Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In his book, Harvey Penick says "the woods are full of long drivers."
That is the truth, I can attest to that. Hell, I'm living proof! :D I paid $49.99 (1980s) for my set of golf clubs from Costco, bag included. It is possible I spent more money on lost balls! Drop a new one, take the penalty and play on.

I was often told to take lessons and practice. I never had the time. I was happy "hacking" my way around the course 2 or 3 times a year. I regret not having spent more time playing golf. It is a grand game and I enjoyed it.

And I thought it was going to be easy. I could easily hit a baseball moving at 80-90mph. I could even hit curve balls. The golf ball is just sitting there. What can be hard about it? Was I ever wrong!

It is not a game of brute strength. It is a game of precision.

I'm like you, @chadbag I haven't golfed much in the last 15 years or more.

I was asked to play golf with some bankers a few years ago when the company I worked for was in teh process of refinancing its line of credit.

When I pulled my clubs out of storage, the grips started to disintegrate in my hands... too much time up in the attic on hot summer days...

I had to rent clubs from the course. They had one of those drivers with a head the size of Jupiter...

Second tee... I teed up the ball a little higher since the damned club head was freakin' huge. Well... I apparently got under it a bit, and teh ball went a LOT higher than it went forward with a slight hook... The ball came to rest in a Hawks Nest at the top of a tall pine tree... about 30 yards in front of and to teh left of the tee.

I could try for days to replicate that shot and would never be able to do that again 🤪

Good Afternoon.

We have been surrounded by forest fires, with neighbouring towns being evacuated to the tune of 29,000 people displaced. Many highways are closed, and I don't think I can go south without a major detour to the east. I'm not sure, but believe the CN mainline to Vancouver is closed for now, as well.
Luckily, my town has been spared. I don't know why we have escaped, as it seems to go against physics. There is all that nice dry forest and kindling surrounding us. But, we remain intact and reasonably safe at this time. - We do maintain the 15min notice bags packed, and the dogs coming with us if it happens.
Today, we fed a small group of evacutees in our living room, and people have opened their doors to all strangers needing assistance. Life goes on.

I have been able to go downtown and get more photos of locomotives sitting idle:
CN 5677_05-08-2023 (1).JPG

CN 5677_05-08-2023 (2).JPG

CN 5677_05-08-2023 (3).JPG

CN 5677_05-08-2023 (4).JPG

And that's all I've got for now. Have a great evening!

Now I feel they are locked in by general proclamation to picking Bednard at 5’10” over my personal preference of Adam Fantalli at 6’2”. I hope though either are as good as their past has demonstrated and that Bednard will be as impactful as Patrick Kane was for the Hawks...
Well, the Hawks were terrible last season, and considering TV Media and Gary B both prefer the "Original Six" over the "orphan" 26, I'm not surprised they won. Hopefully, the Hawks will pick the best prospect with consideration to their need, as opposed to "Expert Consensus".
Last years "Pick of the Litter", dropped back to 4th, and went to Seattle, as everyone else went for positional need. I don't wish Bednard any ill wishes, but I can't help but think back to Nolan Patrick.

Good Afternoon.

We have been surrounded by forest fires, with neighbouring towns being evacuated to the tune of 29,000 people displaced. Many highways are closed, and I don't think I can go south without a major detour to the east. I'm not sure, but believe the CN mainline to Vancouver is closed for now, as well.
Luckily, my town has been spared. I don't know why we have escaped, as it seems to go against physics. There is all that nice dry forest and kindling surrounding us. But, we remain intact and reasonably safe at this time. - We do maintain the 15min notice bags packed, and the dogs coming with us if it happens.
Today, we fed a small group of evacutees in our living room, and people have opened their doors to all strangers needing assistance. Life goes on.

I have been able to go downtown and get more photos of locomotives sitting idle:
View attachment 168066
View attachment 168067
View attachment 168068
View attachment 168069

And that's all I've got for now. Have a great evening!
Great pictures Guy, thanks.

Golf is a great walk made better by having fun playing!

I have caddied for quite a few old ”name” players while in high school. I graduated in 1970. Palmer( super nice) Nicholas (jackass) Trevino ( outrageously funny) Watson ( just cool and not that much older then me), Archer (another jackass) Olive Moody (a true pice of sh..) Casper ( strange) and a few others for practice rounds before the 2 Western Opens held at Midlothian CC in Illinois in 1969 and 1973. I caddied for an unknown in the 69 tournament, Ron Cerrudo who finish 4th and tried to stiff me. The caddy master at the club and a few western Open officials handled that. Got 50 a day and 250 tip. In 73 I was able to caddy practice rounds during the week when pros showed up but not the tournament as I was working for the Club pro running the Bag Room.

Today, took an unexpected twist. On the way to rehab, we stopped and picked up a prescription. I still arrived 15" early, and immediately hooked myself up to my cardiac monitor, and had my vitals taken. I started out on the treadmill, gradually increasing speed and elevation, when I became lightheaded, and almost passed out. never saw anyone move as fast as the two nurses did. they checked heart rate, O2 and BP,and asked a bunch of questions about food consumption and hydration. The heart monitor indicated nothing unusual, and the vitals were all within limits. I had some Cranberry Juice, and was able to walk without assistance. That ended my day of rehabbing. Wife drove me home, and we had a high protein lunch.
I have absolutely no symptoms. Went to the Doctor, this afternoon, and he checked me out for heart, lungs, concussion ear infection and Vertigo. Everything was "good". Tomorrow, I go back to the rehab for more punishment. I've been temporarily barred from the treadmill, and will have to slow my pace on the other exercises. I was going to get blood drawn tomorrow ahead of the rehab, ( same suite), but I think I will postpone that until Friday, or next Monday.
Also, Model Railroader extraordinaire (and my friend) Howard Zane is 85. His Piermont Division has been in MR and other mags, Keller videos and his own coffee table book.
Karl: HZ is an amazing man. Fantastic Model Railroad also. May he have many more birthdays.
He's one of the few bigger names from the 60's and 70's that I never saw live
Willie: Me neither. However, Jimmy Dolan, owner of MSG and MSG Network, (also Rangers & Nicks), has broadcast several of his concerts live on MSG, especially the Summer ones.

Since the weather is finally improving, we plan on some planting tomorrow, and Thursday. And...Monmouth Park opens Saturday.

Golf

My sisters late husband tried to teach me the game, my ex father in law practically begged me to play, and a former co-worker would hit a bucket of balls with me every couple of weeks, but I never got further than the driving range. All over the last 30 years. It just never clicked with me. Once the stroke hit, I had given up on it all together. Then my step son a few years ago wanted to try out for the high school golf team but he had a terrible drive. I stood there giving him advice and encouragement with little effect. The wife said show him what you mean. I said nope, I cant do it anymore. Her and I went back and forth until finally I relented, picked out a club and took one of his balls , squared up and hit it. 1st shot went about 40 yards, next shot 60 yards, and several more even longer. Some to the base of the hill(see pic). All in all I was happy to be out driving a 16 year old!

But I never really got excited enough about it to want to spend a lot of time or money on it.

golfer.jpg

Old fart at the driving range!​

The best explanation of the game so far,

I'm out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back