Running Bear's May 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Started out with chores, went to Harbor Freight for the hurricane season batteries. I think we are all set now with our various consumable supplies. This year we bought battery powered fans for when the power goes out. In the train room I gave the completed walls a wash of grimy black (coal fired brick power plant) and shingled half the roof. What a pain that was because of 4 molded brackets for vent fans.

Louis- Nice aerial view of Pitcarin. The Pennsy historical quarterly magazine 2 or 3 years ago almost did the whole issue on Pitcarin.

Alan- Beautiful looking train. Nice job on the interiors. Did the COSF have dividers like that between the seats? It reminds me of older European passenger cars.

Karl- Great animal photos. I especially like the look in your dog's face.

Willie- Nice scenes.

Sherrel- Have a good vacation. With everyone going it's almost like being on a sub.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Checking in quickly. Haven't been in here for a few days. Tursday is when a few of us get together for lunch at our favorite burger joint with numerous micro brews available. Wednesday I went out of town for a couple of days to visit relatives and then we had relatives come to visit for a couple of days Thursday and to do some shopping. We had snow in the higher elevations yesterday morning so they extended their visit until this morning. Back up into the 60's again today and temp possible getting up into the 80's by the end of the week.

Alan - Nice video. Quite the train. You must need a bit of power to pull all of those brass cars, especially is there are any grades.

Willie - Quite the crop of 'maters you have there. Unfortunately we never had much luck with them up here due to the short growing season. Usually didn't plant anything that needed over 65 days. Good photos. I will agree with the statement about the graffiti. I really don't care for it but luckily there wasn't any back in the 50's when I model. Guess people had a bit more respect for others property back then.

Louis - Those are some good photos you posted. Keep them coming. Missed them when you were gone for a while.

Karl - Good luck with the kitties. The dog doesn't look very interested.

Sherrel - Enjoy the vacation. Hope you don't get locked up for violating any quarantines.

I did find a room in the basement full of trains this morning. Wow. They sure are fun.

I did put my flag out today.

My son and his wife just arrived so I must leave. I will enjoy the Coca Cola 600.

IMAG0393-1.jpg

Later

Peace is descending on the house, 4 kittens gone, 1 to go! That goes to the next door neighbor as soon as she gets off work tonight. Dog and cat are pleased.

The leg is feeling much better, and the swelling has mostly subsided. I'm going in search soon for a new GP to see for me medical needs. I called them Thursday night, answering service. 2 hours later I get a call back to get antibiotics. The doctor on call agreed with my diagnosis, but insisted I go to the ER or a clinic. Well all the clinics were closed so I went to the ER and got the same antibiotics I was seeking. 9 a.m. Friday morning I got a call from my doctors office to see how I was and that I should follow up with them that day. I said, I don't think so, not today. I was in bed, foot elevated, on antibiotics and tired from not getting home til 2 a.m. She then proceeds to read me the riot act about neglecting my care, and how I am a bad patient, how I am overdue on my blood screening (they refuse to mail out the forms I need) and babbling about the holiday weekend and they will be closed. I told her I will call next week when I see what my schedule will allow, She says she is going to schedule me for Tuesday and keeps trying to steamroll me into a time slot.( with a $25.00 no show fee) I hung up on her.
I can't wait to call and transfer my records elsewhere.

Anyhoo, I get to play with trains today!!

crossing.jpg

Alan, The COSF cars are enough to make this right coaster want a few western models!

Chet, Nice N.P. train!

Almost spit my coffee reading that? :eek: :p:D

Sherrel, if this becomes a habit you might want to put Saran Wrap over the keyboard!

Willie, thanks for the Spearmint warning, duly noted.

Curt, you didn't get any jack stands at Harbor Freight did ya?

Good Afternoon all. I mowed trying to beat a forecast of 8 days or so of rain. Thanks for the likes. Posting the picture of the LIRR loco brought back some memories. So a Google Earth search turned up a view of Morris Park engine yard today. Looks like 1/2 the roundhouse is gone and nary a steam loco to be seen. In the 2nd pic you see a city park, Phil Rizzuto Park (He grew up in the neighborhood), which was called Smokey Park when I was a kid. The smoke and soot from the steam locomotives would drift across Atlantic Ave. and settle in the park. After a day of playing in the field, you would have black soot rings around your socks. If it were summer and you were sweaty, you looked like a coal miner. The women always kept an eye on the wind, since almost everyone hung their laundry on the clothesline.
Morris Park.png
Phil Risotto Park.png

LATER

My layout is a microcosm of the world that I live in. Like it or not, graffiti is a part of railroading, albeit illegal vandalism, during the era that I model. I personally think that graffiti artists are stupid and are risking their lives doing their artwork. But it is what it is. We each have a choice whether or not to include it on our models. I personally do not like shiny plastic freight cars. Things are different for Lionel collectors and I respect their preferences.
Willie, I hope I have not offended you, that was not my intent.

Things are more the same than you might think for Lionel collectors. Lionel even sells weathered equipment, locomotives and rolling stock.

I even have a couple of graffiti models from Lionel myself.

1590356069701.png

1590356155699.png

I never ran either, but I own them.

Good morning gang!
Flo, lets start with some blueberry pancakes and sausage.
Feeling good this morning, woke up and nothing hurt. Maybe I'm dead? Today is adoption day for the furballs. They are eating wet food, litter trained and ready!View attachment 113744
They were alot of work, but alot of fun too. Bud the dog and Desi the cat will be glad to get the couch back.
View attachment 113745
We still have not been able to catch the mother cat, and our neighbor texted us a picture this morning of a different cat with a kitten in our back yard. Good greif!!
Be back later, nature calls.
Love them fur babies! I rescued 2 from shelter last September 2019. 2 brothers from same litter. I couldn't take 1 and wanted to make sure there would be a play mate. Doc Holiday 20 lbs and Wyatt Earp 22 lbs are their names

Attachments

• 20200524_014515.jpg
    20200524_014515.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 20200523_161141.jpg
    20200523_161141.jpg
    806.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 20200515_190817.jpg
    20200515_190817.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 20200419_212826.jpg
    20200419_212826.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
That is so true, Willie. I find it so absurd that today's li'l darlings cannot play with another child without an appointment, nor walk a few blocks to school. But back then, things were different.

Yo Mike! Can you identify the location of the photo? I really liked the lines of Maxim ladder trucks.

View attachment 47549

View attachment 47551

Now, we cross over the Sound to Bridgeport, CT, where the the "Jet" pulls into the station with train # 398. R. Punta Photo from 8-24-1968
Man, can I smell that creosote !!! I'm missing it now, due to concrete ties and station platforms. It was part of experiencing railroading. Now I have to go sniff a telephone poll (pole ?) M.......

Alan - Nice video. Quite the train. You must need a bit of power to pull all of those brass cars, especially is there are any grades.

Thanks! The A-B-B set of E-6’s do nicely. One of the B units is still a dummy but I have a Santa Fe E-6 B that is going to donate its chassis to make all three unit’s powered. The train is heavy but they have handled it so far. The layout’s ruling grade is 2%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back