Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. A lot of people think that a sound suppressor is useless unless you have subsonic ammo. The blast is directional. The crack of the bullet passing by is not. As you described...

I wish I had the funds to add a sound suppressor to everything I own. I have one suppressor but it requires a certain muzzle end device and most of my 5.56/22 sized rifles don't have that device...
YouTube has lots of "how to" on it.

It was fun to drool. Terry enjoyed it. This week has been the week for hardly any clothes and the coeds we’re taking advantage.

Tom
Aaaand….. next week, Mark Holley is calling for enough of a cool-down that he’s mentioned possible wind child for Monday & Tuesday.
Pests!!! Our neighbor has a large camper and over winter red squirrels nested in the camper and destroyed the interior and the camper smells awful.

At the cabin I just may start shortening the life of the red squirrels that live in our woods. I may use my rim fire .177 rifle or my .177 air rifle. The air rifle is powerful like a .22 and will do the job in a quiet fashion. The .177 rim fire is a .22 Mag necked down to a 95 grain .177 bullet.

Greg
Greg- my in-laws(FIL & BIL- MIL had charting to do at home, so that he could attend the burial of the cremated remains of FIL’s father, who passed away in late February) opened their cabin up in Price County, outside of Phillips. Even though it was opening weekend for fishing, I don’t even think they renewed their licenses yet. I have to renew my license in person, because the DNR will only let you renew online with a driver’s licence(even though the state ID is the same number as my DL was, when I let it expire after giving my driving privilege- felt I wasn’t a safe driver, to the point of being a risk to myself & the driving public at large).
Willie. The scenery on the University of Wisconsin has its greatness. But nothing like the year round scenery at UT in Austin. Let’s just say, OMG. Sorry JazzA but I can’t be blind on campus. Terry truly thinks it’s funny
EV’s are not the answer but someone will find the answer someday.

Enough from me. Terry I hope i didn’t go over the politics line. I have been really good the last few months?

Tom
Tom(& BNSF Terry)- I learned early on in my first marriage the value of quality shades. Wimmin can hear neck muscles move; eyes, not so much.

Todd- I’ve noticed that you’ve been having runs in the Midwest/Midsouth region lately. Where do you call “home” these days?
James- since Wisconsin outlawed capital punishment(1853) within 5 years of statehood(1848), the corrections system took care of the Cannibal of Milwaukee(Dahmer) from within(another inmate at Columbia Correctional Institute at Portage). Same with convicted cop killer, Robert “Mudman” Simon who murdered Franklinville officer Lee Gonzalez in 1995, was kicked & stomped to death 4 years later, by a fellow death row inmate.
Curt- yes, my understanding of the price you pay at the pump is based on what the gas stations speculate the cost will be to replace the fuel that is currently in their underground tanks.
I believe you mean this.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

And my question is now, define "Well regulated Militia"
Smudge- “the right of the PEOPLE”. Contrary to popular belief, the 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with hunting Bambi. It is for self defense against both individuals and agents of the government from bringing harm to the people.
We also have the right to arm Bears if need be. ;)
Karl- do we also have the right to use bears as WMD, or only the right to bare arms?

On a more personal note, the only facility that is “in network” with SWMBO’s insurance wants a 25% copay upfront before they will even schedule a PET scan, to the tune of almost $2900(which is approximately the equivalent of 5 months worth of rent on our home). I have a phone call into Pulmonary, to see what our next option is(whether it be to wait until I hit out of pocket max, step up to a pulmonary biopsy, etc).

Exactly. A lot of people think that a sound suppressor is useless unless you have subsonic ammo. The blast is directional. The crack of the bullet passing by is not. As you described...

I wish I had the funds to add a sound suppressor to everything I own. I have one suppressor but it requires a certain muzzle end device and most of my 5.56/22 sized rifles don't have that device...
All my 9mm cans are 3-lug. Remnants of when I had a registered Fleming HK sear. It's long gone, but I kept my suppressors. I have threaded adapters for my pistols.

The argument about the 2A meaning well-regulated gun ownership seems to have a problem they can't get around. Back when the 2A was first published and everyone could actually ask the authors what that meant, nobody, not anyone was regulated on how many guns or what kind of guns they kept, and that was for those in a militia as well as private citizens. So now, over 200 years later, we suddenly think we know better.
If ya don't like guns, fine but don't take em away from me because some gang banger wants to go and shoot up the drug dealer who is tryin to sell in his territory. Also, don't take my guns away, because the guy down the street decided to off himself using his gun.

Most police do not use hollow point, simply because they are better trained than a civilian, and hit what they aim at, if they did use them they would end up in court not the person they shot.
Ya you think? Most police can't hit the side of a barn when in the sh.t of things. Ok, so most people are the same. In my case when I am protecting me and mine, does not matter. Stand your ground! There is no way out of that. I mean what are you gonna do? Give your wife, child, household to somebody that is pointing something at ya? Would that change your vote? Well? Well ? Get the idea yet?

The argument about the 2A meaning well-regulated gun ownership seems to have a problem they can't get around. Back when the 2A was first published and everyone could actually ask the authors what that meant, nobody, not anyone was regulated on how many guns or what kind of guns they kept, and that was for those in a militia as well as private citizens. So now, over 200 years later, we suddenly think we know better.
If ya don't like guns, fine but don't take em away from me because some gang banger wants to go and shoot up the drug dealer who is tryin to sell in his territory. Also, don't take my guns away, because the guy down the street decided to off himself using his gun.
Welp, MY guns are not gonna be taken away. I suspect that everybody in this town will say the same thing: cops, state workers, gov workers and your normal housewife. Not gonna work. On the other hand, go ahead and try. Pretty simple as far as I can see. Bring your bullets to get mine.... and I will stand up as long as I can, have done that before and will do again. 2nd Ammendent really has nothing to do with this when you are protecting you and yours. Only works in the legal system .. Worry later.

Ya you think? Most police can't hit the side of a barn when in the sh.t of things. Ok, so most people are the same. In my case when I am protecting me and mine, does not matter. Stand your ground! There is no way out of that. I mean what are you gonna do? Give your wife, child, household to somebody that is pointing something at ya? Would that change your vote? Well? Well ? Get the idea yet?
I understand your reasoning, of course I do, but your kinda making my point, if firearms were not so easily and freely obtainable under the constitution, you wouldn't feel the need to defend you and yours in a like fashion.

Smudge- “the right of the PEOPLE”. Contrary to popular belief, the 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with hunting Bambi. It is for self defense against both individuals and agents of the government from bringing harm to the people.
I wasn't referring to anyone using a firearms for sport purposes, that's a legitimate reason
More in the line of the number of firearms available, after all, you can only realistically fire 2 handguns or 1 rifle at a time.

I don't think any politicians are willing to take that one on, but more of a case of the number of firearms (and the type) so readily available in general, to people who shouldn't own one, or ten.

Welp, MY guns are not gonna be taken away. I suspect that everybody in this town will say the same thing: cops, state workers, gov workers and your normal housewife. Not gonna work. On the other hand, go ahead and try. Pretty simple as far as I can see. Bring your bullets to get mine.... and I will stand up as long as I can, have done that before and will do again. 2nd Ammendent really has nothing to do with this when you are protecting you and yours. Only works in the legal system .. Worry later.
No one is saying you shouldn't defend yourself, but my argument is too many are too readily available to anyone that wants one, and to a lot of people who shouldn't have one in the first place.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Good morning gang!

64 degrees and cloudy, heading to 73 degrees with occasional rain showers.

Son #4 has his Sr.Prom tonight so SWMBO has “suggested” that we go out too. Well, I do need to go to Home Depot later.😉

The basement LED lighting project is done, Now cleaning is in order! Drop ceiling tiles make a mess when they are moved, even worse when there a holes cut in them with a 4 inch hole saw. After that, beginning benchwork, Yay!

Excuse me, but how did a little talk about plinking varmints turn semi political??

BBL

sipping my morning Bang drink and watching the rail traffic on the Hesperia, CA Virtual, Run Em Over, Rail cam. The sun is just lighting up the mountain horizon, which is called, Solar dawn.
I used to like to engage in the chat section of the VRF but since that episode about the woman sitting between the tracks, I have no reason to talk to those people anymore.

Good morning. 60° with dense fog.

For the 4th year in a row, the Washington Capitals failed to go beyond the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. :mad:
The Orioles have regained their losing form...so have the Nationals. Mets lost to Seattle. Well it was Friday the 13th. Yankees won!

Any talk of guns or use of them arouses extreme anxiety in some people. Mostly, from people who have never seen or handled a firearm.
Personally, I haven't handled or owned a firearm since 1988. Don't feel a need to, but that doesn't give me the right to impose my will on others who choose to "legally" own them.

We are still in a goofy weather pattern, cloudy and damp for long periods of time, and a lot of fog. Not much rain, and little breaks of sunlight.
My heat still comes on, which helps with the dampness. Ironically, to our north, and away from the coast, temperatures are quite warm.

RDG_GP35_3539_onRDG_cropped+cleaned.jpg

Take a Ride on the Reading. B&O unit train consisting of striped hoppers, arrives at the CNJ yard in Allentown, PA, behind GP35 #3639 and FM Trainmaster #803. Timeline for this photo is 1964, (Delivery of GP35s) and 1969, (#803 scrapped in August 1969).

Good Morning All. Clear skies and 63°, it's downright pleasant outside this fine morning. Should last all day with the high only around 92°, a repeat of yesterday.

Eventful day yesterday on the SFW estate. I spent part of the day removing the cover from the swimming pool. The water was 78°, which is the low end of my tolerance level, but is acceptable. I do expect it to drop a few degrees now that the black cover has been removed. but it won't take long to get to optimal temperature of 83°. The water is semi-clear and the bottom has got a film of dirt that got under the cover whenever the wind billowed it up. Should take a day or two of vacuuming to fix that. Yesterday I got the pH to the desired level and today I start to dump the chlorine in while the self-propelled vacuum does it's magic. Another day or two before I put the steps in.
In between this activity, the mechanic returned my garden tractor/mower. He had it for eleven days but didn't actually start working on it until Wednesday. Power washed it to determine where the oil was leaking, replaced three gaskets and adjusted the valves. He also replaced a broken spring and a drive belt to get the hydro-static transmission to work again. However he did not hang around to demonstrate his mechanical skills. I spent about 90 minutes mowing some of the easier areas to mow, getting about 3/4 acre under control. After all, it had been 11 days and it rained 2.5" during that time. I did have it on a higher cutting height than normal. Reasonable fee of $295 which included him coming out and picking it up and delivering it back. I was expecting about twice that.

Tom O/Joe
I wonder what's causing this? That war didn't start until late February. I'll leave it at that since "poly-tics".
Please note that this was posted "tongue in cheek". I wasn't really wondering!;)

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the manifest freight pictures yesterday; Smudge, Dave B, Karl, James, Steve J, Chad, Troy, Patrick, Hughie, Tom O, Mikey, Louis, Curt, IB Ken, Joe, OB Ken.

I didn't go out to the train shed again yesterday, well except to visit the beer fridge. Too much else going on. Archive time again.
Here are a couple of unobstructed shots of the background in the train pictures yesterday.
04-22-19 001.JPG

04-22-19 005.JPG

04-22-19 003.JPG

Ken (D&J) - Enjoy the operating session today. I look forward to pictures and a video.
The sun is just lighting up the mountain horizon, which is called, Solar dawn.
Solar Dawn is the name of a dancer in the Kit-Kat Club on my layout!
James - Almost makes me wish to get Covid just for the weight loss! I should really get serious about losing the last 20 pounds to attain my goal of losing 70 all together. Problem is going to be that I no longer have any of the clothes left that fit me at 190.:(
I wish that there were some wild edible mushrooms growing in my area. I enjoy stuff like that.

Everybody have a great Saturday.

Morning from the WEST!
Looking for 94f for a high today under sunny clear skies.
Found out yesterday that the Newport SIL bought a place in Palm Springs a 1955 1800 sq feet house for 1.3 Million ... looks like a dump! Says he bought it for a rental?

OK, Haven't worked out the breathing problems - this morning I feel pretty good, yesterday was pretty bad and had to use O2 mos of the day.
I have an appointment with a pulmonary guy come Monday morning. We will see what he has to offer.

Interesting banter on the guns ... LEAVE MY AND MINE ALONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back