Running Bear's November 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Clear and 42° to start my day. It's a cozy 75° inside courtesy of the wood burning heater. Perfect week ahead, after today's high of 68°, we're looking at highs in the upper 70's until a week from tomorrow. Possibility of rain next Monday and Tuesday say the weather geeks. Looks like the grill will get a workout for a few days. Lots of time to prepare the garden for next spring. I'll have to work around the bell and jalapeño pepper plants that survived the summer and have lots of peppers on them.
No return last night from my black and white Halloween visitor (skunk) in the yard. Hopefully, the two surprises that I gave it were enough to make it think better of living under my porch/house. In the past, they tended to make their dens about 250' away in a wooded corner of the neighboring wheat field. This one was an opportunist that moved in while we were away and there was no activity at the house.

Sausage, biscuits and Southern cream gravy for my breakfast this morning Flo. That is if Karl didn't eat it all. Tall OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks for the reactions and comments yesterday regarding the museum layout; Karl, Guy, Sherrel, Rich, Tom, Phil, Hughie, Chet, Gary, Ken, Tom O, James, Chad, Jerry, Patrick.

Still haven't started any projects out in the train shed yet. I am trying to decide which of the many projects I am going to commence. I did run some more trains yesterday, my townspeople really missed the action while I was gone. So far I have run about thirty locos since returning. Many more to go.
Let me add a few more pictures from the museum, again from their N scale layout.
IMG_4800.JPG

IMG_4801.JPG

An apparent earthquake here.
IMG_4802.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

And of course there's trains mounted on the walls.

IMG_4806.JPG

That's a G scale train/track encircling the room at the top.
IMG_4807.JPG

Rich - I reread your train control post from yesterday morning and have to once again complement you on such a fine post.
Joe - I too am challenged when it comes to soldering, despite trying for over thirty years. I can make good connections, but it is time consuming and frustrating. I have several pieces of track with warped ties that I either unsuccessfully practiced on or just plain f****d up. Never burned myself though! That is a plus.:)
But yours has scenery and people....
That's the problem, having to clean up everything before taking pictures! LOL :(
Tom O - That really sucks about the teacher testing positive and coming to school anyway. That and the covidiots who won't wear a mask in public and refuse to socially distance themselves are why we're in this situation; obviously worse in Wisconsin and some parts of Texas, like El Paso. The issue in El Paso is that Hispanic males won't wear masks (the machismo factor), and the city itself is 82% Hispanic.
My wife is just a TV junkie. News, home renovation shows, sports, cooking, and the Hallmark channel among others. She was this way even before the back to back knee replacement recoveries. Lately it's also included The Weather Channel, even when the storms are no where near us!
Chet - I thought that I had seen most all of your layout between your posts and your videos. I don't remember ever seeing the park scene. Excellent!
Karl - Nice layout pictures yesterday. If I recall, that layout doesn't exist any more, or does it? I could be thinking it was someone else.
Curt - I was aware of skunk's poor eyesight, but didn't know about being startled easily.

Today is All Souls Day in the Catholic church. The Hispanics call it Día de Muertos , or Day of the Dead. They generally have a family get together with food and alcohol in the graveyard at the site of their departed relatives. It is always interesting and unnerving to drive by cemetaries on this day and observe all of the parties.
Everybody have a great day.

Attachments

• IMG_4804.JPG
    IMG_4804.JPG
    441.1 KB · Views: 165
Morning! A very unusual morning in the north country considering it's November 2; 42°F headed up to 60°F. Wow! That must be breaking records. None-the-less, it is going to be a beautiful day up here in the north.

As I sit here enjoying my coffee, I ponder the $600.00 trespassing ticket I was given by a CN policeman two days ago. The cop, who was pure a-hole bye-the-way, gave it to me for being on CN property as I tried to get photos of a moving train. He was going to fill his quota, and couldn't care less what I had to say. It threw me into a-bit of a depression, with regards to trains.
The depression lasted for about 1/2 day, and then I realized I had a very good defense. I can logically assume that I have permission to be on the tracks, because I have spoken to so many engineers and switchers over the past year, as they exited the engine and headed to the bunkhouse.. I have asked them for permission to go around their engines and take photos, and they have granted that permission. So, I am going to court, rather than make that voluntary payment.

Yesterday, I went on the tracks with renewed vigor, and I did it with the permission of the engineer who drove the engine shown in today's photos. That extremely good hearted individual was driving a BCOL C40-8M, and he was the one who ignited the conversation when he called out to me as I was standing on the street while the engine slowly moved past. He called out that he would be parking the engine in the local yard in about 10 minutes. I met him there.

That engineer knew I had received the ticket the day before. He was the engineer of the train I was trying to photograph when that cop drove up. He told me though, to go ahead and photograph the engine at my will. To just be careful and don't get hurt doing it. A wonderful fellow!

Here are 3 of the many photos I took yesterday:
BCOL 4603_C40-8M_11-01-2020 (1).jpg

BCOL 4603_C40-8M_11-01-2020 (2).jpg

BCOL 4603_C40-8M_11-01-2020 (3).jpg

And, here is the last photo I took of a train before that CN policeman nabbed me for being on the tracks:
CN 5343_SD40-2W_10-31-2020.jpg

The engineer who brought in the BCOL train was driving that train the day before. It's one of the resident SD40's, collecting boxcars for the pulp-mill.

A long winded post today, but, I haven't been around for a couple of days.
Yep! I'm going to court in January, and I bet I beat the rap! Going to save myself $600.00 to spend on layout materials.

Have a good one!!!

Morning All! November already. The older you get the faster time passes it seems. I cut the grass for the last time Saturday and ran the gas out of the mower. Having spent so many years in the south, I'm still not used to mowing the yard wearing a hoodie! Had the granddaughter over for her first trick or treat. Most hoses did it Covid style: bowl on the porch, please take one or two, many houses opting out. At least we had one and she enjoyed it.

I got less work done on my build that I would have preferred. My son showed up needing help putting resistors on his freight cars for the layout signaling system. I'm also at that point where I'm "graining and staining" a ton of scale lumber for the upcoming work. It's tedious work, but the wood looks great when you're done.

I have an awning to build then the main building walls will be assembled, which is the first big milestone of the build.

IMG_3011 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Has anyone had any luck polishing these old cary bodies? If I can get this one polished enough, I may just clear it and call it done. View attachment 120220

Yall stay safe out there!

If it was mine, I'd remove any gross casting blemishes and flash, and paint it with Alclad Stainless steel (assuming you're going for a stainless unit) Alclad stainless requires a first coat of black, then a final coat of stainless. No matter how much you polish it, it's still going to look like a pot metal casting. Painted up, these look really nice (the one's I've seen anyway) and their pulling power is off the charts. If you haven't heard of Alclad, check it out here: http://alclad2.com/

Good morning modelers and lurkers. A beautifully crisp day in So. Central Wisconsin. 33 now feeling like 24 but no where near the howling 45mph gusts of the last couple days.

The house this Monday morning seems strangely empty with the grandkids not being here for their online classes.

Willie: I guess the way it was explained to the daughter the teacher wore a mask thinking she would not spread the virus. Hopefully she is right but if I was administration I’d think twice about bring her back. I was reading this morning day care centers are having this issue because of the low pay and the infected want that last check in full.

I don’t model the WC anymore but here are some pictures of my last 2 WC GP35’s and some tree scenes. Have a great day. TomO
BF76BC34-59E3-4541-BBF0-A595F38E6545.jpeg

9D2E7285-2FE1-4F5B-AF29-E83B576EE25D.jpeg

24C21832-3E90-4403-97FD-B0F38D857A96.jpeg

4466AE94-4B0B-4166-BF6B-86EE0505B4BE.jpeg

These are my 2 minor train engineers in training. They like the trains, really like the slot cars but love the hockey.
B3DF4ECA-6020-4333-9A5F-955EE59985C6.jpeg

Last edited:
If it was mine, I'd remove any gross casting blemishes and flash, and paint it with Alclad Stainless steel (assuming you're going for a stainless unit) Alclad stainless requires a first coat of black, then a final coat of stainless. No matter how much you polish it, it's still going to look like a pot metal casting. Painted up, these look really nice (the one's I've seen anyway) and their pulling power is off the charts. If you haven't heard of Alclad, check it out here: http://alclad2.com/

Thank you so much! I'll look in to that

Good morning y'all, it's (mostly) sunny in East Central Jersey this morning. 39° last I looked. It's also very windy.
Spent time on the layout yesterday, mostly gluing roadbed, and soldering wire drops. At least that keeps me on my feet, rather than sitting on my butt.

Karl: Interesting project...Do I detect another how to article to look forward to?

Ken: Love the cab track photo. Your screen solution is also how to article worthy.

Alan: That's a involved build...looks great.

That's the problem, having to clean up everything before taking pictures! LOL

Willie: The whole world's a stage...all you have to do is prepare it. I went back down to the trainroom last night and could not get over how much stuff is sitting on the layout, during the rebuild. FWIW, I try to avoid TV News.....and other programing. Since I cut the cable, I don't get a lot of sports, and since the NHL is rarely on over the air TV, I find little to interest me. The wife likes to keep the TV on from noon to bed time...mostly as "background", but since the speakers project right into the kitchen, where I sit when on my computer, I find myself bristling more often than not...

91 Bombay 7_09_1977.jpg

Archive photo of Oak island Engine Pit, aka 91 Bombay, early in the Conrail Era. The name comes from the street address of 91 Bay Ave.

700's at Darby Creek 1-19-64.jpg

Dave Augsburger photo at Darby Creek engine House in 1964. Note the journal covers are painted yellow.

Well I woke up this morning and realized that I am alive n kicking for another year thus far. I am gingerly celebrating another year of life! Whoo hoo! Had an early birthday dinner last nite at my folks house. My mother wanted to fix me a dinner to celebrate my birthday last nite as she knows Mondays are a bear at work and I am pretty much shot at the end of the day lol. Funny thing is I had completed a battery of test for the yearly physical etc. 2 weeks ago. Got all the test results back etc. I have a one minor adjustment to make and I am good for another 365 days lol.

Yupper it's November 2nd my day!

So I have to to get myself a birthday gift today lol we shall see what I come up with lol. My parents got me a gift card to our local Lowes hardware store something I can always use. My older sister sent me a nice aged (12 years) bottle of rum that's a bomb! Love it! My younger sister will be around later to give me a harassing like nobodies biz. lol.

I have my eye on a few items on Evil Bay I will surely let ya'll know what pans out!

Flo I gotta run so how bout 2 breakfast burritos and a super sweet tea (southern style) to go!

Later ya'll!

Well I woke up this morning and realized that I am alive n kicking for another year thus far. I am gingerly celebrating another year of life! Whoo hoo! Had an early birthday dinner last nite at my folks house. My mother wanted to fix me a dinner to celebrate my birthday last nite as she knows Mondays are a bear at work and I am pretty much shot at the end of the day lol. Funny thing is I had completed a battery of test for the yearly physical etc. 2 weeks ago. Got all the test results back etc. I have a one minor adjustment to make and I am good for another 365 days lol.

Yupper it's November 2nd my day!

So I have to to get myself a birthday gift today lol we shall see what I come up with lol. My parents got me a gift card to our local Lowes hardware store something I can always use. My older sister sent me a nice aged (12 years) bottle of rum that's a bomb! Love it! My younger sister will be around later to give me a harassing like nobodies biz. lol.

I have my eye on a few items on Evil Bay I will surely let ya'll know what pans out!

Flo I gotta run so how bout 2 breakfast burritos and a super sweet tea (southern style) to go!

Later ya'll!

James, happy birthday. How young? Stay away from Ebay if you are test sampling the rum!

TomO

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone.....sunny and a light wind.

Lost my first posting this morning so I'm starting over.

First plan for the rest of the day is working on the SONY 4k TV. It loses the internet connection when I turn off the TV. It's a pain to have re-enter my network password every time I want to watch Netflix. My other Smart TV's remain connected without me doing any re-connection.

The Packers losing at Lambeau Field!!! I think the Packers would have won if Lambeau Field was filled with fans. Hearing Go-Pack-Go in person at Lambeau is the 12 man on the field, if not another way to inspire the team to victory. Years before, the Packers never lost a Home Game!!!

Not much more to report.

Maybe later.............

Greg

Good Morning Everyone.....sunny and a light wind.

Lost my first posting this morning so I'm starting over.

First plan for the rest of the day is working on the SONY 4k TV. It loses the internet connection when I turn off the TV. It's a pain to have re-enter my network password every time I want to watch Netflix. My other Smart TV's remain connected without me doing any re-connection.

The Packers losing at Lambeau Field!!! I think the Packers would have won if Lambeau Field was filled with fans. Hearing Go-Pack-Go in person at Lambeau is the 12 man on the field, if not another way to inspire the team to victory. Years before, the Packers never lost a Home Game!!!

Not much more to report.

Maybe later.............

Greg

I heard today that one of the players on the Packer's got tested positive on COVID....I think this Thursday game is canceled?

Afternoon all and Happy Birthday Alcomotive.

Well, if nothing else I can say that I tried the Bare-Metal approach. If I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't. I'm just not as careful as I used to be. I think I tore more than I used. I could explain the back if I modeled a vehicle crashed into the diner.

I hope y'all have a great rest of your day.

20201102_131554.jpg

Afternoon all and Happy Birthday Alcomotive.

Well, if nothing else I can say that I tried the Bare-Metal approach. If I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't. I'm just not as careful as I used to be. I think I tore more than I used. I could explain the back if I modeled a vehicle crashed into the diner.

I hope y'all have a great rest of your day.

View attachment 120276
I've got a similar model, and Bare Metal IMHO is the most realistic finish, soo much better than paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back