Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hearing of fuel theft in the LA area. Thieves will drill a hole in the gas tank, drain the gallon or so that they can carry then leave the rest to drain out. Along with the loss of the whole tank of fuel, the victim has to repair their gas tank and the community has to deal with the gas run off into the sewer system or surrounding area. Fricken thoughtless people.
Amazing how much the Country has changed in just 15 months!

Morning Greetings from the land of the highest priced gasoline in the nation.
Temp is 53F to start with and only looking for a high of 75F today with partly cloudt (actually forecasting rain for tomorrow)

Gave myself a few aches and pains yesterday afternoon trying to replace a faulty yard sprinkler valve. Have to try and find a replacement at the HD this morning. Of course it is not one of the easy ones to repair. They were all placed too close to each other resulting in not being able to saw off the old heads in order to replace.
Now that I finally started on it - I have to finish as the whole yard will be without water and will start to brown after about 72 hrs without some moisture. I think I will look into some "fake" grass at least for the front yard? Can't, or don't want, for the pups as far as the back yard goes!

I did not go out to the MIL ranch yesterday. The Spousal Unit said that there is no change in her condition - Friday afternoon when I was there - there was no acknowledgement from her that I was there - sad.

OK - I need to go shower, buy some eggs and bread - and face the HD scene.
If I can just fine another valve head that will fit the 3.5 inch spread between the risers in the "gang of 6" ... stay tuned.

98B4D212-C084-4078-A087-540D4E9640C5.jpeg

Good morning all! Sunny and 31 heading for sunny and 44 today. Really wishing that warm weather we had a week or so ago would come back. I'm so ready for spring and warm weather. I need to be getting things ready to use our generator once it gets time for spring storms. I got an amazing deal on a generator while working at Lowe's. Before the last snow storm, people were coming in buying every generator we had and the store had to send employees to other Lowe's stores to get more and bring to us to sell. One of those wound up having its box damaged to the point it couldn't be used and a lot of the parts that came with the generator were lost from it. The parts were replaced and the generator was set out on the floor. The storm wound up not being too bad compared to what was expected and no one wound up buying this generator. They let me have it at 50% off to get it off the floor. I now need to learn how to install a transfer switch and set it up to attach to my house when the power goes out...and it will go out at some point with our service.

Went shopping for a few shirts yesterday to wear to work. The last couple years I've only needed t-shirts for work but now I need some nicer polo shirts. Found a few at Kohl's for too much money and bought them. Went out to eat after that at Texas Roadhouse and got yet another under cooked steak. That's 3 out of 5 times that I've been to this particular TR that they didn't cook my steak right. I sent it back to be cooked longer and it was returned to me with the middle kinda "ok" and the outside charred. I didn't pay for it. Probably won't go back to this particular TR anytime soon which is a shame because I really looked forward to having one this close to where I live. Not sure why they find it so hard to cook a steak there.

Nothing else going on. Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning from Austin, Texas home to the son. Arrived last evening around 7. LCutout the 2 nights in New Orleans as the son’s girlfriend was having stomach issues. Still had them at 5 this morning so off to the ER they went. She had an appendicitis attack, so they removed it. They expect to release her this afternoon around 1. Modern medicine at its best.

No plans for today. The NASCAR boys are down the road a bit at the Circuit of the Americas. I have seen 1
F1 race I think in the Fall of 2019. Beautiful facility but the walk from the car to the seats is too far and was muddy due to rain back then.

Nashville was fun as Terry and I explored on our own. But really when you stay at Opryland you really don’t need to leave there. The son and g/f did enjoy the Nashville night life though. we used to…

Terry is out visiting the horses. The son has now officially been moved into the new house 10 days. From his open house he was told a couple times someone would buy the place. Said he laughed but he said yesterday he did receive a offer in an email but to accept the email he had to sign a “nda”. He says that has become standard procedure with supposely all the Telsa management and executives moving in. He is under 3 miles from the factory. He rejected the email.

TomO

edit: breakfast tacos were needed this morning. As I was getting back into the car, MY 1st wildflowers of the season
CEAAB954-2961-4C16-BB22-043D22CC9DDA.jpeg

Last edited:
We laugh but this is seriously becoming a thing, and once again fuel thefts will rise, if you have an outside fuel store, diesel usually but even wood etc
There have been three major reports of major fuel theft folks that were caught here in Colorado. One was a person who used to work for a company that calibrated fuel pumps at service stations. He quit and bought a box truck. Apparently the company did not take back their equipment and he had a device that would override the pumps normal operation. He put a fake fuel fill portal on the side of the truck, would pull into a fuel station, use the device to turn on the pump for "testing" and proceed to pump gas into the fake fill. To the people at the station it looked like he was just filling up with gas. He had a cohort inside the box truck that was putting the fuel into containers in the truck. They believe he got tens of thousands of gallons before being caught.

s.econd instance was a fellow with a box truck that put a hatch in the bottom. would park the truck over the area where the underground tanks are normally filled from. while he was pretending to do legitimate stuff a fellow inside the truck would open the hatch, and then open the fill ports on the tanks, drop a well pump down and pump from the underground tank into his tank inside the truck.

Third was a fellow who bought a fuel delivery truck. He painted it like a local fuel delivery company, and in the cover of broad daylight just drive around to all the farmer's tanks acting like he was delivering when in fact he was pumping their storage tanks into his truck. They think he got hundreds of thousands of gallons before being caught.

Last edited:
There have been three major reports of major fuel theft folks that were caught here in Colorado. One was a person who used to work for a company that calibrated fuel pumps at service stations. He quit and bought a box truck. Apparently the company did not take back their equipment and he had a device that would override the pumps normal operation. He put a fake fuel fill portal on the side of the truck, would pull into a fuel station, use the device to turn on the pump for "testing" and proceed to pump gas into the fake fill. To the people at the station it looked like he was just filling up with gas. He had a cohort inside the box truck that was putting the fuel into containers in the truck. They believe he got tens of thousands of gallons before being caught.

s.econd instance was a fellow with a box truck that put a hatch in the bottom. would park the truck over the area where the underground tanks are normally filled from. while he was pretending to do legitimate stuff a fellow inside the truck would open the hatch, and then open the fill ports on the tanks, drop a well pump down and pump from the underground tank into his tank inside the truck.

Third was a fellow who bought a fuel delivery truck. He painted it like a local fuel delivery company, and in the cover of broad daylight just drive around to all the farmer's tanks acting like he was delivering when in fact he was pumping their storage tanks into his truck. They think he got hundreds of thousands of gallons before being caught.
Sign of our time. Just different. I believe just more inventive theft then before. But because the media concentrates on the negative more then the positive we hear about it.

Definitely all 3 of your examples are inventive. Sounds like they got too greedy which of course is how most get caught

TomO

I'm hearing of fuel theft in the LA area. Thieves will drill a hole in the gas tank, drain the gallon or so that they can carry then leave the rest to drain out. Along with the loss of the whole tank of fuel, the victim has to repair their gas tank and the community has to deal with the gas run off into the sewer system or surrounding area. Fricken thoughtless people.
During the gasoline shortages of the 1970s, people were doing that in fine suburban neighborhoods, as well as "da hood". Some of those apprehended, were not the stereotype criminal type, but your resentful neighbors. That'swhen I started keeping my cars in the garage. Can'ttrust anyone.

Wow, so much to comment on!

I've been very busy, but I have managed to keep up on the posts in the coffee shop. I prefer this coffee shop over the TV news.

Sherrel, I don know where you grew up but for me I don't see the change. In fact the "mean streets" I grew up on seem safer these days. No more Columbian neck ties, or undercover police being shot in broad daylight.
Baltimore media goes on and on about the murder rate. Nobody mentions who is being killed. I don't buy, sell or distribute drugs. I have nothing to worry about in any neighborhood. Professional criminals avoid conflict with innocent people, it's bad for business. Drug addicts, all bets are off!
Why can't we ask "why was your child on this corner at 2am?". I feel safer and more welcomed in the " hood".
Fuel theft... I've been consulting independent fuel haulers for years. They have always been concerned about being hijacked. Drop off that load ASAP! Only difference now, we are all watching the price of fuel. The media knows it is a hot button.
Never leave any loaded truck unattended. I've heard of a load of Campbell's soup being stolen! Drag the tractor out of the way and take the entire load, trailer and all.
I believe most crimes are crimes of opportunity. Give many an easy mark and they will take advantage. Many take advantage of the under paid, over worked. Maybe now more than ever. I see that as a crime.
In my opinion, the buyers of stolen goods are every but as bad as the thieves!
I know many consider me a liberal, but I say cut off the hands of convicted thieves! If you can find an honest prosecutor and judge that is.
I better get off this rant before I say something that offends somebody. If I have not already. 😁

I'll end with this "there is nothing new under the sun"

Well, Howdy There internet peeps who still purchase their own gas/petrol

It's Troy again.

Here with a PSA:

If you normally find yourself saying "I don't give a horse's ... uh... rear end" about that.

I'm here to help.

Thanks to my 3D printer, I can print out as many Horse's Rears as you need.

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 1.14.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 1.15.36 PM.png

email me if you need a gross or two. 🤪

Afternoon all,

Got the crabgrass preventer dow and the henbit and 3 dandelions sprayed. I will say the dandelion population is way smaller that it used to be. Still a bit early for the birdseed, but I'm sure I'll have some to spray in a few weeks.

Steve: Take care of that knee the earlier you fix it the better you'll be.

Good afternoon. Heading back to the nursing home for a while.
Back in the late 1970s-early 1980s, the area I was living kept getting their cars "hit" by gas thieves. My car, at the time a 1970 Ford Galaxy 500 (which had a large tank, and the appetite to use it) got hit once. After that, I went to my neighbor, a cattle farmer, and asked if he had a spare electric fence module. He did, and I hooked it up to my car. A couple of nights later, I heard an ungodly scream. I came out of the house after getting dressed, and found the tools of the trade, along with gas running out of my tank through a hose onto the ground--with a puddle of fresh vomit next to it. Looked like the thief lucked out when he opened the gas flap and cap, but his luck ran out about the time the gas hit his mouth.
For those that don't know, an electric fence module will pulse high voltage at intervals. I'm probably lucky the car didn't blow up, but I never had an issue with gas thieves again.

Back in the late 1970s-early 1980s, the area I was living kept getting their cars "hit" by gas thieves. My car, at the time a 1970 Ford Galaxy 500 (which had a large tank, and the appetite to use it) got hit once. After that, I went to my neighbor, a cattle farmer, and asked if he had a spare electric fence module. He did, and I hooked it up to my car. A couple of nights later, I heard an ungodly scream. I came out of the house after getting dressed, and found the tools of the trade, along with gas running out of my tank through a hose onto the ground--with a puddle of fresh vomit next to it. Looked like the thief lucked out when he opened the gas flap and cap, but his luck ran out about the time the gas hit his mouth.
For those that don't know, an electric fence module will pulse high voltage at intervals. I'm probably lucky the car didn't blow up, but I never had an issue with gas thieves again.
Now that's extreme but effective.:eek:

unfortunately, if ya did that now, you would be the one riding to jail for creating a trap while the perp was getting himself a lawyer to sue you for all that you own.

Having no sympathy with thieves I may look into copying lol, our police warned us not to lock the fuel access as thieves usually arrive with drills as back up,so if they don’t have easy access,they drill through ugh thr tanks ruining them as well, nyw a liittle ac dc seems a nice surprise …grins.

Good evening, all! Well the last of the family just left. We had the entire family here, except 2. It was the first time since all this pandemic crap started. It was so nice to see everyone interacting like nothing had changed. Sitting with a scotch, reflecting on the great day. Did run a few trains for the grand and great grand kids.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back