Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, Everybody!

1685171503731.jpeg

..."anything you say can and will be used against you"... I still wonder why people are so willing to talk themselves into situations they had nothing to do with.
They think they are smarter than everyone else and they can talk their way through anything. Know-it-all people are too stupid to realize they don't know everything. Bull shit goes a long way until it meets the law and or the courts. Then only the facts and hard evidence matter. As you say, these know-it-all people often provide the facts and evidence with thier own words. Pick up any newspaper and we can see it happens at all levels of society.

All this talk and this song comes up on my music player. This song takes me back to those dark days.
"Where am I to go, now that I've gone too far?"

My ex-wife was crazy, but through her came the crossroads that change the course of my life and saved me from the 'twilight zone".
Knowing I was becoming a father opened my eyes. I realized I don't know it all. Daddy can't take risks. No more living in the danger zone.

I no longer live that lifestyle, but I still love the music! Is it just me or do we all look back and see mostly the fun times?

"Living life comes easy if you know which way you're going
Got to see yourself in other's eye's, surprised?"

"I stand Not crawling, not falling down"

"Everybody needs to start their own fire"

The soundtrack of my life is hard and heavy.

Last edited:
This weekend, like every day in America, we get to enjoy our freedom in any way we choose.
As we enjoy this weekend we remember and honor all those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. As we should every day.
We should also remember our Allies who have stood by us. Without them this great nation may not have been possible.
1685178607926.png

I am grateful for all those who served. Their service has bought and paid for my freedom!

Last edited:
For those of you using a rub of mustard or oil on your brisket before seasoning, that's called a "binder" in the BBQ world

I typically dry brine mine overnight by applying kosher salt to the trimmed brisket, placing on a rack and backing sheet back in the fridge . The next morning the meat is moist enough to not need a binder. I then add the rest of the rub.

Typically, my brisket rub is 50% black pepper: 25% Garlic Powder and 25% mix of Onion powder and Lowrys Seasoned Salt (remember that the meat already has a dry brine of Kosher Salt from overnight. Don't need to add much if any more salt.

Since the kamado is an indirect cooking method, and since I have difficulty keeping my kamado under 275°f I shoot for somewhere between there and 300° - That should put me in the 8-hour cook range.

Now for the controversy: Fat side up or down on the grill?

I like Fat Cap up. Once the meat hits the Stall (internal around 160°) make a foil boat and put the brisket in. Any extra fat is either soaking into the meat or collecting in the foil boat. I shoot for 205 internal, but I'm trying to learn probe feel for doneness.

Here's James the Canadian Pitmaster dueling Fat Cap up or down. I've got the slightly smaller version of his Kamado Joe Classic (mine is a ver 2) with the Slo Roller. I normally do single indirect, but may go for the double indirect this time with a water pan like he does.

And for those of you keeping score: I'm up in detroit playing little toy soldier games...

Had to change hotel rooms at midnight. Was unwinding in the room for about 15 minutes, and the smoke detector started chirping... had that happen with these hardwired industrial grade ones in our apt in Los Angeles... usually means the detector has gone bad.

So I got a fresh room.

This is a fairly new Hyatt, so I'm surprised it happened.

Game convention is going well... hoping I get to play opposite the guy running this army. He said he appreciates the game, and the history it teaches, but if he's going to play the German you-know-what's from the 1940s under You-Know-Who... he feels it's only appropriat to paint them as the clowns their leaders used them as....

Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 7.35.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 7.35.03 AM.png

Unfortunately, he did not win Best Painted at last night's event.

I'll post more pics after today's event

Good morning from just east of Austin, Texas. We are at the son’s and other than heavy traffic from Edmond, Ok. driving into Austin yesterday was ok, we have had lots worst driving here. The 7 hour drive per Maps ended at 9 with 2 driver switches and a McDonalds break. We don’t eat in the car Fort Worth was a mess with the express lane entrances near the race track closed but the third entrance was open. Temple, Texas took 50 minutes which is 40 minutes longer then normal. A miracle did occur though. We averaged 21 mpg in the SUV over the 2 days of driving. Normal around WIsconsin is 17. Gas, we paid leaving home $3.29 per gallon, Kansas was $3.49, Oklahoma was $3.15 and Austin was $3.19.

Siri, we don’t use Siri and until Thursday I never even enabled Siri. But, Thursday I plugged the iPhone and maps into the car system and it said I HAD to enable. She was helpful. Going out to dinner at 8 last night the son was driving Terry’s SUV and asked why I have the phone plugged in, told him we wanted Maps displayed on the car monitor. Turns out I could have used Bluetooth. In the restaurant parking lot, he fixed it in less than a couple minutes. Bluetooth is enabled.

Traffic was moving so we skipped our normal City of West, Texas stop for Kolaches. We stop heading West at Slovaks and East bound we stop at the Czech Stop. This is the north end and beginning of Texas’s Kolaches trail… We get greeted by the son unpack the car and he goes, no Kolaches?

enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Well, I'm going with mostly cloudy and 67°, even though the weather app says partly cloudy. Continued mild weather for the next ten days with possible rain Monday.

Yesterday, I finally made it out to the "back 40" with the mower, for just the second time this season. Mostly it's a strip of grassland (30'x300') between my hayfield and a wooded area around the barn and the old hog pen; an area that I mostly neglect. It is the source though of much firewood for wintertime heating. The area also borders the west and north side of my pond. I do have to maintain it as that's where the levee and drainage swale runs through and that needs to be kept somewhat cleared to be effective.

I did finally also get around to freezing some of the homegrown Broccoli yesterday. Not as much as I wanted or was prepared to do, as some of my freezer containers have disappeared. I'll do more today when I empty the Broccoli "cubes" into gallon Ziplocs. It seems that the freezer containers got re-purposed by my wife for other stuff. They are the perfect size for a meals worth each.

Alexa, Siri and any others are all freaky. My grandson was enamored with Alexa a few years ago when he could control all of the lights in the house by voice command, and lots of other stuff as well. His Dad had installed the receivers in every room. He became more wary after I told him that she was listening all of the time, when he cursed, when he called his brother dirty names, when he was talking to his girlfriend (and others) on the phone, when he farted, etc. He took the thing out of his room that night. The family has since moved and now has only two installed, kitchen and family room. My wife has one (gifted by daughter) and she argues with it all of the time!

I finished up the rolling storage drawers yesterday out in the train shed. So far I have just used it for the dial calipers and the squaring jig used for assembly of structures. I have some other stuff in mind but just haven't gotten to it yet.
I also decided on my next project, I have a small odd-shaped area to landscape that is between two tracks and really isn't useful for anything.
IMG_3512.JPG

It's kind of a no man's land owned by the railroad. It will be a good place to just put trees and ground cover, maybe an armadillo or raccoon. That's Fred & Red's to the right, next to it is the General Store and then the Antiques Barn.
IMG_3517.JPG

IMG_3513.JPG

Karl -
Willie, Nice roll cart. Careful with that organization. A clean workbench is a sign of a sick mind!
Not to worry, the workbench will still be unorganized but I will be able to find what I need. My concern is the stuff that gets put into the drawers that I'll forget is there and won't be able to find.
Todd - Even though I do considerable trimming on a brisket, I always leave a small layer of fat on it for the very reasons that you posted.
Louis - It's only my workspaces that seem unorganized. Professionally I was a production planner and project manager. Some projects that I oversaw took 18-36 months to complete, such as new product introduction. Re-arranging the layout of a production department might take just 3 months.
Curt - I could leave the wheels off, but I am positioning it under the layout and want to be able to wheel it out and use the top as a temporary extra workspace.
Tom O - I can't believe that you skipped the Czech Bakery in West!

Looks like there's someone new out in the skies this morning. A cropduster that I haven't seen before.
IMG_3518.JPG
IMG_3521.JPG
IMG_3522.JPG
IMG_3523.JPG
IMG_3524.JPG

Everyone have an awesome Memorial Day weekend. Keep those grills going.

Good Morning All. Well, I'm going with mostly cloudy and 67°, even though the weather app says partly cloudy. Continued mild weather for the next ten days with possible rain Monday.

Yesterday, I finally made it out to the "back 40" with the mower, for just the second time this season. Mostly it's a strip of grassland (30'x300') between my hayfield and a wooded area around the barn and the old hog pen; an area that I mostly neglect. It is the source though of much firewood for wintertime heating. The area also borders the west and north side of my pond. I do have to maintain it as that's where the levee and drainage swale runs through and that needs to be kept somewhat cleared to be effective.

I did finally also get around to freezing some of the homegrown Broccoli yesterday. Not as much as I wanted or was prepared to do, as some of my freezer containers have disappeared. I'll do more today when I empty the Broccoli "cubes" into gallon Ziplocs. It seems that the freezer containers got re-purposed by my wife for other stuff. They are the perfect size for a meals worth each.

Alexa, Siri and any others are all freaky. My grandson was enamored with Alexa a few years ago when he could control all of the lights in the house by voice command, and lots of other stuff as well. His Dad had installed the receivers in every room. He became more wary after I told him that she was listening all of the time, when he cursed, when he called his brother dirty names, when he was talking to his girlfriend (and others) on the phone, when he farted, etc. He took the thing out of his room that night. The family has since moved and now has only two installed, kitchen and family room. My wife has one (gifted by daughter) and she argues with it all of the time!

I finished up the rolling storage drawers yesterday out in the train shed. So far I have just used it for the dial calipers and the squaring jig used for assembly of structures. I have some other stuff in mind but just haven't gotten to it yet.
I also decided on my next project, I have a small odd-shaped area to landscape that is between two tracks and really isn't useful for anything.
View attachment 169093
It's kind of a no man's land owned by the railroad. It will be a good place to just put trees and ground cover, maybe an armadillo or raccoon. That's Fred & Red's to the right, next to it is the General Store and then the Antiques Barn.
View attachment 169095
View attachment 169096

Karl -

Not to worry, the workbench will still be unorganized but I will be able to find what I need. My concern is the stuff that gets put into the drawers that I'll forget is there and won't be able to find.
Todd - Even though I do considerable trimming on a brisket, I always leave a small layer of fat on it for the very reasons that you posted.
Louis - It's only my workspaces that seem unorganized. Professionally I was a production planner and project manager. Some projects that I oversaw took 18-36 months to complete, such as new product introduction. Re-arranging the layout of a production department might take just 3 months.
Curt - I could leave the wheels off, but I am positioning it under the layout and want to be able to wheel it out and use the top as a temporary extra workspace.
Tom O - I can't believe that you skipped the Czech Bakery in West!

Looks like there's someone new out in the skies this morning. A cropduster that I haven't seen before.
View attachment 169088View attachment 169089View attachment 169090View attachment 169091View attachment 169092

Everyone have an awesome Memorial Day weekend. Keep those grills going.
WILLIE,
years ago we had issues deciding which of the 2 Kolaches places in West, Texas should we stop. We were going to both. So a decision was made, Slovaks going west bound to see the son and The Czech Stop heading east. When I drive back in a few weeks I will hit up the Czech Stop as i will need a few to make it to Bentonville, Arkansas.

When traffic was moving yesterday, it moved so we just kept going. Plus, we survived no Kolaches. We don’t even bother any more looking for them in the Austin area.

I have an economics question for those smarter than me. In light of the possible debt default by the US government, why are Social Security and Medicare affected? They are both funded by incoming payments from American workers and a trust fund, not by allocations from the government. Is this just fearmongering, or does the computer that spits out the checks or makes the deposits just shut down? Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh and whilst on the subject apparantly a new software is making it easier to steal cars, I do not know the details but it has to be computer interfaced. do not leave important paperwork in your vehicles. also for those that use sat nav it may be best to not actually list your home as your home,although your last journey will likely be a big give away.
Again no details,just doom queen, we personally have our car behind the house, and not near the road for easy removal, as an EV owner we are likely more vulnerable to technological break ins, sighs.

Supposedly on some cars the thieves can break into the cars internal CAN network through an interface in a headlight system (CAN is the internal communications network that cars have for the different pieces to talk back and forth and coincidentally, if I understand it correctly, CAN is also the data bus for the LCC train automation system). So basically they can tap into the cars network and tell the doors to open or whatever by using an interface inside the headlight system. Cars can get around this by encrypting their internal network communications, which more and more cars are now doing.

KIA/Hyundai also have a problem where they can be started with a USB if you have a plain old key based system (not the push to start systems). I don't know the details but supposedly lots of TikTok and YT and other videos that explain it are out there.

I have an economics question for those smarter than me. In light of the possible debt default by the US government, why are Social Security and Medicare affected? They are both funded by incoming payments from American workers and a trust fund, not by allocations from the government. Is this just fearmongering, or does the computer that spits out the checks or makes the deposits just shut down? Inquiring minds want to know.
Willie: I'm not sure...so much misleading information circulating. I'm of the opinion that this is fear mongering. Sec Treasury has changed the date to 6/6 from 6/1, so that raises another question. The whole act is part of the ongoing political theater and accompanying food chain.

Actually SS and Medicare are funded by general government budgets. They say they go into the trust fund but what really happens is they send IOUs to the trust fund and put the money in the general fund and then pay the IOUs as necessary to cover the needs of the trust funds. Its all a scam and book keeping nonsense.

TL;DR -- your SS and Medicare taxes go into the general funds of the United States and not into any specific SS/Medicare only trust fund. They are general taxes and treated as such with book keeping sleight of hands and phoniness to lend a veneer of propriety.

Now for the controversy: Fat side up or down on the grill?
I always cook everything with the fat side up. My thinking is the fat will work its way through the meat.

I like your rub! Mine is almost identical. Instead of the seasoned salt I use sweet Hungarian paprika. Paprika is not sweet, it's just how they call it if it is not spicey. Sweet as opposed to hot Hungarian paprika.

I never use water with beef. I think it steams the meat and I don't want that.

I could be completely wrong about everything! That is just my way of cooking.

Enjoy your beef, I wish I could sample it!

I always cook everything with the fat side up. My thinking is the fat will work its way through the meat.

Yes -- moisture in meat is from fat, not water. This is why crockpot based slow cook meat often tastes dry, despite soaking in water based broth/soup/drippings. All the fat has been rendered out. And also why some cuts of meat taste drier and why things like Bison tend to taste dry -- they have low fat content. And things like Rib Eye and Wagyu taste great and feel moist -- lots of fat.

This is why sous vide works great -- it cooks at a low temperature for a long time that doesn't cause all th e fat to render out and also causes the connective tissues to cook and soften really nicely. (And other reasons)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back