Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning gang!
Been lurking the last few days, watching the news, napping a bit, and dealing with some on and off headaches all weekend. Today I said screw it, I'm staying home. I think the headaches are coming from some neck pain. The same area where 5 years ago I had 3 vertebra in my neck fused. Maybe I need more done?

Willie: Great catch on the paint match. Looks dead on to me!

Toot, Speaking of paint matches I can relate. When the Maryland Midland was still in blue and orange, Atlas and MTH both did a run of GP38s. Pretty much the same difference in blue as the MRL units. Atlas matched my custom painted units nicely.

Atlas MMID GP38AC

atlas-scale-gp-38-locomotive-maryland_1_a7f25de73f2c4c32f4a871c9e64c7d8a.jpg

MTH GP38AC

s-l640.jpg

I have a friend that has one of each,,,,they just look funny mu'ed together. Apart they look fine.
In either case, they look better than the G&W yellow Borg! YECH!!!! :eek:
MMID%202061-JKleeman.jpg

Keep your distance, and keep posting pics gang!

Last edited:
am actually a really early riser, between 4:30 and 5:00 every morning, even though I no longer work. For the next six months, it comes in handy when I need to "beat the heat" doing yardwork. Wife makes fun of me for going to bed when it's still daylight outside.

Willie: I had to be out of the house by 0700 to insure I made the 0800 train. That meant wake-up at 0530. After I retired, I let nature take it's course, and normally was up at 0730. Now, I'm edging toward 0630, for some reason. Whatever works is fine. I just hate all the stereotypes attributed to the over 60 crowd. Unfortunately, some of our age group seem to be intent on proving the stereotype right... :rolleyes:

My attempt to find stuff to do since there is no hockey to watch, is bringing to my attention, my lack of necessary tools. For instance, the only circular saw blades I have are 24 tooth framing blades. WTF? They do a horrible job on plywood... :mad: Since the pick-up lockers at HD are accessible without entering the warehouse, I may be forced to order some delivered to store for pick-up. ;)

All of these folks who either felt they were immune to the virus, or were above the requirements imposed by government are beginning to show signs they are infected... There is a major problem in the town to our South, where many folks refuse to comply with government imposed restrictions, because they "Answer to a Higher Authority"... They can do what they want, it's their choice, but they come here to shop and potentially infect others...and that is upsetting folks in our town, especially the people working at the remaining open stores. Also inflames animosity, which is not good.
Come on people, use some good judgment.

This is the tenth day of our self imposed confinement... Starting to get antsy, [and crabby]. Will have to pick up prescriptions, so since we are there, we should do some food shopping. It's raining pretty hard, so that may discourage some of the hoarders. :rolleyes:

B&O # 85 in Aiken Siding waiting on #82 09-04'1982 Frenchtown MD.jpg

B&O #82 waiting on a Westbound in Frenchtown, MD [Cecil County]. in 1982. Photographer Unknown.

Hey, NYC George - I model the NY Central (grew up on Long Island) but live here in the midwest. You'd be hard pressed to find many NY Central stuff in the hobby shops or train shows out here. Even the MJKlein online store doesn't have much. Do you know of any online stores, maybe in NY, that have a good supply? I need a number of freight cars for my layout. Thanks.

Yes Rain I know the place well. My old girl friend lived there. I spent many hours stuck on the LIE visiting her plus heading out to Rossevelt Raceway when it was open. The only place I can think of is TrainWorld in Queens, NY. George

Hey, NYC George - I model the NY Central (grew up on Long Island) but live here in the midwest. You'd be hard pressed to find many NY Central stuff in the hobby shops or train shows out here. Even the MJKlein online store doesn't have much. Do you know of any online stores, maybe in NY, that have a good supply? I need a number of freight cars for my layout. Thanks.

Give this guy a call he has an enormous amount of NYC stuff and other North east RR.

Good Luck!

Morning all!

Currently 35 degrees and snowing flurries. Had a little white out but only lasted a few minutes but it is still snowing.

Working a few hours today. I am deemed on the essential lists by NY state for the work I do. So I am in the office for a few hours then I will head home shortly after noon time. My work is interesting to say the least and I will leave it at that.

Hope everyone is fairing well and some of you who are sick are on the mend. Heed the warnings out there, this stuff is not fun. I will only be back in the office one more time this week. After that it is all at home. I have plans to work on the layout tonight :) I have been working on a few details of the layout plans with minor changes from the original scope. Also may put up some shelving above my work station in the train room and a LED light.

Have a good afternoon gang!

Willie: I had to be out of the house by 0700 to insure I made the 0800 train. That meant wake-up at 0530. After I retired, I let nature take it's course, and normally was up at 0730. Now, I'm edging toward 0630, for some reason. Whatever works is fine. I just hate all the stereotypes attributed to the over 60 crowd. Unfortunately, some of our age group seem to be intent on proving the stereotype right... :rolleyes:

I was on flex-time when I worked at Immigration. I'd get up at 4:30 and be at my desk by 6. A little brutal, but I could leave by 2:30. Then I went into overdrive and started working 10-hour days, plus Saturday and/or Sunday, sucking up all the OT I could. 11 months of this, and then my heart attack. I retired six months later. Now, I sleep 10 to 12 hours, although I'm not sure how much of this is medication. The insomnia has backed off a bit, and I try to be in bed by 10.

Our governor just issued a 3-week stay-at-home order. This still isn't going to impact us, much. In fact, our daily lives are well within the restrictions, and the restrictions are even a bit relaxing since they keep us from doing some things.

Mom was taken off the ventilator yesterday, and seemed to be doing pretty well when we left. The four of us had been allowed into the hospital during the procedure, just in case. In fact, they were going to move her out of ICU yesterday or this morning; haven't heard yet that it has happened. We won't be allowed back to the hospital unless something important happens.

Good morning. Checking in a little bit late today. Although my daughter was laid off due to the virus, the company she works for had a special order and she went into work and I have the grand kids all day today. We'll probably go down and run trains for a while for sure.

Beady
- Glad to hear that your mom was taken off of the ventilator. Hope whe does well.

Alan - That S-2 is beautiful.

James - Good photos. When I worked in the trucking industry, I can't believe how much paper we hauled. Thought the media was talking about computers would cut down on paper use. Yeah, right. Almost hauled as much as water.

Ray - Good MRL photos. Taken in my back yard. That looks like the old Bozeman depot in the last photo.

Johnny - The farm is looking good.

Joe - Prefer the B&O colors to the Chessie. Sorry Justin.

Gotta get out of here. The kids are ready to head down to the train room.

Later

As it happens, the weatherman's narrative was misleading, and the winds are too high to go fishing. It was the wife pulling out of the idea; not me. I'm happy with the winds, though, as I just wasn't feeling like fishing today.

A coat of blue paint is on the garage. :)

Afternoon all,

Man, I'll be glad when either this darn virus hits or doesn't. The prep work is running me ragged. Starting to know why IT is a young man's game.....lol

Nothing on the train side over the weekend, I just didn't feel it. I need to create my control panel at an angle, but not sure how deep to make the angled shelf. What do most of you guys use (if any)? I'm thinking 12" by about 18" may be big enough to handle just about everything without being too much in the way.

Anyway love the pictures all of you posted over the weekend. Stay safe!

Good morning America! 55 and rainy here in Sparta. Strong storms forecast for tomorrow, then some sunny skies and around 80 degrees Thursday and Friday.

Gary, we are about 15 miles south of Cookeville where they had an EF-4 tornado about 3 weeks ago. Talked to a lady that worked at Lowe's in Cookeville who lost 5 of her neighbors in the storm. She said she was lucky and only lost her home. That was the last day that we got out and about. Mowed the yard yesterday and did all the trimming with a new battery powered weed eater we ordered from Lowe's. Works pretty good and is nice and quiet and best of all, no gas and oil to mess with. Did take two charges to get through the first trimming of the year, but it should take less time as long as I keep up with it.

Might get some time to spend with my trains later today, just need to play it by ear. Got my LokProgrammer before our move, but still haven't taken it out of the box yet. I was surprised by the size of the box, there must be a lot of little extras that come with it or it has a REALLY big manual. Hoping the manual isn't THAT big!o_O

Anyone have trouble with the like button? Sometimes when I hit the like button nothing happens except for a yellow line going across the top of my screen. It may take up to 6 tries over several minutes to get a like to take effect. Oh well, there are a lot bigger problems to deal with right now.

Like all the pictures everyone has posted, it helps to brighten an otherwise dreary day. I will have to get around to doing my part real soon. Got to see about dinner for now. Stay safe and enjoy your trains!

Starting to know why IT is a young man's game.....lol

You're in IT? Cool! I've been playing IT department all weekend, migrating a dozen websites to a new server. It's always tough as I only do it every couple of years, and then I have to try and recall how it worked last time and what I use to transfer stuff, and oh, this is different now and that has changed.

Latest glitch? Can't get the exec() command to work in PHP. Host can't figure it out either. "Edit the php.ini" file and remove the disable command. Been there, done that. Both for the server in general and for the site in question. Not in the general php.ini file, and the website doesn't even have one, so it inherits the defaults. They're short staffed and all going "Hmmm... That's odd..." LOL!

Question for the coffee shop group...

A lot of great content and photos get posted to this thread. It's a great place to put them, it's by far the most active topic and it ensures that most folks will see them.

However, it's kind of like Facebook, in that things scroll out of site, never to be seen again.

I have a potential solutions for that. The forum software now allows me to make a copy of a post. That means I can grab a post (or posts) that's particularly interesting or useful and make a copy to place in another topic. For example, I used the copy function to create this post:

Now, the copy means the original post stays here, allowing continuity in the posts and comments etc. But, it also means some stuff would be duplicates.

I think this would work, if used in moderation. What do the rest of you think of the idea?

1. By "stays here," where is "here"?

2. The idea sounds good, but wouldn't "here" wind up housing an unmanageable number of pics and whatnot? How would you index it and/or find anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back