Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, everyone.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
No corned beef for me today, not a big fan of it. Did the pope give us a pass today? I know in years past they have but haven't heard.

Blustery cold day today. Its only in the 20s with a wind chill of 12 degrees.

Took the puppy to the groomer this morning, they should be calling anytime to come get her.

Have a great day all!

Top of the morning lads! Ah sure we awoke to a small cold front, temps in the upper 40's. An inch and a quarter of rain overnight. Lost power for about an hour and a half. Irish stew on the menu for this evening's repast.
I'm looking into ordering 2 new structures, both Bar Mills, Downtown Garage and Clark's Wood Products. I like the buildings, but I need to see where I might fit them.
Should get some train time in this afternoon.

Wonder if Gertrude knew Patrick?

Did the pope give us a pass today? I know in years past they have but haven't heard.
I mentioned Pope yesterday, but it is actually the local Bishops or Archbishops that can do it. Most American Bishops automatically do it on St Paddie's Day. Ours did, we're in the Ft Worth dioceses. Earlier today, Patrick posted that his Bishop did not unless you were a parishioner of a St Patrick's church.

Afternoon All,

Started out today at 58F and currently 74F. Today I spent several hours finishing up the engine servicing area and the peninsula. The peninsula was much easier to do since it's just track and rail cars. I'm not sure what's on the agenda for tomorrow, but if I stay home I'll be working on the last 1/3 of the layout.

Swal- That's a nice-looking workbench. I like the shelving you put up, and I prefer a neat work area.

TomO- I had a big post about how I feel about companies moving overseas and how it affects workers, but I decided to delete it.

Troy- Back when I was hurting my back frequently (EMS lifting) it usually took 2 weeks to fully heal, but the effected muscle is never as strong as before.

20230317_112055.jpg

20230317_112106.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Well, howdy there internet people, and those with medical degrees. :p

It's Troy again.

Stretches twice. Two walks. May take a third now that my 2k words are done for the day. Only have about 10 days to finish the book. That means 1.5 chapters per day. But, I did already top 8K steps for today.

YES, I just emailed the doc. Not sure what he's going to do besides send me for an MRI, tell me to lose weight, exercise more, and stretch more often.

Today has been good, but I had to move my TV sitting position over to the futon. It's just too painful dealing with getting out of the recliner. Which reminds me, I need a good nappin' couch for the basement/train room.

On the hobby front, I'm still painting little toy soldiers. Knights from the Crusades. Going to paint these as Knights of the Order of St. Lazarus. Already have Hospitallers.
View attachment 163696
You find yourself in a battle field? Or are these horses dressed to haul slate or ore cars?

Afternoon All,

Son and I spent 2 hours in the yard raking and bagging oak leaves. We ended up with 9- 34 gallon yard bags filled to the top. After that I decided to relax the rest of the day. Tomorrow, I have an early morning eye appointment at the VA.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a craftsman model RR magazine?

Todd- The snow looks pretty in a picture.

Hughie- Nice scene.

Mikey- What a nice compliment.

Joe- Nice beginning to the building.

Willie- Very nice modeling.

Chet- Great photos from the LVRR.

I hope everyone has a good night.
RRMC. Great articles, good scale drawings...I like it a lot. But the other big one is fine as well.

I do drink Heineken which comes in a green bottle! Does that count???
Of course it does, although Heineken is Dutch. The local Hibernians profess they like Jameson, and like to wash it down with Guinness. (Guinness is also the sponsor of the TV Broadcast of the NYC St. Patricks parade on NBC 4.) Wife picked up Corned Beef and Cabbage and potatoes for two at ShopRite. Cost near $30.00, but no left over cabbage. ;) My preference was Kilian's Red, mainly because I liked it.

Bailing out uninsured depositors means that the government is helping the very same folks that they constantly rail against, the 1%. I haven't seen this much crooked government since the 60's with LBJ.
Brandon is as much responsible as any Delaware Politician, for preferential Incorporation, higher rates on Credit cards and other favors that made Wilmington the Banking Capital of the US. For all his pandering to the lower castes, he is right up there with the big boys, when push comes to shove. Even outcast royal Harry and spouse Meghan went to Delaware to incorporate themselves.
Speaking of stocks...my mid session check revealed the short sellers are back out in force...and they don't have to cover until Tuesday.

Spending more time in the train room. Right now, I'm concentrating on the area where the Reading Freight House will go. Today was warm enough that I could go out back and prime the foam board. (Helps prevent warpage when adding scenery). Also did some running on the Reading side.
My yard is a mess.I have a guy coming out for Spring Cleaning and leaf removal. He will also be out new lawn service. Now, I need to find a fence contractor, and someone to remove an evergreen. Also have a few repairs to make.

Yellowbrook Rd - 03_14_2023 - Dominick Nazzaro.jpg

C&D crew crossing Yellowbrook Rd, in Howell NJ on 3-14-23. Dominick Nazzaro photo. Train from Lakewood to Red bank on former CNJ Southern Secondary. The engine lettered for the Black River & Western in Ringoes, NJ, another C&D subsidy. Railroading on the cheap.

Currently 64° and cloudy...although it was sunnier this morning when we did our 1.2 mile walk...supposed to rain tonight

Of course it does, although Heineken is Dutch. The local Hibernians profess they like Jameson, and like to wash it down with Guinness. (Guinness is also the sponsor of the TV Broadcast of the NYC St. Patricks parade on NBC 4.) Wife picked up Corned Beef and Cabbage and potatoes for two at ShopRite. Cost near $30.00, but no left over cabbage. ;) My preference was Kilian's Red, mainly because I liked it.

Brandon is as much responsible as any Delaware Politician, for preferential Incorporation, higher rates on Credit cards and other favors that made Wilmington the Banking Capital of the US. For all his pandering to the lower castes, he is right up there with the big boys, when push comes to shove. Even outcast royal Harry and spouse Meghan went to Delaware to incorporate themselves.
Speaking of stocks...my mid session check revealed the short sellers are back out in force...and they don't have to cover until Tuesday.

Spending more time in the train room. Right now, I'm concentrating on the area where the Reading Freight House will go. Today was warm enough that I could go out back and prime the foam board. (Helps prevent warpage when adding scenery). Also did some running on the Reading side.
My yard is a mess.I have a guy coming out for Spring Cleaning and leaf removal. He will also be out new lawn service. Now, I need to find a fence contractor, and someone to remove an evergreen. Also have a few repairs to make.

View attachment 164600
C&D crew crossing Yellowbrook Rd, in Howell NJ on 3-14-23. Dominick Nazzaro photo. Train from Lakewood to Red bank on former CNJ Southern Secondary. The engine lettered for the Black River & Western in Ringoes, NJ, another C&D subsidy. Railroading on the cheap.

Currently 64° and cloudy...although it was sunnier this morning when we did our 1.2 mile walk...supposed to rain tonight
I love these LOCAL's

With all the interest in St. Patrick, thought you may find this bio interesting.

PATRICK OF IRELAND

(17 MAR c461)​

Patrick was born about 390, in southwest Britain, somewhere between the Severn and the Clyde rivers, son of a deacon and grandson of a priest. When about sixteen years old, he was kidnapped by Irish pirates and sold into slavery in Ireland. Until this time, he had, by his own account, cared nothing for God, but now he turned to God for help. After six years, he either escaped or was freed, made his way to a port 200 miles away, and there persuaded some sailors to take him onto their ship. He returned to his family much changed, and began to prepare for the priesthood, and to study the Bible.

Irish postage stamp: St. Patrick & the paschal flame
Around 435, Patrick was commissioned, perhaps by bishops in Gaul and perhaps by the Pope, to go to Ireland as a bishop and missionary. Four years earlier another bishop, Palladius, had gone to Ireland to preach, but he was no longer there (my sources disagree on whether he had died, or had become discouraged and left Ireland to preach in Scotland). Patrick made his headquarters at Armagh in the North, where he built a school, and had the protection of the local monarch. From this base he made extensive missionary journeys, with considerable success. To say that he single-handedly turned Ireland from a pagan to a Christian country is an exaggeration, but is not far from the truth.

Almost everything we know about him comes from his own writings, available in English in the Ancient Christian Writers series. He has left us an autobiography called the Confessio), a Letter to Coroticus in which he denounces the slave trade and rebukes the British chieftain Coroticus for taking part in it, and the Lorica (or "Breastplate" a poem of disputed authorship traditionally attributed to Patrick), a work that has been called "part prayer, part anthem, and part incantation

This is from the Calendar of the Episcopal Church, and gives a brief description of Patricks life and accomplishments.

I'm not just singling out Athearn here (even though it sounds like it). I love Athearn products and own many of their models. Atlas, and various other manufactures have the same issue of over announcing and underdelivering!
Especially Atlas. I know of one well known retailer who wont deal with them in so far as pre orders are concerned due to their lack of reliability when it comes to delivering.
Yeah, so many of Athearn's and other manufacturers products are announced and they don't have enough want for them, so they just drop it. This reminds me of Athearn re-announcing a Flat Car with a boat on top. This is a model they have made for decades and decades, and it has hardly changed. They announced it 2 or so years ago, and I'm not sure if it has, or will ever, be released. And it is true that a lot of this isn't due to Athearn being lazy, probably just a lot of stuff compiling up into it being put back a while. I'm sure if not enough people ordered it, someone took an executive decision and said to block the production of it. Happy St. Patricks day everyone!!
No one is singling out Athearn/Horizon. They are all guilty. To increase their, (profit), margins, they sold their souls to the factory. As a result of arbitrary actions, they lost tooling, production schedules are unreliable, there are QC issues with everything, and pretty much the factory runs the importers business.

Atlas is also on my list...for the very same reasons as cited above. They also have stuff dating back to 2021...as does Rapido...and my experience has been that Rapido has more QC issues than some of the others, although their detail is impeccable.

Another issue...everything is a theoretical pre order. Even stuff that should be inventory items, like track! Seems every time I plan on an extension, I find necessary components out of stock...doesn't matter if it's Micro Engineering or PECO, (I'm primarily Code70), Even If I used code 83, where there are theoretically more options, much is frequently out of stock. My crystal ball doesn't work that well...Yet Walthers track is frequently subject to pre-order.
Take a few minutes and watch this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back