Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Clear and 42° on my back porch this morning. Another perfect spring day coming up today, a repeat of the last two, mid-60's with plenty of sunshine but a bit of wind after lunch. Well, all of my plumbing repairs have made it for a week! Looks like I am good for a while. Yesterday I tidied up two of the areas that the plumber dug out to get under the house. He filled in the holes, but given the mud at the time, it wasn't real neat. Three more to go today maybe. One is still a bit sloppy and may have to wait until tomorrow. Meanwhile, I got another bunch of onion slips from the nursery yesterday to plant today along with another group of radishes. Those I plant in successive short rows so the harvest is spread out over a couple of months.

Thanks for those likes regarding the layout update yesterday; Karl, Tom O, Guy, Tom, Hughie, Rick, Gary, Ken, Phil, Jaz, Ken, Sherrel.

How about some blueberry waffles and bacon this morning Flo. Heavy on the bacon.

Mixed day yesterday out in the train shed. I didn't do any more flat cars, gave the weathering and detailing a rest for a day. I did get over to the east side and installed five of the six ground throws on the upper level prior to painting the track/ties. I managed to split a throwbar on number six and I am hoping that the CA glue will suffice. Otherwise I will have to buy another one to replace it.
Here's two examples.
View attachment 125705
View attachment 125706
I use the track nails on most to keep the throw arms from bottoming out, which in turn makes operation a bit more difficult.
Because this level is at eye level, I cannot readily see which way they are thrown. In the past I used a red dot on the side of the rails to indicate diverging route like this.
View attachment 125708
I may try painting the track nails in a few spots to see if that works better, as some of the dots are hard to see.
Then I ran a bunch of train combinations through all of them in both directions to ensure proper operation. That took some enjoyable time.

Tom O - Making the buildings is not an issue, I have just temporarily run out of suitable kits to assemble. Like you, I actually like ballasting as well. The only two aspects of the hobby that give me fits are soldering and tree making!
Jaz - OK, you finally got me with that British lingo! What's a Gil?
Nice flock of ducks/chickens and herd of goats. I bet that they're tasty.
Joe -

Right knee that was done a few months back is doing great. Left one done in 2019 seemed to be doing very well until recently when it started aching just a bit. She went to the orthopedic surgeon Thursday and X-rays were good and he suspects a bit of scar tissue is the problem. Nothing that a little Tylenol or a glass of wine can't handle.

Everybody have a great Sunday. Stay negative and stay safe.
It’s a unit or a sixth of a unit of alcohol, one Gil or more often called Gill is equivalent to a quarter of a pint

Maple leaf
A2F02C4B-E6AA-4D81-854B-3AFC8C9CE55E.jpeg

close

Happy Sunday gang!
Spent the day cleaning and doing household stuff. I did manage to break out my new "rolling road" set. I recently remotored and old Mantua Mikado and I wanted it to run a bit. Not having a decoder yet (Not sure if I'm gonna keep it) I placed it on my DC test track on rollers and let her rip. Oh this is great! I can watch the valve linkage and monitor it for any binding without chasing it back and forth on the track!
IMG_4178[1].JPG

Now I'm playing on the puter while watching the Nascar race. Life is good!!

Tom, great job on the weathering of that car!

BBL!

I didn't realize that TurboTax had cloned our last year's W-2's for us to just edit the numbers without re-entering everything.

Ken: Sometimes these Tax Programs are just too helpful...:mad:
T
Sherrel: Happy to hear spousal unit is doing well after surgery. Even better hearing that Mom and Son are doing so well...They seem so tiny at first, then they start growing. :)

X-rays were good and he suspects a bit of scar tissue is the problem.

Willie: Wouldn't surprise me if that was part of my discomfort. The time spent on my butt during the cold snap, didn't help at all. The more active I am, the less discomfort I have.

Westbound at Holmesburg Jct 1967.jpg

Westbound passing Holmesburg Jct, (Phila.), in 1967.

Good evening, Patrons of Running Bear's Coffee Shop.

I have not participated here in a few days (except for a little lurking and clicking a few likes) . As info., I have not felt well for several days. My congestive heart failure is bothering me. I had an appointment with my cardiologist on Thursday, and he ordered some tests. Some are discouraging. Tomorrow, I have more tests. The cardiologist has already changed one of the drugs which are controlling my condition, and that should help. I hope to get back to normal again soon.

Meanwhile, I'm too tired to do much of anything including participation in the Coffee Shop .

Everybody: ...... Have a good evening. Your friendship here is appreciated.

I have not participated here in a few days (except for a little lurking and clicking a few likes) . As info., I have not felt well for several days. My congestive heart failure is bothering me. I had an appointment with my cardiologist on Thursday, and he ordered some tests. Some are discouraging. Tomorrow, I have more tests. The cardiologist has already changed one of the drugs which are controlling my condition, and that should help. I hope to get back to normal again soon.

Meanwhile, I'm too tired to do much of anything including participation in the Coffee Shop .

My father suffered from congestive heart failure, and it wasn't an enjoyable experience for him. I know his doctor prescribed lasix for the fluid buildup, I don't know if that is still the current go-to medication.

Garry: Sorry to read that. Hopefully a change in therapy will bring about improvement in your condition. Prayers for you.

🙏🙏🙏 Prayers for the best outcome Garry🙏🙏🙏

Ken: Sometimes these Tax Programs are just too helpful...:mad:
T
Sherrel: Happy to hear spousal unit is doing well after surgery. Even better hearing that Mom and Son are doing so well...They seem so tiny at first, then they start growing. :)

KEN - Wish mine had been schooled better - starting from scratch is brutal! 🤪

JOE - Thanks for the well-wishes. This little guy weighed 7.5 pounds and was 5-6 weeks early! YES they are tiny, but then they become teenagers! :eek: The Spousal Unit is dooing much better tonight - she is ahead of the pain - I just refilled her icce tender for the umpteenth time before I turn in. Finally had to buy a bag of ice today - couldn't keep up with the demand -been using a bunch of the refreezeable packs plus freezing water bottles too!

Greetings from the writing purgatory shed. I'll need a mess of bacon and a couple of chocolate donuts this morning.

No train time. I'm still trying to finish book 2 in my new SoCal series. And listen to the audio narration files of book 2 in the previous series... and audio narration of book 1 in new series should be showing up this week.

Serious question for those of you from the US southern states. What's a dead giveaway that someone is faking about being a southerner?

Jaz: what part of the UK are you in? My first book series is set in a mystical valley somewhere in Powys - West of Shrewsbury in central Wales.

When this round of book writing is done, I may have to get a bottle of Writers Tears

Troy -
Serious question for those of you from the US southern states. What's a dead giveaway that someone is faking about being a southerner?
Not too sure how to answer the question as written, but some dead giveaways of non-southerners are:
1) Eating fried chicken with a knife and fork.
2) Calling it pizza pie, and eating it also with a knife and fork.
3) Referring to soft drinks as soda or pop, or soda pop. Every soft drink in the south is called coke even if it is Pepsi or Dr. Pepper!
4) Correct pronunciation of words like tire...southerners pronounce it "tar"; pliers are pronounced "plars". "Gimme them there plars so I can change the flat tar on the pick 'em up truck".
5) Incorrect use of "you all", it's "y'all to a southerner.
6) Actually knowing how to drive on ice or snow, but not knowing how to drive on dirt roads.
7) Peeing indoors.

Just a few that come to mind, hope that these help you.

Troy -

Not too sure how to answer the question as written, but some dead giveaways of non-southerners are:
1) Eating fried chicken with a knife and fork.
2) Calling it pizza pie, and eating it also with a knife and fork.
3) Referring to soft drinks as soda or pop, or soda pop. Every soft drink in the south is called coke even if it is Pepsi or Dr. Pepper!
4) Correct pronunciation of words like tire...southerners pronounce it "tar"; pliers are pronounced "plars". "Gimme them there plars so I can change the flat tar on the pick 'em up truck".
5) Incorrect use of "you all", it's "y'all to a southerner.
6) Actually knowing how to drive on ice or snow, but not knowing how to drive on dirt roads.
7) Peeing indoors.

Just a few that come to mind, hope that these help you.
#7 even for the ladies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back