accumulated, so with the holiday on Wednesday (Veteran's day), I'm only burning 4 days. My wife asked me how long it was going to take to redo the daughter's bathroom. I said I wasn't doing it, so it looks like I have a project next week. The daughter wanted an over the toilet cabinet, which doesn't fit her bathroom as the pedestal sink and old medicine cabinet are in the way, so Ill have to replace the sink with a new sink and vanity, along with removing the built-in medicine cabinet and replacing it with a new one, along with all the sheet rock work involved. Sounds way worse that it is, but the knees aren't looking forward to doing it. I made the mistake of doing the same work in her other bathroom, so they know I know what I'm doing. The boy wants to buy himself a house, so then I'll have 3 to keep up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back