Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening: 48° with increasing clouds. Tomorrow, predicted high is 53°, and it appears that it will rain on the Parade. ☹️

Liberty ships were armed with either 2 5"38 or 2 3"50 one fore, the other aft. Also armed with 20mm and 50 cal AAA, mostly to deter surface attack, and hostile aircraft. Ship's officers and crew came from the Merchant Marine, Gun crews were USN or USCG. Weapons were removed at the end of WW2. (See Hughie's uploaded photos).

The wife went up to the bedroom, to reorganize her sweater drawer, this morning, and found her old I phone (which she kept there), appeared to be ripped open. Closer examination revealed that the pouch containing the Lithium Ion Battery, had expanded with such force, it popped the screen off and bent the side frame of the I phone. I suppose the battery had become unstable over time. Did not notice any evidence of leakage or heat. For what ever reason, she had two obsolete smart phones she was holding on to.Now the batteries, along with several other obsolete Lithium - ion batteries are stored in a bucket outside....as far from a structure as possible, until I get them to a recycle center.

This incident, led me to begin Spring Cleaning of the garage. I also have a load of leaves to get rid of, out back.

The wife's Dell PC has expired. (We think), fortunately, all data was backed up yesterday. 👍 and I was able to read it.👍 Now,to decide on a replacement. She was considering a Mac, until she saw the price...Possibly, something similar to the Dell I bought, Inspiron 15, but with a Touch Screen. (I did have other plans for that tax return money). :rolleyes:

Willie: You have had nothing but trouble with that water heater. Hope the repair goes well.

Being serenaded by the sound of fireworks...Generally, a July 4th thing, with easy access to fireworks it has evolved into a celebration for almost any occasion. Hope the rockets offer a green glare / burst. :rolleyes:

Broker at South Newark 1965.jpg

The "Broker" passing through South Newark in 1965...no photographer credited.
PRR E3b #4995 Goldsboro PA 4_28_1962 - Rodney Peterson Photo.jpg

PRR E3B motor #4995, passing through Goldsboro, PA on the York Haven Line, 04/28/1962 -enroute to Enola - Rodney Peterson photo.
Must have been a warm day, as the crew has the front door open.

I need a tech assist, friends.

20220316_213236.jpg

That lower point in the picture is causing derails. It sticks out far enough that the flanges ride up on it and then drop on the lower side when gauge so dictates causing the derail. Bummer, dude. And I put a temporary Caboose spring-loaded ground throw so I am confident it is held firmly against the stock rail.

So I think I need to file it. Now here is where I would appreciate expert advice:

Do I file the side up against the stock rail or the side facing the opposite point?

Walthers/Shinohara HO curved 20-24 #6-1/2 turnout.

Thanks in advance!

The wife's Dell PC has expired. (We think), fortunately, all data was backed up yesterday. 👍 and I was able to read it.👍 Now,to decide on a replacement. She was considering a Mac, until she saw the price...Possibly, something similar to the Dell I bought, Inspiron 15, but with a Touch Screen. (I did have other plans for that tax return money). :rolleyes:
Joe, I'd advise caution about Dell stuff right now. They've been suffering quite a bit of QC issues since the pandemic struck.
I found this at the website of my local Big Box store:

I found this one at Lenovo, if you want larger screen, though it is also a larger computer overall:

MD Ken got an AMD powered one a few months ago, and I haven't heard any complaints. AMD has come a long way in the last few years, from the stumbling, glitchy, excess heat-generating systems to a cool, powerful, energy-efficient series of systems. And they're still a few bucks cheaper than Intel's offerings.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 50.
My wife has been home since Sunday, and it's been a little--hectic-- since then.
She couldn't even stand or walk when she came home, she now can stand and walk from the bed to her chair in the living room, and from there to the bathroom and back, using her walker. She has a long way to go, though, before she can safely be by herself. Her son is here this week, through Friday, to help her. I have to work Saturday, so we're working to get her self-sufficient enough she can sit in her chair in the living room by herself from 9:00-1:30. All of our neighbors are older than us, and most of them not much better health, so getting a neighbor to come help is out of the question.

Morning all,

Happy St. Patrick's day. Not much going on. Was supposed to get in the train room yesterday, but as usual life got in the way.

Weather going to be weird again...in the 70's yesterday, upper 60's today, snow\rain mix tonight and still a high in the mid-50's tomorrow.

Corned beef and cabbage on the menu tonight. Can't eat the leftovers until Saturday. After all these years, still have a hard time understanding the no meat rule...

Good Morning from the West! Temp is 41F, sky is clear, wind is calm, and heading for 76F today. It must be Spring - Wally World had the swim suits out in full display yesterday and several nice looking younger maidens were "thumbing" through the racks - it was all I could do to refrain from helping out?

Goodness there is much to talk about here! Driverless autos, driverless trains, wow, why don't we throw in a few driverless planes as well. When the Boeing 727 came out in the 60's, they were equipped with "autoland" - a far cry from your first impression!
The company insisted that it be used on low visibility approaches - I wonder how many passengers swore off flying after riding through one of those? It was basically a controlled crash; imagine the roughest Navy carrier landing that you have seen - and then apply it to the present. I would let the autoflight system make the approach (provided it behaved) down to 100 feet at which time I shut off everything and manually landed the plane old fashion like. I saw no reason in scaring the inhabitants with the gyrations, tail striking flare, slam on braking, and whatnots!
I never did try and make the first turnout off the runway - I got 6-8 thousand feet in front of me - let the aircraft decelerate on it's own; besides we were getting paid by the hour, so a minute here and a minute there helped the bottom line, plus saved wear and tear on the plane itself.
The problem I see with all this "automation" is that most humans are lazy and they, over time, lose the edge to be able to correct a bad situation - or overlook minor, killer, discrepancies.

Well, I have yakked enough. I have a beautiful model photo of a SD38-2 of which the FRISCO had 2 pair - 296/297 and 298/299. Both sets never left their respective hump yard duties in Tulsa and Memphis. It is rumored that Scale Trains may put these 4 units in their lineup. Anyway, here is the photo courtesy of MATT FISHER with his note:
"The Kato model was custom built and painted by John Bezuyen"

View attachment 142578
Hey Sherrel
Here is a set of SL-SF SD38's doing the deed, well HO scale anyways.
Good Morning from the West! Temp is 41F, sky is clear, wind is calm, and heading for 76F today. It must be Spring - Wally World had the swim suits out in full display yesterday and several nice looking younger maidens were "thumbing" through the racks - it was all I could do to refrain from helping out?

Goodness there is much to talk about here! Driverless autos, driverless trains, wow, why don't we throw in a few driverless planes as well. When the Boeing 727 came out in the 60's, they were equipped with "autoland" - a far cry from your first impression!
The company insisted that it be used on low visibility approaches - I wonder how many passengers swore off flying after riding through one of those? It was basically a controlled crash; imagine the roughest Navy carrier landing that you have seen - and then apply it to the present. I would let the autoflight system make the approach (provided it behaved) down to 100 feet at which time I shut off everything and manually landed the plane old fashion like. I saw no reason in scaring the inhabitants with the gyrations, tail striking flare, slam on braking, and whatnots!
I never did try and make the first turnout off the runway - I got 6-8 thousand feet in front of me - let the aircraft decelerate on it's own; besides we were getting paid by the hour, so a minute here and a minute there helped the bottom line, plus saved wear and tear on the plane itself.
The problem I see with all this "automation" is that most humans are lazy and they, over time, lose the edge to be able to correct a bad situation - or overlook minor, killer, discrepancies.

Well, I have yakked enough. I have a beautiful model photo of a SD38-2 of which the FRISCO had 2 pair - 296/297 and 298/299. Both sets never left their respective hump yard duties in Tulsa and Memphis. It is rumored that Scale Trains may put these 4 units in their lineup. Anyway, here is the photo courtesy of MATT FISHER with his note:
"The Kato model was custom built and painted by John Bezuyen"

View attachment 142578

Sherrel,
I spent a few months building 4 of the 4 SL-SF SD38-2's. Dont make me take more pictures! Well, I have 2 left, sold the others.

:)

Weigh in:

Yesterday was high: 225
Today 220.1

Yes, I made two trips to the commode since yesterday's weigh-in, but it shouldn't have been that much. Got my steps in. 13,700+ of them

I did slow down on the nuts and salami.

Off to get a chuck roast to smoke for dinner.

Good Morning All. Happy St. Patrick's Day. Clear and 57° headed up to near 80° later today, before wind shifts out of the north and wallops us. Wind advisory in effect and tomorrow the low will be in the upper 30's, although the high will still be near 70°. We'll repeat this pattern twice next week. Guess that I am not done with the wood burning heater yet.

Grocery trek this morning, Walgreen's and Target are also on the list. I do plan on getting a few more corned beef's for the freezer. Since my wife is now out of town, I'll hold off cooking one until Saturday rather than eating it alone.
Slept 6.5 hours last night, so maybe the issue is going away. I did use the CBD stuff though. I am mainly just trying to break the pattern and get back to regular. I don't want to use sleeping aids as a part of my lifestyle.
The parts for the water heater are due in today, although it probably won't be soon enough to install them until tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the likes yesterday for the ruler[?]; Joe, Karl, Smudge, Lee, Troy, Gary, James, Patrick, Dave B, Hughie, Louis, Sherrel, OB Ken, Guy, Tom, Rick, IB Ken, George. Also thanks for the likes and comments on the Heineken train. It's the least that I could do to counter Steve J's wine trains.

No train shed time yesterday, so it is back to the archives today. How about some motive power?
A lash-up of two GP60M's and a GP60B hauling a container train.
03-03-19 006.JPG

Also showing up in this picture is a good example of my homemade barbed wire fencing.
A pair of GP35's waiting with a mixed freight on the siding in Vernon.
03-03-19 007.JPG

A pair of SD45's with another container train waiting on the siding in Gainesville for an open track into the yard.
07-12-19 001.001.JPG

Another pair of SD45's pulling a grain train.
IMG_6250.JPG

Still trying to catch up with the very busy forum after losing time yesterday.
Louis -
Willie, I read about your crab cakes.
What crab do you use to make those. I know the blue crab can be found in the gulf.
I use Dockside Classics Premium Crab Cakes and just take them out of the package and bake.
Blue Crab is available in the marshes along the Texas coast, and you can sometimes purchase them directly from smaller commercial crabbers. They don't transport well to this part of the state.
Patrick - Sorry that I didn't have time to come up and sample the smoked meat. Looked good though. I use a lot of peach wood for pork shoulders and make pulled pork and freeze it.
Smudge - Great idea about sending the Heineken picture to your friend in Germany. It will be interesting to read his take.
Troy - Chili, noodles? You Yankees are strange.;)
Hughie - New kit looks like another winner.
Joe - Actually I have not had a problem with the tankless water heater since installing, except having to replace the fuse whenever there is a lightning surge causing a power failure. It has been other plumbing in general that's been a problem. Shortcuts were taken by someone else when the house was built and I have been having to replace much of that.
Terry - Very encouraging to read of your wife's improvement. It seemed dire to begin with, surely all of our prayers for her helped.
Patrick - I would get into the no meat rule, but it might cross the line of prohibited topics here. Let's just put it as commemorating suffering.
Ken (D&J) -
Wow, today you can get stinkin drunk because it's St. Patrick's day. I think I'll pass on it anyway.
Yes, that's an aspect that I no longer participate in, but even better is that you can hit on your best friend's wife without getting in trouble!!! As long as he is Irish as well.

Everyone have a great day. Be safe. Listen to Irish rock music: Them, Thin Lizzie, U2, Van Morrison, Rory Gallagher, Boomtown Rats and the Cranberries. You can drop-kick Sinead O'Conner into the ocean though.

Good Morning All. Happy St. Patrick's Day. Clear and 57° headed up to near 80° later today, before wind shifts out of the north and wallops us. Wind advisory in effect and tomorrow the low will be in the upper 30's, although the high will still be near 70°. We'll repeat this pattern twice next week. Guess that I am not done with the wood burning heater yet.

Grocery trek this morning, Walgreen's and Target are also on the list. I do plan on getting a few more corned beef's for the freezer. Since my wife is now out of town, I'll hold off cooking one until Saturday rather than eating it alone.
Slept 6.5 hours last night, so maybe the issue is going away. I did use the CBD stuff though. I am mainly just trying to break the pattern and get back to regular. I don't want to use sleeping aids as a part of my lifestyle.
The parts for the water heater are due in today, although it probably won't be soon enough to install them until tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the likes yesterday for the ruler[?]; Joe, Karl, Smudge, Lee, Troy, Gary, James, Patrick, Dave B, Hughie, Louis, Sherrel, OB Ken, Guy, Tom, Rick, IB Ken, George. Also thanks for the likes and comments on the Heineken train. It's the least that I could do to counter Steve J's wine trains.

No train shed time yesterday, so it is back to the archives today. How about some motive power?
A lash-up of two GP60M's and a GP60B hauling a container train.
View attachment 142957
Also showing up in this picture is a good example of my homemade barbed wire fencing.
A pair of GP35's waiting with a mixed freight on the siding in Vernon.
View attachment 142958
A pair of SD45's with another container train waiting on the siding in Gainesville for an open track into the yard.
View attachment 142959
Another pair of SD45's pulling a grain train.
View attachment 142960

Still trying to catch up with the very busy forum after losing time yesterday.
Louis -

I use Dockside Classics Premium Crab Cakes and just take them out of the package and bake.
Blue Crab is available in the marshes along the Texas coast, and you can sometimes purchase them directly from smaller commercial crabbers. They don't transport well to this part of the state.
Patrick - Sorry that I didn't have time to come up and sample the smoked meat. Looked good though. I use a lot of peach wood for pork shoulders and make pulled pork and freeze it.
Smudge - Great idea about sending the Heineken picture to your friend in Germany. It will be interesting to read his take.
Troy - Chili, noodles? You Yankees are strange.;)
Hughie - New kit looks like another winner.
Joe - Actually I have not had a problem with the tankless water heater since installing, except having to replace the fuse whenever there is a lightning surge causing a power failure. It has been other plumbing in general that's been a problem. Shortcuts were taken by someone else when the house was built and I have been having to replace much of that.
Terry - Very encouraging to read of your wife's improvement. It seemed dire to begin with, surely all of our prayers for her helped.
Patrick - I would get into the no meat rule, but it might cross the line of prohibited topics here. Let's just put it as commemorating suffering.
Ken (D&J) -

Yes, that's an aspect that I no longer participate in, but even better is that you can hit on your best friend's wife without getting in trouble!!! As long as he is Irish as well.

Everyone have a great day. Be safe. Listen to Irish rock music: Them, Thin Lizzie, U2, Van Morrison, Rory Gallagher, Boomtown Rats and the Cranberries. You can drop-kick Sinead O'Conner into the ocean though.
I like the archives pics Willie I’m going have to get a small fence up around this guys land or his Cows will be Hamburger some day. Hope you have luck with your Water Heater I hate working on those things.
6AEBF9F3-0A02-4D27-9E09-0DCD811D19BD.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back