Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea how it would be for painting. I can say you could run a busy tire shop with that

It works great for airbrush or gun painting, also with impact guns and air wrenches. A pressure regulator is required to make them all play nicely.

I had a small compressor before, but the airbrush and a brad nailer was about all it could handle. I like my big boy toys (tools).

Afternoon All,

Started out with a walk at 58F and getting to 82F later. Weather guessers here are predicting 90's next week and one day is 95F. :oops: Our average high this time of year is 80F. If it keeps up summer is going to be brutal. I spent the morning doing inside chores. After lunch I prepped the extension wires for the 4 signals I just ordered (already shipped). Tomorrow I'm going up to Jon's to pick up the completed NX 23 and do some BS'ing.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.
Troy- Good luck with your plumbing issues. Hopefully it's minor.

Chad- Interesting paint scheme. When we lived in Hawaii my daughter was young and was a fan of Hello Kitty.

Jaz- Nice scenes but I'm not familiar with the show.

Sherrel- Interesting photo.

Tony- What kind of parrot do you have? We have several, 2 B&G Macaws, a cockatiel (daughters) and a Timneh (rescue). The timneh bonded with me and the macaws are MOH's and son's but I'm really not a bird person. They make a huge mess, very loud and are destructive. Skunks will eat birds, so we set up a pet fence with a gate for access. Skunks will also eat the dropped food which causes them to gain weight which is bad. Of course, my son and I get to clean up after all the animals. We had the parrots first.🦨🦜

Patrick- We tend to subsidize our kids from time to time also.

Todd- It looks like you have a nice piece of land.

Willie- Nice scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Thanks Curt. There is another about 2 acres not shown. City property on the North and East; Flower Creek is just inside our property on the West; Land owners on the South; which are our borders. Just over 3 acres. Being in the County is perfect for us. We looked for a place with no covenants, with water and mineral rights and pretty much stumbled on this one. It does have a couple of easements from entities long gone; Logging and an actual ditch for City Water. We just have not cared about getting them removed. Years ago the City built a dam up Flower Creek way above us and that ditch went away.

Later

Good evening. 55°, down from this afternoon's 64°. As the evening passes, it's getting more cloudy, with showers predicted for tomorrow.

I sprayed dullcote on four freight cars today, as a prelude to weathering them. 60° today was a lot milder than 60° in February, when it still felt cold.
We were blessed with a milder than usual winter, which held down fuel bills.

Tomorrow, I begin Cardiac Rehab. Have all my paperwork ready. Rx calls for up to 36 sessions.

Been busy with taxes, exercise and the layout. Catch y'all later.

Dang it. Just used my last piece of spline. Gotta order another 200 linear feet of it tomorrow.

On the other hand, there is a place called Braglio Farms opening tomorrow 5 minutes from the house. They have ribs, brisket, pit beef, pit ham and pit bird along with all the fixins. They open at 6 a.m. with breakfast!! Gonna get me 2 eggs over easy on a Kaiser roll with cheese and scrapple on the way to work tomorrow! They even have gas pumps out front, so you can get gas many different ways!! I can't wait!!

Tom: As you probably know, the first question would be - how much are you gonna use it for bigger stuff? The bigger nail gun(s) take a bigger reservoir so that you can continue nailing. What if you have 2 people nailing? You want high enough horsepower to fill the thing pretty fast as you don't want it running all of the time which helps with the wear-n-tear. If you are going to spray paint ( not models ), you need to take that into consideration. Both the nailing and painting pretty much require something with wheels so the frame needs to be pretty sturdy. To me, the best bet would to get the biggest and most powerful you can that keeps your budget happy. Of course, it seems the more you go up in power, the louder they get. Doing models should not be an issue, as you probably already have all the reducers ( pressure and physical connections ) needed to deal with that. In my case, I found a 30 gallon 120V thing on the cheap ( craigslist was my friend ) which works for one person nailing 16p nails, 2 with staples or brads. Don't remember the HP just now. Also have a 'self-contained' airless paint sprayer so no compressor is needed for that.

As to Harbor Freight - used to be that they had crap. Now days, everybody has crap unless you spend top $$$. Heck, I buy Harbor Freight now as most of the time if something goes wrong, I take it back and get another; age depending. Most of the hand tools are up to snuff also. Not Snap On, but close.

Later
If it’s used for nailing the daughter will be using it. I’m past that. The 6 gallon air tank worked well until today. It was purchased for a remodeling project and the money I spent was recovered in that 1st project. I want the 6 gallon tank only in case of needing to use the nailers.

As for sound I had the compressor 25’ away from the paint booth. Loud only once every 3-4 hours if I am using the spray booth a lot. I generally turn it on when I enter the train room. 2 minutes to fill and good usually all day

They all look the same and have close specs.

I remembered my old Badger compressor to finish off the day and for tomorrow morning weathering sessions. It’s a Continous run and is annoying only because it doesn’t shut off. The limitation for this compressor is I cannot adjust the PSI. I do have a pressure gauge I hooked up to lower the 35-38psi to the 20-25 I spray at for most things.

thanks

I have a Harbor Freight compressor that is about 10 yrs old. It only has a 3 gal tank so big nail guns probably won;t work. I have used it for air brush, a brad/stapler gun and a 1/4" drive impact ratchet., and filling tires. Not expensive and does what I need to do.
I found a Bostic at the hated Menards with 11% off rebate. Not sure that it will handle the nailers.

A17D0C61-CDE5-4707-B0CB-E651DE6518ED.png

Morning all,

52° when I got up this morning and currently 45°. Supposed to get a bit cooler before the temps bounce back to 55° later. Remaining cloudy all day. After 79°, yesterday, we're not expecting anything above 55° for the next week or so. Possibility of rain through the weekend, but expecting less than 1/4" in total. Need a good 3-6" and some consistency to clear up our issues. February was the 33 wettest on 129 years of record. Couldn't tell it by the dried up ponds.

Tom: Not much help on the compressor issue. Mine is a 26 gallon Husky I bought at Home Depot years ago. It leaks through the fittings, but I really only use it for filling tires and blowing out the sprinkler system. Paid $275 and at $70 per year to winterize the system, (at the time of purchase), it paid for itself at year 4. Still working fine. Reminds me, I got an impact gun with it that I've never used. I did try to use it once, but it didn't work. Not sure why... I think it needs something added.

Haven’t purchased yet. Rebates are made to be forgotten
For $115 + travel you can't go wrong. If ya don't like it you can always use it for model stuff and small fills. You won't be able to do any extended nailing 16p's without waiting for a bit every once-in-awhile as it probably won't keep up. Oh, in case you don't know, you can 'turn down' those nail guns. Makes the actual throw slower to punch a nail which works on 2x? Fir, Pine, Hemlock ... etc. I try to set them where the nail is embedded about 1/16th. I found out the hard way ... was setting up to nail molding with 1 1/2" brads and turned the air pressure the wrong way. Staple went clear through the molding on a test punch and attached my shoe to the floor. Missed the important stuff though.

I did not look deep into the spec's. Try and get Brass fittings as it seems now days they are selling 'aircraft aluminum' thingies. Ya the paint sure looks pretty, but screw them together once and guess what? That paint gets scratched and starts to flake. Aluminum gets ( sometimes a pretty thick ) patina on it which allows small air gaps - now you have the chance for leaks that white plumbers tape won't fix. Also, go for real rubber hoses, no plastic!

Later

Morning all,
52° when I got up this morning and currently 45°. Supposed to get a bit cooler before the temps bounce back to 55° later. Remaining cloudy all day. After 79°, yesterday, we're not expecting anything above 55° for the next week or so. Possibility of rain through the weekend, but expecting less than 1/4" in total. Need a good 3-6" and some consistency to clear up our issues. February was the 33 wettest on 129 years of record. Couldn't tell it by the dried up ponds.

Tom: Not much help on the compressor issue. Mine is a 26 gallon Husky I bought at Home Depot years ago. It leaks through the fittings, but I really only use it for filling tires and blowing out the sprinkler system. Paid $275 and at $70 per year to winterize the system, (at the time of purchase), it paid for itself at year 4. Still working fine. Reminds me, I got an impact gun with it that I've never used. I did try to use it once, but it didn't work. Not sure why... I think it needs something added.

Patrick: You should not have to do anything with the impact tool. Plug it in and pull the trigger. Which reminds me: Back in the day, Dad had a 1000Gal 240V thing for his shop. The actual compressor was almost bigger than my riding mower. Think V-Twin but with 4 pistons. This was way before electrical tools, and battery powered was someones dream. That thing would keep up with 3 mechanics running impact tools, filling tires and whatever else they needed to do. The lights would dim when started, and it was pretty quiet.

Later

Good morning from a surprise to me, a white covered landscape. Snow was to arrive tonight between 7 and 10PM tonight, yet we have a good inch on the grass. The sidewalks and street are just wet and most likely icy. Looking at the forecast the snow, 2-6” is still coming tonight.

This evening we see the musical Chicago. Tickets were purchased as part of the season ticket package and since we are home a couple days early we are going. There was a back up plan to give the tickets away but now I am looking forward to this one.

Thanks for the suggestions regarding a new compressor. I am mulling it over. Meanwhile I will use the Badger air brush compressor I received as a gift in 1975 from my then finance. While not as versatile as Porter Cable it is working.

Another great day at the weathering bench. Yesterday I went straight through from 9:30AM to 1 PM. Sometimes I get in a zone which for me actually was not a good thing. Usually my Blood Glucose drops to low levels and I set timers for 2 hours to remind me to move around and get a snack. That didn’t happen yesterday. I was told when I take the Ozempic weekly shot and drop the other diabetic meds, the BG numbers should stabilize. It‘s nice not to fight the lows created by using gliperzide. I guess I am medically stable…

Today, I need to take the wheels and trucks off the 13 new arrivals received yesterday from both clients and packages for me. Then wash the cars , let dry and clear coat. I have a couple more cars for myself due today from HomeShopsLLC coming. My package from Lombard Hobby also is due today with a bunch of Centerbeams. The price was excellent for Atlas and I am thinking the Rapido ones I ordered now due in the 4th quarter won’t make it. I will work on these during the slow Summer time. A large package from a client was due this past Tuesday but is “lost” in the system. It left California last week Tuesday. Was in Minneapolis last Thursday. The client says tracking is telling him it’s in Portland, Maine. He called me last night in a panic as he didn’t bother to insure the package. He has 3 Scaletrain locomotives and 5 various freight cars from Rapido in the package and no insurance. I’d be in a panic too. If his package arrives that will keep me busy through the last week in April when we head to Vegas for 7 days with 4 days of golf.

Terry found a 5 yep 5 bedroom condo on the strip for 1/3rd the price of one of the strip hotel suites. A friend of a friend type of deal. She’s happy as neither of us are fond of Vegas hotels for longer then 2 nights. I got a feeling though we may have some visitors.
enjoy the day

For $115 + travel you can't go wrong. If ya don't like it you can always use it for model stuff and small fills. You won't be able to do any extended nailing 16p's without waiting for a bit every once-in-awhile as it probably won't keep up. Oh, in case you don't know, you can 'turn down' those nail guns. Makes the actual throw slower to punch a nail which works on 2x? Fir, Pine, Hemlock ... etc. I try to set them where the nail is embedded about 1/16th. I found out the hard way ... was setting up to nail molding with 1 1/2" brads and turned the air pressure the wrong way. Staple went clear through the molding on a test punch and attached my shoe to the floor. Missed the important stuff though.

I did not look deep into the spec's. Try and get Brass fittings as it seems now days they are selling 'aircraft aluminum' thingies. Ya the paint sure looks pretty, but screw them together once and guess what? That paint gets scratched and starts to flake. Aluminum gets ( sometimes a pretty thick ) patina on it which allows small air gaps - now you have the chance for leaks that white plumbers tape won't fix. Also, go for real rubber hoses, no plastic!

Later
Thanks Todd. I have all the brass fittings from the Porter Cable unit that I will transfer over. I won’t be driving any big nails anymore and I think this will be enough compressor. Its main purpose though will be for my weathering and painting of structures and models. Some minor pinning for custom structures but that’s about it. But, if needed for some lager nails that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back