Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun fact: A sniper's sound suppressor actually can "trick" his enemy and helps mask his location. Although the "blast" from the gun is more or less silenced, the bullet (in this case a supersonic projectile) breaks the sound barrier as it flies. The resulting sonic crack travels out and away from the bullet much like the wake of a boat. This sonic crack "sounds" like it's coming from somewhere completely different than where the sniper is hiding.

Now CCI used to make a lead round nose copper plated segmented load as I have several rounds of that will not say how many and it looks like a bee hive dome but anyways they changed it to the hollow point version now. Why I do not know.
The hollow point has more "Killing" power than a round nose which can simply enter and go through a victim.

I learned in my Concealed/Carry classes that any weapon carried for self protection should be loaded with hollow points and not round noses for that very reason. The hollow point can do alot of damage to the internal parts of a body.

I have had success taking out squirrels and even ground hogs if you place your shot well with these loads minus the shorts on the ground hogs. It can be done but I do not recommend it.
Once the groundhogs realize you're taking them out because they wear shorts, they'll change their ways. I know... because I watched CaddyShack. I even have a robotic dancing groundhog (aka Gopher).

The hollow point has more "Killing" power than a round nose which can simply enter and go through a victim.

I learned in my Concealed/Carry classes that any weapon carried for self protection should be loaded with hollow points and not round noses for that very reason. The hollow point can do alot of damage to the internal parts of a body.
Fortunately, in most countries, hollow points are illegal, even in the military under the Hague Protocol, something the US has never ratified, hence still legal in the US.

Having seen the results of hollow points on the human body as well as the "dum dum" they are probably one of the most horrific methods of killing invented by arms manufacturers.

Afternoon All,

Started out gluing down the wood base and risers. I had to open a new bottle of Foam Tack glue and managed to dump a bunch over 3 tracks and ballast 🤬🤬🤬 I cleaned up what I could, then sprayed RA heavily over the area, and then cleaned the track. After that it was on the road with the wife doing errands.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

TomO- I wish I had the patience to do that. Unfortunate about the show.

James- It almost looks like bronze to me. Great news and good luck with the exercise regime.

Dave- Thank you.

Chad- That's not a stretch.

Joe- Thank you. Nice 1:1 photo. Do you have any photos of what you engineered on?

Willie- Nice layout shots.

Dave- Also, nice layout shots.

Troy- Great looking brisket.

Tom- I think a lot of the gas price issue is on the shoulders of Wall Street speculators.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Last edited:

I don't think of it as "killing" power - it is more of "stopping" power. If I ( or anybody for that matter ) am in that situation, that is what is needed as you don't pull your weapon for show. And on top of that, even if you have round noses, you are gonna empty the mag anyway ... right?

I don't think of it as "killing" power - it is more of "stopping" power. If I ( or anybody for that matter ) am in that situation, that is what is needed as you don't pull your weapon for show. And on top of that, even if you have round noses, you are gonna empty the mag anyway ... right?

Yup go to the end until click click.....then reload......

Fortunately, in most countries, hollow points are illegal, even in the military under the Hague Protocol, something the US has never ratified, hence still legal in the US.

Having seen the results of hollow points on the human body as well as the "dum dum" they are probably one of the most horrific methods of killing invented by arms manufacturers.

Yup there is all kinds of stuff out there for various calibers and loads that can really do some serious and grotesque damage to a human or animal. I have seen enough of that in the crime lab morgue and out in the field. It's a serious matter and takes a responsible person to understand and own a firearm let alone own one which should never be taken lightly.

Very true in most cases but not all cases I can assure you.

As for CC classes comment true again. I would caution on what caliber the person uses though for protection. So many different variables in caliber size, grains, powder and type of projectile & material. Everyone has their favorite and knowledge and uses/experiences too.

From my post earlier this week....it sold for how much????

Rarity these day's, people will pay big $ for them, probably at the $, will join the rest on a shelf and never run.

I too have been shooting all of my life - 1st was the Red Ryder BB gun - then went to 22LR single shot. I don't do much plinking anymore, although there are times when ya just have to have GSR on ya. Finally got rid of the 22's I had a few years back. Think that is when 500 rounds were upwards of $70. Went to a Savage .17 HMR and scope. Took a bit to get used to the rotary mag, but found that once I figured out how to load them fast they were better as I could put a couple of them in my pocket.
View attachment 145881

The short rounds in the upper left are .380's that I had in the box for reasons unknown.

I love the .17 HMR and Savage makes one the best out there next to Ruger. Great round fast and flat trajectory for 250 yards. Love it!

Very true in most cases but not all cases I can assure you.

As for CC classes comment true again. I would caution on what caliber the person uses though for protection. So many different variables in caliber size, grains, powder and type of projectile & material. Everyone has their favorite and knowledge and uses/experiences too.
Unfortunately there are many more who don't have a clue, and work on "the bigger, the better" rule.

Rarity these day's, people will pay big $ for them, probably at the $, will join the rest on a shelf and never run.

Yup you are probably right. They only ran so many of these as a limited edition. I wish I had bought one when it first came out but missed out on it. We see how I do on the Union Pacific Grey Hound ES44AC I ordered. It will be my 2nd ever BLI manufacturer as mentioned on my previous post.

I promise not to ask what that is costing you 🤣
Not much actually because I got in on the pre order list right quick. $299.99 from Train World

I love the .17 HMR and Savage makes one the best out there next to Ruger. Great round fast and flat trajectory for 250 yards. Love it!
Ya, have 2 Ruger II .380's ( one is wifes ). You are spot on with the HMR, 200+ yards with no wind and @ 2600 fps pretty flat. I think that I remember something like a 1.5 inch drop.

Bigger IS better for stopping power. I would not use a .45 or .40 for a Bear, but a people - no problem. Ya just got to remember that the bigger bores shoot bigger bullets and they slow faster. So at 5ft to around 20ft you are good to go.

While we are at it, I just watched a news clip out of Philly - couple of guys pulled into a service station got out of their car with AK's ( looked like anyway ) and gunned down another guy filling his van. Multiple rounds fired by both guys. Broad daylight earlier this morning.

There have been record gun sales for ...what... the last 3 years. I guess that the $Million question is: When are all those folks gonna start fighting back and protecting each other. Gun fights in the street are not anything I want, but something has got to give.

Ya, have 2 Ruger II .380's ( one is wifes ). You are spot on with the HMR, 200+ yards with no wind and @ 2600 fps pretty flat. I think that I remember something like a 1.5 inch drop.

Bigger IS better for stopping power. I would not use a .45 or .40 for a Bear, but a people - no problem. Ya just got to remember that the bigger bores shoot bigger bullets and they slow faster. So at 5ft to around 20ft you are good to go.

While we are at it, I just watched a news clip out of Philly - couple of guys pulled into a service station got out of their car with AK's ( looked like anyway ) and gunned down another guy filling his van. Multiple rounds fired by both guys. Broad daylight earlier this morning.

There have been record gun sales for ...what... the last 3 years. I guess that the $Million question is: When are all those folks gonna start fighting back and protecting each other. Gun fights in the street are not anything I want, but something has got to give.

The problem is the catch and release mentality.

No one believes in capital punishment anymore.....or hard time either. Prisons should not have TVs or any of that crap they should be working to pay the debt back to society period. Do the crime do the time but work it off until you fulfill that sentence. My take on that. Eye for an Eye as well. I do not like how these people sit on death row for eons. Flip the switch already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back