Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,

You'd think this old man would have remembered to take some ibuprofen before he started. Got the yard mowed, 2 passes once high and a 2nd pass lower so the dead stuff is off and gone. Fixed the rider and did the back yard one pass shorter than normal (I always do the first mow or 2 shorter than normal. ) I got the garden space cleared out, and edged and trimmed the entire yard.

Hope this actually comes to fruit.
20220326_115656.jpg

It has more friends coming.....

Good afternoon. Managed to wade through the boxes to get to the confuser.

Joe - Nice to see your photos again. It has been a while.

Sherrel - For me, that was starting to get crowded. It was not why I returned to Montana for. Unfortunately I just can't open the door and let the dogs out like I used to. I will have to make a few adjustments and put them on a leash and take them for a walk. For a quick walk I can just take them outside and walk around the building, but there is a large park just a few blocks away that I take them to a few times a day. Lets me get some exercise also. One thing I will have to get used to is locking the door. About the only time we locked the door at the old place is when we were going on a trip. I also found it convenient to get to places around town. The longest trip I had after getting here was to the town of Troy to get the computer repaired. The ast time I fueled up was in Kalispell, 90 miles away. Ran daily errands to the courthouse to register to vote and change the address for the vehicle registration. The grocery store is less than half a mile away. In the two weeks that I have been here I still have half a tank of gas.

Willie - As usual, I always enjoy your photos. Look forward to them.

Patrick - Things here are also turning green. I'll have to get used to the area weather. I was above 5,000 feet before and on the east side of the divide and now the altitude is 2,050 and I am on the west side. A longer growing season and somewhat shorter winters. That growing season will be for my son when he gets moved up here. Was 65 here yesterday.

Terry - I did miss what happened with your wife, but I do hope that she is able to come home soon.

I am not far from the tracks of the northern tier of the BNSF as the tracks are probably around a quarter of a mile away. There are no grade crossings in town but at night I can just barely make out the growl of the locomotives.

Guess all of my photos now will be from the archives as the Logan Valley no longer exists.

00002.jpg
thumbnail_20180617_135438.jpg

0001.jpg
Herd of Alcos.jpg
IMAG0810.jpg

Later

AWW, CHET -- Seeing the Logan Valley brings a tear to my eyes. This might have been the year that we made it to see you! Don't know for sure as the Spousal Unit has several cruises that she wants to catch up on. I guess that I am gonna have to renew my PP as it has expired? I am not a cruise person - after 3 days I am ready to get off as I have explored the ship and stuffed myself too much!

Good afternoon. Managed to wade through the boxes to get to the confuser.

Terry - I did miss what happened with your wife, but I do hope that she is able to come home soon.

Later
Chet, my wife suffered a heart attack a few weeks ago. After receiving 3 stents, she was released to go home after a week. When she got home, her condition deteriorated to the point she had to go back to the hospital. They discovered a UTI, she spent another week in the hospital, now she's at a nursing home, hopefully getting OT and PT so she can return home.

Chet, my wife suffered a heart attack a few weeks ago. After receiving 3 stents, she was released to go home after a week. When she got home, her condition deteriorated to the point she had to go back to the hospital. They discovered a UTI, she spent another week in the hospital, now she's at a nursing home, hopefully getting OT and PT so she can return home.
Sorry to hear this. You are obviously very dedicated to your wife. Hoping the best for her and you both and that she gets home soon.

Good Morning All. Clear and 48° here in tornado alley. Supposed to get to 82° his afternoon and 90° tomorrow. Yesterday was 80° which is freaking out the cold weather plants in the garden, like lettuce and spinach. we have four more days of this before returning to normal mid-70's weather. Trees are budding out everywhere after the rain Monday, weeds in parts of the front yard are begging to be mowed.
I am still pruning some trees here as I got behind in February. I know that it isn't the ideal time for it, but it has to be done.

I know that I have posted in the past about a newer neighbor of ours who took over a 100 acre parcel of land just south of us. He decided to turn this mixed woods/pasture land into a country estate. This is the guy who uses a weedeater along 1000' of barbed wire fence along the road frontage. He and his wife moved a couple of older restored houses onto the property sorta in the back and then had to spend $34K to build a gravel driveway. Then he spent another $45K to build a lake near the front gate that cost another $25K. The lake has a fountain in it! He has done a few other things according to some craftsmen acquaintances of mine. Bottom line is that the county tax assessor finally discovered the improvements and reassessed the place and revoked the agricultural exemption for nearly 60 of the acres. This will cost him dearly, probably to the tune of $35K a year!:( So what does he do? He bought four Texas Longhorn cattle and fenced off what I estimate to be about 35 of those 60 acres to regain part of the ag exemption. He also had to rip out part of the driveway to install cattle guards to keep them away from the houses. I'm still not too sure why they brought in two houses unless he and his wife (who actually owns the property) live apart.

Thanks to all for the comments and likes regarding the motley collection of pizza joints; Steve J, IB Ken, Troy, Dave B, Sherrel, OB Ken, Curt, Tom, Hughie, Rick, Patrick, Louis, George, Tom O, Joe, Guy.

I started a new project yesterday out in the train shed. It is on my very long list of things to complete. In an area where I just dropped off completed structures, I have this "Hot Rod Garage"
This is what it looks like on the layout.
View attachment 143669
It looks entirely different under the workbench lighting.
View attachment 143670
First step was making and painting a full base for it, which I don't normally do.
View attachment 143671
Added an LED interior bulb.
View attachment 143672
Mounted it and started with some details that I have hanging around.
View attachment 143673

View attachment 143675
View attachment 143676
I still have a few more details and figures to add today.

Sherrel - I forgot to comment, but that is one hell of a beautiful lemon tree. I hope that your options trading went successfully. I jumped back into my ETF's about two weeks ago and have regained about 25% of what I lost earlier in the year. Some I never got out of completely.
Steve J - I don't know anyone personally that does P:87, but I have read that it is a real PIA. On top of that, who knows except the builder? I'd rather have fun.
Troy - Yes, carnitas! Can't believe that you had never tried them. I make them all of the time, easy to make. Cube up a pork shoulder, marinate overnight in a dry marinate of toasted cumin seed/chile pepper/oregano and then braise them in the morning. Add to a crock pot and cook for a few hours. PM me if you want the complete recipe.
Guy - T. J. Reilly's really looks good. Doo-Wop, I didn't know too many other folks liked that stuff. I really enjoy it.
Joe - Escalades are a little out of my era, but I understand the significance.

It's Saturday for those who still have to work, so enjoy the day off.
Everybody have a great day. Tonight I'm grilling fajitas.
Willie- Do you have any female mechanics at the garage?

Last but not least is Pizzaland. I recently posted pictures of this laser-cut wood kit.
Is that the one that is supposedly modeled after the one in the opening episode of the Sopranos?

Louis - Further comments on music - I liked Lemmy's time with Hawkwind prior to Motörhead, but lost some interest after that. I still think that he is an excellent bass player but some of their overall sounds did not impress me. You since brought up Ian Gillan, who is much better known for his work with Deep Purple than the single album and tour with Black Sabbath. Sweet Child in Time and Smoke on the Water being two of my favorites that he wrote. Ronnie James Dio has always been impressive, but for me it's more for his work with Rainbow than Black Sabbath. Guitarist Tommy Iommi however is on my all time top ten list. Many of the other bands you mention in post #1262 to me are indistinguishable from one another, same chords, same rhythm, same head-banging vocals. I once went to a concert in the early 80's featuring Metallica as the headliner along with Def Leppard and The Scorpions, and could barely tell the difference between the three of them. That concert is probably why I wear hearing aids today!
I think that most of us favor the music that we grew up with more than other genres. My years are mainly 1958-1980.
Music. I guess I am on the opposite end of the spectrum from Louis. I bought a few albums and "tried" to bands like Hawkwind, because I thought as a teen I was "supposed" to. When in fact, Like SantaFe Willie, I found it monotonous. For me to enjoy music I need real melodies, counter melodies, good harmonies, actually singing rather than chanting or yelling. Likewise I rejected the music of my early teen years like the Beatles (gag). I can hardly stand to listen to stuff recorded before 1974 or so anymore. Despite building a fairly large collection of quadraphonic albums in the 1970s I have not sat down and actually just listened to music like I used to for decades. Mostly just have the TV on in the background. Can 't say how many pieces of various movies I've seen parts of (often the same part over an over) but never seen the whole thing.

My news is that I finally got back to volunteering at the Greeley Museum. Not been able to make it because of the move from Colorado to Kansas. I ran a few trains and then after hours helped trouble shoot and fix an electronics issue in the signalling system. One turnout would not signal that it was set for the main. That would have meant that the computers could not have run the layout tomorrow. Felt good to actually be of service.

Last edited:
I retired once and couldn't afford the health insurance (especially with an ill wife), so started my 2nd career.
I know your happy, and the relationship with your wife has strengthened, I am just sad that you were forced out of retirement because of protecting her health, many work so hard all their lives, to hopefully buy their homes and have a little time to sit back and enjoy, but so many now are dying before retirement age, and are left with debts and bills that suffocate them,i I am so glad yo found a way forward.

We laugh but this is seriously becoming a thing, and once again fuel thefts will rise, if you have an outside fuel store, diesel usually but even wood etc, consider a camera if you can, with an alarm, but at worst think a small solar light, and if possible have the store so you can see and be aware, I have seen people use mirrors to see around corners for cars, and these could be used to divert a light to your home if the store is not in a good line of sight, as these fuel bills hit, so will those who are dishonest.

also I called the police, and discussed an issue and he said there has been people caught who are regularly siphoning off neighbours fuel with small hand held fuel tanks so that people think that their bill is just high, and not realising rather than one big hit, they are being systematically thieved from by small regular amounts, sighs,

if you have book cases or tall furniture if you put it on outside walls it improves your insulation, old pillows or old cloths in old pillows or old duvets can be made into draft excluders.
If you resort to burning wood,which you do not do often,ensure the wood is dry, and preferably have a carbon monoxide detector, and if in a room burning coal or wood, and you start coughing this is a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning! I know this from personal experience and our alarm calling out the fire brigade!

If you regularly sit down to tv of an evening and are being hurt by bill raises, take a blanket or duvet and wrap it around you,so that you can lower the heating a little,.

sorry to be so negative, but I see the cost of living hurting people, who will resort to whatever, and we had best protect ourselves against this.

Morning all,

43° and cloudy, going for a high of 60°. Light winds mean they will be doing the prescribed burns of the Flinthills. Keeps the grasslands clear of trees and is actually beneficial.

Stiff from everything I did yesterday. Still have more to do today. I also got the snowblower stored away yesterday. Usually wait until mid-April, but long term predictions say the snow is mostly done here until late fall.

BBL

Good Morning
It's only 5:35am, but I'll head outside and shovel the walk again before breakfast. 24F out there this morning with a couple of inches of new snow. We're supposed to get hit harder tonight.

I'm not going to hang around on the computer. Thought I might start putting down some cork track-bed onto the layout tables.
Here is where I left it yesterday, after assembling the last table:
LayoutConst_03-26-2022 (1).JPG

LayoutConst_03-26-2022 (2).JPG

Just the swing gate left to go on the tables. I don't want a duck-under.
Final dimensions are 10'x12'. I can extend the 10' side another 40", but, thought the layout was big enough. It will take a-lot of modelling to cover what is there.

Well, I'll go shovel snow. Have a good one!

Greetings all,

Took the time offered my wifeykins going to nails place with youngest dau to get a few things done around the house. Last was to prepare the fascia to cover the west edge. Went to Home Despot and got some 1/4 inch thick board for a spacer as somehow the foam sheet was overhanging that side. Faulty craftsmanship, no doubt. Then got the rattle can out and took it and the fascia piece outside to spary. No good - very windy. Into the garage, even though we were way under the necessary temp. Sprayed in there and brought in the fascia to dry downstairs. Wife gets home, and unbeknownst to me, has a strong dislike for the smell of rattle can paint! Strange, 'cause I kinda like it. Fire up the fans.

Stalling with that story because I don't want to talk about my knee. Doc says torn meniscus. Says I can try PT, but with my mods to exercise regimen, I pretty much have for the six weeks. Next best step is MRI and a knee 'scope. Oh joy.

Have I mentioned that I am madly, afraid of surgery? ... ... Which is weird for a guy whose wife has worked in surgery for 20+ years.

And the worst is ... ... ... Golf season is fixing to break into the Minnesota scene!

But, must say, after an afternoon of odd tasks around the house - - knee really hurt last night. Still wakes me up when I shift in the bed.

Wife says, go at my own pace. Will contact Doc Monday to schedule MRI. But when? Not doing surgery before .... next weekend (wife and I going away to a B&B for R&R); Easter (obvious for a Lutheran Pastor); End of April (joining wifeykins during her business meeting in Dallas TX at the Gaylord hotel as it is out Anniversary (38 years). So, early May? Maybe a 3 month recovery time and I get back out on the links in Aug/Sep?

"Fecal Matter!"

sorry all - - - just ranting. Enjoy your days, Steve J

I'm hearing of fuel theft in the LA area. Thieves will drill a hole in the gas tank, drain the gallon or so that they can carry then leave the rest to drain out. Along with the loss of the whole tank of fuel, the victim has to repair their gas tank and the community has to deal with the gas run off into the sewer system or surrounding area. Fricken thoughtless people.

Good Morning All,

Yesterday was quite the busy day. I started out putting on the trim on the tower. After that with help from SIL we painted the crib and replaced the pool motor. What a pain in the derriere that was. All told we were at it for 4-5 hours and I see this morning I have some sunburn on my face. Today most the day will be spent doing a pet skunk rescue and follow-on transfer. The wife told me that she wasn't expecting me to be at the book fair this week! I said don't tease me :D. It's just as well, I have a lot of work to do on the pool this week after it sat for a couple of weeks.

Thank you for the photo likes the other day.

Hughie- Nice looking build and placement.

Smudge- I have done that with an "O" scale hopper.

Chet- Great to see you posting again. It looks like you and the pooches are getting back to normal slowly.

Joe- Thank you. Great photo.

Terry- I'm glad your wife is making positive progress.

Guy- Interesting sign. It has a 60's feel to it.

Steve- Sorry to hear about your knee. The longer you put off the repair the worse it may become.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Good Morning All. Clear and 48°, expecting to hit 90° later today. Quite warm for this time of year. That will change on Wednesday and we'll return to normal spring time weather with highs in the 70's. I am not jealous of those of you with fresh snow this week!

The hummingbirds have returned to the yard; I filled the feeders yesterday. They are the only feeders that I maintain. Mother Nature takes care of the rest; there's still plenty of dried sunflower and ragweed seeds in the stalks in the fence rows for everyone else. The geese and ducks flying north are stopping in the wheat field next door to snack on the grass. They're not really making much of a dent in it.

Thanks to all who commented on or liked my latest smallish project; Patrick, Smudge, Moermusic, Sherrel, OB Ken, Dave (PV), Guy, Joe, Hughie, Rick, Tom, Chet, Steve J, George, Louis, Mikey.

Some additional progress was made out in the train shed yesterday. Added additional details and the first figures. Details include the sewer stack on the roof and a half barrel with rags near the rear door.
IMG_0600.JPG

Out front is a chair and light fixture over the door.
IMG_0602.JPG
IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

While I am happy with this so far, I feel that it needs a little more improvement. I have to ponder over it for a few days.
Someone last month challenged me to make a horse drawn beer wagon, I think it was Smudge. While it isn't quite the same as the one originally pictured, I took up the challenge.
IMG_0604.JPG

No harness yet, but maybe.

OB Ken - Judging from your posts, you're really enjoying that new job. Seems like there is enough variety to keep it interesting.
Guy - With a little computer enhancing, you could easily make that Tom-Boy sign into one that you could print out and use on the layout.
Regarding the neighbor - I believe that one of the contractors turned him in to the assessor. He has a "better than thou" attitude towards tradesmen and angered at least two of them. He is also stupid to country living. I had to recently turn him in to the fire department for burning brush during a "burn ban" when the wind that day was nearly 35 mph and it hadn't rained in over a month. He did receive a citation but no fine for first time offense.
Benchwork looks really good.
Sherrel - Mil's property reads like a dream come true. But you're probably correct that it would fetch quite a small fortune if sold. Who knows, she might give it to you in her will.
Patrick - Funny how I never remember to take the ibuprofen until after the fact.
Mikey - No female mechanics yet! But I am looking for a suitable one. The male one in the picture above is there with re-positionable glue so he is easily moved out of the way.
Iron Horsemen -
Is that the one that is supposedly modeled after the one in the opening episode of the Sopranos?
Yes it is.
Steve J - Hope that you get well soon. I dislike surgery or any other medical procedures, not out of fear, but the because of the time and scheduling issues.

So today is when the UK starts their version of Daylight Savings Time. Good luck to all of you.
Everybody have a wonderful day. Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back