Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve- Did you use plastic joiners on the RL? Also, the RL needs to be long enough to hold the entire train. If you know this already I apologize.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I used a plastic joiner on one leg coming off the TO. The other is a metal joiner. Then I cut a gap about 3/4" down the line which I fill with a piece of styrene. That's the way I thought best to satisfy the requirement that the gaps be offset 3/4" Thanks for the heads up, though. Frankly, I surprised myself that I remembered!

Good afternoon, compadres!

Did the wiring I hoped to do. Drilled holes for and dropped and soldered 6 pairs of feeders. Ran the bus on the eastern half of the table and connected the feeders to the bus. Went smooth! Picked up all the tools and stuff and gave the carpet under the layout a good vacuuming. Now - it is 5:00 here, so celebrating the accomplishments with a single malt. Ahhhh. I think I will go down and run trains! For an hour or so. Sounds fun.

That is what all this work and expense is for, right? To run trains?

Good Afternoon,

It is a little cooler today, now at 38°. We are going to have 50's and sun tomorrow, yippeee

Patrick - our corned beef and cabbage was great, leftovers today. Wife made it in a cast iron kettle on the gas range:

View attachment 143108

she put potatoes, cabbage, carrots in the mix. mmmmmgggooooood

Gary - nice scene with the 5" gun and figure, is that you?

Jaz avalley - sometimes I wonder what they are measuring that they call "intelligence"

gjsls Tom - love the d&RGW loco

Ken OBTC - glad to hear the feet are going to get off that concrete. My previous job was hard on mine, same circumstances

McLeod - great info on the mill and train activity in your area

TomO - good to hear the snow is just about gone. Ours shrinking fast

Lee - not much better than a new locomotive on clean track

Weekend - plan to do some major cleaning in the train room, getting ready to complete the loop on my new layout.

Finally, a photo from the old layout. Quite an assortment of trees, one sticks out as being a little odd, however a lot of the scene is pleasant to look at

View attachment 143109

more later - Dave LASM
Dave another awesome pic. I get the feeling that I’m Rail Fanning in my secret vantage point. Yes there’s nothing like a New Engine on a clean track. Thanks for the complement.

Good evening. Today was beautiful. 76° and sunny this afternoon. 62° right now, and expecting some rain overnight.

WB at Harpers Ferry, 1964 W Hakkarinen.jpg

W. Hakkarinen photo - B&O WB Freight at Harpers Ferry WV 1964. Somehow, ended up in the Conrail folder.

Afternoon All,

Took dad to the cardiologist. What a waste of time. All they did was change a bandage on his thigh. ☹️ I think I have enough medical training to do that. After getting home I did some house chores and applied a small area of ground cover around the one side of the icehouse. I also cut an additional piece of styrene to extend the parking lot to support a second freight house that I scratch built for my last layout. It won't have street pickup, just a transfer point for rail transport. I may make this warehouse a FGE facility since it's very close to the icehouse.

Gary- The ship is super cool. Do you already have a name selected?

Lee-It's ALTO tower (Altoona). It's a Scientific kit from Micromark. They have several PRR specific kits. Very nice EL FA and video.

Jaz- Great save with the loco.

Tom- That steamer is fantastic.

Ken(IL)- Congrats on your last day.

Terry- Prayers for you and your wife.

Steve- Did you use plastic joiners on the RL? Also, the RL needs to be long enough to hold the entire train. If you know this already I apologize.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Thanks Curt I’ll have to check them out I appreciate the complement too

Managed to earn myself an overnight stay at the “Wausau Grand Resort Hotel”. Had heart palpitations when I got to work(11 am), but just figured it was my pacemaker kicking my heart rate up to where it should be. Thought I’d be ok once I got situated at my desk & got a few calls under my belt. When it wasn’t getting better by 1:00, I left for the day. I ended up at the emergency room where they did a whole battery of tests. They weren’t able to download info from my pacemaker, so they admitted me so that cardiology could follow up tomorrow.

Managed to earn myself an overnight stay at the “Wausau Grand Resort Hotel”. Had heart palpitations when I got to work(11 am), but just figured it was my pacemaker kicking my heart rate up to where it should be. Thought I’d be ok once I got situated at my desk & got a few calls under my belt. When it wasn’t getting better by 1:00, I left for the day. I ended up at the emergency room where they did a whole battery of tests. They weren’t able to download info from my pacemaker, so they admitted me so that cardiology could follow up tomorrow.
Hate to hear that.

Thanks for all the likes and comments on that L-131 guys I do appreciate it.
Beautiful day here in Grand Junction, I slept thru almost all of it. Maybe get some time to enjoy tomorrow, supposed to be 60+ deg. I hope to get out to the train barn for a while, maybe open the doors and get some fresh air in there. I have been working on a few projects for a few months, I never throw anything away, the wife reminds me often that I should throw away some junk, but hey it my junk.
Speaking of junk, this is a Athearn caboose from a wreck that was repurposed into a derrick train caboose/ tool car. I painted/ weathered then added the Miller genset/welder and the cutting torch kit and JOBOX tool box from custom finishes, a few barrels from, torch bottles from Tichy, some jacks and stands as well as re-rail frogs from Details West. Used brass wire to make the end and side railings/grabs some tool boxes from Precision scale and a few other odds and ends. Some Evergreen styrene was used to complete the car. I bent up some coupler cut bars for it.
Painted the car with some old silver Floquil and made some decals up for QA&P MW service. Anyway here it is ready to be put into service.
DSCN3866.JPG
DSCN3868.JPG
DSCN3871.JPG
DSCN3872.JPG

Next is the derrick boom car, this was made from a part of an MDC flat car, part of an Athearn gondola, with some metal caboose step castings. I never throw anything away. The details include wood cribbing for the derrick, spreader bars from Tichy and one made from Stryrene various details from woodland scenics and others. Painted with Floquil old silver, and some QA&P MW decals. Work trains can be a lot of fun to build. I enjoy not being tied down to a specific prototype to model. Bent up some coupler cut bars for it too. Next step is to take these cars out to the barn and put them into service.
DSCN3850.JPG
DSCN3851.JPG
DSCN3853.JPG
Thanks for taking a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back