Running Bear's May 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everybody!

I don't have much time before I go pickup my grandson, but I wanted to say hello.

I've been better, but I've been worse, it's not bad to be some where in the middle. Everyday I can get up and go is a great day!
"Look inside of yourself, you might see someone you don't know"

I found time to buy this and took advantage of free shipping!
Lionel O 6-84795 Plug Expand Play Deluxe Christmas House
View attachment 36942
Have a great day Everybody

God bless us Everyone!

"que Beady :) "
And all who sail in us.
FB_IMG_1555107785696.jpg

Howdy ....

Terry ... That’s funny about the “tornado” blowing its horn. Sorry to hear about the AC

Willie... I like watching your progress with the building .

Johnny ... I, too, have not had Model railroading time lately.

Everybody.else ... be. Back later. Just got interrupted.

I’m back briefly .

Greg ... your layout photos look great. The weathered ACL boxcar looks good.

Louis ... Happy to see you back. You certainly were missed.

I actually had some time for the model railroad. I operated trains. I am using the coal mine even though it still needs scenery in front of it.

Cheers

Morning all,

Actually have time for a short stack with bacon this morning.

Weather was halfway decent yesterday with the clouds clearing off in the later afternoon. high of 74. Clear and 54 this morning with a high of 79.
No rain expected again until the weekend. I have to do server updates on Saturday, so I may check in.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 61 here. High is forecast for 67. We had some rain overnight, no strong or severe storms, and no tornadoes.
There was a train derailment near where we were visiting Monday, about 50 miles South of Cleveland, on CSX. No fatalities other than a lot of vegetables in the reefer cars. I watched a security cam video of the derailment, it looked like the trailing truck of the lead diesel was off the track, and when it hit the grade crossing, everything behind it went on the ground.

Glad that you heard from Louis - I was wondering if the results of the Mueller report was what made him ill?

Seriously? thank you for your concern. For Karl and others i will make only one brief comment about that, read the report for yourself, not the 4 page white wash. As Mr. Mueller said yesterday "It speaks for itself" and as Fox News said "this is trouble for Trump"

PS I actually do watch Fox News, I like to get all sides of the story. "Democracy dies in darkness"

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. 63 and partly cloudy here. Looks like we're in for 3-4 days of nice weather, i.e., no tornadoes, hail, torrential rain, or high winds. Whoo-hoo!!

Nothing to report from the train room. Can't wait to get some time down there again.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning Everybody! Two days in a row, about that sports fans! I feel a streak coming on. Well lets not get carried away, I'll do my best to "work the count" and take it one day at a time.

Thanks to all of you who have shown sincere concern and for those of you who I know have been praying for me. God Bless you all!

Last edited:
I watched a security cam video of the derailment, it looked like the trailing truck of the lead diesel was off the track, and when it hit the grade crossing, everything behind it went on the ground.
Nice to know that sometimes reality mimics modelling.

Good Morning All. A nice cool 62° and partly cloudy. Thunderstorm system has moved east and should be hitting Garry soon. Eventually left 3.75" in the rain gauge; just when I thought it was nearly over yesterday, Mother Nature doubled down and hammered us. Pool is overflowing and I had just gotten the chemicals right, sigh! I'll take a couple of sausage, egg and cheese biscuits this morning Flo.
Grocery/beer trek coming up this morning. Looks like I'll add the wine store, vitamin shop and library to the list. We did schedule my wife's knee replacement surgery for late July, after the vacation and after the doctor's vacation. Looks like there's an approved physical therapy center 12 miles away that she can use for post-op therapy; beats the 50 mile round trip to Denton. The other knee maybe in mid-October, maybe!

Thanks for the ongoing likes and comments regarding the events in the train shed, Phil, Sherrel, Jerome, Patrick, Curt, Dave, Garry.

So, speaking of the train shed, I spent some time out there after being trapped inside the house (due to excessive rainstorms) after household tasks. I covered a 5" x 6" area with ground foam, and then rubbed my elbow in it and had to do part of it over. No picture! I did some more tinkering with the front wall of the Masonic Lodge. I am deviating from directions a bit. At this stage, I should have already glued all three layers of front wall together, but in reading ahead I noted something that would be less than easy for me. In this picture of the walls, you can see three blue strips of thinner cardstock that have to be applied into the recesses at the top of the wall. I determined that centering them in step nine would not be as easy as putting them in right now before gluing the third wall layer on.

05-30-19 003.JPG

So that's what I did.
05-30-19 004.JPG

Everything is now glued and under weights, hence no picture yet. Step two is now complete. Step one was simply cutting out the base which was set aside for now.
Meanwhile I cut out the two side walls to begin step three. Excuse the peripheral clutter on the workbench, it's all "work in progress".:cool:
05-30-19 001.JPG

Note that there are 18 more of those cutouts to do along the tops of them. This kit predates the laser-cut era!:confused:

Louis - Great to see your posts yesterday and this morning, and I see that you haven't ignored model railroading.
Greg - Nice job on the ACL boxcar. Might I suggest strengthening the weathering along the rivet lines, perhaps with a light dusting of powders.
Curt - Those brackets and rigging/railing really soured me when building tank car kits. I for one, really welcomed the RTR tankers, even as overpriced as I thought they were.
Dave - More than anything, this Masonic Lodge kit is a learning experience with a new medium. I like what it will eventually look like and I like the challenges associated with learning to work with such thick cardstock. This is not a "shake-the-box" kit by any means. I am in no rush, as it is currently just to keep me busy as I let paint and glue dry on my main scenery project.
Johnny -
Nothing to report from the train room. Can't wait to get some time down there again.
Time to ditch that darn day job!;)
Terry - Whoa! What a video, looked just like an accordion. Good to know there were no injuries.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning all, 60 and mostly sunny, heading for 83 today.

I am training in a young person so feel more tired out than usual.

Not working on any projects last couple days

Terry, I like the comment on the secret of a long life. Clever! ;)

Patrick, I hope you do not overwork

Willie, I am really interested in the Masonic lodge project.

Louis, glad you are with it

is Chet on vacation or something?

Last powerline photo, usually I am pointing out the sawmill but this is one of my most frequently snagged wires. It had a lot of give so I didn't wreck anything

_MG_5565.jpg

Everyone have a great day

Dave

Howdy ...

Lois ... I think Sherrel was only telling a joke, and all you needed to do is laugh at it.

Willie... Yes , the rain has been here . Weather guessers expect it to pass by soon. ... Your progress with the building looks good.

Terry ... I saw a video of the CSX derailment, and it included the beginning with some locomotive wheels off the rails and stirring up a lot of dust.

Dave ... Your sawmill looks great.

In the train room, I am still operating trains . I’m thinking ahead for next projects. I need to continue working on scenery near the coal mine, and I might add more structures to it.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Had a surprise visit to the dentist this morning. I have had a badly cracked tooth for a long time that has been getting progressively worse. Last night it was really bad. It ends up I actually have 2 teeth that need removed and are considered complicated (of course), so I see the Oral Surgeon on Tuesday. The dentist prescribed drugs to help me. I'm expecting it to cost about $1000 before I'm doneo_O.

Willie- The lodge looks really nice with the paint.

Dave- Nice layout scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good morning y'all. Happy Friday! 70° and sunny

Today is the day that all the B.E.N.N.Ys invade the Shore for the summer. That means even more congestion on local roaads, and seasonal higher grocery and gasoline prices. This to will pass, (after labor Day).:rolleyes:

B.E.N.N.Y is a term that derived from Jersey Central railroad baggage checks, which were pre-printed, showing the destination station, and a possible five originating stations which were checked off by the baggage agent. B.E.N.N.Y stands for Bayone, Elizabeth, Newark and New York. The name became associated with all the vacationers that "summer" at the Jersey Shore.

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend!

boris
In South Jersey, we always called them “shoobies”, because back in the day, they would pack their lunch in a shoe box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back