Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a guy who just told me a couple weeks ago his 2021 used F150 with everything including the kitchen sink and 9000 miles was $79,000.00 sticker. Plus 5% tax.

$83,000.00 with tax
lets say 20% down, after all you should have $16, 600 available to buy this much USED truck
72 months at 2% is $1003.00 per month not including insurance
Sounds about right. If one goes new for the same truck, one can pull some strings and discover there is a FORD Credit 84 months at 0.5% though. The other catch is that we are just coming out of the used car shortage. Last year when every auto lot in town was vacant, I was offered some ridiculous prices for my old (I mean old not classic) vehicles. The dealership offered me $5000 more for one of my mustangs than I paid for it in 2017.

Last edited:
Probably boating or gun collecting in that list. BUT I would think Yachting, scuba-diving, flying in general, sky diving, all forms of racing (it is $3000 to rent a track for a few hours), horses all forms (my daughter tried that one for a while), and a few others would be more expensive than model railroading.

But once again model railroading can be as expensive as one wants. I think it could be done satisfactorily on a pretty shoe string budget, especially after some initial capital investment is past.
Oh Yes, definitely agree with you there about how expensive this hobby can be, but you don't need expensive kit to enjoy the hobby. The loco's and the DCC control system and some of the tools (soldering station etc.) are probably my most expensive purchases, I think the shedload of track I bought was about £30. Apart from the half dozen brand new loco's I have, (mostly either Christmas or Birthday presents) nearly all (with some exceptions) have cost me less than £50 and some a lot less than half that if your willing to spend some time and TLC, think I only have four so far that are non runners. (two need new motors, but I know I can get them running), and all my rolling stock is 2nd hand.

Good afternoon, light rain today, temps right around freezing so roads pure ice. Got to work in the train room all day!

Willie - The dyed fuel may be a Minnesota thing, state tax on highway use diesel. If you used the on-road diesel in off-road use, you could apply for a refund. Same with gasoline used off-road.

The bakery turned out great!

Train Shows - I have only been to two. One was great, at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds twice a year. Huge, really. The other a bust.

Troy - nice train show loot. I recall you are GN.

Greg - excellent Soo Line Loco and scene

Hughie - Mfg bldg looks Great!

I am having a great day in the train room, I made this mold for my sandstone quarry:

IMG_1991.JPG

I made the mold using a chunk of snow, piece of wood. Here it is a few hours later:

IMG_1999.JPG

The horizontal lines and longer, narrow vertical lines really follow the rock face that I am modelling. I will put more pics on my build thread Monday.

Have a great evening!

Dave LASM

Ironhorseman: SIL is currently working the one east of Hutch. He's a volunteer in Pretty Prairie. They got called to one early this morning they apparently knocked down quick.
There's another big one near El Dorado, but not sure how under control it is at this time.

Utah has dyed off road diesel at some stations available as well. Same thing -- if you get inspected (as a commercial truck, never heard of private vehicles being checked) and they find dyed fuel you are in trouble.
Dyed fuel is a Federal thing for taxes. (got it in NY) They will check private vehicles especial farm trucks, they seem to sneak it in from time to time.

Sounds about right. If one goes new for the same truck, one can pull some strings and discover there is a FORD Credit 84 months at 0.5% though. The other catch is that we are just coming out of the used car shortage. Last year when every auto lot in town was vacant, I was offered some ridiculous prices for my old (I mean old not classic) vehicles. The dealership offered me $5000 more for one of my mustangs than I paid for it in 2017.
My son just got a new pick up. He took his 2009 Tundra with 135,000 miles on it to dealers. Cash offers from the dealerships ranged from 14,000 to 18,000. He paid $11,000 in 2012. Stupid crazy.

TomO

My son just got a new pick up. He took his 2009 Tundra with 135,000 miles on it to dealers. Cash offers from the dealerships ranged from 14,000 to 18,000. He paid $11,000 in 2012. Stupid crazy.

TomO
Not really. Inflation is the stupid crazy but either way, it's gonna cost us quite a bit.
Remember the issue about minimum wage going to $15 an hour? Yeah, try $25 an hour just to make it worth the while to travel to work. Forget about raising a family on it.

Hey folks. I'm still alive and kicking.

I think it's funny. The harder times get, the more I feel like my outdoors hobbies are way more practical and necessary than model trains. Thanks to help from YouTube and my uncle, I've learned how to repair large and small axes needing new handles, now working on my sharpening. In addition to that I'm wanting to learn more about successful camping and other stuff like that.

But, of course, I had to get a new ScaleTrains SDL39. No die-hard Milwaukee fan has a complete collection without one!

IMG_20220304_202253260.jpg

So it is midnight here and probably around 28F. Today it was mid to upper 40s and was supposed to start having a meaningful chance of rain around 1 or 2pm. Then when we were out working on the house and it was 3:30pm and still mixed overcast and sun peaking out I looked and now they were saying a meaningful chance rain was to start around 5pm. Since we had expected the rain earlier in the afternoon my son had arranged to hang out with some friends (which he rarely gets to do) and I also had planned a few things I needed to get done so I sent him home around 2:45pm and I stayed a bit longer to zip tie the vertical rebar so it doesn't slide around and then cut the ends off. (We were mostly doing rebar today). I left around 3:30pm to eat lunch but thought I might get back up to the house if it was going to continue to be so nice out (45F or higher) and maybe put strapping wood across the wall seams where two walls meet in the middle -- all the seams inside the house are done but the outside ones are still only partially done.

But I never made it back up and I thought I heard it start raining hard. I didn't check and went back down to my basement office to do a few things -- install a decoder [this is just a slide in KATO EM13 sized decoder, though mine is a Zimo version] and test run my new KATO ET425 DB Regio commuter train as well as clean up and pack more stuff away and some stuff I needed to do on the computer.

We were supposed to go out to eat at Raising Canes as a family [except the boy as he was at the movies with friends] as we do something nice like that every Saturday that we get meaningful work on the house done. I lost track of time and it got to be 8pm and the wife called me on my cell phone (she was upstairs) to tell me it was snowing heavily and a lot of snow already on the ground. So I went up and looked and there was 2-3 inches and heavy wet snow was falling. She didn't want to go but I was hungry and the daughter wanted to go (she chose the place to go this week) so we drove the 7 or 8 miles. It was slow but no real problem. The restaurant is at a lower elevation -- down in the valley a bit more -- and the roads were just wet and slushy there while covered in snow closer to the house. We ate and drove home, which was easier and most of the main road we were on had been plowed once. However, the worst part was trying to get into our driveway and up into the garage. Now, our driveway is only like 20' long but rises about 3' or so -- quite steep. (It should be against code to have that steep a driveway). I could not get up it and into my garage. I got most of the way even though I tried multiple times with a running start. The car was snow plowing a pile of snow in front of it. I got out of the car and there was a good 6" of snow/ So in 3-4 hours of snowing it had dumped 6" or maybe 7" in our neighborhood. Wife, daughter, and I quickly shoveled the driveway and I parked. My son called and said where he was at, about 12 miles across the valley on the east side (we live on the west side of the Salt Lake Valley) there was really no snow. He later said it was falling like a nice Christmas morning -- small flakes gently coming down. Not hard. And no accumulation. I told him we had 6+ inches but that the roads weren't bad. And by the time he got home the driveway was shoveled, though I am sure there was a layer of snow on it.

IMG_5453.jpeg

Good morning friends! Long time, no see. I'm finally back on my regular hours again after 2 weeks of nights. Counting today, I have 10 work days left at my current job before starting my new adventure. So excited about it, though I'll definitely miss my work friends at "the blue store".

Had a beautiful day here yesterday with the high in the 70's with sun and lots of wind. Took the opportunity to grill out since it was so nice. Accomplished a couple other things while outside as well. Went and bought gas for our outdoor power equipment and almost had a stroke when I saw gas is now $3.99 a gallon at the nearest station. Only going to get worse, I fear.

Supposed to be in the mid 60's today with lots of rain over the next couple days. Glad we were able to spend a lot of time outside yesterday.

Terry: Hoping all is well soon for your wife.

Hope you all have a great day!
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back