Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning! Coffee goes real good when you come inside after shoveling during a March mini-blizzard!

For those of you who are not blessed with the magical delight of shoveling a shit-pile of snow, I submit these photos you may use to fuel your nightmares as you sleep:
IMG_8450.JPGIMG_8451.JPGIMG_8452.JPG
All photos were taken through my windows, after I just finished shoveling, and the paths are being covered up again by more snow. I also did the old fella's walks down the street. I was out there all the time Bob was transferring the forum to the new home.

I see James has a very similar part-time shoveling hobby, however, in a far more pretty area!

Sorry, no photos that are train related today. I'm going to stay inside and work on my garage. I think most of that snow is blown in by the wind. It's really hard to photograph the wind and let you see what we are putting up with today. Between the snow, the wind, and the virus, I'm starting to think I live in a hostile environment.

I like all the messages you folks post up. This is a fine group.

All have a great day!
Guy

Good Morning still. It's already 73° and clear. Bright sun as a matter of fact. Expecting temperatures in the 80°+ range for the rest of the week. Off to a late visit here because of the new server introduction. I don't mind.
I am moving into the 21st century later today. The technician from the phone company is coming out this afternoon to hook up the fiber optic cable that was laid through my yard about two months ago. Since I have always maintained my land line, the government grant that brought this service to my rural area stipulates that they cannot charge an installation fee or raise my rates. Neighbors who dropped land lines over the past few years do not get this and will have to pay if they want it. Satellite service can be sometimes sporadic out here in stormy weather and forget about it if the power goes out. Of course if the power goes out, the computer won't work anyway but the phone will.

It's late this morning Flo, let me just have a BLT sandwich and some french fries.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday regarding the locomotive project; Garry, Jerome, Karl, Phil, Joe, Sherrel, Justin, James, Bob, Hughie, Patrick, Chad, Curt, Tom, Ken, Johnny. And also thanks to the nine folks who liked the curling video.

Made a good bit of progress in the train shed yesterday, I completed the posts, strung the wire, painted and installed the barbed-wire fence around the cow pasture.
03-24-20 002.JPG

The cows helped by adding a few cow patties to the scene. Next step is to make all of the wires taut and drooping; and to add the corner post bracing. I'll be painting the horizon part of the backdrop soon as well. Everything is currently removable so that won't be any issue.
I finished up the first of the two locomotives that had the funky handrails. While the old patched holes are visible in the photo, they cannot be seen in normal circumstances.
03-24-20 007.JPG

I redid the first four stanchions, but the fifth would have required a hole too close to the old one, hard to do when I have to freehand them.

Bob (admin) - Keep up the good work on the site. You posted something the other day regarding a gardening site. Care to divulge the URL? I'm hoping to start posting pictures in the photo gallery at some time. It's just that between modeling and gardening I just don't take the time.
Garry - It is unfortunate about the handrails, but I always knew it was coming. They got that way over ten years ago and I just kept deferring it. I was able to brush off some skills that I haven't used in a while.
Guy - Brrrh! That garage is really coming along nicely. I see that the website is still offering the plans for free.
Karl - Here's the paint that I used. Funny that I have had it for nearly 20 years and never thought to match it. Athearn's ATSF yellow isn't available from anyone past or present.
03-24-20 008.JPG

Joe - I thankfully don't fit into any "over 60" stereotypes! That is with the exception of my hearing aids which I should have gotten in my 40's.
James - The company that I retired from is considered "essential". They make windows that are deemed necessary to keep construction going.
Mike - Wow! 28 additional feet. Aren't you in N scale? That's a lot of room for N scale.
Mikey - Your gas station is coming along nicely. Reminds me that I still need to do the interior of mine, just as soon as I find some suitable interior shots for the garage area to download.
Sherrel - Sorry to read that you weren't feeling well. Get better soon.

Still not too much panic here locally regarding the Covid-19 crisis. Forget about toilet paper and hand sanitizer even at stores opening early for seniors. I found about 30-18 packs of eggs at my locally owned grocery store this morning, but they were limiting purchases to 1@. I actually only went because I still forgot to get the dishwasher soap pods last week. So far there have been zero cases confirmed in the county that I live in and if some of the medical experts are correct, the warm temperatures here will help things a bit. In the county south of here where I do most of my business, there have been 36 cases. Most of them have been close to the Dallas county line. I am continuing to be cautious but not panicked. Not too hard for us since we are normally quite isolated to begin with. Social distancing and common sense should be used everywhere except in certain areas where lockdown is necessary. Locking down entire states because of a few cases doesn't make sense. But neither did the Spring Breakers either.

Everyone have a great day.

Good Morning! Coffee goes real good when you come inside after shoveling during a March mini-blizzard!

For those of you who are not blessed with the magical delight of shoveling a shit-pile of snow, I submit these photos you may use to fuel your nightmares as you sleep:
View attachment 45526View attachment 45527View attachment 45528
All photos were taken through my windows, after I just finished shoveling, and the paths are being covered up again by more snow. I also did the old fella's walks down the street. I was out there all the time Bob was transferring the forum to the new home.

I see James has a very similar part-time shoveling hobby, however, in a far more pretty area!

Sorry, no photos that are train related today. I'm going to stay inside and work on my garage. I think most of that snow is blown in by the wind. It's really hard to photograph the wind and let you see what we are putting up with today. Between the snow, the wind, and the virus, I'm starting to think I live in a hostile environment.

I like all the messages you folks post up. This is a fine group.

All have a great day!
Guy
Better you than me.

Good Morning still. It's already 73° and clear. Bright sun as a matter of fact. Expecting temperatures in the 80°+ range for the rest of the week. Off to a late visit here because of the new server introduction. I don't mind.
I am moving into the 21st century later today. The technician from the phone company is coming out this afternoon to hook up the fiber optic cable that was laid through my yard about two months ago. Since I have always maintained my land line, the government grant that brought this service to my rural area stipulates that they cannot charge an installation fee or raise my rates. Neighbors who dropped land lines over the past few years do not get this and will have to pay if they want it. Satellite service can be sometimes sporadic out here in stormy weather and forget about it if the power goes out. Of course if the power goes out, the computer won't work anyway but the phone will.

It's late this morning Flo, let me just have a BLT sandwich and some french fries.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday regarding the locomotive project; Garry, Jerome, Karl, Phil, Joe, Sherrel, Justin, James, Bob, Hughie, Patrick, Chad, Curt, Tom, Ken, Johnny. And also thanks to the nine folks who liked the curling video.

Made a good bit of progress in the train shed yesterday, I completed the posts, strung the wire, painted and installed the barbed-wire fence around the cow pasture.
View attachment 45530
The cows helped by adding a few cow patties to the scene. Next step is to make all of the wires taut and drooping; and to add the corner post bracing. I'll be painting the horizon part of the backdrop soon as well. Everything is currently removable so that won't be any issue.
I finished up the first of the two locomotives that had the funky handrails. While the old patched holes are visible in the photo, they cannot be seen in normal circumstances.
View attachment 45531
I redid the first four stanchions, but the fifth would have required a hole too close to the old one, hard to do when I have to freehand them.

Bob (admin) - Keep up the good work on the site. You posted something the other day regarding a gardening site. Care to divulge the URL? I'm hoping to start posting pictures in the photo gallery at some time. It's just that between modeling and gardening I just don't take the time.
Garry - It is unfortunate about the handrails, but I always knew it was coming. They got that way over ten years ago and I just kept deferring it. I was able to brush off some skills that I haven't used in a while.
Guy - Brrrh! That garage is really coming along nicely. I see that the website is still offering the plans for free.
Karl - Here's the paint that I used. Funny that I have had it for nearly 20 years and never thought to match it. Athearn's ATSF yellow isn't available from anyone past or present.
View attachment 45525
Joe - I thankfully don't fit into any "over 60" stereotypes! That is with the exception of my hearing aids which I should have gotten in my 40's.
James - The company that I retired from is considered "essential". They make windows that are deemed necessary to keep construction going.
Mike - Wow! 28 additional feet. Aren't you in N scale? That's a lot of room for N scale.
Mikey - Your gas station is coming along nicely. Reminds me that I still need to do the interior of mine, just as soon as I find some suitable interior shots for the garage area to download.
Sherrel - Sorry to read that you weren't feeling well. Get better soon.

Still not too much panic here locally regarding the Covid-19 crisis. Forget about toilet paper and hand sanitizer even at stores opening early for seniors. I found about 30-18 packs of eggs at my locally owned grocery store this morning, but they were limiting purchases to 1@. I actually only went because I still forgot to get the dishwasher soap pods last week. So far there have been zero cases confirmed in the county that I live in and if some of the medical experts are correct, the warm temperatures here will help things a bit. In the county south of here where I do most of my business, there have been 36 cases. Most of them have been close to the Dallas county line. I am continuing to be cautious but not panicked. Not too hard for us since we are normally quite isolated to begin with. Social distancing and common sense should be used everywhere except in certain areas where lockdown is necessary. Locking down entire states because of a few cases doesn't make sense. But neither did the Spring Breakers either.

Everyone have a great day.
Trouble is, with a 2-wk incubation period, one person could literally travel around the world, infecting everyone he meets, before he shows symptoms, then each person he infects exposes n-number of others within a 24-hr period, and each of those... In theory, it's possible for every person on the planet to be infected before anyone at all shows symptoms. At what point do you start taking precautions? And how serious should those precautions be?

Wife and I returned from an almost successful trip to Stop & Shop. There weren't that many folks shopping at 0930, and traffic enroute was light.
They had ample frozen meals, and fresh meat and bread products. Bottled water was being rationed, and paper products were non existent The only eggs on the shelf were $7.50 / dozen brown organic eggs...Without going overboard, I spent 150 bucks on what shoud last us about 10 to 12 days. Also picked up three prescription refills. Everyone was maintaining social distance, except the infernal robot that runs through the store looking for spills (and shoplifters). We were home by eleven, and had pizza for lunch. ;) Now hanging out, waiting for Staples to deliver printer paper, printer ink, and coffee, (K-Cups).

Race Street 3-31-1976.jpg

March 31, 1976, the last day of Conrail operation at Race Street, (Penn Coach Yard), Philadelphia. The 8409 is pulling a draft of MP54E MUs North on #11,, while the LW coaches wait their turn on the wheel truing machine. Other tracks between #11 and the yard office/engine house were to the mail house.
Race Street Engine Terminal 2006.jpg

Compare the 1976 view to a photo I took in 2006, from the new 8 floor parking garage. in the foreground, is the roof of the yard office /engine house and to the right is track # 11. Everything in between on the first photo is gone. The tracks are still partially in place, but paved over.

Afternoon All,

Slept like a log last night. It's amazing what working hours in the hot sun will do for you. Today I cemented the 4x4's and put down rock as a drain field between the wall and the yard. I think I have a workable track plan but I'm going to let it stew upstairs for awhile before I commit to it. I'll post a picture of it when I am sure about it.

Karl- It should be a interesting project.

Migalyto- Enlarging a layout is always a good thing.

Mikey- Nice looking gas station.

Toot- Great pictures.

Ken- I hope your wife stays safe.

Joe- Interesting photos.

Bob- Interesting photo with the different paint schemes.

Bob(admin)- Thank you for all you do.

Willie- Nice scene and color match.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy ..

Bob ..... A couple of things...... Because you noticed my photo of my rural grain elevator, I started a thread for it in Structures and Buildings.

Also, Several weeks ago, I tried to change my settings because I do not want to receive and email to notify me if I get a private message. I don't know how to do that. .... I definitely do not want email notifications. ..

Last edited:
We just got and oil delivery. I said, I guess your an essential worker. He said, you should see the panic that's going on in the business. Everyone's calling to top off their tanks. I delivered 60 gallons, 30 gallons. I delivered 18 gallons to some old lady that just had her tank filled a week ago. It's crazy.
George
I got my oil delivery coming on Thursday......$2.0499 a gallon. Its already going back up......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back