Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Happy St. Patrick's Day. 59° and cloudy. Still under the flash flood watch in effect since Saturday, although there has been no rain in the last 24 hours.
Some distressing news in my neighborhood, at least to me yesterday.
03-17-20 008.JPG

The power company dropped off nine new power poles along the road. Not to replace any that are already here, but to spoil my view when I go for my daily walk.
03-17-20 009.JPG

Some city slicker married the owner of some property about a quarter mile down the road a couple of years ago, and he's determined to make a "country estate" out of some pasture land. He fenced the property off (badly I might add), and withdrew my permission to walk through the woods down there. He has been mowing part of the place with a small tractor instead of cutting and baling the grass for hay. He even uses the weedeater about every two weeks along over 1000' of fence along the road! Now he wants electricity to power the wells that he put in, and to further develop things. He already has a travel trailer and generator there. He told me a few months back that the power company would not run the poles and lines through the woods to his future home, he wanted them there to avoid "despoiling the landscape", but they refused. They do intend to put at least one pole about 30' onto his pasture; I don't know whether he is going to bury the line from there or is going to run more poles the remaining 1000' to where he is going to build. Either way, he is going to have to go through two woodsy areas on the way. By the way, the power company is charging him for the nine new poles, and the ensuing lines, although he will get a monthly credit for them when he starts using electricity.
OK, personal rant over!

Hey Flo! How about a stack of blueberry pancakes and a handful of bacon to start the day for me.

Thanks to all for the likes (ooops, they're "reaction scores" now) and comments regarding the progress update yesterday; Joe, Sherrel, Chet, Phil, Jerome, Justin, Chad, Curt, Patrick, Tom. I'm going to still call them "likes".

Made some more progress out in the train shed yesterday. Continued with the scenery and figures in the area in front of the casket manufacturer.
Here's Sammy.
03-17-20 001.JPG

Mickey and Minnie.
03-17-20 002.JPG

And Bugs in disguise.
03-17-20 003.JPG

Over on the other side of the layout, I started ballasting the grain elevator spur. Should finish that today. Roads and ground cover are next.

Alan - You're absolutely right about never having too many vehicles, except Chet!;) I have empty parking areas all over the layout and have to ration the vehicles right now.
Chet - Love that gopher hole.
Chad - Those lamb carcasses look mighty tasty. I used to see them when I used to go to Costco, but they opened a Sam's a lot closer to me, so I switched memberships.
Terry - That's hopeful news. Prayers for Marie and family will continue.

Special day for Irishmen. St. Patrick's Day is the only day of the year when you can hit on your best (Irish) friends wife without getting in trouble!

Everybody have a great day today.

Just a quick coffee, before we head out to the lake for a bit of ice-fishing!

Willie - I like the wildlife that you have! Except for the snake, that is. I firmly believe that if you are bad in your time on earth, you will come back as either a bug or a snake. Depending on the degree of nastiness. I spy some water across the other side of the property picture. Is that a river or a lake? Tough luck, that you're view is being disturbed. - Bye the way, that snowshoe should be white this time of year, like the one who's been visiting our yard:
Snowshoe2019 (1).JPG
I glued the foam roadbed onto my rock-face yesterday, and began the paint on a portion of track. I'm using enamels on the track so some dry time is involved between coats. While waiting, I just couldn't resist taking a photo at mid-night last night, just to see if it was going to work out for me:
IMG_8378.JPG
I'm not done yet, but i am quite happy with the results. This being my first time working with these materials.

Anyway, gotta load the truck for fishing!
All have a great day!!
Guy

Willie - ...I spy some water across the other side of the property picture. Is that a river or a lake? Tough luck, that you're view is being disturbed
Guy - That is a Corp of Engineers flood control lake about 850' across the road from our house. Normally about 26 surface acres, but in the 40 years that I have lived here it has completely covered that field up to the road twice, making it over 1000 surface acres, and covered at least 60% of that field about a dozen times. There's a spillway that normally takes care of things most of the time, and the top of the actual dam is 1' lower than the road. When it gets to covering that field at anything above 50%, it does cover the road a half mile north of me. We do most of our traveling south on the part of the road in the second picture. It only gets covered in temporary runoff lasting a couple of hours at most.
Here's a 35% shot from 2007.
06-19-07 002.jpg

Good morning. It's cloudy and 44.
My wife was off the breathing machine, and almost back to normal yesterday evening. The doctors are trying to figure out what happened, if and when it will happen again, and what to do to either prevent it recurring or treating it effectively if it does.
Good.

They were going to remove my mother's breathing tube today, but for some reason decided to wait. My brother and I have told them that when they do, and she deteriorates, not to reinsert it; at that point she's to receive palliative care only.

Morning -- FLO , How about a big garbage omelet this morning with a double order of bacon. Some sourdough toast to go with it?
I was just looking at the local weather site - we have had rain all but 1 day during the last 8 days. Problem is that the total is only slightly over 4 inches; however, we are ahead of the normal for the season. It came a small shower again just an hour ago!
Willie - nice pic of the layout - I spied the barrels made from the circuit board trimmings. You need a couple of boys with guns shooting at that snake!
OK - I would love to know how much the power company is charging to run that line? 20 years ago I had a nice 20 acres plot in the hills West of town here. It was at the end of a half-mile road from the main road that had a pole line along it. Power company wanted $27.00 a foot to bring power to the property - a total of 70,200 dollars. Eventually, I sold the property to a guy who built with solar and a propane generator (big one).

GUY - I missed it along the way - Where do you live that has those temps this time of year? Your "practice" scenic work looks nice and will get better along the way. Nice little display track.

Spousal Unit and I had a nice quiet anniversary dinner at home with a shrimp salad and salmon with veggies.
Store shelves are still mostly empty as of yesterday morning - I even had trouble finding Sourdough bread - very little fresh beef - fish was plentiful.

Terry - That's good news on the homefront. Prayers that more improbement is on the way.

Beady - A prayer for you and your brother's position as well - positive thoughts that things will go smoothly.

That is all for now - later

Patrick ... I like the photo of the GReat Northern heater car . GN had several of them, and they did not all look the same. GN used them for heating passenger trains with steam if the locomotive did not have its own steam generator. I have an HO GN heater car made by Rapido which actually is a model of Canadian National heater car which Rapido painted in GN colors .

Boris... I like the photo of the Denver Zephyr. I watched the DZ and other CB&Q trains from my home as I grew up. DZ was always a very long train.

Terry ... It is good to hear your wife’s condition is improving.

Everybody... Have a nice day.

Mikey - I am pretty picky about the vehicles I collect. I model 1957 so there is nothing newer than that. There are a couple of Oxford Diecast that I can pick up. There is the 54 Pontiac in tan and the 58 Cadillac in red. I do have these two in another color.
Chet- you do have an amazing collection of vehicles that mirrors actual ownership in most locales. That is why your layout looks so realistic.
( Well, that and a high skill level.) I'll try to be only a little bit green with jealousy in honor of St Paddy;s day.

GUY - I missed it along the way - Where do you live that has those temps this time of year?
I live in Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada. Somewhere a little left of middle in the province. And our weather is actually a lot nicer than it sounds. We only get into the -30's for a few days in the winter. Although, that could be in any month. A very comfortable -15 or so, is more normal.

I ice-fished with the wife today, and the lake ice is still 3' thick. So we should be able to fish into May.
Once again, the wife caught a 15 incher, and I was skunked. I think she's putting perfume on her lure. The wind was too bad, so we were only out a couple of hours. Believe me, the winds are far worse than the cold. Only other people on the lake were a man and a child; far, far away.

Jim - Those steamer photos are beautiful. That's the kind of impression I'm trying to build with my rock face. In Alberta, our Rundle rock is more grey than red/brown, though.

Have a great afternoon.
Guy

Afternoon All,

Did some chores today then drove up to see a friend that has both mine kits I have been looking at for the layout. One is from BTS and the other is Sierra West. Both are about the same price. The Sierra West kit has a lot of beautiful castings but is more of a western style kit and the BTS is more of a eastern style but not a lot of castings. Decisions, decisions. I may end up with both, but I only need one initially.

Joe- Interesting thoughts and neat pictures.

Terry- Great news.

Patrick- Interesting car.

Willie- He doesn't sound very neighborly. Love all the animals.

Guy- Nice job on the rock face. I worked with a friend from the Calgary area.

Beady- Sorry to hear about your Mom's medical problems.

Jim- Neat pictures.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back