Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to thank Jaz avalley. Truckdad, Christan, Chadbag, TLOC, Pink Floyd, Sifoldalot, Big G Racing, Troyphoto, Smudge17, Kbkehooch, Bruette, Texas Hobo, CambriaArea51, Boris SantaFe Willie Roofintrash and Curt for their comments on my new bathroom project.

I wanted to buy a bathroom cabinet for my project and found almost all were made of particle board. I wanted one made of real wood, so I had to build one myself. Kind of hard to do without a table saw but I got it done. It was my first time using concealed hinges.
Swal
Bathroom_cabinet_doors.jpg
Bathroom_cabinet.jpg

I want to thank Jaz avalley. Truckdad, Christan, Chadbag, TLOC, Pink Floyd, Sifoldalot, Big G Racing, Troyphoto, Smudge17, Kbkehooch, Bruette, Texas Hobo, CambriaArea51, Boris SantaFe Willie Roofintrash and Curt for their comments on my new bathroom project.

I wanted to buy a bathroom cabinet for my project and found almost all were made of particle board. I wanted one made of real wood, so I had to build one myself. Kind of hard to do without a table saw but I got it done. It was my first time using concealed hinges.
Swal
View attachment 163231View attachment 163232
Looks great George!

Good morning: 25°, and sunny. Going to 46° with a Northeast Breeze. Going to be chilly walking the Boardwalk.

George: Great job! The cabinet looks good.

Troy: Nice cave. Watch out for AI authors....(Lots of commentary in the Times and WAPO of late).

RS3 - early Conrail - Bill Strassner.jpg

Bill Strassner photo, taken at Elizabethport Yard during the early days of Conrail. Note, that the ex CNJ "passenger"RS-3 is painted in the B&O scheme.

Morning all,

Happy March 1st, and a reminder that time March(es) on.

Tried to get on last night and was for a short time, but as usual got sidetracked from saying hi except in response to a couple of friends here.

Got up this morning before the alarm went off and tried not to wake the wife. As I cleared the end of the bed, I heard "Rabbit, rabbit" from her side of the bed. I laughed and turned on the lights. Alarm set for 5:00a but we're almost always awake long before that, and the deal is we try not to get up before 4:30. I find we still wake up about 3:30a.

Supposed to be in the upper 50's later and colder tomorrow and Friday. We actually had the shortest Tornado Warning I've ever seen on Sunday night. Blew the Weather radio at 10:15p for a warning called for until 10:30p. Storm line was narrow and rapidly moving. Heavy wind and rain was all we got. Had the local kids, grandkids and 5 dogs at our house overnight as we have a basement. They were there a few hours before, so no last minute rush.

Work has been busy, but starting to slow down as the emergency stuff has kind of subsided and now getting on to the projects that are now 2 months behind. Fortunately not messed up terribly by the timeline.

George: Beautiful cabinet. Especially without a table saw. I have one that I don't use often, but very handy when I do need one. I also have a battery pin nailer that makes short work of that kind of stuff as well. Loaned it to my daughter when they were building their house. Very handy tool to have. (reminds me I need to get it back).

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and a warm 63° for starters. High today only 73° though after a cold front blows in around 10ish this morning. Severe thunderstorm warning for tomorrow but warmer after some weather systems collide over us. Mixed bag for the following ten days. It's raining about a mile down the road from me, but not here, it's still not in the forecast for either place.

The appointment with the dental hygienist yesterday went OK, she is 8 1/2 months pregnant so a different part of her anatomy was brushing my arm and the side of my face this time. Afterwards, I did some more tree pruning, a little late this year, but the sap isn't flowing yet. I'll continue that this afternoon. This morning I return the home sleep test kit.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I ran trains some, since it has been a couple of days. I continued painting some figures and added two to the front porch of the trailer to keep the dog and cat company.
IMG_3109.JPG

IMG_3111.JPG

I also put another Logan Valley structure on the workbench, Snell Chevrolet. This one did not survive the trip as well as the others. Nothing that a bit of glue couldn't fix. First was making sure all of the walls were fastened back together.
IMG_3112.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG

Fixed up the peeling signs and added the base back.
IMG_3114.JPG

Glued up the inner walls.
IMG_3115.JPG

And added them and the roof back in.
IMG_3116.JPG

Looks like I didn't align the structure back exactly where it was to begin with.
IMG_3117.JPG

That will be painted today.
On Chet's layout there were several new (1957) cars inside (and outside) along with the people who can barely be seen in some of these pictures. It will be mainly a used car dealer on my layout since my time frame is more broad. But first, I will have to pry the tight-fitting roof back off which I have to do anyway when I add lights back in.

Tom O - I am not really having any sleep issues but the test is just to rule out apnea as a cause for the intermittent respiratory issues. I don't see a connection, but I am not a doctor. All of the other testing that the pulmonologist has done has not unearthed anything. I'm giving him benefit of the doubt with only one additional visit before I part company.
Like you, I pay for the cheapest Internet plan with a full fiber optic connection. My speed test shows 90 mbps both upload and download, but it is more than sufficient for our needs. My wife doesn't stream very often; I don't watch the TV. We can operate the desktop, laptop, tablet, Alexa and phones concurrently with no issues.
Shortwrench -
Shortwrench said "They totally fall apart when the bill is $16.55 and you give them a 20 dollar bill and nickel".
I don't even try that any more - too complex for most cashiers unless they look older than me. I usually have to tell them how much to hand back. Two dollar bills and half dollar coins are another thing that trips up many younger cashiers.
Joe - Those "junk surcharges" may have contributed to the inventory surplus at our local Ford dealership as well. I never went in to look.
Swal - Great looking cabinet. I'm with you on not wanting to use anything but real wood, especially in the humidity of a bathroom.

I can still see the rain down the street, still not up here or in the forecast yet.
Everybody have a great day.

Well yesterday wife and I went to the bone doc so he could check out he knees. After 40 years of concrete floors she is bone on bone. Needless to say she has lots of pain. The doc was great treated her like a human being so on and so forth. So she is getting new knees! Any way its March!
Mike

Swal
Nice, simple and looks damn good

Swal
So when can we put our orders in ?;)

Troy: Nice cave. Watch out for AI authors....(Lots of commentary in the Times and WAPO of late).
Yep. A HUGE point of discussion in the indie-author groups.

A few are going full steam into embracing AI to do their writing for them.

A bunch of us (most of us) are trying to figure out how to use the tech to enhance what we do without pirating other authors/artists.

the Image generation AI apps like Midjourney were fed pirated images from the web. Usually, stock photo/illustrations that we can purchase the rights to use. But the AI builders didn't pay to use them. They just scraped the data and fed the AIs... or if they did get a package deal, they didn't tell the artist it was to train an AI - something that is outside the scope of the license we can purchase.

I just went and downloaded an image for a new book cover. And I'm not sure if any of that artist's images are AI-generated. That sucks, because I might have downloaded an image produced by training an AI to build images from stolen works.

Good March to you all. 37f degrees now and heading to high 50’s and hopefully more snow melt. This will be a traveling month for both Terry and I. Starts with Arizona for a few days next week and then the Islands. For the 1st time in years I am happily anticipating being on Maui. The brother arrived yesterday but stayed in Madison overnight. He is a board member of a company he sold last year to a business here based in Madison. They had a dinner last night and today a board meeting. I am going to try very hard with him not to bring up board meetings and the stupid amounts of money these companies pay these figureheads. He is now on 3 boards and he likes it.

Trains yesterday. Worked on a couple of Intermountain Covered Hoppers. As usual very disappointed with the way they rolled out of the box. Tuned the trucks, added a spacer, came back and added another, then changed out the couplers and all is good. These will get lightly weathered. I have officially also started my 1st diesel locomotive weathering project. Both are in the Continous weathering threads

Trains today. Terry wants to drive into Milwaukee and IF we do that I will stop at Hiawatha Hobbies. I don’t really need anything so I will be reviewing the ”wish” list I carry on the phone for emergencies like this. There are a couple other places that a couple of guys have told me I need to visit. The late Greg@Mnrr who I truly miss here always wanted me to stop at Summerfeld Hobbies near the UP Bultler yards. Today maybe the day.

We are set for the visitors. The brother will stay tonight here, the sister arrives tomorrow and the son and newest g/f arrive Friday. The son though will be staying at his sister’s place.

enjoy the day

George: Beautiful cabinet. Especially without a table saw. I have one that I don't use often, but very handy when I do need one. I also have a battery pin nailer that makes short work of that kind of stuff as well. Loaned it to my daughter when they were building their house. Very handy tool to have. (reminds me I need to get it back).
I use to have a table saw Patrick but it took up took much of my train room space, so I gave it away. Cutting the 10 inch doors with a 6 inch chop saw is a risky business. I would have rather bought one. N&S plumbing supply had a mostly wood one with a particle board back but told me it would take 6 weeks to get. The concealed hinges were not as easy to install as I thought but when installed can be adjusted 4 different ways.
Swal

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and a warm 63° for starters. High today only 73° though after a cold front blows in around 10ish this morning. Severe thunderstorm warning for tomorrow but warmer after some weather systems collide over us. Mixed bag for the following ten days. It's raining about a mile down the road from me, but not here, it's still not in the forecast for either place.

The appointment with the dental hygienist yesterday went OK, she is 8 1/2 months pregnant so a different part of her anatomy was brushing my arm and the side of my face this time. Afterwards, I did some more tree pruning, a little late this year, but the sap isn't flowing yet. I'll continue that this afternoon. This morning I return the home sleep test kit.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I ran trains some, since it has been a couple of days. I continued painting some figures and added two to the front porch of the trailer to keep the dog and cat company.
View attachment 163235
View attachment 163236
I also put another Logan Valley structure on the workbench, Snell Chevrolet. This one did not survive the trip as well as the others. Nothing that a bit of glue couldn't fix. First was making sure all of the walls were fastened back together.
View attachment 163237
View attachment 163238
Fixed up the peeling signs and added the base back.
View attachment 163239
Glued up the inner walls.
View attachment 163240
And added them and the roof back in.
View attachment 163241
Looks like I didn't align the structure back exactly where it was to begin with.
View attachment 163242
That will be painted today.
On Chet's layout there were several new (1957) cars inside (and outside) along with the people who can barely be seen in some of these pictures. It will be mainly a used car dealer on my layout since my time frame is more broad. But first, I will have to pry the tight-fitting roof back off which I have to do anyway when I add lights back in.

Tom O - I am not really having any sleep issues but the test is just to rule out apnea as a cause for the intermittent respiratory issues. I don't see a connection, but I am not a doctor. All of the other testing that the pulmonologist has done has not unearthed anything. I'm giving him benefit of the doubt with only one additional visit before I part company.
Like you, I pay for the cheapest Internet plan with a full fiber optic connection. My speed test shows 90 mbps both upload and download, but it is more than sufficient for our needs. My wife doesn't stream very often; I don't watch the TV. We can operate the desktop, laptop, tablet, Alexa and phones concurrently with no issues.
Shortwrench -

I don't even try that any more - too complex for most cashiers unless they look older than me. I usually have to tell them how much to hand back. Two dollar bills and half dollar coins are another thing that trips up many younger cashiers.
Joe - Those "junk surcharges" may have contributed to the inventory surplus at our local Ford dealership as well. I never went in to look.
Swal - Great looking cabinet. I'm with you on not wanting to use anything but real wood, especially in the humidity of a bathroom.

I can still see the rain down the street, still not up here or in the forecast yet.
Everybody have a great day.
So Willie where did you get the checkered floor?
Swal

Swal

beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back