Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon, cloudy high of 44°.

Flo- I'll take a muffin with a glass of chocolate milk.

I see a lot of you non retired folks are out of work with this COVID 19, hope everything works out for you guys. Luckily, my place of work is considered essential.

Yesterday, I was working on unclogging the bathroom sink. As I was moving the drain unclogger around, the stopper popped out! The metal rod that moves the stopper up and down corroded enough that it snapped off. I got the new one put in today.

Hopefully I can get some more progress on the bench work soon.

Beady

Sorry to hear of your loss. Yes, death can be a release. Both for the one who passes, and for those who are still here, their loved ones.

I'll send both good thoughts and prayers for you and yours, that you may remember your mom, celebrate her life, and move on, keeping a memory of your mom the way you'd like.

OK, gang, this is a bit of a downer. My mother died at 1:01 this morning. The hospital called us at 9:30 last night and we met my brother and his wife there at 10. They only let my brother and myself up to the room, so we sent the wives to bro's house. Afterward, the four of us sat around talking for an hour or so. When we got home, I couldn't sleep until about 7.

Some of you may wonder how an atheist deals with death. Well, we mourn our loss and then move on. The thought does occur that the last of our family's previous generation has died, and now it's our turn. Shrug. There's nothing I can do to halt the process and, having recently seen extreme old-age close-up in two instances, I wouldn't want to. One thing believers and nonbelievers have in common is that, for both, death can be a release.

Thanks for any thoughts, prayers and good wishes. I really like this bunch.
You have my deepest sympathies.

Well--
I have been reminded of the difference between intelligence and stupidity. Intelligence has its limits.
A few minutes ago, at 6:30 on a weekend evening, a door to door salesman knocked on our door. Yes, we have a county-wide stay at home order.
After everything that's happened here in the last few weeks, he made a convenient target through our glass storm door. He acted like some of the things I said he had never heard before, and I hope he takes this life experience to heart.

Doing different things on and off I did get the hopper finished. (1 of 4) A couple of coats of dull coat and some light weathering and this one will be done. :)
IMG_3248.jpg
IMG_3255.jpg
IMG_3256.jpg

Hello Shop Dwellers, time for my weekly update. Not much has changed since the last time I visited, since I currently work from home (my employer is an essential business) and the time I save from skipping the commute, I use to catch up on my sleep. Heck, I can't even remember exactly what I posted here last time?

Beady, condolences on your mom's passing!

My wife went and got herself tested for COVID-19 on Thursday. She said she'd been having symptoms, and was feeling "excessively tired" along with a low-grade fever (99.2*F). On Friday she said she felt better; then on Saturday she said she probably was truly sick after all and had a fever (99.2*F again), and probably does have it. Today she felt better. The test result is supposed to be known "sometime" between Monday and Thursday; in the meantime I'm asking myself, should we isolate? Am I endangering other people if I go to the supermarket? Based on the pattern over the past four days, my gut feeling is that the test will come back negative. After all, doctors are known to be among the worst of hypochondriacs!

In spite of the drama, I did find time to do some more stuff on the layout. Nothing particularly interesting, just trying to dress-up some bare plywood spaces between four diverging curved tracks of different radii. A bit of incremental progress, not worth photographing IMHO.

However... thanks to Tom's excellent model photo of a contemporary CSXT covered hopper, I can dig out this archive photo from 12 years ago when I was practicing my weathering techniques on an old Athearn Blue Box 4-bay covered hopper:

CSXT_4BayCoverdHopper.jpg

It's based off a prototype photo on rrpicturearchives.net. Too bad I can no longer run this model on my 1969-72 era B&O layout...

Last edited:
OK, gang, this is a bit of a downer. My mother died at 1:01 this morning. The hospital called us at 9:30 last night and we met my brother and his wife there at 10. They only let my brother and myself up to the room, so we sent the wives to bro's house. Afterward, the four of us sat around talking for an hour or so. When we got home, I couldn't sleep until about 7.

Some of you may wonder how an atheist deals with death. Well, we mourn our loss and then move on. The thought does occur that the last of our family's previous generation has died, and now it's our turn. Shrug. There's nothing I can do to halt the process and, having recently seen extreme old-age close-up in two instances, I wouldn't want to. One thing believers and nonbelievers have in common is that, for both, death can be a release.

Thanks for any thoughts, prayers and good wishes. I really like this bunch.

Beady .... I am sorry to hear about your mother passing away. I know what you mean about seeing people with extreme old age. I always thought I wanted to live to be over 100, but after being with people in their 90's in nursing homes I no longer feel the same about that. Thanks for sharing your beliefs about death. Briefly, I will say I know there is something waiting for us when our bodies die. I base that on near death experiences I had when my heart stopped beating because of my heart condition. I had those experiences two times out of the six times my heart stopped. It really happened. That is all I want to say about that. Thanks for being willing to accept prayers from believers. Condolences and prayers for you and your family.

Good morning gang
It looks like we may see the sun today, after a rainy weekend.
Beady. You have my sympathies over the passing of your mom.
In response to Covid19, to limit our exposure, they are limiting our work week. 4 day week instead of 5. Nothing else has changed. Still 3 people sitting side by side, facing the public. 🙄😒🙁😦
Terry. I have a video door bell. If any shady or weird characters ring, I tell them through my phone " I'll be there in a sec, lemme unlock the gun safe".
L8ter gang!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back