Running Bear's May 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm many pages behind, maybe as many as ten. Man that has been doing my yard has health/heart problem. I've been mowing my yard- in small stages but it has bee3n knocking the heck out of me.
WILLIE- Sorry to read about FLUFFY.
It will take time to go back and TRY to see what I have been missing.
Wish all a Good Nights sleep and Health
Phil
Phil, good idea working in small stages and don't be shy of taking breaks during each stage.

I spend almost as much time taking breaks as I do working.

God be with you my friend.

Louis- the weekend after Memorial Day is Dairyfest here in Marshfield, which is a a major civic even in our small city, as it’s a kickoff to June being National Dairy Month. It has been postponed indefinitely, as have many major civic events between now & July. Many of the small towns & villages, especially Up North, may not financially survive, as the rely on the short summer tourism season $$ to get them thru the long, cold winter.
Mike that is a sad thing.

Add that to a long list of hardships brought on by this crisis.

It may be politically incorrect, but it is funny!
How is the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania politically sensitive????? Bugs Bunny is not insensitive, he's a New Yawker! :eek::rolleyes:

Mike: Great video. Great call. Gene Hart was a legend in those parts. The shore towns here closed beach and boardwalk to keep out of towners out. Now as we enter may, and the parking meters are and beach tag booths are in place and ready, and no one is there, they are thinking they over reacted. :oops::oops:

Nice day today... going to enjoy it. Have planting to do. Parks & Golf courses reopen today! 5/1 count is 501 cases in town, gain of 15 from last count.

NWS Earle 5.jpg

Best kept secret at the Jersey Shore! Navy Railroad, NWS Earle to Leonardo. Lite engine passing under the parkway.

Good Morning Everyone. Clear and 65° here on this Saturday morning. Maybe 90° later today and the forecast for tomorrow has changed and the weather guessers are now predicting only low 90's for the next two days. They were originally predicting 99° for tomorrow. But they haven't been correct for most of this year.
Still working on thinning out the woods for next years firewood, cut up another week's worth yesterday. It's actually a good form of exercise, bending, lifting and stacking. Meanwhile the garden is doing well. Still picking radishes, lettuce and spinach. Picked a couple of "cull" onions yesterday. Flowers all over the tomato plants and some on the peppers. Need to irrigate today or tomorrow. Today it's back to mowing.

How about some sausage, egg and cheese biscuits this morning Flo. Large cold OJ to go with it.

Thanks for the many likes and comments yesterday regarding the minor progress made on the layout; Louis, Patrick, Jerome, Bob, Steven, Sherrel, Garry, Joe, Chet, Chad, Karl, Paul, Curt, Tom, Phil, James, Ken. Again, thanks for the condolences for our cat. I already miss him at the back door every morning.

Not good news from the train shed yesterday. My iPod docking station/speakers started acting up. I already know that no one repairs them any more, so it took my time and workbench space for a while. I was finally able to pull a circuit board from an older one that went out six years ago and "kitbashed" a working model. Ordered another one (different brand) since this may not last too long.
Trainwise, I added underbrush and other scenery details here and there to complete(?) the area that I am working on.
05-02-20 002.JPG

05-02-20 003.JPG

I still plan on adding some tall weeds the next time I get those details out.
Meanwhile, I think that I have resolved my unfinished/lost structure dilemma in front of this area. I found a structure that's only 1/4" narrower than the one that is there and I will add it as soon as I extend the sidewalk just a bit to match the adjoining structures.
05-02-20 004.JPG

It juts out too far.
Once the stereo was out of the way, I did some minor surgery on a pair of Kato GP35's. For my era, pilot footboards were outlawed, so I removed them.
05-02-20 001.JPG

I need to pick up some MU hoses and uncoupling levers to complete the upgrade as I think that I don't have any left. I intend to add them to the roster of locos used for switching duties, thus giving the CF7's a bit of a break. Well they really don't need a break, just a bit of variety for me. Even when performing switching duties around here, Santa Fe double-headed their locos.

Sherrel - Did you ever Google "Gandy Dancers? If not, try this: Gandy dancer
Joe - Even though my family moved from Brooklyn in 1959, some of my fondest memories growing up came from there. Moving to New Orleans was an absolute culture shock! Imagine the ostracism my parents would have gotten in this day and time because they let me wander the streets and neighborhoods unattended.
Garry - Your pictures have been just great. It's so good to see more of your layout.
Louis - Happy Birthday to your Mom.

Today would have been Kentucky Derby Day, but it has been postponed for good reason.
Everybody have a great day.

Imagine the ostracism my parents would have gotten in this day and time because they let me wander the streets and neighborhoods unattended.

That is so true, Willie. I find it so absurd that today's li'l darlings cannot play with another child without an appointment, nor walk a few blocks to school. But back then, things were different.

Yo Mike!
Can you identify the location of the photo? I really liked the lines of Maxim ladder trucks.

Maxim Ladder PFD L11 Municipal Stadium,.jpg

Local 398 at Bridgeport CT 8-24-1968 R Punta Photo.jpg

Now, we cross over the Sound to Bridgeport, CT, where the the "Jet" pulls into the station with train # 398. R. Punta Photo from 8-24-1968

Good morning ....

Chet, Karl, Sherrel, Joe, Curt, WIllie, and anybody I missed ............ Thank you for commenting on my West End Depot. I now have the entire layout covered with scenery, buildings, structures, and track. I still have more to do, but this is better than looking at just boards and track. .... Thanks, too, for everybody who "liked" my post.

Curt .... I'm not sure what the brand name was for the cross buck. I purchased them a few years ago, and I recently tired unsuccessfully to search for more of them. They are plastic and come with several attached to a sprue.

WIllie .... I meant to say previously I was sorry to read your Fluffy passed away. I like your daily train shed progress reports;. Please continue.

Louis .... You said the cartoon you posted was politically incorrect. I think we should all be politically incorrect and proud of it. ... I don't know when it will stop. ...... Recently, Land-O-Lakes Butter Company removed the Indian maiden from their logo because of ridiculous PC nonsense.

Joe .... I like the photos you are posting. PRR BP20's always looks good to me even when dirty. NH "Jets" are remarkable. I like seeing old fire truck, but I do not know much about them.

Curt .... Your mine project looks great.

Everybody ..... Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Good morning. A nice sunny day with the temps expected to get up near 70 again. Had a new printer delivered yesterday. I am a bit PO'ed at HP. The old printer was just about 2 years old. I haven't used it at all and the wife uses it for out bowling league. She hadn't printed anything since March when the league was cancelled for the rest of the season. She went to print some info for the league members and the printer wouldn't recognize the print head. Screwed around with it and was given a message that it needed cleaning or replacement. Tried cleaning with no results and with a new print head going for $172 it went to the dump. This will be the last ink jet if we have any more problems. Color laser printers and now costing nearly the same as ink jets. RANT OVER !

Terry
- I would have to agree with you on the face masks. As I mentioned previously, Costco will start requiring face masks on Monday and we will not shop there until they are no longer required. We don't have any face masks and won't be buying any.

Curt - The mine is looking excellent. Quite the project.

Louis
- Can't forget those birthdays. My wife's is east to remember, May 5th.

Joe
- That shark is looking a bit shabby. The NH electric is sweet.

Willie - As usual, nice photos.

Here's my picture for the day. Japan's newest bullet train.

-1x-1.jpg

My son and his wife are on their way over so I am going to bet out of here.

Later

Louis .... You said the cartoon you posted was politically incorrect. I think we should all be politically incorrect and proud of it. ... I don't know when it will stop. ...... Recently, Land-O-Lakes Butter Company removed the Indian maiden from their logo because of ridiculous PC nonsense.

Garry, that particular cartoon is more than politically incorrect, it's down right racist by today's standards.

As I see it that's the problem, we look at the past and judge based on modern standards. That is the ridiculous part, in my eyes at least.

No matter how you see Bugs Bunny it's still funny!

I'll be dog gone! I just checked the butter I just bought this week. They did take the Indian lady off the package! First the Indian off the Cleveland Indians hats, now this! I just hope Daniel Snyder doesn't give in and change the name of the Redskins or the logo!

Last edited:
Garry, that particular cartoon is more than politically incorrect, it's down right racist by today's standards.

As I see it that's the problem, we look at the past and judge based on modern standards. That is the ridiculous part, in my eyes at least.

No matter how you see Buggs Bunny it's still funny!

I'll be dog gone! I just checked the butter I just bought this week. They did take the Indian lady off the package! First the Indian off the Cleveland Indians hats, now this! I just hope Daniel Snyder doesn't give in and change the name of the Redskins or the logo!
Political correctness has been coming on for ages. One of my childhood memories is of my mom taking me to see Disney's Song of the South. It was my 1st visit to a cinema, and I sang Zippity do da all the way home. Nowadays, you can't mention that you have seen it once without somebody flipping out!

Afternoon,
Terry- The hospital my wife works at pretty much all their masks and other ppe equipment is from China.

As for Bugs and the gang the banned ones are on youtube.
Well after all the unnecessary rain on Thursday it'll be a few days before I can mow. Just a short trip around the yard to check the yard drains I had mud splatter from my feet to my knees.

Afternoon All,

Spent most of the morning working on 2 outlets in the kitchen...don't ask, not my finest hour :confused:. While I was flailing around in the kitchen our Kurig coffee maker decided to die, so we ordered one online from Kohls and after lunch we picked it up at the store curbside. Now we have coffee:). I think I have decided to do the lighting as the next stop for the build since the 4 sets of stairs will probably be pretty fragile.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

Bob- Great version of the song.

Louis- Happy Birthday to your Mom. Thanks for the music video.

Joe- Thank you. I think starting Monday in FL you can start doing elective surgery. At least the loco isn't painted white (from my sailor days).

Willie- Nice scenes.

Garry- Thank you. The Tichy ones are way over sized.

Chet- Thank you. That loco looks like a fighter from Star Wars.

I hope everyone has a good night.

As a lifelong Cowboy fan, it's always been the Washington Foreskins to me.
Living in Baltimore; if I had a dollar for every derogatory name I've heard for the Redskins...

It's all good, just old sports needling.

I've been following the Redskins since Vince Lombardi came to DC. Then George Alan, a true character! His "Over the Hill Gang" surprised a few people.

Joe Gibbs did pretty good as well. Three Super Bowl wins with 3 different Quarterbacks. Been kind of lean since, but a true fan sticks by his teams.

Not to mention all the entertaining games with the Cowboys over the years! The Cowboys are like the Yankees, most loved and hated teams

The Redskins were my second favorite team, then my only favorite team and back to second favorite team. Baltimore first, always!

Here's my picture for the day. Japan's newest bullet train.

View attachment 47556

Sorry for another long post. I guess being stuck at home leads to long posts.

This is the Class 956 "ALFA-X" Experimental Shinkansen (bullet train) from JR East. The noses on each end are different to test different configurations. This won't be running in revenue service but a new commercially running series will probably show up in the next 5-10 years based on what they learn from this model. Some of the things being tested are nose configurations for tunnels, technology to keep snow from sticking, and dampers to reduce vibration and help from derailing in an earthquake. Japan is a mountainous country and has lots of tunnels on the rail network (which sucks for WiFi use since the train picks up the internet signal through other radio technology for broadcasting as WiFi in train and the tunnels mess that up). Their tunnel loading gauge is rather narrow and they have pressure wave issues with high speed passage in the tunnels so they tend to make long, somewhat slender noses to make the train entrance into the tunnel gradual to help lesson the wave or make it uneven so you don't get a sonic boom as the train exits, or something like that. The other end of this train has a longer nose I believe.

Shows long nose:

General info:

JR East is basically Tokyo and then north (on Honshu, the main island). The northernmost island, Hokkaido, has its own JR Hokkaido rail company, though the Shinkansen network just gets on to Hokkaido to Hakodate right now. They are currently building Shinkansen tracks to Sapporo. JR East currently uses the E5 Shinkansen on the mainline Shinkansen tracks and JR Hokkaido has also purchased their own version of the E5 called the H5 and currently the Tokyo -- Hakodate run is shared between the JR East and JR Hokkaido E5/H5 fleet. The Shinkansen lines for JR East and JR Hokkaido run at 25K VAC at 50hz.

The Shinkansen lines that start at Tokyo and go south are run by the rail company JR Central. They run at 25k VAC at 60hz and are totally different models of train. The main one that direction is the N700/N700A and newly coming out N700S. They run all the way from Tokyo to Fukuoka (Hakata Terminal). Some stop in Osaka and some go all the way to Hakata terminal. JR West also runs N700 trains from Osaka to Fukuoka (Hakata Terminal) and then in cooperation with JR Kyushu they also run N700 on Kyushu all the way to Kagoshima. (JR Kyushu also runs one called the 800 and JR West still has a 500 or so and a 700 called Rail Star and JR Central ended their last 700 based service [not N700]). One interesting thing is that during the main hours, you get a new 16 car Shinkansen leaving Tokyo and going south every 6-8 minutes... I think going north you get them frequently as well but I am not sure if it is quite as frequent.

There is a new train E7/W7 which is a cooperation between JR East and JR West and can run on both 25k VAC 50hz and 60hz and serves Tokyo and the north shore along the Sea of Japan to the south on the main island to Osaka in a big loop. Not the most direct way from Osaka to Tokyo (and currently it does not go all the way through -- still being built) but it gives bullet train service along the north shore of the main island on the Sea of Japan.

Our last trip this past summer to Japan we went north from Tokyo all the way to Hokkaido for the first time. Previously my son and I had ridden the JR East Shinkansen a few stations north to say we had been on them. This time we went all the way to Hakodate, with a stop in Aomori for a few hours. So we got a lot of E5/H5 time in besides the normal N700 time we usually get. We also rode the special JR West "Hello Kitty" 500 Shinkansen.

The reason why some parts are 50hz and some are 60hz is interesting. (This goes for the 100V domestic electricity as well). Back when Japan was modernizing at the later half of the 1800s, they invited the US and Germany to help with the electricity infrastructure. Those places that had the US help have 60hz, and those places that had Germany help got the European standard 50hz. Basically S Japan is 60hz and N Japan is 50hz. Not sure where the dividing line is.

With the tunnels and long noses. In Europe they have wider entrances and exits from tunnels compared to Japan, and they also have some venting of air to lessen pressure waves, so the HST you see in Europe don't have the long noses that you see in Japan. Also, Taiwan chose the 700 series (an earlier Shinkansen series that the N700 was developed from and looks similar to). They also have a larger/wider/bigger loading gauge for their HS tunnels and so the nose on their version of the 700 is not as long as the Japanese version of the 700. And the Texas HST rail project is supposed to use the N700S variant, but in an export version with shorter nose since they don't have the tunnel issues there either.

The first 4 are various E5 we went on on the way to or from Hokkaido, then there is an N700A and the Hello Kitty 500 (both from JR West I believe)

IMG_1707.jpgIMG_1712.jpgIMG_1719.jpgIMG_1834.jpgDSC02410.jpgIMG_1425 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Good evening .

Toot ! ..... LOL ! ... That is funny. Where are you? In the nose? Ears? ? .... If weather gets too warm in Canberra, Scooby Doo is hot under the collar. ;)

Alan ..... Excellent pain and lettering on your COSF cars.

Chet and Chadbag ..... Interesting photos of Japanese trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back