Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the CP merger story:

Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 10.55.15 AM.png

GEORGE: Now you really have me thinking on the # of locomotives. May even still have close to that number - does Lionel count (even restoring onesin pieces) ? After the 80's divorce, I sold most of my O gauge collection knowing I would never have room for them again - lots of brass!
The last part was just a made up number. It was based on how many engines my married friends have and how long they been married. It's most likely double the number. I didn't factor in any divorces so that may be why your number of engines is a tad off.
Swal

I have heard ok things and great things about Bowser. I have been tempted to buy both the Sd40-2W’s and especially the Sd30C-eco. Those I have heard are great. But, never having had Bowser I am leary.
Bowsers comprise over half of my active locomotive fleet, including numerous Baldwin switchers. They also make the best Alco RS3 of any manufacturer. Detail is good, and they run well.

Well, made it back from Phoenix. Cubs vs WhiteSox on Fri, xfinity nascar on Sat, cup series nascar on Sun, RR museum & Penske museums on Monday, Dobsons Lookout on Tues morn. all in all not too bad a 5 day excursion, BUT no smoking at all- still owe the boy another 23 wks smoke free .
Well -my pics I was gonna put here do not have the proper allowed format. RR Museum was actually in Scotsdale
The rented 2003 Vette Stingray= Boy like a kid in candy store. Fell in LOVE with it. Power top convertible.

Willie: I moved from Mutual Funds and ETFs to Dividend stocks. Right now, I'm ignoring the bears, and positioning myself for when the bulls come back out of hiding. The only ones that benefit from short selling are traders. It's more like gambling than investing.

I've been investing in dividend paying blue chips since the early 80s when my grandfather gifted me some Exxon shares. I have never sold any stock I bought, other than a handful of times over the past 40 years. I still own XOM shares at $3.82 per share from 1982. It's trading at $101.20 right now.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 60° and quite windy from the south. At 0500, there's a widespread area of rain just a mile south of me.
View attachment 164470
Since this stuff usually moves towards the east and southeast, I may not see anything here. The Weather Underground station down the road is showing rain, but no wind, so his anemometer must not be working this morning. It's at least 18-20 mph. The wind will shift out of the north around sundown today and we'll drop to the mid-30's after reaching a high today of 76°. Partly cloudy and cold here until Tuesday.

Yesterday was a nice but windy day. I planted another partial row of radishes and carrots; and 46 more white onion plants. Some of the ones that I planted last month disappeared, I believe the excessive rain and possibly the hail did some of the white ones in. The yellow ones all seem to have survived though! I see little lettuce plants from the seed that I planted on 3-1. The green pea plants are about 3" tall now. Everything that I have planted will survive a light frost, peas can tolerate 26° and onions can tolerate 19°.
Time today once again for the weekly grocery/beer trek. Looks like corned beef briskets are still on sale, so I'll get a couple more this week to add to the ones in the freezer from last week. Plus one for tomorrow night. The Pope gives an automatic dispensation from "seafood on Friday" during Lent when St Patrick's Day falls on Friday. I noticed in the sales flyer that Jalapeno Peppers have gone up in price again; on sale they are now $1.39/lb, a 40% increase from their normal 99¢/lb price! Them poppers that I make are getting expensive. Still a cheap appetizer though.
Wife is going to our daughter's house this afternoon to make her a Birthday cake with our granddaughter's help. Hopefully the weather cooperates. I'll stay home and watch the granddog and dry her feet if needed. Unless it's really raining hard, she doesn't mind it.

Thanks for the comments and reactions regarding the weathered freight cars yesterday.

I didn't spend any time out in the train shed yesterday, just didn't feel like it. Some times that happens. That won't happen again today as I ended up missing the visit.
From the archives: A run-by of a scrap metal train going north past a grain elevator.
View attachment 164473
View attachment 164474
View attachment 164475View attachment 164476View attachment 164477View attachment 164478
View attachment 164479

Swal - It hurts me to see the picture of your car/driveway when I am wearing shorts and a tee shirt most days. Once again, best wishes for your wife.
Sherrel - In Texas, if one drives around a barrier/sign into flowing water, or just water over the road and get stuck, you pay dearly for the rescue. Not only a wrecker, but for police or fire rescue crews as well. Plus you might have to wait a while unless it's a severe emergency.
Good luck with the options trading. I somewhat understand shorts, but not enough to participate. For now I am sticking with ETF's T-bills and mutual funds. I do have a bit of Lockheed-Martin stock which should be profitable as they replenish defense supplies that are going to Europe.
Congratulations to you and Kate on the 32nd.
Joe - I can take the ups and downs of the stock market a whole lot better than my wife. If the Dow drops 30 points, she's all about "we gotta get out". I gave her complete control over her Roth IRA and it's made about 0.01% in the last 7 years. Meanwhile I control the bulk of our retirement accounts and have gone up almost 60% in the same time frame. I haven't made any additional contributions in that period and lived off the account for 2.5 years until SS kicked in. Last year was my first loser since 2009. I went down 4%. But like I posted yesterday, it was all a paper loss of paper gains! Tuesday was good! I made $2K before moving some stuff into money market. I wish that I could make all moves with that timing!;)
I saw a photo of that collapsed roof on the shopping mall in Duluth, man that's a really large accumulation of snow that was up there. Looks like over 3' judging from surrounding items.

Everybody have a great day.
I sure like all those scrap cars Willie.

In Texas, if one drives around a barrier/sign into flowing water, or just water over the road and get stuck, you pay dearly for the rescue.
WILLIE - News here showing an intersection - busy street - was flooded almost axel deep and must have been 20 stalled cars all around ans here comes another down the street doing 50-60; he amost coasted clear of the water with a dead engine. LOL - 21!
The scrap train - with a caboose - looked great; just needs some bending of the sides of those gons!

TomO - Saw that banking season earlier - funny!
I texted this one to the Spousal Unt this morning - she was downstairs and I could hear her laughing before I went down!
1678992692816.png

Bowser......

I like them especially now as their detail is on par. The motor issues have been resolved as of late. I actually have 2 on pre order at Trainworld.

Greenbay & Western​

Red & Grey,​

JAMES -- One of my favorite roads -- I have a 70's RMC with a several page article and photos of the road. The Red and Gray paint with a yellow stripe is just awesome Actually, I believe it was Maroon and Gray - I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back