Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening, everybody.

Here is a picture of a modernized heavyweight dining / parlor car I built.

43109135044_6562a626ea_k.jpg

Cheers.

Nothing like going to bed irritated. Found one of my atlas snap switches broken out of the package. I didnt even notice when I bought it that the end rails on one side were bent in towards each other. The rails broke away from the end ties. Not something I did as they were still in the bag from the lhs by themselves. Theres only two turnouts in the bag. Atlas is really starting to get me more and more aggravated the longer I work with their track.

Good Morning gang!
24° and clear and breezy! Would you guys up north shut the refrigerator door please!!!

Flo, large coffee please. Better get me a stack of flapjacks with some bacon. I'm gonna need something to keep me warmed up!

Sherrel. glad to hear the baby is home!

L8ter gang!

Morning!

5:17am under a star speckled sky; 20°f headed up to 40°; what a beautiful day! I'm not going to waste it. I think I'll head out to the ice and catch a trout with the wife.
I'll have one coffee and be on my way!

I'll just leave one photo repost, and hope everyone here has a great and productive day!
IMG_8299 (2).JPG

Have a good one!

Good morning y'all. Trying to catch up. No time for the weather. it is always changing and doesn't matter anyway.

Flo- Coffee and extra bacon please, mine seems to keep disappearing faster than I recall eating it.

Never trust an electrician with the nickname “Shorty”.

Probably best to avoid "Sparky" as well.

I hope for your sake that was not one of your wife's good pans

Chad and Sherrel- Once upon a time I pretty much only drank Dew from the time my eyes opened in the morning until they closed again some time in the wee hours of the following morning. This was my daily routine for nearly 20 years. Now I can barely stand the taste of the stuff.

Sherrel- Glad to heat the good news on little Sawyer. Continued prayers for him and momma.

I haven't had time to break into the old place to finish reading the graffiti on the walls, so I'm sure I'm missing a few things. No rain in today's forecast, so I'm hoping to finish a job that has been dragging for nearly a month now so I can get the last of my pay. Finally got paid by one HOS management company, the others are dragging their feet. My landscaper buddy who has the maintenance contract for these places is always waiting for payment on services rendered. His $20k makes my $1k look like pocket change, but to a small company, like mine, that's a lot of cash. We have not resorted to mafia tactics...yet...but also have not ruled out the possibility...yet... as I can hear Lucille whispering from her place in the corner. 🤫 😂

Y'all have a blessed day. I gotta go get another cup of coffee and repent of my twisted sense of humor.

Morning all,

Clear and 29° with a high of 62° predicted for later.

One of the daughter's got the rest of adults (myself, 2 daughters and son) appointments for Covid shots on Thursday. 1 son-in-law has already had both doses and the other can't get away from work at this time. Traveling about 300 one way to get them, (adding about 35 miles to get the daughter west of Wichita) as the county we're going to has shots that won't be used otherwise. SIL has family there so there is that link that I think helped along with a general virus is a hoax feel in that particular county. I'm still waiting for my county to get to those 60 or above (currently still 70 and teachers and medical staff, no first responders, no first responder support staff, no one under 70 with pre-existing conditions). Glad to get the first dose, just not necessarily repeating the trip in 3-4 weeks.

Sherrel: Glad to hear the new grandson and mom are doing well. Congrats.

At 7:30am it was 28F. 27F when I got up around 6am. Looks like it will be sunny and forecasted to get to mid 50s and "partly cloudy". It may be a lunchtime nap time on the couch (which gets direct sunlight on it and is so nice and warm on these sunny days -- house is kept at 68F plus whatever we get from sun thermal energy, which often gets us to 72-74F if it is above 32F outside and 70-72F if below 32F outside).

Morning - It's 40 degrees out here and going towards 73 for a high with, once again, sunny skies - there is a very slight chance of scattered showers tomorrow?

Thanks for all the congrats and well wishes on the G-son. We feel very blessed with this one as the daughter has had full blown diabetes since the age of 7. She has a 13 YO son from her prior marriage, but her present husband really wanted a son even though he treats his stepson as his own. Several Doctors were about split on the daughter trying to have another being afraid of her diabetic complications. I have to admit that the last several days really gave us a scare to think that we could lose one or both of them.
One last blurb and I will hush about it! Even though at home now - The Doctors have requested isolation for a week to give the baby time to more fully develop his lungs. I think most of the family will participate in a "drive by" to see him, but not have contact other than visual.

It's a beautiful day here in Paradise -- but only if you don't listen to the news! 😎

Good Morning All. Perfectly clear and 38°, on the way up to 61° later today. Late start this morning as I stayed out late last night. Looks like a very settled down spring weather pattern coming up (for now), temps between 45° at night and 70° during the day, but with periods of stiff winds from time to time. It's time to clear the wintertime debris out of the yard, fallen branches, remaining caches of leaves and relocate some of the mud clods left by the plumbers. Back in the "back 40", there are still some major tree prunings that need to be sawed into firewood, as well as part of the cord of wood delivered last week that's still in a pile by the driveway and needs to be stacked. I haven't been too aggressive about moving it yet, but I have made a dent. It will feel good to get out in the sunshine and fresh country air and get some real exercise for a change. It will however take another hour or two to get rid of the odor left by a skunk who blasted somewhere close by last night.
Meanwhile today I will plant radishes in my slightly scaled back garden. No carrots or parsnips this year as it is too late to start them.

Hello Flo. How about some corned beef hash and two sunny side up eggs this morning for me. I'll take cranberry-grape juice this morning for a change of pace. Skip the English Muffin this morning.

Thanks for the many reactions and comments regarding the before/after shots posted yesterday; Garry, Dave, Sherrel, Alan, Tom O, Chad, Hughie, Greg, Karl, Patrick, Rick, James, Guy, Jaz, Justin, Gary, Tom, Phil.

I spent some time in the train shed yesterday afternoon. Not as much as I would have liked, but more than I have in about a week or two.
While I mainly ran trains, I also added the signs to the cardstock warehouse, so it now has a name, Precision Electronic Controls.
IMG_5690.JPG

IMG_5689.JPG

I have also decided on an ongoing project to do to keep busy. After reviewing some more flat car loads, I need to add cribbage, bracing and tie-downs to some.
First is one already done, a 40' Athearn Blue Box with a home made I-beam load made from Evergreen styrene shapes.
IMG_5699.JPG

And a few that need improvement.
A 63' Roundhouse flat with mixed Chooch loads.
IMG_5703.JPG

An Atlas 68' short bulkhead flat with other Chooch castings.
IMG_5700.JPG

And lastly for today, a Walther's 53' GSC flat with even more Chooch castings. I mixed and matched four or five different offerings.
IMG_5702.JPG

Look for these and others to make it over to the workbench over the next few weeks while I also finish off the warehouse details and select a spot on the layout to bring the scenery in line. I haven't forgotten that Williams '58 Bel Air that's waiting, I just haven't gotten back into the mood for it. Happens sometimes.

Jim - I believe that we nailed all of the leaks. I had the water company come out yesterday and check the meter to confirm it. He saw no movement over a five minute observation period. He used his electronic thingamajig!
Sherrel - Congratulations to all with the new addition to the family.
Tom O - The camera lady was my wife. She was keeping an eye on me while I was dancing with my brother's wife!
Hughie -
I didn't know that Mel trusted Willie with a key to the joint. Thanks for opening up.
I didn't need a key, but I had to pound on the door for a bit to get Mel's attention! Both Flo and Francine were late and he didn't want to cook and serve all at once! ;)
As usual, when I view the pic I see things I need to correct, re-position or just out and out remove.
I still do that on parts of the layout that are 5-6 years old!

I am concerned about two members who abruptly disappeared, Dave (logandsawman) got his new home and he is probably already negotiating for more train room. He has been known to disappear in the past.
However Curt hasn't been around for what seems like two weeks. His last post indicated that his Mom took a turn for the worse. Maybe Phil knows? I hope that both are doing OK.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Check it out .....another one of Eric Brooman's works.

I thought quite nice,then saw the price and almost fainted!

GUY - A nice photo this morning - I see that the LOCO (whatever it is?) was attracted to the pole!
I'm sorry that I cannot recognize any LOCO's later than a GP-35 - my bad! :eek:

JESSE - Be careful about getting too much credit out there - you work too hard to get stiffed!
Order some more bacon - I'll be back in a second?

Yeah, CHAD, JESSE, I couldn't live without my high test Coke Cola - several cans a day for 20 years, or more. Then I decided I liked Diet Dr Pepper for the next 20! Now I try to avoid most of the sugar if I can.

Willie - Glad to hear that things are slowly returning to normal for you. WHAT? No carrots or parsnips? Oh, the pain!
Did you purchase that firewood, or was it a "gift" from somewhere? Have a great day and don't overdoit!

Good Morning All. Perfectly clear and 38°, on the way up to 61° later today. Late start this morning as I stayed out late last night. Looks like a very settled down spring weather pattern coming up (for now), temps between 45° at night and 70° during the day, but with periods of stiff winds from time to time. It's time to clear the wintertime debris out of the yard, fallen branches, remaining caches of leaves and relocate some of the mud clods left by the plumbers. Back in the "back 40", there are still some major tree prunings that need to be sawed into firewood, as well as part of the cord of wood delivered last week that's still in a pile by the driveway and needs to be stacked. I haven't been too aggressive about moving it yet, but I have made a dent. It will feel good to get out in the sunshine and fresh country air and get some real exercise for a change. It will however take another hour or two to get rid of the odor left by a skunk who blasted somewhere close by last night.
Meanwhile today I will plant radishes in my slightly scaled back garden. No carrots or parsnips this year as it is too late to start them.

Hello Flo. How about some corned beef hash and two sunny side up eggs this morning for me. I'll take cranberry-grape juice this morning for a change of pace. Skip the English Muffin this morning.

Thanks for the many reactions and comments regarding the before/after shots posted yesterday; Garry, Dave, Sherrel, Alan, Tom O, Chad, Hughie, Greg, Karl, Patrick, Rick, James, Guy, Jaz, Justin, Gary, Tom, Phil.

I spent some time in the train shed yesterday afternoon. Not as much as I would have liked, but more than I have in about a week or two.
While I mainly ran trains, I also added the signs to the cardstock warehouse, so it now has a name, Precision Electronic Controls.
View attachment 125515
View attachment 125516
I have also decided on an ongoing project to do to keep busy. After reviewing some more flat car loads, I need to add cribbage, bracing and tie-downs to some.
First is one already done, a 40' Athearn Blue Box with a home made I-beam load made from Evergreen styrene shapes.
View attachment 125517
And a few that need improvement.
A 63' Roundhouse flat with mixed Chooch loads.
View attachment 125518
An Atlas 68' short bulkhead flat with other Chooch castings.
View attachment 125519
And lastly for today, a Walther's 53' GSC flat with even more Chooch castings. I mixed and matched four or five different offerings.
View attachment 125520
Look for these and others to make it over to the workbench over the next few weeks while I also finish off the warehouse details and select a spot on the layout to bring the scenery in line. I haven't forgotten that Williams '58 Bel Air that's waiting, I just haven't gotten back into the mood for it. Happens sometimes.

Jim - I believe that we nailed all of the leaks. I had the water company come out yesterday and check the meter to confirm it. He saw no movement over a five minute observation period. He used his electronic thingamajig!
Sherrel - Congratulations to all with the new addition to the family.
Tom O - The camera lady was my wife. She was keeping an eye on me while I was dancing with my brother's wife!
Hughie -

I didn't need a key, but I had to pound on the door for a bit to get Mel's attention! Both Flo and Francine were late and he didn't want to cook and serve all at once! ;)

I still do that on parts of the layout that are 5-6 years old!

I am concerned about two members who abruptly disappeared, Dave (logandsawman) got his new home and he is probably already negotiating for more train room. He has been known to disappear in the past.
However Curt hasn't been around for what seems like two weeks. His last post indicated that his Mom took a turn for the worse. Maybe Phil knows? I hope that both are doing OK.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.
I love that Burlington it has genuine character I hope if you plan to update it you just weather ‘ rust the bogie,if that was on sale at a fair I would fight you for it...
also I have some great warhammer technical paints which give semi transparent dirt and green I’ll have to get them photographed so you guys can see how good they are...hmm let me look..ah now distracted these are loads made from scratch,not mine I hasten to say I saw them at a fair and photographed them for reference

D96086F4-0AB7-4875-83AB-E3A793405BF0.jpeg

cotton wool plaster strip wire,
two plastic pipes one shelves in the other terracotta paint
wood dye on the balsa wood drums are some of the quick easy ones to copy
same idea as the terracotta pipes the larger black ones
match stick, available for modelling packs,used here as load holders,all unpainted but you can stain them too
boat modelling has a lot to offer they do loads of decent chains that work to scale
ok got side tracked, hopefully these help with the loads, if you do not have coal to bags small check out bbq bracketed , powder can be used for weathering

1552B2D2-9EA0-49EF-BB5B-1027131A87C5.jpeg

6135749D-D11E-43C9-AED4-79DE6995D3D8.jpeg
D42B3183-E093-45B6-A681-9BD70AB6411A.jpeg
E6B1C5C9-23B7-4A3C-9357-54ACE651474C.jpeg

Good Afternoon there internet peoples!

Just a steak and veggies today, Flo!

This morning was eventful, but in a good way. I have the website for the Indiana vaccine registration bookmarked and check it each morning. I'm 56, and the going age lower limit has been 60+ for the last week. Figured the last update was on a Tuesday morning, so this next one might be as well. Checked about 6:25... not yet.

Getting ready to head up for a shower, since wife was done with the hot water... checked Facebook one last time, and .... THERE IT WAS! A doc I follow for updates on the issue had just posted the update down to 55+.

Ran upstairs, told the wife. She yelled to get her an appointment too.

15 minutes later, we were both booked. On different days, at different clinics. The appointments were flying off the schedule.

Texted to let the relatives know we were scheduled for next week. Half an hour later, Sis in law's partner responded that she hadn't made her appt yet. I started putting her info and and found an appointment two week AFTER mine.

So... next week... The feeling of relief just getting it scheduled gave me was a darn-tooting good feeling.

OH, and waiting to hear from the roofing guys for de-chipmunking the dryer vent. They agreed with the chimney sweeps that metal shingle roofs are no fun to walk. But they will walk them. However, we have to watch the weather. Hoping tomorrow is the day. Needs to warm up enough to dry the roof off for them to get up there.

GUY - A nice photo this morning - I see that the LOCO (whatever it is?) was attracted to the pole!
I'm sorry that I cannot recognize any LOCO's later than a GP-35 - my bad! :eek:

Sherrel - That engine is an SD40-2W. There were quite a few of those used as local switchers last year. Now, they seem to be gone and replaced by SD75 I's. I'm very glad I was able to get lots of photos of the SD40's before they disappeared. - Waiting until the snow is gone before I start photographing the SD75's.

I forgot to mention how happy I am to hear young Sawyer and mom are doing well. Right On!!

For everyone else, I found a photo in a b&w photo thread this morning. No mention of the photographer or a back story, but, it's an interesting photo:
bridge.jpg

Obviously, I couldn't sucker the wife into going fishing today, as she already had plans. So, I'm continuing on with the layout room reno.

Have a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back