Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Gary, this is as far as I've gotten so far in attempting to transfer your track plan into a track planning software tool: I put grid lines across your drawing, so I (or anybody who is faster at drawing trackplans?) can at least determine boundaries for the benchwork as a starting point.
GaryRussellsTrackPlan.gif

Truth be told, I doubt I'll have enough spare time to do this thing in XtrkCad...sorry if I falsely raised your expectations!

Last edited:
No problem at all IronBelt, thank you for your tips already. Several great model railroaders have given me assistance and it’s all greatly appreciated! As you assumed, I am working with 22 inch outer loop and the about a 19 1/2 on the inner roughly, wanted the 2 inch centre to centre but like everyone suggested, that would be too tight in the curves.

Gary R:
Without knowing the size of the room and placement of the layout in the space , its difficult to know if they're are going to be any issues . At the risk of sounding like a broken record , you need to watch your reach over distances , its easy to draw something on the computer , but if the distance to reach something is 48 " and your arm is only 30" , building it and maintaining it can be almost impossible.

I think the number of tracks or length in the yard may be a bit optimistic even with #4s , it needs to be layed out or put into CAD to know for sure.
I agree, this is an important point you arm reach will be significant in the event of derail and time to time maintenance,you can increase this by having either a small area you can rest one hand on for stability allowing you to lean further this is very useful if you do scenic detail right to the front,and/or you can add a scenic detail like a building on a card base that is disguised by ballast,it can then be lifted and replaced in the. Event you need to lean in,also the tunnel is important as you need to reach in and solve issues that could occur inside you could leave a space undeneath but we found to our cost this is harder than you think and manipulation of arms tools retrieving rolling stock,so your tunnel should preferably allow your arms to get in Hal distance which will involve you almost lying on the layout! So consider a tunnel frame that is itself lift on off,this is a pain and may or may not prove to be seriously worthwhile,you are running 100 so the track should actually be pretty reliable for both modern and older locos and rolling stock,a lot of people moan about 200 but it is pretty bomb proof for rolling stock,consider the height of the layout the lower it is the more you can lean over but harder to get under and sit under,but a mounting block you can safely stand on - I emphasis safety and not fall off! Would increase this in the rare event,but in my experience you are always likely to discover issues you never thought of,we have ripped out almost all of our tracks for various reasons until we decided on a track on base with lift off foam so we can easily lean over,that side since we have resorted to this we have overcome most issues and rarely need o..I have further comments so will reply to you direct.

No problem at all IronBelt, thank you for your tips already. Several great model railroaders have given me assistance and it’s all greatly appreciated! As you assumed, I am working with 22 inch outer loop and the about a 19 1/2 on the inner roughly, wanted the 2 inch centre to centre but like everyone suggested, that would be too tight in the curves.
The curve issues are particularly important and I overlooked it because my rolling stock is in general smaller, but the important factor here is you are trying to replicate a real place,so there is a real desire to try several bits of this,if there is insufficient space for all the tracking centre in and lose part a backscene with a low relief can infer the part you cannot fit, and in this instance the turntable if part of the real p,ace becomes more important, you may have done this already,but could I ask you if you have pictures of what you are modelling seeing pictures of the actual place will enormously help to keep the essence intact while offering running options, you may even which a fold up or lift out area that is not in permanent situ to help accommodate either running track or part of the scenic area, these could open option a look at the space this will be site and the preferred orientation in the room may open up options, I have seen people overcome obstacles in various ways,some have even cut a hole in a wall to accommodate a track curve then bring it back into the room then hide the track or use as a display area in the adjacent room,where there’s a will there’s a way

we even ripped out the whole of our Goathland and turned it 180 degrees this benefited us in numerous ways, the scenery choices,the road led onto Goathland village,the track change allowed a couple of tracks to run hidden under the Goathland area going from other stations, it would be unusual to have the tunnel near you, but there may even be an argument when copying a real place people will go that extra mile, I have seen people add mirrors in order to obtain photographic angles although nowadays with our phone cameras this is rarely seen, and with a selfie stick you can get sone superb otherwise difficult to solve shots, so far the most important points to my mind are 1. Your curves, 2. The parallel tracks having safe passing points on running stock, thus Santa fe s comments on this therefore is of prime importance - in my opinion. The last thing you want is to find that a. Reversing more than moving forward, b. Have room between tracks for essential safe movement space, and scenic detail fitting between said tracks such as signals of track control that are on the real life site,and inevitably model scenic needs more space....I say this because we googled set the sizes as per the real satellite sizing then the track just did not fit...now I am 00 which is a stupid compromise part 4mm and part 3.5mm whereas H0 is more accurate but still trackside detail is often oversized so you are likely to need to widen track for safe playability.
But your idea is good and you are in totally the right place to consider all these factors rather than later hitting a brick wall, last thing for the moment test bedding this on a virtual railway will be beneficial and for an experienced user (not me I hasten to say I prefer on the board play and design) someone with the sizes could do a ‘quick’ tester for you and then link it for you to view,IF none here can then a quick visit to a site that does this is likely to find someone willing to trial it for you. really enjoying this, do you have a thread also to keep this for reference although from my recent questions these threads will keep this discussion safe for you to peruse as you move forward, and good luck,do not get despondent over all the negatives,once you move past this will ensure you have a much more robust design,so wish I had so many people willing to support us we did so many things wrong lol.

Last edited:
C2F227AE-F08C-498A-AD52-B817F68265BD.jpeg

further to the modelling a real place, this was our initial design, we had bought the station THEN found out that it was the Harry Potter, The Heartbeat TV series that it was a preservation station
6571724A-6D68-4B78-B6F5-1260FA0D2F41.jpeg

just prior to tearing it all out and turning it 180 degrees, the whole area is fixed glued down
0362C340-57BC-4503-9365-6214C74BAE0B.jpeg

the replacement, notice bottom print of satellite of the station - this exists now so is really helpful, there are grids on it and see the grid on the new frame work for size reference,remembering everything so had to widen so the tracks actually fit! All this flat surfaces can be bared in the even of a real need,
4CDF5C10-42AA-4287-8246-1F7E606D851D.jpeg

foam joins normally carefully avoided in pictures, loose greener usually hides joins, any thing purely scenic can be removed quickly baring a few exceptions the foam wall by the water feature had to be pinned in place and is glued in places too to protect it from damage but it does not restrict access to the skeleton of the layout, this also involved the whole scenic area rising and losingmost of the original hand painted backscene which was now not required so just sits under scenery, joins are usually placed away from important parts of photographic interest means it is easier to not damage them in the event of removal, this also leaves strong frame work to lean on if ever necessary. there is also a buffer point at the back allowing for vegetation in 3D form which offers better photographic results only an inch or two required, for this long term benefit. Also as there are no low relief buildings here so there is no limitations on angles so that low relief buildings do not restrict angles for photographic opportunities,to my mind low relief options are best as long shots where angles can best benefit or close to the edges of layouts where they can mostly be avoided altogether, however when not a prototype station this is less important and elsewhere i too have loads of low relief,plus low relief half relief with tracks etc can be done quite successfully just photograph carefully, I have seen people cut good resin buildings in half to achieve this...faints....
its All in the eye of the beholder, and end of day never forget the most important fact.....it is YOUR layout, and need only fit YOUR desires and NoT other peoples,never be bullied to fulfill other people requirements, just make yourself happy, otherwise you will not be happy, and life is too short. I have seen simple layouts, old Duplo designs, punk steam sci fi designs,all bring joy to their owners and others, and this hobby is about joy and finding the parts of it YOU like and enjoy. Anything less is madness.

Last edited:
Morning all,

Clearing and 60° this morning with a high near 80° for later. Red flag fire warnings are up for the area as current wind gusts of 40-45 mph and expected to 55 mph later today. Storms, possibly severe are in tap for the area over night and into tomorrow morning.

Not much done around the trains lately. With the boy moving some stuff out of the basement to his house my work table has moved to accommodate other stuff being moved out, all without losing stuff from the workspace.

And on a side note for those that like deer, my hunting buddies back yard this weekend
View attachment 125787

And where are those critters when it's hunting season??? 🤣

Morning!
We're into a cool day at 15°, which is just the arctic air trying desperately to make a last stand. It will be pushed back to whence it came by the weekend.
I've just come in to have a coffee before getting back to the layout room reno today.

Good evening. Ebay has opened a non-payment case against me for the item they refused repeatedly to allow me to pay for.
The saga continues...
Ebay has become such a monster compared to when I started using it in 2004. They keep changing things, and it don't seem to be for the better.
Since they changed the payout method, and boasted it would be faster, I am now waiting 7 days for a payout. With paypal, I had access to funds immediately.
Even today, I have $350.00 from a recent sale floating around in cyberspace that I can't see. The worst part of it is, that one can't seem to talk to a real human when vainly trying to negotiate their contact system.
Terry - Sadly, you are presently suffering at the mercy of an impenetrable monster. - Let us know how it turns out.

Here's today's photo drop; yet another re-run from the spring of 2020:
SD40's_2020.JPG

Thanks for all the likes on my posts, friends! And keep up the wonderful posts you all input!!
Have a good one!

And where are those critters when it's hunting season??? 🤣

I saw lots of deer this hunting season....sadly the two I could actually shoot were does, and I have a buck only license.
Many deer were seen in the fields after dark on our way home of course.....lol

I consistently use the excuse that I am at the hunting camp for the comradery, and time with my best friend that lives a few hours away......

Jaz,

I cant believe you reversed that entire section.....what a task !

I am very constrained in my location as it is my main utility room and access to my furnace room, doors at both ends of the room and my water tank in the corner that I have to have access to.

10x10 is my max space for now, but the layout is on wheels so that I have maximum 2 foot reach distance any place on the layout. The centre of that layout will be 1/4 L braced plywood with a foam ww2 supply ship with this section being removable.

top portion of the layout will represent Halifax Intercolonial train station and the bottom section will represent Dartmouth NS on the opposite side of Halifax Harbour, a double mainline goes around the basin out to Windsor Junction (near where I grew up) and back into Dartmouth. My main requirement is to model the train station. The rest is all optics and train running and gravy .

Attachments

• Intercolonial station Narrow and standard gauge.PNG
    Intercolonial station Narrow and standard gauge.PNG
    3 MB · Views: 99
  • 200715759.jpg
    200715759.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 95
Good evening. Ebay has opened a non-payment case against me for the item they refused repeatedly to allow me to pay for.
The saga continues...

Ebay's policies and changes into the corporate monster that is has become is the reason I stopped selling on ebay a few yeas ago. I still buy there but not as much as I used to. I've got several engine to sell, I may just peddle them on FB marketplace or the local auction house. Ebay is too much of a P.I.T.A.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 62° on the way up to 75° this afternoon. Clouds might clear briefly this afternoon, but the 20 mph+ winds will not subside until Sunday. Thundershowers in the forecast for the weekend. Slightly cooler next week for St Patrick's Week. Yes, a whole week for us Irishmen!

I'll take a couple of sausage and cheese biscuits this morning Flo. Large OJ to wash it all down with.

Thanks for the likes regarding yesterday's archival photos: Justin, Rick, Guy, Gary, Chad, Dave, Karl, Hughie, Tom O, Patrick, Phil, James, Jaz, Sherrel, Ken, Tom, Gary S, Jerry.

I didn't spend as much time in the train shed yesterday as I wished, but I got a lot accomplished. I added ballast to the passing siding on one end between the industry tracks and main line that I did Monday.
IMG_5762.JPG

The blank spot there is for a grade crossing. Still need to do those two switches in the lower left corner and the one just past the grade crossing.on this end. I did do one switch just out of the picture on the left. They are no something that I get into a hurry to do.
While that area dried, I did part of the main and some more industry track on the other end.
IMG_5763.JPG

I do tracks in non-adjacent sections, so I don't disturb my work before it dries. Don't bother asking how I know to do this. Today will start with tidying up yesterdays work and doing a switch or two as well as a bunch of main line.

Bryan - Welcome. Not used to seeing you here in the Coffee Shop. It's good to get away from the drafting table every once and a while.
Guy -
I noticed that 1970 Mustang in your photos right off the top. I used to bomb around in one in my younger years. Worked hard to get that car.
I liked those cars back then. two different neighborhood buddies would take me to school and home in their '66 and '69 'tangs. In the 60's and early 70's I could not afford a car at the time, and dad wasn't about to gift me one either.
Justin - Your ballast looks real good.. Do you ever plan to weather your coal hauling locomotives? Not that there is any rush, I have weathered less than 5% of my power.

Everybody have a great day.

Last edited:
I liked those cars back then. two different neighborhood buddies would take me to school and home in their '66 and '69 'tangs.

I had a 69 Mustang, my one sister had a 70, my dad had a 67, mom had a 66, and my cousin (next door) had a 65. Yeah, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a Mustang. Between the F150s, Torinos and Mavericks the 2 households were all Fords. That was until some rebellious punk kid came home with a new Pontiac. (me)

BTW, that Mustang in Willies picture is a Monogram Mini-Exacts model. Nice model of a 69 Sportsroof stang. I've got several just like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back