Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon Everyone......Sunny but cool, but at least no snow.

The plans to go down to the train fell flat today when Cathy decided to go shopping and I got to puppy sit for three hours. Riley was a sound sleep for most of the time. So I spent my time on the computer and watched model railroad videos. Well being retired there's always tomorrow.

I really wanted to try James and Karl's suggestions to cure my DCC woes. I really should have a lap top in the train room of my own to use my Digitrax PB-4. Think I'll look at the Best Buy web site for cheap lap top with Windows 10. I'm afraid that decoder manufactures in the future will become more proprietary in decoders and we'll ended up with a bunch of different programs and programmers to change CV's other than addresses.

My new Kadee uncouplers for Code 83 track came today. It sure would be easier to just apply a drop or two of adhesive and place the uncoupler in position. No need to cut the rails like when using the Code 100 uncouplers. Kadees are my couplers of choice and all my ore cars get retro fitted with Kadees since the cars are heavy and if I ever do a 100 car unit train, the couplers will need to be able to stay together. Cabooses are the exception.

That Utah Belt box car was still at $197.50 on E-Bay. It would be nice to have a Eric Brooman piece of rolling stock. I like to run cars from other roads and clubs on my layout. I do have a set of decals to do a box car for John Allen's G&D line.

Being pages for cards.....................

Greg

###################

Good Afternoon Everyone......Sunny but cool, but at least no snow.

The plans to go down to the train fell flat today when Cathy decided to go shopping and I got to puppy sit for three hours. Riley was a sound sleep for most of the time. So I spent my time on the computer and watched model railroad videos. Well being retired there's always tomorrow.

I really wanted to try James and Karl's suggestions to cure my DCC woes. I really should have a lap top in the train room of my own to use my Digitrax PB-4. Think I'll look at the Best Buy web site for cheap lap top with Windows 10. I'm afraid that decoder manufactures in the future will become more proprietary in decoders and we'll ended up with a bunch of different programs and programmers to change CV's other than addresses.

My new Kadee uncouplers for Code 83 track came today. It sure would be easier to just apply a drop or two of adhesive and place the uncoupler in position. No need to cut the rails like when using the Code 100 uncouplers. Kadees are my couplers of choice and all my ore cars get retro fitted with Kadees since the cars are heavy and if I ever do a 100 car unit train, the couplers will need to be able to stay together. Cabooses are the exception.

That Utah Belt box car was still at $197.50 on E-Bay. It would be nice to have a Eric Brooman piece of rolling stock. I like to run cars from other roads and clubs on my layout. I do have a set of decals to do a box car for John Allen's G&D line.

Being pages for cards.....................

Greg

###################
If you want good deals believe it or not Walmart has good deals on Dells for refurbished ones. I paid 400 and change with Windows 10.

Dell E6530 Core I7-3520m 2.9ghz/16384/25
Sold by ASN Depot, Inc.
$391.98

They run sale every other month on Dells rotating from each model etc. I got this because it was on sale and it has a SSD for hard drive 256 GB .
SSD are more reliable and dependable. plus quicker.

Online of course not in stores....

My 2 cents.

SAME THING around here, KEN. I have stared at this "Turbotax" program long enough- time to bite the bullet and see if I can do it myself. The "new" firm that took over my deceased tax man's firm wants another $50.00 added to the already $500.00 to do the same return - and they charge $170.00 an hour for "extras" (whatever that is?) I'll chance an audit! I had three audits myself back in the 70's and finished up getting a larger refund on all three!

Sherrel: Not for nothing, there is no reason why a retired couple has to pay someone $550 for tax preparation, unless you are sitting on a pile of hidden cash. I used H&R Blocks software.. for a SS Recipient without complications, it will work fine. (It comes up short for state Returns involving Railroad Retirement. TurboTax, is very similar and they also offer an add on state return ...even for good old Cali. And it ain't gonna cost you $550.

BTW I managed to get back $865 this year, Federal, and was not required to fie a NJ State return, (first time ever).

Good evening y'all. Today was another nice but chilly day here in Jersey. I knew it would happen, less than a week after our first Covid Shot, CVS announced it was taking appointments for the J&J version, a single dose version. We have appointments for 3/27 for the second dose. By that time, the state will be flooded with vaccine.

Spent time on the layout , I got my Atlas track cleaning machine working. Tomorrow, I'll fill up the reservoir with cleaning fluid, and run the cleaner around the layout.

Decided I need to be more active, so starting this morning I began doing the exercises I did in Physical Therapy. Hope to start walking tomorrow. Now that the weather is getting better.
CSXOCSat Moss Run VA 3-4-2021 - Jesse Smith.jpg

CSX OCS passing through Moss Run, VA on March 4, 2021. Photographer Jesse Smith. Properly painted in Traditional Baltimore & Ohio passenger colors as intended.

Good evening.
Has anybody else experienced this?
Today, I made a "best offer" for a locomotive on Ebay.
The seller accepted the offer.
I paid promptly.
Ebay voided the transaction.
Again.
Again.
Again.
Fourteen times and counting. Ebay won't respond as for any reason, and the only way I found out anything was after a 55 minute hold to talk to PayPal.
I pay for the item successfully, get confirmation, then a couple minutes later, I get an email from Ebay telling me I need to pay them again.

WOW, TERRY! Haven't seen/heard that one before?

I came upon this a few minutes back!

So, I thought I could "trick" the system. I added a caboose to the order of a locomotive. I successfully paid for both items.
A few minutes later, Ebay voided the payment for the locomotive, and left the sale of the caboose.
Ebay finally responded, and told me they're having problems, and try making the purchase again in 3-4 days. My response to that is, I made a best offer, and am required to complete the transaction within two days. Ebay assured me they would take care of any issues for me that result, implying that whatever happens to the seller, happens.

Good Morning Everyone. Clear and 54° for this Friday morning. Today should be about 10° cooler than yesterday's 74°, with mostly cloudy skies all day. Cool front will blow in tonight and we'll see an overnight low around 40°, seasonable weather for the next week or so. The usual busy day on the SFW estate yesterday after the weekly grocery/beer trek. Still stacking the firewood that's on the side of the driveway and tending to the early weeds in the garden. I'm getting behind on household chores which I will address this morning. One of the drawbacks of my wife still working.
The grocery/beer trek went well yesterday, only a few stock-outs mainly because I got there too early! No crowds and no wait at the checkout.

How about a chicken fried steak with southern cream gravy and hash-browns for breakfast for me this morning Flo.

Thanks for the reactions and comments regarding yesterday's post; Justin, Garry, Sherrel, Guy, Chad, Phil, Hughie, James, Tom O, Ken, Tom, Rick.

Managed to get two more flat cars detailed in the train shed yesterday. I added cribbage or blocking to this load on a Roundhouse 60' flat car, and added a little additional weathering.
View attachment 125641
Not a lot of weathering as this car has a build date of 1980.
Then on this Walther's 54' flatcar, I also added the load braces and tie-downs on the center box. It was already partially weathered and I enhanced that as well.
View attachment 125642
I have a few more to do before I get bored.
Looking at these pictures reminds me that this section of the layout still needs the track/ties painted and weathered, and ballast added. Hmmmh! Maybe the next big project!:) Of course then the pressure will be on me to do the scenery.

Troy - Nice to read that the vaccine is reaching down into the younger generation in your state. While here in Texas, they're still vaccinating those over 65, it appears that the Federal Government is moving educators up in the priority. Interesting because most of the smaller school districts and private schools here have been doing in-classroom classes without incident since September. Larger school districts with more powerful unions are still doing remote learning.
Good luck with the remodeling.
Jaz - "Well Known Member" is just an automatic thingy when one reaches a certain number of posts. It can be changed to anything that you wish. Click on your name in the top row and go to "Account Details" and change it there to anything that you want.

Regarding the discussion yesterday about Southwestern Omelets, take it or any other omelet and wrap it up in a big flour tortilla and it becomes a burrito. Fold it in a small tortilla and it becomes a taco. Deep fry the burrito and it becomes a Chimichanga, deep fry a small rolled-up taco and it becomes a taquito. Then there's tostadas, quesadillas, and numerous versions with corn tortillas. Tex-Mex food is mostly all the same, just different wrappers!

Today is National Absinthe Day. Yuck!
Everyone have a great day and an awesome weekend. Stay safe.
I have heard of and eaten most except for the taquito there used to be a passable US restaurant outside London which I visited several times,and some motorways have so called American restaurants although it is mostly burgers and chicken, we have a chain that does tex mex food but it makes my aunt and cousin shudder she married an American GI and jived inNewYork for years His family was of`Italian decent and she makes excellent pizza and seriously yummy home made pasta abd sauces no fried calzones though I did try that in London tasty but I prefer the normal chcargo style that said her home made outclasses any shop or restaurant.

oh where the tarp is the same color as the wood crates I would be tempted to painted the tarp a colour it undermines the wood look,your choice though it’s a small thing and do not ask me why i painted boxes green lol
E6565AE0-7A5F-4594-BE17-2D70160B77D0.jpeg

F79DF56A-A16D-4486-97DC-542EBD04EA51.jpeg
B58B4B1E-666A-437F-B35A-BAA5BF183408.jpeg

do not ask me why I painted some boxes green I must have had a mad moment

Good evening.
Has anybody else experienced this?
Today, I made a "best offer" for a locomotive on Ebay.
The seller accepted the offer.
I paid promptly.
Ebay voided the transaction.
Again.
Again.
Again.
Fourteen times and counting. Ebay won't respond as for any reason, and the only way I found out anything was after a 55 minute hold to talk to PayPal.
I pay for the item successfully, get confirmation, then a couple minutes later, I get an email from Ebay telling me I need to pay them again.
I would be scared it was a scam and they would empty my account totally weird

how on earth do I reply to more than one so it is just one reply instead őr loads of seperate posts, I know it must be simple .....

how on earth do I reply to more than one so it is just one reply instead őr loads of seperate posts, I know it must be simple .....
Highlight just the text that you want to reply to and a balloon box appears with the word "Reply" in it. Click it and that text appears in the Reply box on the bottom of the page; make your response and go back to the next one that you want to reply to and repeat. It appears below the one that you previously clicked on. Do this as often as you wish. When you are done, then it's time to click on the "Post reply" blue box in the lower right corner.

Good morning gang,
Happy Saturday all!
A sure sign of spring is upon us, the little black pussy ants have begun to appear. Time to retreat the front of the house, they somehow get in under the front porch.
Treatments seem to last 3-4 months before another colony invades.

Good Morning All. Clear and 40° here in North Central Texas, back into the mid-60's later today. Pretty much a repeat of yesterday without the 20 mph north winds. Kept busy with both household chores and outdoor activity yesterday. Perfect tee shirt weather for now.

Good day Flo. Please have Mel fix me a couple of sausage, egg and cheese breakfast burritos this morning. Of course a bowl of spicy salsa on the side.

Thanks for all of the likes on the pictures that I posted yesterday; Troy, Justin, Karl, Rick, Jim, Guy, Hughie, Tom O, Chet, Sherrel, Greg, Phil, Tom, James, Joe, Ken, Garry, Jaz.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I only worked on one flat car. It didn't need any load adjustments, just weathering.
It is another Athearn Blue Box 50' flat with a lumber load from Jaeger Models.
IMG_5728.JPG

I later just ran some trains again.
Meanwhile, as I noted yesterday, another looming project is to paint and ballast the track along the upper deck east wall where I have been staging these cars for photos. I usually wait some time after laying the track to verify that there are no operational issues, but this area has been successfully tested for over four years and it's time to get moving on it.
Here are a couple of shots from each end to show the scale of what I am about to undertake.
Looking south railroad wise.
IMG_5725.JPG

North.
IMG_5727.JPG

The area is ~14' x 2' and has 15 switches in it. The first order of business is to install the remaining six ground throws. Since the weather is nice outside, I will also replace the cardboard backdrop over the window with a permanent plywood one. I may do some more in this area, but I do not presently have enough structures to adequately complete it. Some of the ones along the layout edge will remain, some are just stored there.
More to come.

Tom O - I can relate to having too many projects going on at once. While I generally have two going at the same time, one at the workbench and one on the layout, I have had as many as five or six concurrently. A minor advantage is that if I get bored or frustrated with one, I can easily switch to another.
John (Ima Train Wreck) - Welcome to the Coffee Shop. Come back often if you are able.
Jaz - Some really nice paintings of the non-railroad stuff yesterday. The wall murals might be something to see as well.
Despite my living in the midst of a Tex-Mex food mecca, I prefer Italian food over Mexican fare any day. I make and pressure can my own pasta sauces with tomatoes from my garden every summer. I also make salsa with the tomatoes, garlic, peppers and onions as well.
I appreciate your suggestion regarding the tarp and wood coloring. I sometimes overlook simple things like that. Stay tuned.
Joe - Your post yesterday reminds me to ask, how's the knee doing six months after replacement? My wife's second replacement went much much better than the first one.

It is tax time of the year, time for my spouse to make money doing other people's taxes at H&R Block. She has pointed out that many of her early clients could easily do their own with the H&R Block or Turbotax software. If you file electronically and have direct deposit, your refund is usually there in less than a week. Ours last year was deposited in four days. She and other Blockheads make a lot of money doing rapid refunds for folks who are willing to forgo up to 25% or more of their refunds to Block and banks for this privilege. Of course even as simple as our tax return is, I'm last in line to have it done! We do the withholding carefully so we neither owe nor get a big refund every year. No sense in letting some bureaucrat use my money interest-free all year long. My wife also makes some good money since she is the only enrolled agent (EA) in her office, which qualifies her to do do farms, foreign income, rental property, deprecation and other more complex stuff. We don't really need the income, but she enjoys what she is doing.

Enough rambling for this morning. Everybody have a great Saturday.

Good morning from Wisconsin. It is sunny and the high should hit 44f degrees.

Taxes, Terry does our personal taxes and watches the books very carefully for the business. Those taxes are handled by a CPA. I don’t use cash for anything. I have a debit card for personal items and a credit card for everything else. The cards monthly billing systems can be viewed anytime and each payment goes right into a designated slot for taxes purposes.

Willie, the way you build buildings you can have those spaces filled in a month. I love doing the ballast work on my layout. I am not fast but not slow either. It just seems relaxing to me, building structures makes me nervous even after all these years.

Boris, great to see you posting again. That Moss Run picture is awesome.

Today at 1 I will watch on TV, yes it is plugged in, the #1 ranked UW Women’s Hockey team against nationally ranked #4 Minnesota. Conference championship final 4. Finals are tomorrow. Last year we were in Minneapolis for the event but limited spectators this year due to Covid. Had gone to this weekend event 5 years in a row till now.

Have a great day

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back