Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all,

48 and beautiful sun. Cut up a nice pile of firewood before breakfast today, will split it and then not sure what for the rest of the day.

No gun in our household, not even for varmints. Would have to borrow neighbors if it ever comes to that.

Back later with pics

Dave LASM

Good Morning!
Gonna be a wet weekend perhaps.

I've been busy as a beaver working on this years outburst of projects that people call me for. Up early to work, and back later in the day. Don't leave me with much spare time.

I did get a package in the mail yesterday, containing a couple of Sylvan truck models:
Sylvan_05-14-2022.JPG

Since I was thinking about modelling a coal trestle for my layout, I thought the grain truck might work into the scene as a local carrier for coal pickup. In the Mack's case; I just like it.

Needed to pick up the wife at the mill yesterday. I was early with time to burn, so I walked over to one of the many trestles in this area to get some close-up photos. One never knows when such photos might help to build a model layout trestle:
BluRdgTres_05-13-2022 (3).JPG

BluRdgTres_05-13-2022 (4).JPG

BluRdgTres_05-13-2022 (5).JPG

1955 1800 sq feet house for 1.3 Million ... looks like a dump! Says he bought it for a rental?
Whhattt! Are you saying the SIL is a slum landlord!!

Willie - Nice photos today, as usual. Good idea using the building photocopies as background flats.

Apologies, I didn't go back through the pages and read everyone's post. I just didn't have the time right now.

Have a great weekend!

The problem is the catch and release mentality.

No one believes in capital punishment anymore.....or hard time either. Prisons should not have TVs or any of that crap they should be working to pay the debt back to society period. Do the crime do the time but work it off until you fulfill that sentence. My take on that. Eye for an Eye as well. I do not like how these people sit on death row for eons. Flip the switch already!
James: This is one of those things that I have never figured out. Seems to me that jail/prison needs to be a place you do not want to go. I had an acquaintance that would 'do his time', then go out an rob a bank or something to get back in. Found out way later from him that it was so much easier 'doing time' then out in the world doing the 9 to 5. I am not a bread and water with 16 hrs rock busting guy, but nowdays it seems like the people in have more rights than I do working my butt off which also pays for the guy that is in. The prison industry is huge with a ton of top feeders with fingers in the pie.

Good morning all! Overcast and 74 on the way to 83 with a chance of rain later on.

Our graduation live stream went off without a hitch last night. Couldn't be happier with how it all went. Now that it's over I have a lot of network cable runs to make in the gym and I'm hoping to start tackling that job this week. Gonna be a hard job to do but fortunately I've got plenty of help.

Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning from a slightly wet So. Central Wisconsin. No idea how much fell from 8pm to 4am. I was on the deck after dinner yesterday watching the clouds moving all around the property but we never got the downpours they were predicting. Got chased inside at 8 when the drops found the deck.

The Gun talk. If we had this very polite conversation 5 years ago I would give you a very different view. But, I didn‘t believe then nor I do now that any non-military person needs the AR type weapon. I truly believe in the 2nd Amendment and the right to bear arms…

The BS the gun lobby spews about taking our guns being taken away is exactly that, BS. The constitution guarantees our rights and the Supreme Court would not allow it. No matter what our politicians try, you in the USA will always have the right. Yes, it may be more difficult but the right and ability will always be there.

Because of the gun battles that rear up occasionally in the liberal State of Dane County in So Central Wi. I now own a Glock17 strapped to my left ankle. Terry carrys a S/W in her purse and I do have a shot gun easily accessible to me in the house, a Benelli Super Black Eagle. It was strongly suggested to us to carry when living in No. Central Wisconsin by my best friend who was the local city’s police chief. Then it was strongly suggested after an incident on our property in 2017 by the then local police chief also a friend. We both have been carrying since late 2018. We have an protected outside range where Terry, the daughter, her hubby, our son and me learned to shoot under 2 friends both having been police chiefs before their retirements. Teaching 5 people who had never even held a gun in their hands has created a lot of laughable stories at party time by our instructors. Terry and I practice a few times a month even in Winter.

Trains, I still have 6 pieces of rolling stock on the bench that I have been trying to weather for awhile. They will stay there for the weekend.

I have on the bench a WC GP35 I owned for 25 years before I sold it last summer. I added yesterday for the new owner a decoder buddy board, a ESU sound decoder, 2 Sugar cube speakers. I will finish by the 19th, new front and rear Led headlights and front and rear ditchlights. This was a breath of fresh air compared to all the weathering I have done since last September.

I did finish last evening the reel of florist 22ga wire creating twisted wire tree armatures I started Wednesday. I produced somewhere between 3-400 armatures for myself or … Finishing these off will be a long term commitment as there is no rush.

The original 125 batch of tree trunks just formed for the LHS will get dipped in candle wax in the next week or so, then raked to form texture and finally the whole tree spray painted. The main branches are formed but will not be shaped nor waxed. The LHS wants them for end of August/September. Those 125 will get me another Genesis MP15ac for the roster.

Today, anything near the Capital in Madison is out. It is graduation day and move out weekend. Today along with the 15,000 Farmer Market visitors make it impossible to move downtown. It is liken to the University of Wisconsin football Saturday in the Fall. We will hit up 2 Westside markets that because of the action downtown and on Campus will be much busier then normal.

Have a great safe day
TomO

Good Morning ladie & gents. Havnt had much to post lately as I have spent the last 3 months rebuilding the deck on the back of the house. 550 sq ft with a case of plantar faceitous and a bad back but I'm almost there. Have spent almost zero time in the train room but I did get a smile when I read the morning comics. We got some recognition................

A lot of posts and comments regarding firearms the past two days. I fully support gun ownership as I would living in Texas with "Open Carry". Many interesting comments with solid reasoning behind them. I do question the need for AR type weapons like Tom O does, but it is what it is. I personally do not own a firearm of any type, haven't in over 50 years, because I see no need. But that's just me. I live in a low crime area, actually non-existent crime area.
A serious question though; has anyone here actually had to defend themselves/family members/neighbors, or use the visibility of a firearm to dissuade an undesirable person? In my career I had to disarm two different persons in two different situations, but I was able to talk them out of escalating. Both were intoxicated non-employees.

Guy - a grain elev and those trucks would go great on your layout! I built the Mack, and it looked great, had a bugger of a time handling it with those mirrors.

Tom - we got a total of about 2.5" out of the storms that rolled through Wed and Thurs. Really green around here.

Willie - I have never had to defend myself like that, but I was shot at by a target shooter. I was working on paper company land as an employee (Mosinee Paper in Solon Springs WI.) My truck was clearly visible. I was looking over regeneration in a cutover area and heard bullets go by and the plunk of a 38 I think. I yelled out and got the man to stop. He left after a brief exchange of words (he had the gun).

Another time I was held at gunpoint on the Leech Lake Indian Reservation. I was working for the Tribe on a different forestry contract and an old man came out of his house with this 22 and held me there until the Reservation police would come and tell him it was OK.

Both true stories.

A few birds at the feeder this morning, two bluebirds, a downy woodpecker, and a couple others difficult to identify"
IMG_2167.JPG

Here is the wood pile I split and stacked before breakfast. It was easy splitting Birch and Trembling aspen.

IMG_2168.JPG

After I split it then the pile:

IMG_2169  r.JPG

IMG_2170 r.JPG

Today's work is the small uncovered pile. The big pile in back is all wood I put up since the snow melted. Under the tarp is what is left from last year.

This morning's work would last about 5 days during the cold part of winter.

If I get the trim on the car port painted today, I can spend a few hours in the train room. Plan on mounting the track through the lift out area, I think I have it all figured out.

Dave LASM

Please note that this was posted "tongue in cheek".

I know that, Willie, you just opened an opportunity to rant.

Sherrel: Hope the Pulmonary guy comes up with something better than strapping on the O2.

So, beginning this month, retailers are not permitted to offer single use bags, either plastic or paper, supposedly to save the planet, and punish the carbon producers. Over the years, we have collected "reusable" bags, (made of a plastic), which used to sell for a buck each. There is NO benefit to the consumer here. The $1 reusable bags now cost $3 to $5, depending on the store, and the checkers are using "Covid" as an excuse, not to touch the bags, so...everyone gets to bag their own stuff. Some of the snarkier checkers are rubbing it in, as consumers struggle with change.

Our solution, since we now have to bag our own, everywhere, no point in interacting with a surly human, so we will use the robotic checkers,and check ourselves out. next step is to eradicate the rest of the checkers, thereby increasing the margins for the stores. The Wall Street analysts will love it. (No accident that our governor used to be a Director at Goldman). I don't want anyone to lose their job, but some of these retail employees deserve to be canned.

Hope Ken's operating session goes well today. I did some switching this morning.

Kadee NH 50'DD box 05-14-2022.jpg

New acquisition from Kadee. NH 40514, one of 14 built in 1956

A lot of posts and comments regarding firearms the past two days. I fully support gun ownership as I would living in Texas with "Open Carry". Many interesting comments with solid reasoning behind them. I do question the need for AR type weapons like Tom O does, but it is what it is. I personally do not own a firearm of any type, haven't in over 50 years, because I see no need. But that's just me. I live in a low crime area, actually non-existent crime area.
A serious question though; has anyone here actually had to defend themselves/family members/neighbors, or use the visibility of a firearm to dissuade an undesirable person? In my career I had to disarm two different persons in two different situations, but I was able to talk them out of escalating. Both were intoxicated non-employees.
I assume that you are not talking Military stuff.
Over the years I think that I have brandished a weapon a couple of times. Never had to use it though. Once was as a bartender in the late 70's, idiot wanted the bars money. I don't remember if he was overly intoxicated but had been drinking. He had a small knife; probably 6 inch blade. Latest was our st00pid California neighbor. He was intoxicated and came on our property in a manor that was not polite. Dog went after him and chased him off. Went into his house and came back out with a pistol took a shot at the dog then started waving it around threatening. Grand daughter ( 10 at the time ) was taking the brunt of his rant; for reasons unknown except she was the one standing there. State Patrol that lives next door came out when he heard the shot and got in the mix. Neighbor decided that his position was not good as there were 2 weapons drawn and went back in the house. To this day we still do not know what got him started, but I am glad I had show of force help and everything settled down.

As to the AR's, I am on the fence with that one. Granted there is no reason for somebody to use one while hunting; although I have seen more than a couple hunters that need all they could get. To me this gets back to 'responsibility' and if you want to burn ammo that is your right. The news media has unintentionally elevated military style weapons just because they were used in some dastardly deed. Do note that they usually also tell watchers about the trigger puller and most are already criminals whom should have never had the weapon in the first place. If AR's or others were not available those dastardly deeds would still be commited; probably not with a knife but something more powerful - explosives, chemicals ... etc you get the idea.

Yes, on two occasions.

As for an “ar”, no I don’t “need” one.
I also don’t “need” a 500+ hp car that will go 200mph. I feel I should be able to purchase either, as long as I satisfy the legal requirements for doing so.
And probably the same number of people own a 200mph car and shouldn’t, as own an ar and shouldn’t.

And for the record, I own neither a high-powered sports car nor an assault rifle.

I understand your reasoning, of course I do, but your kinda making my point, if firearms were not so easily and freely obtainable under the constitution, you wouldn't feel the need to defend you and yours in a like fashion.
You know, that approx. 45% of Americans own a gun. That would amount to about 150,000,000 people give or take. The number of guns would only be a guess. Nearly all of these people are responsible gun owners. There is however an element in society today that as no regard for life. This element would rob, rape and kill with or without a gun. I will agree that getting a gun might be a little too easy, but then again if they break in to a gun shop or a home with a gun they just steal them. Somewhere along the way, we have allowed the facts of right and wrong to vanish.
Yes, I am a gun owner, yes, I took classes, yes I had to show proficiency with my firearm, yes, a had to submit to a background check before obtaining a Texas Concealed Handgun license.
AR's, I too am on the fence here. In my mind hunting is more a sport, a recreational event than a need to put meat on the table thing like in years gone by. An AR has a hunting rifle just doesn't seem, in my opinion, a sporting gun. There are gun collectors and hobbyists who just have to have one or two.

Last edited:
Guy - a grain elev and those trucks would go great on your layout! I built the Mack, and it looked great, had a bugger of a time handling it with those mirrors.

Tom - we got a total of about 2.5" out of the storms that rolled through Wed and Thurs. Really green around here.

Willie - I have never had to defend myself like that, but I was shot at by a target shooter. I was working on paper company land as an employee (Mosinee Paper in Solon Springs WI.) My truck was clearly visible. I was looking over regeneration in a cutover area and heard bullets go by and the plunk of a 38 I think. I yelled out and got the man to stop. He left after a brief exchange of words (he had the gun).

Another time I was held at gunpoint on the Leech Lake Indian Reservation. I was working for the Tribe on a different forestry contract and an old man came out of his house with this 22 and held me there until the Reservation police would come and tell him it was OK.

Both true stories.

A few birds at the feeder this morning, two bluebirds, a downy woodpecker, and a couple others difficult to identify"View attachment 145924

Here is the wood pile I split and stacked before breakfast. It was easy splitting Birch and Trembling aspen.

View attachment 145925

After I split it then the pile:

View attachment 145926

View attachment 145927

Today's work is the small uncovered pile. The big pile in back is all wood I put up since the snow melted. Under the tarp is what is left from last year.

This morning's work would last about 5 days during the cold part of winter.

If I get the trim on the car port painted today, I can spend a few hours in the train room. Plan on mounting the track through the lift out area, I think I have it all figured out.

Dave LASM
Interesting Mosinee Paper story. My paper mill on the layout started out to represent the mill in Mosinee, Wi. We sold a lot of pulp wood from our property back in the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s to the mill. We were 7 miles south of Mosinee. In the late 1990’s until the Mead family sold the Considated Paper Mill in Wisconsin Rapids the pulp went there. Storo Enso did not buy our contracts when they purchased the Mill.
TomO

Willie

YES,
to your question.

On a business trip to Las Vegas. We were assaulted in a elevator at the Luxor but when the guy pulled a gun the person with me went ape sh.t on the guy. He dropped the gun, I picked it up. Turns out the lady taught military cops self defense classes in the Army.

The other was at a party we had a neighbor crash the party and he was waving a gun, drunk, and then firing it into the air like he was in the Middle East. Talked the gun out of his hands. He pulled a knife brandishing that around. I shot him purposely in the leg. I won’t go near anyone with a knife. I also learned not to if they have a gun.

Within a year the family was carrying.

I believe you mean this.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

And my question is now, define "Well regulated Militia"

That whole phrase doesn't need to be defined because it has no bearing on the actual right. It is an introductory phrase that gives a reason or justification for the right but in now way limits or defines the right.

But since you ask, in the language of the times, "regulated" meant well trained or well adjusted -- think -- regulating a clock -- putting it into adjustment and correct time. So it basically says that one reason we have the right is because a well trained and ready militia, which is defined as all the people, is necessary to protect the state in times of need.

Nothing in the Bill of Rights defines the rights of the government. It defines restrictions on the government. The Second Amendment is no different.

All my 9mm cans are 3-lug. Remnants of when I had a registered Fleming HK sear. It's long gone, but I kept my suppressors. I have threaded adapters for my pistols.

I sold my sear (Fleming IIRC) gun, SP89 updated to a 5K including restamped by Terry Dyer, a few years ago. I didn't want to had had it for 20 years and had had my fun and needed money for our house project. I never had a can on it but did have the 3 lug barrel. My lone can is a GEMTECH 223 one from the late 90s and uses a bi-lug muzzle adapter, which I had on two rifles, none of which are my go-to.

I'd like to get some more cans for my 338 spectre, my 300 BO, my 458 SOCOM, and for 9mm use.

I understand your reasoning, of course I do, but your kinda making my point, if firearms were not so easily and freely obtainable under the constitution, you wouldn't feel the need to defend you and yours in a like fashion.

Doesn't work that way. Firearm availbility is not restricted by any laws that attempt to do so. Criminals get their guns no matter what. It is already illegal for criminals to have guns. Being criminals they just ignore the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back