Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Raining lightly and 50° right now. Thunder in the distance. It won't get much warmer today, 57°, but the rain for now appears to be almost over and I doubt that I could measure the amount in my rain gauge.
Yesterday was another beautiful day at 76°, partly sunny and no wind. Knowing that it was probably going to be wet today, I mostly did stuff in the yard. I consolidated several piles of brush for eventual shredding and cut & stacked another week's worth of firewood. Wanted to do a little hoeing in the garden to break the surface crust and pre-eliminate stray weeds, but it was still just a little wet from the 3" of rain last Thursday.

Yesterday out in the train shed, I mainly continued on with the ground cover/concrete painting that I have been doing for a while. Lots of progress although it also doesn't seem like it. I did pause long enough to snap a few progress shots.
View attachment 163732
View attachment 163733
View attachment 163734View attachment 163735
I also have done some painting on the four loading platforms, including safety yellow paint on the stairs and concrete color on the bases.
View attachment 163736
I also made more than a few laps with the covered hopper that had been derailing, now that I added more weight. Many laps at varyiing speeds with no derailments. Today I will reverse the travel direction to ensure that I truly fixed the issue. It was already up to the NMRA recommendation, now it is about 1/3oz over.

Mike -

Like you, if scrapple is the only thing served, I could eat it, but I certainly don't go to the grocery store looking for it!
Tom O -

Are you saying that there is no good political news???
Hmmmh! I would be apprehensive about that tax firm too. If they want you to file an extension this early, they're either too inexperienced to do the return, or too busy to give you the attention that is required. Maybe both!
Have a very safe trip.

I headed out to the rain gauge a few minutes ago, and surprisingly it had 0.5" in it. So I checked the Weather Underground and found out that I had slept through an earlier rain event that provided most of the total.
Every one have a great day.
Willie, 25+ years with the firm. But new ownership this year. Terry did terminate their services yesterday and waited for them to hand over all the files. She had them backed up on a thumb drive but she wanted her files back.

Got X-rays waiting on the doc
002C8D65-86D7-4342-8853-0B9E091F8F56.jpeg

Good Morning all.

Going to be a cool raw day today with highs only in the low 40s and breezy. Rain last night never happened. Looks like some turbulent weather may be in store for Friday, but we shall see. They have been mostly wrong all Winter.

Great discussion on Scrapple yesterday. Lots of educational value to the Coffee Shop!

Have a great day all,

I'm back but will make it short. Was out of town down in Arizona. Visited friends in Mesa and checked out Jackson-Barrett as they said they had a line on a BMW Bavaria that I had been looking for. Got excited about it until I found out that it had an automatic transmission. From there I went to Las Vegas and stayed at my friend and old bowling partners brother in law. They had dachshunds so my girls were happy and I went to the NASCAR race last Sunday. The difference in mileage and the roads made the trip a lot longer than in the past, but I sure DO NOT miss Bozeman.

Have a lot to get done. Paying bills, laundry, grocery shopping, and more.

From the archives.

thumbnail_20190419_103109.jpg
thumbnail_20191224_153114.jpg
thumbnail_20191102_142936.jpg
thumbnail_20200123_112638.jpg
thumbnail_20200128_164349.jpg
thumbnail_20190419_102017.jpg
IMAG0844.jpg
20171118_142547.jpg
20180904_130007.jpg

Got to get going and get caught up on the things that I didn't and really don't do.

Later

I am actually ready for Rodgers to go....along with a few other players....
I was ready about 5 years ago when they could have asked for the moon and gotten it from multiple teams. Dealing with one team really binds the deals the Packers can make. If they get 2 number 1 picks over the next 3 drafts and a second round I think that would be a miracle and they should take it.

If they trade MR Diva before this draft I also believe the Coach will get fired after the 2024 season. He has a terrible group of assistant coaches who were hired because they were cheap to hire.

Update on the back:

1. I went today at 10am for the walk in clinic. Took longer to fill out the paperwork than to get xrayed
2. Nurse pract saw my x-rays and we discussed them. She pointed out that even though the discs don't show on X-ray, the spacing between the vertebrae was normal
3. I do have arthritis on my spine. Mild so far, but welcome to the club

The suspicion is that I had a bulging disk about a month ago with the Sciatica, and pulling a muscle a week ago just aggravated a bad but recovering issue. Add in another twist/pull in the back last Friday and I just kept throwing kerosene on the fire.

I've got a course of methylprednisolone. Just took the first half of the dose. I'll take the second half in an hour so with some more food. The last time I had this, I got EDIT muscle cramps. We'll see how I react this time.

Last edited:
Update on the back:

1. I went today at 10am for the walk in clinic. Took longer to fill out the paperwork than to get xrayed
2. Nurse pract saw my x-rays and we discussed them. She pointed out that even though the discs don't show on X-ray, the spacing between the vertebrae was normal
3. I do have arthritis on my spine. Mild so far, but welcome to the club

The suspicion is that I had a bulging disk about a month ago with the Sciatica, and pulling a muscle a week ago just aggravated a bad but recovering issue. Add in another twist/pull in the back last Friday and I just kept throwing kerosene on the fire.

I've got a course of methylprednisolone. Just took the first half of the dose. I'll take the second half in an hour so with some more food. The last time I had this, I got real nauseous. We'll see how I react this time.

Hope you feel some relief soon!!!

Ahhhh.....Sherrel you crack me up! Well I would like to share that but she is a private person. We will have pics when fishing season starts in a matter weeks. Needless to say I will need to ask her permission to share any pics. I am very careful about posting pics. She is a high profile dignitary in her profession as a CFO. I will say she is a looker for sure. She is 5'-11" and well I am 5'-9 3/4". So ya, she is taller than me. Super long blonde hair and chocolate brown eyes like a doe. She has a fantastic figure for her age. I do appreciate her for sure. Anyways you will have to wait....I will keep posting trains and freight cars until then ;):D
I think it nice you respect her privacy, plus many blokes like their women in high heels which makes them taller than themselves,yours has a head start, you lucky dog. I get a cracked neck looking up at my other half, luckily he bends down lol,an inch give or take don’t let it bother you, I used to wear 4 in heels a wonder I never broke my neck lol.as I short arse I certainly envy her height. You lucky dog.

Afternoon All,

Son and I spent 2 hours in the yard raking and bagging oak leaves. We ended up with 9- 34 gallon yard bags filled to the top. After that I decided to relax the rest of the day. Tomorrow, I have an early morning eye appointment at the VA.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a craftsman model RR magazine?

Todd- The snow looks pretty in a picture.

Hughie- Nice scene.

Mikey- What a nice compliment.

Joe- Nice beginning to the building.

Willie- Very nice modeling.

Chet- Great photos from the LVRR.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I was addressing Flo & Mel, didn't realise you worked in the coffee shop too, or I would have said Morning Boy's and Girls, apologies.:)
I was only joking with you Smudge. You could consider it a compliment. I only joke with my friends.

Ask Sherrell, I like to ride him like a horse. He just gives it right back to me.

I hope I did not offend you. If I did, I apologize.

Last edited:
Good Morning All!
26F @ 67% and clear

Got back from Sandpoint about 1700 yesterday afternoon. Doc appointment went good. Wife is now being setup for a stress test out of abundance of caution. Was impressed by the cardiologist. While asking questions; one was: did you get 'the shot/booster(s)'. When we answered 'No' he said 'Good', then 'Why?'. Besides being untested, I told him that I had not had a flu shot since 1978 and figured my system was in good shape as to the biological's and had good natural immunity. Wife stopped doing those flu shots in the early 2000's; probably because of me. Then he had a couple of horror stories about some of his friends and patients about the China virus. She was supposed to see him last week. He had to cancel. Told us that he had an issue and went to emergency telling the desk jockey that he was in the middle of a PE. Ya, sure they said thinking 'some kind of nut'. He flashed his badge and told them he was a cardiologist. Got him right in! My cardiologist retired last year, and I think he will be my new one; will check and if not, I will make it so.

It was snowing big time in Libby as we were getting ready to go; and not knowing the road conditions ... we left early. Anyway, went and had breakfast which still left us some time so I figured we would drive around for a bit checking out railroad locations I knew. Not a train on the way to Sandpoint, not a train in Sandpoint. In fact we did not see anything until our return when we got near Elmira. There was an oiler on the main just starting to head West ( South ). Had 2 CN's on front, 1 CN and 1 BNSF bringing up the rear. Was in traffic so I could not stop for pix. At first I though UP was running on BNSF although I have never seen UP with an oiler. As a note, UP trackage is a few hundred feet from the location we caught this one. Another oiler was Eastbound ( North ) that came out of the hole and we chased that; kinda, until Naples. BNSF was pretty dead.

So, hope that these pix aren't boring - at least there is some proof we were there. Both of Lake Pend O'Reilly ( pon der ray ), one looking up ( North ) the Lake/River, other looking somewhat SouthWest.

View attachment 163716

View attachment 163718

You can kinda see BNSF's long bridge across the lake. New trestle is done, has track. They are now getting ready to run the 2nd track from the bridge to the ( X ) MRL and Kootenai River Sub. Both new little bridges between long bridge and station are in sans ties and track. It is going to be interesting as to what they do with the junction. Besides getting by the Sandpoint Amtrak station, there could be some 'fancy' trackwork at the junction. MRL has a passing siding immediately after the junction, BNSF has the Boyer siding after going across the hiway and waterway; maybe 3/4 mile. BNSF and UP cross at grade just up from the hiway and before the Boyer siding; maybe 2000Ft after the junction. You can get there using Larch, then Boyer Ave, good watching location I might add.

I have asked BNSF guys I happen to run across about how far the double track is going to go, or if it dies at the junction. Nobody is willing to say. I know that the Koot Sub could be double tracked for the most part up to the Flathead Tunnel. Am unsure about the Kootenai River Canyon just after Bonners Ferry though; pretty much from Crossport to Yakt. There are 2 sidings in the canyon: Katka and Leonia; these 2 I have never stood upon as the River is on one side, and a very steep hill on the other. Except for those, I have stood on all sidings between Everett, Wa and East Glacier. When they were working on Katka a few years back I spotted a road going down marked "BNSF construction" but have not found it again. Suspect they trashed it when the work was done. There is a 'pipe' bridge across the Koot at Leonia - maybe some day.

Y'all have a good day.

Later
Been watching the progress of this myself. Seems like they've been working on this project for a long time. I heard from my dad that when they were driving the pilings going across the lake that they almost lost one out of sight. Thanks for the photos. For those that want a visual of what it used to look like (48.27645289860015, -116.54546233782838: https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...!8m2!3d48.276577!4d-116.553465!16zL20vMHMxNTQ )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back