Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 67°, kinda warm for this time of day in March. Upper 70's today after 81° yesterday. Still not expecting to see the sun until mid-afternoon tomorrow after potential rain in the morning. Overnight lows in the mid-40's starting Saturday morning; not from any cold front but just because it will be clear overnight.

Yesterday was gardening day here on the estate. Carted and spread two yards of compost and an additional yard of shredded leaves over part of the garden, and then tilled it all in. Both items loosen and fertilize my heavy clay soil. This afternoon I have Broccoli plants to set in place, and I will plant green bean, Yellow Squash and Zucchini seeds. I'm holding most of the tomato and pepper plants for next week, as overnight conditions may produce frosts but not freezes. Sunday and Monday will be suspect. A frost here can occur on clear still nights with temperatures as high as 42°. Broccoli, onions, lettuce, spinach, radishes and peas are not affected. If I plant any tomatoes or peppers, I will have to cover/uncover them for a few days which is a hassle and probably won't make any difference in when I get the first produce.So far my only setback is a dog, whether the granddog or a wandering stray, did some digging around Saturday night or Sunday morning and disrupted some stuff. The onions were easily replanted but will eventually produce smaller bulbs from the setback.
Today starts with the weekly grocery/beer trek into the big city. On the list is the Vitamin Shop and stopping by the lawn tractor place to pick up my owners manual that the delivery driver left behind. Wife will probably need a stop at the Wine Store unless there is the 25% discount at Kroger for 6 or more bottles.
Around the neighborhood, my 42 year long neighbor immediately north, a retired police officer, is adding another double-wide trailer to his property next to the one added last summer for his step-daughter. This one is for his step-son and new bride. The kid id 43 years old and has been living in Jim's house since the late 80's. So rural sprawl continues but with the addition of only one additional individual.

Not a lot of activity out in the train shed yesterday due to the gardening activities. I got a little ground cover spread between the market and the cafe. The glue wasn't dry when I came in, so no picture yet. It just looked like a glistening white blob!
I did take a few others, like two other vehicles with drivers added to the scene.
IMG_3247.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

And one of the trees that I planted earlier that were forgotten.
IMG_3249.JPG

They provide a scenic divide between the town and refinery.

Troy - Too bad the home fix didn't work, good luck with the plumber.
Patrick - Yep! Most fruit (and nut) trees need a different pollinator tree, preferably one of a different variety that blooms concurrently. Otherwise they're just shade trees.
Joe - Wishing you the best results on the cardiac rehab.
Tom O - Five bedroom condo, that's lots of room for guests! Terry must have plans that she hasn't divulged yet.

Today is going to be a day of reckoning with RMD's with retirement accounts. I am only required to take one from one of my five accounts this year. First step today is review the new rules. The Roth accounts and money market accounts (outside the IRA's) are exempt, so they won't come into play. No matter what I have to do, it will require paying income taxes for 2023, something I haven't had to do since 2018.

Everybody have a great day.

Morning from wet and wild California where it is 46 degrees and headed all the way to 57 under mostly cloudy with possible showers.
My goodness, FLO, I see that KARL has deserted us for some high-floutin new fangled joint down the road? OK, I will join TROY while he try to unclog a tub drain. Please MEL to whip up a stack of pancakes with a side of sausage and a coke to drink.

Multitude of problems this morning: Cannot stop my nose from draining/dripping; it is like a creek - forget the hanky - give me a towel!

Charlie, my little Bichon/Poodle live wire, has not eaten anything at all yesterday and turned down his normal morning treat. He is still laying in bed, not "bouncing" all over as normal!
If I cannot get him to eat something this morning, I will try and get him into the vet.

I did manage to set a HD orange bucket on the patio about 10 feet from anything ... yesterday morning it had 5 inches of water in it. At one point I could not see the house across the street .. it was like a wall of water - and wind and noise to go with it. Officially the amount is over 21 inches, but I suspect that right here "we" have had much more.

The Spousal Unit embarked on the Women's Club cruise yesterday from Ft Lauderdale. I told her that it was Spring Break time and that if she did not want to be molested that she should stay away from wearing her bikini to the beach!

Gotta find a dry towel .....BBL

Good morning all,

upper 30s and a light mist. Supposed to maybe get some heavier stuff latter with a rumble of thunder possible. As Mike said, at least it's not snow!

Tom-cant rally give any more info on compressors. I have a Harbor Freight model I bought 17 years ago, and still works well. I bought it when we roofed our house along with their roofing nailer. I was able to buy the nailer and compressor for what the rental place wanted for 2 weeks of rental. Its a 2HP 6 gallon, I think I paid around $100 for it. It airs up bike, mower tires and the kids pool floaties.

Have a good safe day everyone!

Afternoon All,

Started out at 62F and currently 83F. Heading to the 90's the next couple of days. :( I headed up to Jon's to pick up my NX23 after being painted and decaled. Jon did all the decaling he could, some of it was so small it couldn't be read. The finished kit is definitely not to rivet counter standards, but I'm very happy with it. Tomorrow, I need to weed and feed the yard first thing in the morning then help MOH deliver (called chauffeuring by any other name) yearly "best of" plaques to several businesses from a contest on a community website that MOH moderates.

Sherrel- I'm very sorry to hear about Charlie.

Mike- Good luck with the surgery.

Willie- Nice job with the scene details.

20230323_132007.jpg

20230323_132019.jpg

20230323_132030.jpg

20230323_132041.jpg

20230323_132053.jpg

20230323_132126.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Sherrel, how is Charlie?
LOUIS< Thanks for asking! I'm just not sure what is going on. He has slept most of the day - still won't eat (tried several things - next will be a spoonful of ice cream)
I was able to squirt a little water into his mouth ... afraid that he will become dehydrated.
I'm going to try some more in a jif. With two other pups - I cannot tell if he is drinking anything?
Surly he cannot be throwing a tantrum over the wife leaving?

CURT - Nice looking build. You need to spread a bit of rust on those couplers?
I am about ready to kill for some 80 degree days - very tired of being cold and anything now below 60, make that 70, is now cold!

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 67°, kinda warm for this time of day in March. Upper 70's today after 81° yesterday. Still not expecting to see the sun until mid-afternoon tomorrow after potential rain in the morning. Overnight lows in the mid-40's starting Saturday morning; not from any cold front but just because it will be clear overnight.

Yesterday was gardening day here on the estate. Carted and spread two yards of compost and an additional yard of shredded leaves over part of the garden, and then tilled it all in. Both items loosen and fertilize my heavy clay soil. This afternoon I have Broccoli plants to set in place, and I will plant green bean, Yellow Squash and Zucchini seeds. I'm holding most of the tomato and pepper plants for next week, as overnight conditions may produce frosts but not freezes. Sunday and Monday will be suspect. A frost here can occur on clear still nights with temperatures as high as 42°. Broccoli, onions, lettuce, spinach, radishes and peas are not affected. If I plant any tomatoes or peppers, I will have to cover/uncover them for a few days which is a hassle and probably won't make any difference in when I get the first produce.So far my only setback is a dog, whether the granddog or a wandering stray, did some digging around Saturday night or Sunday morning and disrupted some stuff. The onions were easily replanted but will eventually produce smaller bulbs from the setback.
Today starts with the weekly grocery/beer trek into the big city. On the list is the Vitamin Shop and stopping by the lawn tractor place to pick up my owners manual that the delivery driver left behind. Wife will probably need a stop at the Wine Store unless there is the 25% discount at Kroger for 6 or more bottles.
Around the neighborhood, my 42 year long neighbor immediately north, a retired police officer, is adding another double-wide trailer to his property next to the one added last summer for his step-daughter. This one is for his step-son and new bride. The kid id 43 years old and has been living in Jim's house since the late 80's. So rural sprawl continues but with the addition of only one additional individual.

Not a lot of activity out in the train shed yesterday due to the gardening activities. I got a little ground cover spread between the market and the cafe. The glue wasn't dry when I came in, so no picture yet. It just looked like a glistening white blob!
I did take a few others, like two other vehicles with drivers added to the scene.
View attachment 165047
View attachment 165048
And one of the trees that I planted earlier that were forgotten.
View attachment 165049
They provide a scenic divide between the town and refinery.

Troy - Too bad the home fix didn't work, good luck with the plumber.
Patrick - Yep! Most fruit (and nut) trees need a different pollinator tree, preferably one of a different variety that blooms concurrently. Otherwise they're just shade trees.
Joe - Wishing you the best results on the cardiac rehab.
Tom O - Five bedroom condo, that's lots of room for guests! Terry must have plans that she hasn't divulged yet.

Today is going to be a day of reckoning with RMD's with retirement accounts. I am only required to take one from one of my five accounts this year. First step today is review the new rules. The Roth accounts and money market accounts (outside the IRA's) are exempt, so they won't come into play. No matter what I have to do, it will require paying income taxes for 2023, something I haven't had to do since 2018.

Everybody have a great day.
Not really Willie. They just have that many BR’s for less than we’d spend at a strip hotel. Friend of a friend deal. My brother stopped gambling in Vegas when it re-opened after Covid. Terry quit just before Covid. No more free rooms for either of them

Evening all. A pretty nice day here in Houston. Got a little warm, 82 here. Sun was out most of the day.
The plumbers showed up yesterday to install the new toilets. One got installed. When they opened the box with the second tank it was broken. Hate when that happens. A replacement has been ordered, so we wait 7 to 10 business days.
Meanwhile I ran some trains today. A little switching. I was looking through some of the photos in the archive. From Jan. of 2020 to Jan. of 2023
1679609935616.png

1679609990347.png

And even as I look at the last photo I realize many changes have occurred.

STAY SAFE
LATER

MIKE - Please excuse my feeble mind - What are you having done?
My wife is getting her knees replace. First the right then in 3 months the left. She is bone on bone in both. Needless to say she has a lot of pain, thank GOD.we have good doctors. The head doc is named Dr Bohnenkamp. I like the name. It is robotic surgery done at the hospital she worked ay for years.
Mike

Wishing you the best results on the cardiac rehab.
Willie: Thank you. First session was mostly paperwork and evaluation.Did some work (20" total), on three machines. Now stiff in three places, but according to the monitors, the ticker is working as intended. Next week I start going M-W-F, @ 1000 for 50" per day. It will help.

Curt: The cabin car looks great. Will look good behind your H-10.

Current temperature is 59° and it's cloudy. Off and on rain fall yielded 0.07". Forecast calls for Thunderstorms after midnight, as well as a 60% probability of showers tomorrow. This will make walking difficult. :rolleyes:

Did some switching, and a little scenery work this afternoon. More effort tomorrow.

LOUIS< Thanks for asking! I'm just not sure what is going on. He has slept most of the day - still won't eat (tried several things - next will be a spoonful of ice cream)
I was able to squirt a little water into his mouth ... afraid that he will become dehydrated.
I'm going to try some more in a jif. With two other pups - I cannot tell if he is drinking anything?
Surly he cannot be throwing a tantrum over the wife leaving?

CURT - Nice looking build. You need to spread a bit of rust on those couplers?
I am about ready to kill for some 80 degree days - very tired of being cold and anything now below 60, make that 70, is now cold!
Try a raw egg, or a scrambled egg, try raw meat,ground mince beef try a little milk in the egg, all small not expensive, could he had eaten anything that is stuck in his stomach,god forbid

JazAV , Don't know why I had not already done that; now and then I fix each of them an egg "up". He awakened a few min ago and currently lying on the hassock in front of the window where he gets to yell at all the other dogs being walked, so he seems to be a little more lively.

Going downstairs now to muster up their dinner and I will fix him a scrambled, thank you. :)

Latest on MRL from BNSF meeting with MRL staff.

The Montana Rail Link Railfan Society

psodtnSroeu4mcg09f497af8978h530i5a9h7tgumu16l8ithmm5a872530m ·

A quick update to the post from March 8.
Katie Farmer (BNSF President/CEO) visited MRL last week to do a couple town hall meetings in Missoula and Laurel with MRL personnel.
While much was discussed, the main takeaway for the railfans is that she confirmed the January 1, 2024 official takeover date.
BNSF will start to have people involved in the transition process beginning in April, but MRL will remain as its own entity till the end of the year.

Tony- What kind of parrot do you have? We have several, 2 B&G Macaws, a cockatiel (daughters) and a Timneh (rescue). The timneh bonded with me and the macaws are MOH's and son's but I'm really not a bird person. They make a huge mess, very loud and are destructive. Skunks will eat birds, so we set up a pet fence with a gate for access. Skunks will also eat the dropped food which causes them to gain weight which is bad. Of course, my son and I get to clean up after all the animals. We had the parrots first.🦨🦜
We have a "Blue Headed Pionus" that I bought for my wife; however, he bonded with me and pretty much follows me around. Seems as though he has to be where ever I am and will climb of his cage and walk into my Train Room looking for me :)

uQS4zAJ.jpg

He doubles as my "Track Inspector" :)

Good Morning All!
33F @ 80% and cloudy

Don't remember ifn I told y'all or not. Had an appointment in Sandpoint ID for a hearing test that the VSO wanted. Before the appointment I managed to get some Pix of the BNSF.

The hearing test was pretty much what I thought it would be with the exception of the Tinnitus thing. Hearing tests are usually a subset of 0Hz to 20KHz of which this Doc used 200Hz to 8KHz. What they call 'Normal' for sound pressure is 10Db to -25Db. My ...um... hearing range goes downward from 500Hz @ -30Db then continues from 2KHz to 8KHz @ -70Db. For those of you that are not electronically/acoustically inclined; 3Db down ( -3Db ) is the 1/2 power point.

Tinnitus was kinda interesting, found out that my high pitched whine is 8KHz @ +80Db.

Also continued to Spokane Valley to visit my closest LHS. Got a few items which I will post in RPO a little later.

Back to the Train Cave in a little while, Wife depending.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back