Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all,

43 and sun, mostly calm.

James - Great pics and history

Hughie - paint effect on transfer bldg very well done

Curt - old layout was FINE, thanks for sharing video

Todd - pulling the pin this fall? I am contemplating the same, but inflation will card

Patrick - sounds line you may have to park the kayak out front

Willie - more nice wide shots of layout!

Tom O - hope the funk is behind you

Back later, Dave LASM

63° and partly cloudy, looking for a high of 73°.

Its not like I can enjoy is much, banished to the basement. I was thinking of building some benchwork, BUT every time I get up and walk around the nose starts running like Vesuvius and the coughing starts.

Boss had been ok with the Covid cases at work, as he was the 1st to take off with it. I spoke to my work partner last night, she was off most of last week with it an still feels rotten (she was NOT vaccinated) and still testing positive. I may have tested positive, but only seem to have a head cold. No aches, pains, fevers, chills or trouble breathing. I think that is what the vaccine got me. No immunity, but a lessening of the symptoms.

I did get to strip the details off of a P2K GP9 and get it in the alcohol bath to remove the factory paint. It will reappear afterwards as a chop nosed WM GP9. Get rid of the Armour yellow and gray on it! Yech!
wm45.jpg

Chopping the P2k noses Is pretty easy, building the 1 piece windshield not so much, but I've done it before.
WMGP9-35.jpg

Willie you sir are correct. Its was not USPS's fault. They just deliver the mail. My concern was the offer of voter fraud that concerned me. Straight to the board of elections I would take that! Homie don't play dat game!

Curt. loved the video! But can ya put a muzzle on that bird!! LOL!

Breakfast was just left outside the basement door, BBL

as another day off from work, and the reason for the holiday becomes lost.
Very true, Guy. Quite honestly, how many Canadians still remember Queen Victoria? Her biggest accomplishment was being grandmother to the Kaiser, and her reign lasted for a long time....I wonder if there will be an equivalent day for Queen Lizzie? Grandson Harry, is no prize, but at least he hasn't started a World War...yet. :rolleyes:

Willie: I love the scene where the Stack Train is blasting through.

66° and sunny. Today's high of 77°, was reached at Midnight. Last two days were brutal. Last night around dinner time, we finally relented and kicked on the AC. Lawn service finally came this morning, they were last here on the 11th. We had fertilized on the 12th, and with all the rain last week, the lawn looked like a hay field. Fortunately they got here before code enforcement did.:rolleyes:

Good Morning to Everyone out there in Model Railroad Land. Sunny but cool in this part of Wisconsin. Rain is in the forecast, but we'll see about that. One of the local weather women couldn't even get the right Monday for Memorial Day!!! This weekend promises to be nice even maybe hot weather. I remember when we did our group Memorial Day Gold Wing trips the weather was cold and a miserable trip for the most part.

This past weekend I spend both Saturday and Sunday at the diamond in DuPlainville, Wisconsin. For those who are not familiar with DuPlainville, it's where the CN mainline crosses the CP Mainline. At one time a Milwaukee signal tower was standing guard at the crossing. I saw nine trains in total on Saturday and 12 trains on Sunday. Mostly covered hoppers carrying Potash, oil tankers and car carriers. Motive power included NS, BNSF, CP, CN and several that I missed.

1653321499827.png

The diamond crossing tower is long gone once the Milwaukee ended operation on the west bound mainline.

Once in awhile you may see the Wisconsin Southern run a train down on the CN mainline. It has trackage rights to I believe DuPlainville and then has its own line traveling east into Milwaukee.

At times there was 10 or so vehicles parked along the CP main and many had radio and listen to the progress of trains and changed viewing locations several times during the day. I was going to get a railroad scanner, but I realized all I need to do is follow these guys when they move to different locations.

Both days it's was fun to catch a nap while waiting for a train to pass-by. There a great Bar & Grill at the diamond that has good burgers. I've seen single locomotives stop on one of the two CP mains and catch a lunch at the Bar & Grill. But, I passed on stopping since I had Riley with me.

1653322509202.png

The tin ceiling is a give-a-way to the build being well over 100 years ago. We have had our informal model railroad club meet for lunch at this landmark.

I been watching Boomer's videos on weathering cars and his methods to fade a piece of rolling stock.

Nothing to report on the modeling side of this hobby other that I ordered some Gouache paints for weathering. They are pigments of different colors that are applied. White used for fading or a color close to the base color is applied, allowed to dry and then removed.

That's all for now........................

Greg

###############

IMG_0253.JPG
The MNS car was a bargain that I purchased at a Swap Meet for seven cars for $35.00 . All had Kadee couplers, weathering and metal wheel-sets.-Greg

I guess, no, I know one could go both ways on the vaccine.
Getting some annoying work done in the basement. I have a small section of the basement walled off as a storage area with access outside via a sliding door. I keep the excess lumbar in there for the railroad. A lot of the wood has been just standing up against the wall. I finally got around to installing some racks to hold the wood and get it up off the floor. Looks much more open in there now. I'll end up storing more stuff there now.
Been keeping an eye out for more of the Wolf Spiders. They're pretty quick. I'm sure there are Skinks in the basement too. I occasionally find their little turds. They have a white end to them. I hear em once in a while when they flop onto scrap wood or foam board under the layout. No "Ooffff" sound, just a flop noise.

All spiders have venom. But, not all spiders' venom is medicinally significant. And some spiders, although they have insidious venom, have fangs that can't pierce human skin.

Wolf spiders have a painful bite, but their venom isn't too nasty... And they are fairly non-aggressive, usually only biting when heavily provoked.

Squirrel!

In my birdfeeder again.

He (might a she, kinda fat. Named it after Phat Gus from Mark Rober's squirrel obstacle course video) keeps jumping and knocking over the shepherd hook the feed hang from. Not a BLAM! over it goes... but repeated jumping take its toll... And at $40+ a bag for the "No Mess" seed that won't germinate, I'm tired of feeding his phat arse.

Thinking of trying the Cayenne Pepper mixed in the birdseed. Anyone have insights on that?

Squirrel!

In my birdfeeder again.

He (might a she, kinda fat. Named it after Phat Gus from Mark Rober's squirrel obstacle course video) keeps jumping and knocking over the shepherd hook the feed hang from. Not a BLAM! over it goes... but repeated jumping take its toll... And at $40+ a bag for the "No Mess" seed that won't germinate, I'm tired of feeding his phat arse.

Thinking of trying the Cayenne Pepper mixed in the birdseed. Anyone have insights on that?
If it is jumping to the feeder, you would have to move the feeder.

if it is crawling up the pole, a baffle works. We tried grease and Cisco on the poles but the little buggers still got up there.

Cayenne pepper had no effect on our squirrels

Dave

Squirrel!

In my birdfeeder again.

Spray the feeder with a Cayenne/water mixture. Deters squirrels but seems to have no effect on birds. Also, how's your feeder mounted?

Afternoon All,

Started out helping MOH sanding and staining the 1928 sewing machine cabinet that was her grandmother's. After lunch I added trees to the miner's village after cleaning the mainline and the 2 main reverse loops. The last detail part (women doing laundry) should be in today's mail. After that the vehicles need taken apart and weathered but I'll start that after Saturday and my friends coming over.

Well, the Modelers Forum is shutting down after 15 years and I'm really going to miss it. Its main direction was scratch building and craftsman kits from which I learned a lot and the members were very friendly. The death knell was that it had to be migrated to a different platform and the problems were frequent which the owner couldn't fix and didn't want to continue incurring the site costs.

Thank you for the video likes yesterday.

James- Sounds like a nice day with lots of cool photos.

Hughie- Nice job on the building.

Patrick- I've been in similar projects with both son and daughter.

Willie- More great layout shots.

TomO- And way too much fake injuries and drama.

Guy- Thank you. The good thing is that I was able to save about 80% of everything including T/O's that I don't glue down. The kit should turn out to be another great vehicle for you.

Dave- Thank you.

Karl- Very nice job on the Geep. You have no idea about noise. My son and wife each have a Blue & Gold Macaw. Talk about noise and making a mess. I call them Jethro & Jethro (from the Beverly Hillbillies). The wife doesn't like that. 😲

Greg- Good to see you posting again. Nice 1:1 and modeling photos.

I hope everyone has a good evening.

If it is jumping to the feeder, you would have to move the feeder.

if it is crawling up the pole, a baffle works. We tried grease and Cisco on the poles but the little buggers still got up there.

Cayenne pepper had no effect on our squirrels

Dave
Unfortunately, living in a condo-community where we have little space in front or behind is difficult. We have bushes in easy jumping distance no matter where I put the shepherd's hook

Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 4.01.45 PM.png

and I can't park it in the middle of the grassy part, or the lawn crew gripes, takes it down, and I have to go put it back up when I notice the overly large squirrels collapsed in a bloated feeding stupor next to the downed feeder...

Off to camera right, off scene, is a low platform feeder with shelled peanuts I hoped to make enticing for them in exchange for leaving the expensive feed alone. They only attack the peanuts when the tube feeder (pictured) is empty.

I picked up some cayenne pepper at the GFS store today. Told the checkout girl I was having squirrel problems.

"You going to barbeque them?" was all she asked...

Here's the main culprit. He does have buddies, but this is the main one.

Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 4.01.59 PM.png

Afternoon all,

Been busy with stuff for DHS tomorrow and Wednesday. Finally slowed down a bit.

Gotta meet the wife at the eye doctors in a bit. She got a late appointment so I could be there.

Dave: I moved out of the low area in town in 2002, and told the realtor that I didn't want to be in that area when we were looking to buy a house 8 years ago. That said, if I need a kayak, the town has real problems....

Troy: Looks like a tasty squirrel to me!!! Of course I haven't eaten one in almost 50 years when dad and I were hunting them. I just don't hunt anymore and haven't since we moved to Kansas from Michigan in 1975.

Everyone have a good night.

Good afternoon, all! Another pleasant day with temps in the low 80's. Rain is forecasted for tomorrow.

For the most part the Transfer building is complete. I want to add a couple of decals to the wall, a chimney to the roof. There are definitely some parts of this kit that were card stock and should have been wood. The brackets for the loading dock roof and the roof over the front door are of a thin card stock and easily damaged. Peel and stick leaves something to be desired. All in all, the building is pretty nice, and I like the way it turned out. I have placed it on the layout, but it is not yet planted. Thank you to all for the likes on this build.
1653341988959.jpeg

1653342009217.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back