Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,
AC77FF3D-A7EB-4E41-9301-FC562EDC6E67.jpeg

The morning was spent with Dad at VA. After getting home I spent about 5 minutes doing a little paint touch up on the new pieces of fascia. After that I turned into a chauffeur for the second time today but this time for the wife. Tomorrow, I plan on finishing the wife's sewing machine cabinet.

Troy- He looks very well fed. Ours around here look anorexic. Cool video. I've seen a couple of his porch pirate ones. Sorry to hear about the birds but I guess it's the circle of life.

Hughie- Nice location for the build. It does however look like a driver had an accident in the parking lot. :D

Karl- I'm glad you're feeling better.

Jaz- How did you get the purple sheen around and in the water?

TomO- Sorry to hear about all the family crap. I haven't dealt with it yet since Dad is still around. Although I received no help over the 6-8 weeks it took to clean out their house (renting). Of course, both brothers expected me to drive furniture and other things to VA and MD from FL. The middle brother is retired and a widower but never offered to help. Still not happy about that, especially since he had us come up to VA (Mom, Dad and me) for a month two times to help him with his wife before she passed.

I hope everyone has a good night.
I had a glass ornament light I aimed at the point I needed and took several pictures until I got the right colour

Hey Shop Dwellers, just a quick check-in. Haven't had time to participate here because I'm starting a layout blog on MRH. Don't worry, I am NOT defecting! I just wanted to put the blog over there so it would get broader exposure. So far, the vast majority of the comments have been supportive, although [predictably] a few naysayers have also chimed in ("There never was a ________..."). Most likely they missed the part of my opening post where I explained this is all fantasy with no actual prototype replication intended.

Past bedtime, hafta run!
Mrh?

Good Morning! 73F and mostly cloudy here in Columbus, Ohio.

T-minus 12 days to oldest daughter's wedding in Savannah, Georgia.

Other than a dog and a cat, I'm the only male in our household.

Stress levels are high. Estrogen levels even higher. Send help.

Edit to add: Has anyone seen my man card? I seem to have misplaced it.
1. Do you love your daughter
2. Are you ok with the groom
3. Go check your suit fits, shoes polished, take two lots of underpants!
4. Prerecord in case you tear up and need to use backup
5. Do not tear all over the dress, especially if hired!
6, check car,tyres good, fuel high,
7. Ensure any presents are in a place you can find them at the point you need to, avoid nee safe places
8 see flo on the day early and eat a small meal to settle your stomach not too greasy, have a bottle of water to hand in case of nervous/dry throat
or a sweetie for same reason
brush teeth you need to smile for the camera A LOT
9, hug family whenever your girlie hormones hit - except whilst vows are being exchanged
10 you’ll be fine,mantra, I’ll be fine,I’ll be fine,I’ll be fine
11 optional, warn groom if he ever upsets your daughter he is gonna big in a big heap of trouble

7. Ensure any presents are in a place you can find them at the point you need to, avoid nee safe places
8 see flo on the day early and eat a small meal to settle your stomach not too greasy, have a bottle of water to hand in case of nervous/dry throat
9, hug family whenever your girlie hormones hit - except whilst vows are being exchanged
11 optional, warn groom if he ever upsets your daughter he is gonna big in a big heap of trouble
I think maybe change #11 to
Warn Groom "If you upset my daughter,
remember, I have a gun permit, and so does she"
🤣 🤣

Such a waste of life, unabated, surprisingly even encouraged by many. Nothing, not anything is even considered in an effort to abate further loss of life due to how it infringes on the lifestyle of so many, especially those who could vote in the laws to limit the carnage. So easily accessible through lies, stealth or just legal purchase. The intentional and even accidental use changes lives of families forever. The effects of alcohol reach far and wide making the death tally of gun use pale in comparison.
Yeah, I would never go out and kill someone after having a drink. Uh-huh, so I guess you're sayin that was the intent of everyone else who killed someone after a drink or two, right?
Our priorities are skewed and our justifications clouded by lies.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 60°, 99% relative humidity, no wind, no rain. In the pre-dawn dark, there appears to be 3.25" in the rain gauge, about 2/3 of it fell after 5:30 pm. That ought to saturate the ground rather well. That's 7" this month, keeping up with the traditional wettest month here is May. By comparison, we had 5.75 in April and a meager 0.13" in January! In just two months here, we received more than Sherrel gets in a year! Surprisingly we are not under any flood watches this morning. I'm ready for some sunshine which I don't think will occur until tomorrow. At least I won't have to add water to the pool, but the temperature has dropped 8° since Sunday.

I spent time yesterday sorta preparing the guest bedroom for remodeling while watching it rain. In between showers, I made three trips to the dumpster with my son's last remnants, Brittany Spears posters, Michael Jordan/Dennis Rodman Posters and the few remaining clothes in the back of the closet - He moved out at least 17 years ago and we ignored that room! I am paying a contractor friend later to remove the popcorn texture on the ceiling and re-tape and bed the room. Wife hasn't decided whether she is going to do the paint or not; but first she needs to select a color. From past experience, that could take 3-4 months! Meanwhile I have the new ceiling fan/light but can't really put it up until the paint is on. The 41 year old one still works fine though.

Thanks for the many likes regarding yesterday's post; Joe, Sherrel, Smudge, Tom O, Chad, Karl, Hughie, Greg, James, Dave B, Patrick, IB Ken, Gary, Mikey, Rick, Steve J, Guy, OB Ken.

Yesterday's trip out to the train shed was short due to the persistent rains with the ensuing flooding of part of the yard, temporary of course until it was able to run off. I posted a picture yesterday of a flatcar and a John Deere 9620 tractor that I intend to make into a flatcar load. In that picture repeated here, there are two John Deere 50 tractors posed on the car.
IMG_0960.JPG

I decided that their era didn't overlap with the 9620 and it didn't make sense to put them together. So off to the vehicle box they went and I got out a pair of JD 6220's that would be more appropriate.
IMG_0972.JPG

I searched the web for pictures to model after, and came to a surprise, John Deere does not use wheel chocks when they ship these things. They just use tie-down chains. So I put away the bag of ties that I was going to use and started looking for my chain. And looked and looked and looked! I cannot find the two packs that I have. So the saga continues.

While I have been on this forum for 11 years, I basically stopped going by MRH due to the "better than thou" persons over there. I wonder how long it will be before Joe notices, although I do think that he sometimes fans the flames.
Sherrel - I guess that if one is used to staircases, they don't always pose a problem. As fit as I stay (ha ha) from walking a mile every day, second floor stairs give me issues. I just don't know how you and other folks here with basements and upper floors do it. I'm guessing that it is just something that one gets used to.
Tom O - That is quite a story regarding your in-laws. So sad that Terry had to do through what she went through to respect their wishes. Sad also is the rift in the family now. Regarding the sister, KARMA.
James - The only hobby shop that I patronize in the Dallas/Ft Worth area any more is Discount Model Trains. They are in Addison TX which is a northern suburb of Dallas. It is a great store, everything is discounted 20% off MSRP. I have been going there since 1992, and everyone that I know in the modeling world is just as high on them as I am. They are a brick & mortar store only, no internet sales. There are a few other places in the metro area, but I have stopped going to them as I just don't need to.
Jeff - I hate RMD's on the inherited IRA's. I am soon to be in a position where RMD's will total more than my SS. And to top it off, I will have to soon take them on my own IRA's. Problem is that we have been frugal all of our married life and don't know what to do with the extra cash!
Ken (D&J) - Apathy didn't go far in my county. Residents voted down tax increases several years ago.

Everybody have a great day.

Morning again,

Have a follow up meeting with Da Feds again through the noon hour.

Still raining and supposed to remain in the 50's for the day. Wichita had 2.99" yesterday with about another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch Monday night. Expect about another 1" today. At my house 40 miles east of the Wichita airport, I've only had around another inch yesterday with about that much again expected today and tonight.

On the "holier than thou" mentality of some members on some websites, every site has some of those kind of members. I no longer go to some car sites for that reason. So it isn't an MRH only thing.

Try to BBL.

Strap your 1911 on to your side beforehand...

Good Morning!

Gonna be a beautiful day, so I'm going off to finish the fence and be done with that one. Seems like the client and surrounding neighbours are very happy with the work. No flowers got stomped over the build, and the dogs only escaped once through the open fence.

Even though I'm just starting, it's very enjoyable building the pieces for a small world where big, sick problems don't exist. I'm trying to build the world as it should be, in my view.
I was up late last night trying to finish the first Sylvan truck. Here's the final photos:
52 Ford_05-25-2022 (1).JPG

52 Ford_05-25-2022 (2).JPG

I'm not good enough to make them look real, but that's a good thing. If they just look like models, then they won't be driving away on me.
I do have a Sylvan Fruehauf trailer for it. That will be built at a later date.

Just reporting in for a coffee, but, it's time to make a move. Have a great day everyone!

Spent some time, 3 hours over a total 6 hour spread out in the train room at the bench and under the paper mill. I added fiber optics to the machine building and needed to test fit where the fiber optic strands will goes through the 2” foam.

While the machine building is on and off the layout I hope to finish the lighting. Add some more venting, electrical boxes, pipes and general water management from the roof. So instead of opening up some new packages of those things I went to the bins. Pictured is just a portion of my parts and detail storage.
View attachment 146425
The BIC lighter was used to flare the ends of the fiber optic to create a light bulb effect. Terry quit smoking in 2014 so it is at least that old.

Its intermission time for the NY Rangers and Carolina Hurricane. Switched over to You Tube and Boomer Diorama, If you haven’t checked him out. You should, his scratch built light fixtures for his brewery are a work of art and oh so fricking easy.
I like your spare parts bins. You wouldn't have a couple small springs for freight trucks, the old metal ones ?

I wonder if the kd coupler ones would work?

Dave LASM

Good morning from the loveseat in the living room at home in So. Central Wisconsin. Miserable looking outside, cool and the rains are coming. The Farmers Market trip today is cancelled due to the uncertain rains.

I posted yesterday my parts bins for adding things to the paper mill buildings. I am most happy modeling my paper mill complex and I am going to try to get the buildings to a 80% level from about the 50% they are at now.

5A5285D9-D66E-4894-8B15-CB00F6791D6B.jpeg
572A289C-4C45-440E-A04E-42CEF03C4609.jpeg
C2B5485A-4BF9-4681-9CE9-77019E0CD48D.jpeg
2827B348-7C66-423A-8363-E3717B2CE300.jpeg

A horrific day in Texas yesterday. We have discussed guns here before and how things are different in the USA versus other countries. That is not a constructive conversation. I am a legal gun carrier because times have changed for this previous very anti gun person. Nobody needs a AR15.

But our politicians have offered up their prayers to the victims family and now hide from the media questions. I have contacted the 2 Jack asses in the US Senate that represent Wisconsin even though one of them actually only seems to create tax breaks for his and his family business interests. He spurns even his own party and his past weekend told the Wisconsin Restaurant Association they don‘t need help, everything is looking up!

There is nothing wrong with background checks and NO ONE is going to take your guns away. Making it tougher to qualify should not be an issue. You need a license and testing to drive a vehicle

DON’T become numb or ignore these events, think of your kids, grandkids or the neighbors kids. Act!

Good Morning!

Gonna be a beautiful day, so I'm going off to finish the fence and be done with that one. Seems like the client and surrounding neighbours are very happy with the work. No flowers got stomped over the build, and the dogs only escaped once through the open fence.

Even though I'm just starting, it's very enjoyable building the pieces for a small world where big, sick problems don't exist. I'm trying to build the world as it should be, in my view.
I was up late last night trying to finish the first Sylvan truck. Here's the final photos:
View attachment 146447
View attachment 146448
I'm not good enough to make them look real, but that's a good thing. If they just look like models, then they won't be driving away on me.
I do have a Sylvan Fruehauf trailer for it. That will be built at a later date.

Just reporting in for a coffee, but, it's time to make a move. Have a great day everyone!

Guy, you are a breath of fresh air. Your modeling and especially your photography is so much better then you feel it is. You truly capture the feel of those big locomotives when you post the pictures? Your empty yard pictures convey a great sense of I AM THERE with you.

No flowers being harmed during the fence build made me chuckle. Thanks I needed that this morning

Hope you enjoyed a great hockey game last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back