Running Bear's May 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
CHET - Thanks for the video - I thought I had worn that one out? :cool:

GARRY - I like the way you fixed that corner. More excellent work! :)

GREG - Your list never seems any smaller - I wish you would spend a couple weeks here.
My list isn't that long, but I try my best to ignore it? :p

JOE - Like the e-44's! :)

Good morning everyone! Well I found out I'm starting work next week but from home and only 24 hours a week. I'm not sure how that is going to work since I fabricate miniatures for movies. Usually, there are NDAa involved, and bandsaws. Instead, I'll be at the kitchen table with my 5th graders. Maybe they can help, they are great artists, better than I am. I'll find out more next week. So far, I prefer the old normal.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat Willie.

My girls told me Mayflowers bring Pilgrims but the new neighbors is a good answer too. My youngest daughter really likes the 2Cellos version of Thunderstruck. I like the original but Leo Moracchioli's metal version is fun too.

I enjoy the vintage photos, when you are young the quick passage of time isn't noticeable until what you thought would always be there is gone. BN SD40-2s, for example. they were on nearly every train when I started paying attention and are now few and far between.

Enterprise dog would go over well with my co-workers. We tried to ban Star Wars discussion once but lasted less than a day.

In addition to Saints Philip and James, it is St Joseph the Worker. Legend has it he showed up personally and built the staircase in the Loretto Chapel in Santa Fe, NM.

Good Afternoon all. A beautiful day here in Houston, 82 degrees with a moderate breeze. Spending some time cleaning up old files and unused apps on my computers and phone. If you have never done "disk clean up" you will be amazed by how many gigs of memory you can gain.
Notified this morning my Broadway Limited NW-2 has shipped.
Thanks for all the likes.
Willie - It always amazes me just how attached one can get to a pet. Condolences on your loss.
All - If you really like Thunderstruck, check out the "Mad Piper"
LATER

Good Afternoon All,

Ran errands this morning. I finished the conveyor building today. The 3 different sections are not glued together. I have to decide what type of roofing I will put on it. I'm thinking possibly corrugated or shingles like the rest of it. The roof is not glued on to do this. I probably won't get to work on the mine tomorrow because I have a home project to do. The next step is building the 3 or 4 sets of stairs for the lower tipple. I'm not looking forward to them as I haven't been very good with stairs in past builds.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

Terry- Now that's hilarious.

Chad- Great looking locos and background story.

Willie- Sorry for the passing of Fluffy. Nice job ballasting the turnout.

Hughie- Nice layout scene and electric.

Louis- Nice pictures. My favorite song from AC/DC is Hell's Bells.

Joe- Great photo.

Garry- Nice scenes on your layout. Who makes the crossbucks or did you scratch build them?

Chet- Nice video.

20200501_143919_copy_1612x1209.jpg

20200501_144323_copy_1612x1209.jpg
Although the head house looks like it's leaning it's not. The HOn3 track side sits 1/2 inch above ground level.
20200501_144338_copy_1612x1209.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

View attachment 47515
Today's photo is of a pair of E44s moving West on the West Philadelphia Elevated Branch (aka the "High Line"). The large Art Deco building in the background was the Main Philadelphia Post office, on Market Street. The photographer, took the photo from the main building at Drexel University, where he was probably a student. Ludlow St. which is to the left of the photo, leads to "Lower" 30th. Street. the sub grade cobblestone street beneath 30th Street. If you turn left, it will take you to Penn Coach Yard, and Race Street Engine House. Turn Right and it will take you to lower Walnut St, and the Railway Express Facility. That was your West Philly Geography lesson for today. Most folks from that city didn't even know these places existed.

Funny, when I saw E44, I kind of expected to see the following E44 (German Electric Locomotive from the 30s-80s). It is interesting what your existing knowledge and experience in your brain does to pre-condition you to seeing / learning new things..

I'd say something about May Day, but I don't want to get political. All I will say is my Hungarian wife does not like May Day. ;)

May 2nd will be my Mom's 88th birthday! I'll celebrate that by dropping her gift and birthday dinner off at her door. Poor lady has been in on lock down in solitary confinement. She told my wife on the phone "I hope this is over by the 4th of July" That tells me she is ready to party with us!

Tom, I enjoyed that May Day ;) Great goal! Great Call.

Among other things on this busy day,it's Amtrak's 49th Birthday!

May Pole at Morton Ave Public School.jpg

Students pose around May Pole on May 1, at Morton Avenue Public School probably in the 1960s.

Garry, the station in the corner fits the space well. I like your HW passenger train.
Curt: The coal breaker is coming along fine.
Chad: Interesting. The PRR had GE build 66 E44 motors rated at 4400 HP, beginning in the early '60s. They replaed the earlier P5 and P5A classes of AC motor, and the Post WW2 experimentals. The last group of the class were classified as E44a, and delivered 5500 HP. They remained in service until Conrail pulled down the wire in 1980 or so. Nothing they couldn't handle, but they were noisy.
Chet: Great NYC photo, neat trial offer commentary!
Sherrel: Pay them no mind...we haven't got our stimulus money either. Must be connected to our states of residence.

Went to the surgeon, and the knee surgery is a go. Do the left knee first, the right about 3 months later. 6 weeks of intense PT after each. The catch, since Elective surgery is still verboten, it won't be until mid June at the earliest, and possibly into August, before the fun begins. On the way home, I stopped at HD. Picked up two bags of vegetable garden soil, three tomato plants, and one pepper plant. Yhey have the garden department sealed off from the main store. There were 50+ people standing on line waiting to get in the main store. I still need weed killer spray, bug spray, and wild bird seed. Might try early tomorrow AM.

Tomorrow is supposed to be nice, so it's a garden day. The lawn needs to be cut, leaves need to be raked, and the tomatoes planted. After all, it's May!

E44 and Sharks at Amboy 1963.jpg

South Amboy Enginehouse, 1963. Aging BP20, Alco RS-1, and almost new E44s.

I'd say something about May Day, but I don't want to get political. All I will say is my Hungarian wife does not like May Day. ;)

May 2nd will be my Mom's 88th birthday! I'll celebrate that by dropping her gift and birthday dinner off at her door. Poor lady has been in on lock down in solitary confinement. She told my wife on the phone "I hope this is over by the 4th of July" That tells me she is ready to party with us!
Louis- the weekend after Memorial Day is Dairyfest here in Marshfield, which is a a major civic even in our small city, as it’s a kickoff to June being National Dairy Month. It has been postponed indefinitely, as have many major civic events between now & July. Many of the small towns & villages, especially Up North, may not financially survive, as the rely on the short summer tourism season $$ to get them thru the long, cold winter.

I'm many pages behind, maybe as many as ten. Man that has been doing my yard has health/heart problem. I've been mowing my yard- in small stages but it has bee3n knocking the heck out of me.
WILLIE- Sorry to read about FLUFFY.
It will take time to go back and TRY to see what I have been missing.
Wish all a Good Nights sleep and Health
Phil

Where I work got some face masks today. We are encouraged to wear them.
After reading the label that came with them, I'm thinking I may be better off not bothering...
View attachment 47536
Terry, Amazon gives us something similar to wear. I think they do more to protect others than they do the wearer. I read the only mask approved to protect the wearer is the N95 mask.

I don't like the damn things! But I wear it because it makes others feel more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back