Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
A newly constructed hotel. A one room inn & suite. One of the guests close by. Not sure yet if just eggs or little uns with mom & dad.
The neighbors trees that shed 15 large bags of leaves every yr !

Attachments

• IMG_1554.JPG
    IMG_1554.JPG
    442 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1558.JPG
    IMG_1558.JPG
    430.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1555.JPG
    IMG_1555.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 75
Well, howdy there internet peeps!

It's Troy again.

The BBQ book is off with the Beta Readers, to find most of those pesky typos. I swear, they pop up like dandelions in a midwestern lawn after a good rain.

Still waiting on my new 3D printer screen to arrive. Then it's surgery time. Looks like a 15-minute fix, but I may have to do a firmware flash on the machine. there are three different screens for this printer, and each has different firmware.

Mother-unit news... back in the Hospital. She was nauseous, and not recovering any energy after a few good days. Trip to the ER, and the docs think it might be a UTI... waiting on cultures to come back from the lab. Antibiotics for now, and at least two overnights. However, the Hospital in Goshen opened their new wing. Mom has a big screen TV in her room! And there is a second, smaller TV for visiting spouses/children etc.

Started writing the new book. In this one, a bird-watcher gets killed... any serious birders in this group? And this series is set in the UK, so any Brits with favorite local birds? The only UK ones I know of are the Jackdaw, and the Unladened European Swallow (not gripping coconuts of any kind.)
We have
the magpie, and a rhyme
one for sorrow
two for joy
three for a Girl
four for a boy
five for silver
six for gold
seven for a secret never to be told
there was a kids programme same name and this rhyme/song featured
magpies are attracted to blue and apparently gold, and will steal jewellery
they take the eggs and babies of other birds
and attack those birds, you often here them crying when their nest is attacked
they are a black and white bird, and actually attractive
they are part of the corvid (no not Covid) family which includes a talking bird mynah which people have been known to keep as pets

the black crow tends to have large nests in tall trees, they also attack other birds, and are a pain to farmers as their large ‘murders’ are getting so aggressive they will even attack a near to birthing sheep break open the stomach and eat the yet unborn baby, they have been known to eat the eyes and tongue of the lambs while the mum is giving birth, gruesome but easily varified. crows are often in trees near churches, as those trees tend to be very old and well established, see a murder of crows.

the raven is a black and yellow beak, check out the Tower of London and the legend, if the ravens leave the kingdom will fall, there is even a ravenmaster there to tend to them., see ravens and Tower of London.

Pheasants are wild originally from India I think, they are food and can be hunted in season.

Peacocks are exotic, and on the very odd occasion you see them on a field, near to us someone obviously breeds them as I pass the fields I often see them, this is odd, and unusual, a garden centre near us also has them wandering around as an attraction.

robins, red chested are cheeky little creatures, very territorial, small and often watch gardeners in case they dig up worms, many people have trained them to come to the hand to feed.

you want me to continue …grins

" tried to get the CT scheduled with their “preferred provider”, they wanted the co-pay of more than my paycheck before they would even schedule the CT"

Mike:
That really sounds off the wall. Last year, when I had mu first CT, my PCP's office coded the script as a "Screening". Private insurance considers Screenings to be fishing, and doesn't pay for them. Medicare,has specific criteria for screenings based on CDC recommendations.

A new trend among providers(Labs, radiology etc), is to try and get you to self pay for apart of your tests, based on the "possibility" that your insurance may not cover the test...Once you sign the "waiver", they won't bill your insurance, just you, at the higher self pay rate.

Medicare, and private insurance will generally pay for any test or procedure deemed to be Medically Necessary, unless specifically excluded. Screenings are not generally considered Medically Necessary.

I would not have had the first CT scan, as I knew I was outside the Medicare criteria for a Screening, but the person who handled my appointment noted it, and messaged the PCP office for a corrected Script. When I showed up, I learned that the PCP never followed up. Intake clerk called the PCP and spoke to someone, who authorized a code change.

Not for nothing, none of us mere mortals are qualified to know the nuances of medical billing..."they", meaning the practitioners, facilities and insurers know the rules, (inside and out). The only reason I know as much as I do, is I had to review and audit all of my MIL's medical expenses.

She frequently self paid for covered encounters, because "the girl" told her it wasn't covered. It's my impression, that this sharp practice has only increased since Covid.

BTW:went shopping at the Acc-a-me this morning, and picked up some Habersett Scrapple..$3.75 / lb.
Joe- send me a PM, please. Setting won’t let me message you.
Sherrel- glad to hear that Kate got a 2nd negative test. Continued prayers for Irene as she battles this nasty virus.
Willie- I had a heart cath done about a dozen or so years ago, when I still lived in South Jersey. No stents put in, but apparently had a blockage that the body developed a bypass of, on it’s on, thankfully. The last time I was in the ER, that was one of the other possibilities that the hospitality was discussing.

Afternoon folks! Or maybe evenin'

I am feeling a little better but still have the cough. I actually ate solid foods last night and today finally. Only problem is that the taste is not back to normal yet. It may take a while? I dunno.

I finally received my (3) custom cars from the fella I bought my Big Boy from. The fella that works for the Nevada RR shortline. The cars are just gorgeous! Absolutley beautiful!

"Ducky" Rick Dakota Kempmf is incredible with his artistry!
Here is his info:
Customized by
Rick Dakota Kempf "Ducky"
Artist
(815) 295-5409
Dakota's Railroad & Circus Shop The Greatest Trains In The World
Facebook.com/dakotasrailroadshop
Dakotasrailroadshop@hotmail.com
Braidwood Illinois 60408

I will post the cars on the RPO thread but I got the following cars :

Walthers Proto
85' ACF Baggage Car - UP Heritage Series
Union Pacific (UPP)
Promontory Experience The Union Pacific
UPP #5752 (Standard)
920-9203

Walthers Proto
Union Pacific - American Flag Scheme #5769
920-9200

Walthers Proto
Art Lockman #6334 (Standard)
920-9204

All the above are customized by "Ducky"

with the following
Metal Grab Irons
Metal wheels
Kadee Couplers
Custom Door work with sills.
Custom Flooring
Custom figures inside
Custom Decals by Ducky
Additional custom equipment details inside of each car
Custom paint
and many other details.

I paid a really really cheap low price for these in my opinion. I paid 309 bucks including shipping for all 3 of them.. These cars usually go upwards to 200 a car for his work and sometimes more. This will go nicely with my dome cars I recently got and of course behind #4014 Big Boy.

Now I have 2 extra "American Flag Cars" that are NOT custom. I may keep one because it shows the doors closed. I will sell the other one.

I will go over to the RPO and post the cars up. Ya'll have a good evening!

Attachments

• 20220503_151149.jpg
    20220503_151149.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Hi Shop Dwellers!

. . .
Not for nothing, none of us mere mortals are qualified to know the nuances of medical billing..."they", meaning the practitioners, facilities and insurers know the rules, (inside and out). The only reason I know as much as I do, is I had to review and audit all of my MIL's medical expenses.
' ' '

Joe - Even my [MD] wife has trouble figuring out what billing codes to use on her office visits and the tests that she orders. Ever since she left the previous practice she worked for - which was behind the curve technology-wise and habitually under-billed - she's had to deal with a lot of these bounced insurance billings. And the "training" she recently got, seemed to only scratch the surface of the rat's nest of reasons insurers use as excuses to deny payment even of supposedly "covered" codes. I think the only people who truly know the secrets of successful billing are the insurance company lawyers - who [naturally] keep it close to their vests! :mad:

Someone here - Curt, I think? - wanted me to post photos of the layout open house. My visitors did, but rather than asking them to send me stuff from their cell phones, I find it more convenient to just shoot my own after-the-fact while the staged trains are still on it. So, here is the first one: A piggyback train that is rarely ever seen on the layout, which is designed for industrial switching and I just don't have the space for an intermodal terminal. I figured the open house would give me an excuse to run it. I shared a cropped close-up of part of this image in Lee's thread "TOFC Tuesday", this is the full-blown version:

TOFCinSouthBrooklyn_Updated.jpg

I had to manually do some photo stacking with this image, because my camera's automatic depth-of-field feature can't handle objects that are within 18 inches of the lens (like the lead loco and the signal). I'm seriously considering investing in Helicon Focus software since I hope to do many more of this type of scene...

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Good morning all! 58 with a thunderstorm and heavy rain going on now, heading for 74 and rain. Starting to wonder if I'll ever get the garden planted. So much rain!!!
Yesterday was a pretty good day at work, although it was longer than normal. I and my 2 work-study students accomplished quite a bit with projects I've been trying to work on and it made a very positive difference. Had to stay about 3 hours late though to help with streaming a new building dedication ceremony so I'll take off early later this week.
Nothing much else going on. Hope you all have a great day!
We also are very behind with gardening, it is hit and miss, I’ll try and get sone picture, the weather has been so dry that putting stuff out and not watering is a total lottery, in the polytunnel I have literally just filled spaces, mostly from seed collected last year. Still a late crop is better than no crop and many people won’t put out until after May 25th anyway.

OK James. Last summer I got a picture of 6334, "Art Lockman" when Big Boy 4014 came through near me. Due to the building behind me, I could not get a full picture and the train was moving out. Proof that it had people riding inside it.
IMG_7226.JPG

Morning all,

May the Forth be with you. Happy Star Wars day.

Not much going on yet this morning. Supposed to be rainy later today, where it's currently 51°.

Alcomotive: Beautiful cars. More ideas for me!

Since Willie mentioned 4014, I received an email that UP was canceling the first run to able to increase revenue service.

It was about 3 hours work clearing all the general freight cars off the layout and putting them in tubs.
I started assembling the cuts of intermodal well cars, singles, triples and 5 wells along with TOFC flats. Next will be to move em all through the intermodal facility to load them with containers and vans. I think I have a little over 500 of them on the layout and in tubs. Bought most of them at estate sales for around 50 cents each. Never go above 75 cents.

HEY THERE! Already been up for 2 hours - I hate these early wakeups, but the good part is that I managed about 6 hours of good sleep - a rarity?
Looking for 84f and sunny today.

MIKE The Spousal Unit graced me with her presence yesterday. I was very happy to see her - even though she insisted that we both wear masks (doctors orders).
She and her doctor are both trying to look after me and I keep wanting to fight them all! If I can just stay healthy for one more week to have me cardio taken care of - and I pray that it works.
Sherrel- glad to hear that Kate got a 2nd negative test. Continued prayers for Irene as she battles this nasty virus.
Willie- I had a heart cath done about a dozen or so years ago, when I still lived in South Jersey. No stents put in, but apparently had a blockage that the body developed a bypass of, on it’s on, thankfully. The last time I was in the ER, that was one of the other possibilities that the hospitality was discussing.
I too, had a heart cath done just about a year ago and was told the exact same thing of an automatic "fix" of a bypass?

KATE has to make another run to the pharmacy today for Irene's virus. Not sure if they can keep her out of the hospital at this point. I will know more when they wake up in a few hours, but Irene is having a rough time of it.

JAMES, Very nice collection of rolling stock there. Get well so you can enjoy them better. Glad to hear that your starting to eat again.

I've blabbered enough, just wanted to acknowledge your postings.
CURT - glad to hear that you were able to talk to PHIL as well.
bbl

IBKEN - Happy to hear that your open house was a success. That is a great photo you posted - more please!

Good Morning All. Cloudy, foggy and 59° out on the ranch this morning. Did I say foggy, it's real foggy; I am glad that I don't have to drive. The forecast calls for another major thunderstorm to hit us sometime around noon today, and potentially last until tomorrow afternoon near sundown. Then clearing and 90°+ temperatures for the foreseeable future.
A neighbor lady came by yesterday and brought us some surplus eggs from their chickens, and pointed out that their pool was already ready to use for this season. Her daughter was bored and did the set up over the weekend. They can't really use it yet since the water temperature is still in the 60's. I intend to open mine up this weekend until my wife reminded me that we'll be having company Sunday for Mother's Day.

Thanks to all who commented or liked yesterday's post; Karl, James, Tom O, Hughie, Patrick, Sherrel, Joe, Curt, IB Ken, Moermusic, Louis, Rick, Guy, Tom, George.

About all I did out in the train shed yesterday was paint figures and run trains. I had 20 figures ready that went to the paint booth for their shot of dull coat to prevent fading once on the layout.
IMG_0842.JPG

That's the only picture that I took, so since I had the folder open with the Big Boy pictures, I'll post a couple that I took back in August. I am not sure which of these I posted back then.
IMG_7208.JPG

IMG_7211.JPG

IMG_7212.JPG
IMG_7213.JPG
IMG_7220.JPG

The engineer took some pictures of the crowd while his co-pilot changed.
IMG_7221.JPG

Tom O
- I definitely had a "Moms then", according to your chart. I am glad that I did.
Ken (D&J) - I'd be in real trouble if I had to remove all of my 800 freight cars from the layout.
Joe - We are really blessed with a PCP who really knows his s**t about insurance coding. Rarely had a problem in the 17 years that we have been using him. That and his referrals, which always get us in the other guy's door immediately, certainly make up for him being 45 miles away.
OB Ken - I like the full blown picture of the TOFC train better. Glad to read that the open house went well, (I know I'm a day late, but the cardiologist was on my mind the other day). I am also set up for industrial switching and just run TOFC/containers as through trains.
I need to learn how to do photo-stacking, or at least try!

Everyone out there have a wonderful day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back