Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A nice first coat of paint (Liquitex Raw Sienna). It looks better, isn't it ?

129.jpg

Hello and greetings to all . Sorry to have been away for quite a spell,but I have been busy. Guys it is with heavy heart that I have sad news. Yesterday (Saturday) my Mother of 85 years passed away at the nursing home where resided for the last five years. From what I guess,she must have had a stroke, or something like that,and I was with her,when she passed. Now begins the difficult task of settling her affairs,and laying her to rest. Your thoughts and prayers are most welcome. When the dust settles, I hope to post some photos of my more recent purchases,and maybe finally get some kind of layout up and going. I hope everyone here is doing okay,and keeping the trains running. Y'all have a good one. William.
Sorry for your loss. Prayers to you and your family.

While I am not a cheap modeler I do like to get value in the pricing I pay for models.

As a few of you are aware I have been looking for HO scale molten sulfur tanks cars for about 6 months. I have believed the pricing they have been asking for these is outlandish. I have made attempts at EBay to make offers or the buy it now. I have been shot down or ignored. If you have a source let me know, I want at least 2 but will take up to 10, numbers and reporting marks do not matter. $40 plus shipping is my good point. I change wheels and couplers so that might explain why I want to be around $40.

In that vein, what is the difference besides the number of gallons the tank cars hold, between a molten sulfur car and a corn syrup tank car? If you are aware please respond. Or if you can lead me to the source information I would appreciate that.

Hello and greetings to all . Sorry to have been away for quite a spell,but I have been busy. Guys it is with heavy heart that I have sad news. Yesterday (Saturday) my Mother of 85 years passed away at the nursing home where resided for the last five years. From what I guess,she must have had a stroke, or something like that,and I was with her,when she passed. Now begins the difficult task of settling her affairs,and laying her to rest. Your thoughts and prayers are most welcome. When the dust settles, I hope to post some photos of my more recent purchases,and maybe finally get some kind of layout up and going. I hope everyone here is doing okay,and keeping the trains running. Y'all have a good one. William.
Sorry for the loss of your Mother.

Afternoon all,

Been a busy morning. Went out yesterday afternoon to get a load of chat (broken limestone gravel) for the son to use in a path between his garden area and his fence. This morning we spread. His sister came and asked if I would haul the 2 trees they took out to the city's limb yard. They were both small trees and easily fit in the bed of my little truck. I then came home and did my yard work. I need to stand corrected on the temp yesterday. I said it was 94° which is what the Equinox said. The official temp in my town was 97°. Today we're expecting 96° again. Good news is the sprinkler system is working and the grass is less dry after running an all zones run last night and it firing off on schedule this morning. With the wind speed being up, it is still drying up too fast. Currently 83° with a feel like temp of 85°. Supposed to be "cooler" with a temp of 90° tomorrow and the mid to upper 80's the rest of the week. Some storms possible through the week as well. Not expecting much on the rain side of any storms.

William: Condolences to you and your family.

Afternoon All,

Started out with chores today. After they were done, I trimmed the 6 tree trunks and branches, drilled holes in the bottom of the trunks and glued a nail in the hole with CA. After that dried I lightly sprayed them with a brownish-grey rattle can. After that I was done for the day.

Terry- Nice layout shots and photo of you. I have always liked the MILW club car design or whatever it's called.

Hughie- That's a heart attack on a plate!

Patrick- Your luck is like mine.

Mikey- Good luck with that! :D

Dave- Neat photo.

James- Over all you did great and that's a terrific motive power line up. Personally, I don't like the black edges on videos, but that's just me.

Christian- Unfortunately these senseless acts are starting to spread through the world. I hope the asteroid comes quickly and ends all our stupidity. How much larger is the new and improved benchwork?

Louis- I'm very sorry to hear of your health issues. I hope everything works out for you. Great bridge photo.

William- You have my deepest sympathies. I went through this almost 3 years ago.

TomO- Great weathering job.

Willie- Nice scenes.

I hope everyone has a good night.

While I am not a cheap modeler I do like to get value in the pricing I pay for models.

As a few of you are aware I have been looking for HO scale molten sulfur tanks cars for about 6 months. I have believed the pricing they have been asking for these is outlandish. I have made attempts at EBay to make offers or the buy it now. I have been shot down or ignored. If you have a source let me know, I want at least 2 but will take up to 10, numbers and reporting marks do not matter. $40 plus shipping is my good point. I change wheels and couplers so that might explain why I want to be around $40.

In that vein, what is the difference besides the number of gallons the tank cars hold, between a molten sulfur car and a corn syrup tank car? If you are aware please respond. Or if you can lead me to the source information I would appreciate that.
Brother I feel your pain. I will be at my not-so-local LHS's next weekend, I'll check there. I have a long standing search for Walthers 932-5407 Maryland Midland 37 ft Trinity Industries covered cement hoppers. Originally they sold for $10.98. I've purchased them lightly used for as little as $5:00 to as much as $75.00 for an unbuilt kit (I got involved in a bidding war once). Currently I have about 35 of them, but are always looking for more.
Like you, all mine receive metal wheels, KD's and some are even sporting etched metal roof walks, as well as new numbers.
Funitconcrete.JPG

This is an all points bulletin!
If anyone has one they want to part with(at a reasonable price) or know of an LHS that has one in NOS, PM me!

Last edited:
This information is for modern 130 ton cars only. Obviously 100 ton cars will be proportionately different.

Molten Sulfur = 15,700 gal. Car length = 45' ~15 lb/gal
Corn Syrup = 19,600 gal. Car length = 42' ~11 lbs/gal

Sulfur cars are insulated and have heater coils between the tank and jacket. Corn syrup cars have only insulation between tank and jacket.

I don't remember where I got this information from, but it is less than 8 years old. The wt/gal is approximate and I found it on the Internet. This is for cars manufactured by Greenbrier Manufacturing. I may have gotten it from their website, but I no longer have it bookmarked.

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my Mom 10/15/22. I have an idea how you feel.

On April 27th I had a routine doctor's appointment. They did an EKG and sent me to the ER in an ambulance. That was the first time I was conscious in an ambulance. They paramedics were great young men.

My first ambulance ride they sent too pretty little lady paramedics. I told them "You are going to need help; I can't get up" I was unconscious not long after the fire truck arrived. I don't even remember going to the hospital the next time. Both times I woke up in my hospital room days later.

Back to this last ride. Thursday evening in Franklin Square Hospital's Emergency Room. Southeastern Baltimore County has more than its share of whackos and addicts. It looked more like an insane asylum to me. You could make a reality TV show. If you like reality TV, personally I don't. I was lucky not to have to wait in the waiting room. My poor wife had to wait until they got me situated and she could come in the back with me. You should hear her tell of her wait! My wife is a funny lady. Especially with her Hungarian/Baltimore accent. :) And she does not suffer fools gladly!

I was uncomfortable, a little short on breath and sweating for about a half hour. I was ok, I've had this before, no big deal. They told me I had had a heart attack, probably more than one. I don't believe them, but they said bloodwork and EKGs don't lie.

They did something, I'm not sure what. I can't hear people wearing masks. They know what they are doing, my wife was comfortable with it. I have not had any issues since. My sleep is still erratic, but I have not woken up "uncomfortable" since. I still get sleepy at the usual time of 6pm. I don't always sleep more than four-five hours. That was normal for me for most of my life. These last few years I have been sleeping almost 8 hours at night. Until this started that is.

On May second, my Mom's birthday. She would have been 91. I went back to see the cardiologist. He said my EKG was "not dangerous" and I was ok to drive.

Now I must go on Wednesday morning May 10th for something else and again in July for something else. I have paperwork explaining it all. My wife thinks it is all good. I trust them. I did not work hard for long in college. I trust the experts. I was too busy "perking and working and having a ball!" It's a good thing I made all that money and I'm cheap. These medical emergencies get to be expensive!

I'm sorry I have not said anything sooner. If I have been "off" that is why, forgive me. I really don't like to talk about it. I want to get it over with and move on.

That has been the story of my life, one catastrophic health problem after another. I'll weather this storm; I have been through worse. They did not send a priest to give me last rites this time. It can't be too bad.

Now you know why I love living in southeast Baltimore. Life is cheap, medical bills are not. On the bright side I have health insurance this time! I can't wait to see what the co-pays are going to be.
Shocked concerned, but glad your wife was with you. Yo napot kivanock, spelling may be iffy. not coming around for days would scare the hell out of me. take care.

Sorry for your loss having lost my dad only a couple of years ago,and having to settle his affairs you have my sympathies. I loved my dad to bits but at 92 he had a good innings.

Good Morning All. Clear and 68° after a brief thunderstorm last night before midnight. I found 0.35" in my rain gauge this morning. It was an event that was originally in the forecast last week, removed on Friday, but happened anyway.

We went to Dallas to pick up the new to us car yesterday. Took way longer than I liked, but I guess it's all part of the game.
View attachment 167897
My wife is on the road with it and our oldest daughter on the way to a four day "girls" trip to Fredericksburg TX for their own winery tour and tasting vacation. I was invited but declined. I can do a couple of in-house projects without having to pick up my tools every night while she's gone.
Afterwards, I went by Discount Model Trains and picked up some stuff. I haven't unpacked it yet since...when I got home, I found two large boxes from UPS on the porch from Chet. A lot more odds and ends from the late Logan Valley Railroad. One prized catch is a complete box (18"x24"x18"), packed full of trees.
View attachment 167898
As many of you might remember, I dislike making trees and I am not particularly good at it anyway. Many of these are quite large and will be planted soon. Many more smaller ones underneath.
There are some structures, detail parts and figures as well. One container with over 100 painted figures.View attachment 167900
I am big on using figures on my layout with over 1000 mostly hand-painted (by me) already there. I'll be working these in ASAP.
I'll be giving a closer look at the other stuff in the next few days as I sort it all out.

Meanwhile, I charged up the camera battery and downloaded the progress pictures of the BBQ food trailer site that I had been working on.
View attachment 167907
View attachment 167908View attachment 167909
View attachment 167910

Todd - One of the surest signs of Spring here is not the earthworms, but the emergence of the snakes from their winter dens. Here that's usually late March, but I must have missed them this season. I had earthworm movement in my compost pile in February when I was moving it to the garden site.
Curt - It is a toss-up to me whether I like the blue/yellow warbonnet paint scheme or the red/silver one better. Both are better than most any version of the BNSF "pumpkin" scheme.
Mikey -

A walk up 2 or 3 flights of stairs in a dorm will fix that.
Louis - Best of health moving forward.

Missed both the Coronation and Kentucky Derby yesterday. Oh well! More interesting things for me to do.

Everybody have a great day. I will.
I always admire the effort you use to maximise your figures, I recognise some of the cheap Chinese ones, they definitely benefit from a new paint job
IMG_8440.jpeg
IMG_0463.jpeg
IMG_0465.jpeg
IMG_0470.jpeg
IMG_6705.jpeg
IMG_6713.jpeg
IMG_4229.jpeg
IMG_4231.jpeg

Sorry to hear of your loss, and you have my thoughts and prayers.

Good afternoon, all,

It was a gorgeous sunny day with highs in the mid 80s.

This morning after mass we went to Bruch at the State Park, and then hung around there and enjoyed the late spring day. Everyone had the same idea. It was packed, but worth the wait for a table.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back