Running Bear's May 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much they could do about January 1 or July 4!

Willie: I recall a discussion about July 4th, but smarter people prevailed. Messing with July 4this like messing with Apple Pie and Superman's Cape!

My father would take me down to the refinery in Waterloo to ride in the cab while the crews switched the cars around

Sherrel: That must have been great. I recall there was an article about that line in Trains or Model Railroader, back in the day.

Burlington Bob: Those are fantastic photos. There is much fantastic scenery in Tennessee. I regret not taking the time to stop and enjoy, when I was traveling to and from Clarksville.

Good day all. Another warm day shaping up. Nothing to report from the train room. The forecasts for Sunday and Monday are rain and more rain so I should get some train time.
Wish everyone a safe and happy Memorial Day.
Star Spangled.png

Louis: So what's wrong with being a out of control train junkie? Speaking of selling, it's becoming more apparent that some of my stuff has no place on the railroad I'm building, and since I still buy stuff that fits, I'm running out of storage space. i many go from eing a perpetual uyer, to a buyer and a seller, once I finish discovering lost treasures.

Had to laugh at a fellow who posted on the passenger car list overnight. he was in his LHS, and saw some of Rapido's beautiful new CN Dining Cars on display. Rapido always offers the Canadian cars in other (US) roads to broaden the market appeal. He likes the one done in NP. It was sad that this man was asking if it woule be appropriate, and prototypical to buy the NP car...Time to get real, if you like it, buy it, if you don't like it, don't get it. Of course it's not a NP car, it's a freakin Canadian national Diner, eh? Buy it. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

FWIW, I believe they did these in PRR and B&O too. I am tempted, but there is also a New Haven Diner that would be more appropriate...talk about out of control passenger car junkies? :rolleyes:

Have a great weekend, and stay well and safe!

Nothing wrong with being an out of control train Junkie. We are not spending the milk money.

The only problem is; I have better things to do with my time than selling stuff I never should have bought.

" if you like it, buy it, if you don't like it, don't get it." ... "Who cares what anyone else thinks." I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

My father would take me down to the refinery in Waterloo to ride in the cab while the crews switched the cars around. Sure wish he owned a camera back then. Spent the first ten years of my life listening to the whistle of this locomotive...lived about 600 feet from the refinery.
View attachment 113699
1951 my folks bought a house 1 block from the LIRR Morris Park engine facility. Engine roundhouse, turn table, coal tipple the works. I spent countless hours watching steam locomotives being serviced and set out on the ready tracks. I loved the sound and smell.
LIRR Loco at Morris Park.png

Nothing wrong with being an out of control train Junkie. We are not spending the milk money.

The only problem is; I have better things to do with my time than selling stuff I never should have bought.

" if you like it, buy it, if you don't like it, don't get it." ... "Who cares what anyone else thinks." I couldn't have said it better myself. :)
Here's one I wouldn't have minded having.
CG Lionel.png

Good day all. Another warm day shaping up. Nothing to report from the train room. The forecasts for Sunday and Monday are rain and more rain so I should get some train time.
Wish everyone a safe and happy Memorial Day.
View attachment 113700
I'm confused. Is that supposed to be a fireworks, or a virus? Seriously. It looks like it could be either, or both. The context of your note even makes it look like it could be both.

Last edited:
Bob - You remind me that we haven't been to Babes in a while. Absolutely great fried chicken and even better chicken fried steak, problem is that they add too much salt to the green beans and cream corn though.

Mapping?

That's a great idea if I put things away where they belong!

My father would take me down to the refinery in Waterloo to ride in the cab while the crews switched the cars around. Sure wish he owned a camera back then. Spent the first ten years of my life listening to the whistle of this locomotive...lived about 600 feet from the refinery.
View attachment 113699

Does that mean you are a refined gentleman? 😇

Louis-Looks like they don't want anyone on GM50..........they've got it all roped off.

Burlington Bob: Those are fantastic photos. There is much fantastic scenery in Tennessee. I regret not taking the time to stop and enjoy, when I was traveling to and from Clarksville.

Yes, Tennessee has some beautiful scenery and it's one of the reasons we chose the state. Not to mention taxes are a quarter of what we used to pay in Illinois! We also were torn between Arkansas and Texas. We really like Texas, but the taxes were the ultimate deciding factor. Arizona is also beautiful, but long range forecasts for the state don't look good. We lived in Mesa for six and a half years back in the 80's and we LOVED it.

It's the last Monday regardless of what the date is. When I was younger, it was on May 30th, whichever day it was. Then along came elected officials and bureaucrats who wanted three day weekends! Presidents Day supplanted two presidential birthdays at the same time. Not much they could do about January 1 or July 4!
Sorry, it July 4 falls ona weekend, Independence dayison the firstMonday after.

Reminds me of a time we were in Florida. We were staying at a hotel with doors facing the outside. We were headed back to our room. Up ahead we saw a snake on the walk. Then we saw it enter an air conditioner unit under the window of a room. We stopped walking, and decided we should report what we saw. Just then, the people who were staying in that room were returning from the swimming pool. We told them what they saw. The lady screamed. The man called the front desk, and they were moved to another room.

Afternoon All,

Today I painted the concrete trim on the building sides, and installed windows, doors and glass. Based on what Garry said last night I did some investigation about the interior and sure enough there is a separate interior kit. Actually there are 2 but I didn't order the boom crane (I actually have one I can use already). It's supposed to be here Friday. :confused:

Louis- What's going to be the dimensions of that track plan?

Beady- That video was hilarious.

Joe- Yeah, clutter really bothers me. You hit the nail on the head about the meaning behind Memorial Day being a remembrance of our war dead. We're starting to hear about litigation cases from students suing colleges for not providing services paid for, vacationers suing for deposits back or the whole paid vacation, and people who had deposits to build a house and now can't qualify for a loan because of Covid.. I think financially we still haven't reached the worst yet.

Thank you for the likes yesterday.

Terry- Great video.

Bob- Beautiful scenery.

Willie- The billboard looks great.

Hughie- Great LIRR G5 photo

Sherrel- Nice loco picture.

Garry- Great scene. I ordered the interior only because the building will be close to the front edge of the layout.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Here's a progress report on the tomato plants in the garden.
View attachment 113703
The ones on the right have outgrown the 4' tall cages already. the ones on the right planted about three weeks later are over 2' now.
View attachment 113704
And a small sampling of the "fruits".
View attachment 113705View attachment 113706
View attachment 113707

Hoping to duplicate the bumper crop of 2017.
View attachment 113708

😂 Willie - As soon as I saw you're tomato report, I ran outside to photograph our plant(s). Here is my tomato report:
Tomatoe2.jpg

🤣

🤣
Tomatoe1.jpg

Now, normally we only grow snow. Just thought we would try tomatoes this year, and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back