Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning! Overcast here in Ohio today, but at least it's not raining. I hope to head home from the office mid-day today so I can mow my grass forest this afternoon. If I can start mowing by 3:00, I'll be done by 7:00, in time for dinner. Although, the grass is so tall and thick, it may take longer because I can't go as fast without the mower bogging down. So, I'd like to start sooner than 3:00 if I can.

Morel Mushroom season has just about gone, and I have not found any this year. Last Fall, a tree fell across the spot where I always found them... Not sure if that's what kept them away this year, or if their food in that spot finally was consumed in its entirety.

We are less than 2 weeks away from a 12 hour road trip to Savannah, GA for our daughter's wedding. Not sure if the old Honda Odyssey will be big enough for everything we are taking for reception decorations. Even renting a U-Haul to drag the stuff down there will be less expensive than renting stuff there. So... I'm lookin g into small U-Haul trailer as an option. The Odyssey has a tow package, so no worries there... Just need to figure out logistics of storing the trailer while there... or returning it, then renting another for the ride home. Or, I may just ship the stuff home and drop the trailer off in Savannah after we get there.

Have a great day everyone!

Forgot, those of of you that don't play with big trucks - when you slide your tandems, you are attempting to balance the trailer weight between the tandems and the tractor drives. The Fed says for this truck and trailer we have a max of:
Steers 12K
Drives 34K
Tenders 34K
With Gross weight at 80K. None of the 3 above can be over even if you are under gross.
I always wondered why the tandems slide, thought it had something to do with the ride, rather than weight distribution. Is it a ride issue as well?

Good morning all,

51 and partly sunny. Beautiful spring day, leaves are really unfurling!

We had hail pass through on my afternoon commute, the roadway was covered in one location. I had to stop so I could be behind the storm rather than in it.

More later, Dave LASM

Good Morning!
Heavy rain this fine morning, so I get a day off from fencing. I'm within the last 10' and a gate, so I might finish it over the long weekend.
The client is so happy he's asked me to submit a price for new fencing along the adjacent property.
One of the problems with fencing these properties, is that I need to erect a temporary wire fence inside the old fence to keep the large dogs in the yard until a new fence section is built. So it's been 20' at a time.

It's 38F out there in the wet.

Last evening, I did put the wheels on my 52 Ford truck. This truck was made to look like an older truck, as my layout is into the mid-60's. I feel that 'Dixie' looks darn good in there as a women trying to start a trucking company in the 60's.
52 Ford_05-18-2022 (3).JPG

52 Ford_05-18-2022 (2).JPG

The right rear wheels sit up a little bit, but, I don't think it will be noticeable on the layout. Also, the cab is not secured, so I can take it off to put in a windshield.

I'm just going to sit back and sip coffee while the rain patters on the roof. It appears I'll get some layout time today, which is very good for the soul.

Have a good one!

Good Morning All. Clear but hazy and 72° this morning. Nothing much has changed in the forecast, rain starting Saturday and continuing through Tuesday with abnormally cool temperatures Sunday and Monday. Given the NWS record this year, that will be off. The weather radar showed a shower passing overhead about an hour ago, but the porch and car are dry. Maybe it hasn't hit the ground yet?

It must be Thursday and the weekly grocery trek, as the fridge and pantry are quite empty. After the cardiologist visit yesterday, I spent some quality time mowing various parts of the yard. I am having to use the mower on an extra-high height right now, in order to get things under control. I am using #10 of 12 which is about 6". By tomorrow I will be able to go back and re-cut stuff on a more normal height. Remember my tractor/mower was in the shop for 11 days and it rained 2.5". I have currently completed about 2.5 acres, just a half acre to go.

Covid_ I thought that we informally agreed to quit posting about this and vaccines a few months ago.

Thanks for the likes and comments on the garden and project pictures posted yesterday; Karl, Joe, Guy, Dave B, Dave, Tom O, Chad, Sherrel, Steve J, Hughie, James, Rick, Patrick, Louis, Mikey.

So on the subject of gardens, the wheat field next door is turning into "amber waves of grain" rather rapidly. Sure is a great sight to see every time I step on the back porch.
IMG_0897.JPG

IMG_0898.JPG

Out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly ran trains since I hadn't done that in over a week. I did spray the bank with dull coat before I add clear styrene windows and window treatments. I also put together the tutorial below for Guy and any others who may find it useful.
While running trains, I stopped one on a siding in Charlottesville. That siding crosses a grade crossing. I don't know if any of you other folks break a train when blocking a grade crossing overnight, but I do.
IMG_0928.JPG

Ken (D&J) -
the World Health Organization will be handed control of the health matters in this country next week sometime. The shots may become international law, regardless of natural immunity of physical tolerance.
At first I just dismissed this as paranoid fake news since you didn't give a specific link to your information. Then I found this:
Biden Administration’s plans to surrender U.S. sovereignty to the World Health Organization
Time to write to my congressional delegation.
Karl - I have actually been informed about the roof in much stronger terms than I posted. Discouraged is not what it is, threatened more aptly describes it.
Dave B -
Allergies - mine have pretty much disappeared. And my eyesight is improving. Funny these health improvements with advancing years!!
Have they really improved or is it that you just don't notice as much since you're used to it???
Guy - Regarding the windshield on the truck. Years ago I bought some of this.
IMG_0896.JPG

I believe that someone has already mentioned it here, but I think that Elmer's Glue All is the same thing. My bottle here has dried up, so I will demonstrate with the Elmer's.
Start with a dab of Elmer's and a toothpick.
IMG_0929.JPG

Spread a bit around the perimeter like this.
IMG_0930.JPG

Then with just a tad more on the toothpick, draw it out across the whole opening like this.
IMG_0931.JPG

Let it dry. Rotate the vehicle every five minutes or so for the first half hour to keep the glue from pooling.
This vehicle was not dry when I had to leave the train shed, so here's another that I did a few years ago.
IMG_0932.JPG

Practice first. Drill some 3/16" holes in some scrap styrene and smooth off the edges and try this on the styrene first. Any excess can be carefully trimmed off with an Exacto #11 or a single-edge razor blade later. On this red vehicle, I actually did this from the inside since the cab was rather roomy. It is by no means perfect, but it is a lot less trouble than trimming clear styrene in my opinion.
Tom O -
I do think willie
you could have found a cheaper place to watch from.
Not sure if I am paying anything, except maybe through Medicare and insurance premiums.

Well, everyone have a wonderful day. Think positive thoughts.

Good morning 60 right now, 61f degrees was the high yesterday. Heading into the 80’s.

Terry is heading off to the Milwaukee airport with the daughter and grandson. I am tagging along as a passenger. The daughter purchased for April of 2020 airline tickets that of course got cancelled. She had until 6/1 to use them. Terry purchased the rights to the g/daughter’s ticket. So they are off to my sister and niece in Pasadena and will check out Disneyland on Saturday. The daughter said the ticket discussion for Disneyland was interesting. They wanted her to pay the difference between the 2020 price and today’s. She won!

I have a doctor appointment for 2:30. Follow up and discussion of the next phase of the previous throat surgery. She did tell me not to complete the plan to head to Hawaii in June. Stress test next Thursday to qualify for the radiation treatments. Didn’t need it for the surgery but insurance told UWHealth I don’t qualify without it.

I am watching TV GMA this morning. Can’t believe folks fall for these online Baby Formula scams. Pay either with a credit card or PayPal or don’t make the purchase.

Doubtful the train room will be visited today

TomO

Good Morning All. Clear but hazy and 72° this morning. Nothing much has changed in the forecast, rain starting Saturday and continuing through Tuesday with abnormally cool temperatures Sunday and Monday. Given the NWS record this year, that will be off. The weather radar showed a shower passing overhead about an hour ago, but the porch and car are dry. Maybe it hasn't hit the ground yet?

It must be Thursday and the weekly grocery trek, as the fridge and pantry are quite empty. After the cardiologist visit yesterday, I spent some quality time mowing various parts of the yard. I am having to use the mower on an extra-high height right now, in order to get things under control. I am using #10 of 12 which is about 6". By tomorrow I will be able to go back and re-cut stuff on a more normal height. Remember my tractor/mower was in the shop for 11 days and it rained 2.5". I have currently completed about 2.5 acres, just a half acre to go.

Covid_ I thought that we informally agreed to quit posting about this and vaccines a few months ago.

Thanks for the likes and comments on the garden and project pictures posted yesterday; Karl, Joe, Guy, Dave B, Dave, Tom O, Chad, Sherrel, Steve J, Hughie, James, Rick, Patrick, Louis, Mikey.

So on the subject of gardens, the wheat field next door is turning into "amber waves of grain" rather rapidly. Sure is a great sight to see every time I step on the back porch.
View attachment 146097
View attachment 146098

Out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly ran trains since I hadn't done that in over a week. I did spray the bank with dull coat before I add clear styrene windows and window treatments. I also put together the tutorial below for Guy and any others who may find it useful.
While running trains, I stopped one on a siding in Charlottesville. That siding crosses a grade crossing. I don't know if any of you other folks break a train when blocking a grade crossing overnight, but I do.
View attachment 146099

Ken (D&J) -

At first I just dismissed this as paranoid fake news since you didn't give a specific link to your information. Then I found this:
Biden Administration’s plans to surrender U.S. sovereignty to the World Health Organization
Time to write to my congressional delegation.
Karl - I have actually been informed about the roof in much stronger terms than I posted. Discouraged is not what it is, threatened more aptly describes it.
Dave B -

Have they really improved or is it that you just don't notice as much since you're used to it???
Guy - Regarding the windshield on the truck. Years ago I bought some of this.
View attachment 146091
I believe that someone has already mentioned it here, but I think that Elmer's Glue All is the same thing. My bottle here has dried up, so I will demonstrate with the Elmer's.
Start with a dab of Elmer's and a toothpick.View attachment 146092
Spread a bit around the perimeter like this.
View attachment 146093
Then with just a tad more on the toothpick, draw it out across the whole opening like this.
View attachment 146095
Let it dry. Rotate the vehicle every five minutes or so for the first half hour to keep the glue from pooling.
This vehicle was not dry when I had to leave the train shed, so here's another that I did a few years ago.
View attachment 146096
Practice first. Drill some 3/16" holes in some scrap styrene and smooth off the edges and try this on the styrene first. Any excess can be carefully trimmed off with an Exacto #11 or a single-edge razor blade later. On this red vehicle, I actually did this from the inside since the cab was rather roomy. It is by no means perfect, but it is a lot less trouble than trimming clear styrene in my opinion.
Tom O -

Not sure if I am paying anything, except maybe through Medicare and insurance premiums.

Well, everyone have a wonderful day. Think positive thoughts.
Willie, you know I wrote that in jest!

Covid discussion, yes we did.

WHO, also read that article and others. It won’t happen, even Joe is not that stupid, old yes, stupid no

Tom

Mel must have used the sign about no-covid as a coaster for his coffee. Better hang a new one up.

As for making windshields, you can also find a similar product labeled as "Canopy Glue" - I found a bottle at the LHS, but haven't used it yet.

My day started with taking the second half of the Tiger 1 tank off the 3D printer. Sorry, no pics.

The hull of the tank has "fitter strips" on the side that are supposed to fit into wells the same shape on the backside of the tracks and bogey wheels. HAH! supposed to fit! I wish the designers would loosen their tolerances and make either the male or female side just a tad smaller/larger (insert sexual innuendo here) ;) I'm going to be sanding the male part of the connection on both sides to make it fit.

Not sure if I could use the Dremel on the drill stand to widen the female slots on the back of the tracks?

I'd look at setting that up, except I'm sitting at the Toyota dealership. The Camry is almost to 50,000 miles. Time for service. I didn't bother to look up what was on the schedule, but I knew the credit card was going to scream about it. Looks like the normal oil change, but add coolant change, and transmission service/fluid.

So, I'm here for 2.5 hours or so.

Good excuse to do writing sprints. 20 minutes of banging the keys and trying to make sensible words and sentences.

We'll see how good the battery on my Mac hangs in.

Good morning...53°, cloudy with fog. Overnight 0.93" rain fell. Supposed to clear up and get warm...real warm for the weekend.

I thought that we informally agreed to quit posting about this and vaccines a few months ago.
Willie: Perhaps, I forget, but the topic, like the virus keeps coming back...

WHO, also read that article and others. It won’t happen, even Joe is not that stupid, old yes, stupid no
Tom O': Agree, not going to happen...Brandon isn't stupid. Stories like this have been around for years...sort of like Mort Sall Conspiracy topic old.

I have decided to paint over the back drop, and start anew. Trees are only that blazing orange red one or two days / year. Meanwhile, the retaining wall is almost finished. I need to check the fit, then paint it.

R&N LNRX @ Tamaqua 4-29-2022 - Coal dumped at Fairless.jpg

Take a Ride on the Modern Reading...(Reading & Northern), This is a Mine Run, photographed in Tamaqua, PA. These loads along with others from other mine operations will be assembled into a unit train which will be handed off to the NS at North Reading, PA, and taken to the former US Steel dumper at Fairless, PA, for export. Anthracite has found new markets in Europe, and Fairless is the last remaining coal / ore pier operation on the Delaware River.

I always wondered why the tandems slide, thought it had something to do with the ride, rather than weight distribution. Is it a ride issue as well?
If the trailer is lightly loaded, or MT, you can slide the tandems all the way back to put more weight on the 5th wheel. More weight on the rear truck springs usually improves the ride. You can even move the 5th wheel forward to distribute the weight to the front axle, as well. Modern air ride suspensions behave and ride differently than standard springs, so ride quality may not improve much with the weight changes.

Just feel like being lazy today. Think I'll drag the lawn chair out to the back deck and take a nap under the sun.
I finally broke the truck off the Scale Trains GTEL tender. The truck side frames have been removed from the kingpin plate. The AC glue ran into the truck kingpin gluing it solidly to the floor of the tender. I tried the AC solvent but that didn't penetrate the pin enough. If ST doesn't have a replacement truck, I'll have to patch this back together with a couple layers of sheet plastic and a large diameter screw. The decoder for the backup light on the tender is under the panel on the right where the screw hole is. That's glued solid too. My only concern now is that the decoder hasn't been shorted out by the BBs that I put in there. The other screw that is visible below the kingpin hole is for the weight plates inside. I don't think I want to take that out.

20220519_102400.jpg

Just feel like being lazy today. Think I'll drag the lawn chair out to the back deck and take a nap under the sun.
I finally broke the truck off the Scale Trains GTEL tender. The truck side frames have been removed from the kingpin plate. The AC glue ran into the truck kingpin gluing it solidly to the floor of the tender. I tried the AC solvent but that didn't penetrate the pin enough. If ST doesn't have a replacement truck, I'll have to patch this back together with a couple layers of sheet plastic and a large diameter screw. The decoder for the backup light on the tender is under the panel on the right where the screw hole is. That's glued solid too. My only concern now is that the decoder hasn't been shorted out by the BBs that I put in there. The other screw that is visible below the kingpin hole is for the weight plates inside. I don't think I want to take that out.

View attachment 146103
What a mess! Yikes!

Looking for 84 again today - I think the clock is broken?

Good Morning All. Clear but hazy and 72° this

Dave B -

Guy - Regarding the windshield on the truck. Years ago I bought some
Well, good point. I quit taking Clariten and no longer experience any throat symptoms whatsoever. We moved away from a agricultural area to a mostly forested area, so my allergies could have been associated with corn production.

However, I like to think some things are improving rather than falling apart.

By the way. Do they plant another crop when the wheat is harvested?

GREAT windshield tutorial.

Dave LASM

Well, good point. I quit taking Clariten and no longer experience any throat symptoms whatsoever. We moved away from a agricultural area to a mostly forested area, so my allergies could have been associated with corn production.

However, I like to think some things are improving rather than falling apart.

By the way. Do they plant another crop when the wheat is harvested?

GREAT windshield tutorial.

Dave LASM

Dave,

One of the things I do here to help combat allergies is I buy local honey from the farmers that produce honey from their bee farms. A teaspoon a day works wonders on a lot of benefits but also reduces allergies big time! Just thought to mention it. It has to be local from your area you reside in for it to be effective. None of that store bought stuff if you understand my meaning.

Give it a try you will not be disappointed.

I have been doing it for 15 plus years and I do not take any kind of allergy pills.

Have a good one!

Good afternoon all,

Maybe some notice my pics get posted at noon (usually). That is when I don't feel guilt about using the work computer for personal stuff. Otherwise I am on the Samsung.

It is up to 61° in East Central Minnesota. I guess that is the correct technical term for our location. There is sun breaking through, though my weather app says it is raining.

James - I enjoy honey regularly as part of my diet. We have lots of honey bee farms around here due to all the clover and alfalfa being raised. A nearby town, Hinckley, used to boast as the honey capitol of the world. THANKS for the tip!

Willie - an added note on the windshield, I purchased some of the special goup but didn't know how to make a full windshield out of it.

I usually cut my windshields out of plastic and use it to stick the plastic because of the no crazing claim. I use it for my building windows as well, to adhere the thin plastic to the window openings, works. If I want a quick stick, however, I use the plastic styrene and very carefully dab a small amount of Gorilla Glue on a couple of edges. Works, too, but requires lots of care.

Here is another shot from my old layout, looking at it the guy seems a bit lonely on the tracks. I have another pic of him at the boarding house, will post later

contest4.3 003.JPG

I hope his hearing is good

more later, Dave

Not much of a ride issue. Bobtail is the worst ride possible as there is no weight on the drives, so adding trailer to the mix helps. Sliding trailer tandems all the way back is problematic cuz of the various bridge laws in different states. For instance in CA, kingpin to center between trailer tandems can not go longer than 40 feet. Does not matter If loaded or not. In other words you can not cheat to get your axel weights legal. Now days it seems that *most* of the shippers have figured out how to load trailers. They started seeing costs and time go up because of reloads and have trained the fork operators how-to. Of course there is always a gotcha. Last year sometime I hooked a trlr in our yard in Louisville for a trip North. Drive air pressure guage was reading more than 70psi which is not good. Looked under the trlr and the tandems we're all the way forward so I could not do anything with the weight. BoL said 42K in the box. Not good. Needed proof so took it to scale and verified, yup drives were way over - something like 39K. Dispatch was not happy and back to the yard went I. Trailer came from Tucumcari NM and was loaded with big bins of potatoes that were stacked two high at the front of the trailer. They should have been spread out as you might guess. No idea of how that dumbsh.t driver made it more than 2000 miles without rolling over a scale. Go figure.

Last edited:
Dave,

One of the things I do here to help combat allergies is I buy local honey from the farmers that produce honey from their bee farms. A teaspoon a day works wonders on a lot of benefits but also reduces allergies big time! Just thought to mention it. It has to be local from your area you reside in for it to be effective. None of that store bought stuff if you understand my meaning.

Give it a try you will not be disappointed.

I have been doing it for 15 plus years and I do not take any kind of allergy pills.

Have a good one!
James: you know, but others may not. That local honey??? Bees grab pollen from the local plants, flowers and trees to make that honey. When you eat small portions you get pretty much an allergy shot and your body then should become immune. Pollen pretty much is the best vitamin supplement you can get. If ya go that route, find a local bee keeper and buy fresh then you kill two birds with one stone.

Afternoon All,

Started out with some indoor chores then put down the ground cover. After everything dried, I realized that I didn't put in the access road to connect the village to the rest of the layout (it's always something). Tomorrow, I hope to get the buildings with the lighting in place and hooked up then I can start adding details. I'll continue working on the layout through Sunday then I have to get ready for the guys coming over on the 28th. I probably have 2 wasted days next week between Dad's and my medical appointments.

Joe- I've been lucky to never have seasonal allergies.

Hughie- Very nice-looking kit. I've built 5 or 6 of their kits and they do tend to be fragile.

Patrick- You only have to look at this country's bridges to know this is a country wide issue. I think I know what part of the issue is but I won't talk about it here.

Guy- Beautiful job on the truck.

Willie- Nice photos 1:1 and 1:87.

Ken D&J- I hope you can fix the tender so it can be used.

Dave- Great layout scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back