Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windy in GA, 21 gusting to 28, Wind Mill getting a good workout. As mentioned the other day, expected the new machine. It arrived on time, spent Saturday uncrating, lifting, placing it in it's new home.

greg

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 152
You know the broken drill bit ended my install of feeders. My yard tracks were dead in the water. I did manage to get power to two of the leads so I can do some stuff. I have a dead spot coming into the yard but I haven't wired up my turnouts like I want. Which is what I was working on when I broke my last bit. So I went back to just running my trains. Decided to show my daughter how the operations on the layout is supposed to go. Needless to say it wasn't as flawless as my first try at it. Alot of missed hooks. Of course missed hookups opened the door to my daughter getting the giggles [emoji52]. Move forward to pulling the loads from the mine. Daddy that's the coal that is going to Santa for all the bad kids. Well yes it is! And of course I get asked why my trains are moving so slow. To which I didn't really have an answer that she would understand. At any rate it was a fun dad and daughter train adventure. As for the video I posted. I wouldn't solder the tops of my rails. I've always seem to have known that the solder needs to be on the sides of the rails. But to each his own?

Justin

Good morning. 24 degrees with clear skies. Should be a nice day.

Terry - Have you contacted your landlord about paying for the additional electric needed to keep you from freezing? Hope he coughs up some bucks.

Johnny - Glad that you were able to find some things that you needed for the layout. wish we had more shows and closer to where I live.

Willie - I did have trains running the entire time I was working on the blacksmith shop. Had to have something to do while the glue was drying. It still need more work but again, waiting for glue to dry is a pain. Here's another photo from a different angle.

20180325_150926.jpg

The weekend are about the only time I get to work on the layout so I have to make the best use of the time.

David - I can understand your frustration. What a pain.

Ken D&J - I had thought about making my own transition from code 70, which is what all visible track is to code 83 which is in all of my hidden staging track. At the time I was doing this, code 70 flex track was out of stock with no idea of when it would be available again. This was a long time ago. Fund a Shinohard transition for 83 to 70 and jumped on it. Made things a lot easier.

Greg - You need a bigger shop. Looking great. Quite the set up you have there.

Justin - I always keep multiple drill bits handy just for instances like yours. Your daughter is right on to of things with the coal.

Here's a rai photo for today.

6a731348ca82e857478d017f6ee84be2.jpg

Later

Johnny, log in to your icloud account, and go to "find my iphone". It should list your ipad, and its location.

Good Morning Everyone....sunny and seasonal again here in Wisconsin. Rain coming.

Worked on my background structure most of the day yesterday. Added signs, light weathering, roofing, chimney a and the load platform. Today, a coat of Dull Kote and wire the five wall mounted light fixtures and wire internally.

I'll post some photos soon.

That's all folks.

Greg

Morning Fellows ... Chet is trying to pay me back for that last s**w he received. It's 36 here this morning - Did I miss the summer and fall? High is expected to be 65 and sky is severe clear.

Neighbor's car to the shop this morning; Will return later.

Chet Your scene is lookin real good.

GREG in GA - Nice setup in your shop - Always wanted one of those machines!

Greg in WI - Too bad you missed out on the "patched" loco. He who hesitates ......

Good afternoon, it's sunny and 42.
Per the mechanical inspector, the new furnace will have to be removed, separated from the air conditioning housing, raised 18", then reinstalled using new joining ductwork.

Everyone - - I'm back!! (Does that remind you of a scene from the movie "Independence Day"?)

God my iPad - it turned up in lost and found at the church. Terry - thanks for that tip - never having lost any of my devices I didn't know that this was a way to locate them. I'll file that for future reference.

Here's a photo of my "loot" from the train show - woulda-coulda-shoulda got more, but didn't. Still, all this for $97, plus that $10 gift certificate I won as a door prize - - minus $7 admission. A good morning.

TrainShowPurchases3_2018.jpg

Truckdad: Apologies for the late reply. EL Portal, is at the extreme East End of the Merced River canyon which is the location of the two logging inclines.
The information comes from, The Timberman.
The incline on the South face of the canyon is very steep for most of it assent to the top. While it does have some milder grades of about 20% near the bottom but the majority of it's 6,340 ft length was a grade of about 78% ! Want to hitch a ride? That's the way the loggers could go up to work or down to get to try town. I've read that the ride on the loaded log cars, channel frame type was so nerve wracking many new men only lasted a day or two before they quit. I've also seen pictures where cars would derail and wind up on their side or almost upside down.

The Timberman is a very detailed and interesting reading.
DAVID The wife and I stayed at the hotel in El Portal twice and if I remember right, one can still see the original lines right of way along the river. I see a motorcycle trip up the Merced river canyon this summer now that my interest has been spurred. Here is a picture I scanned from my book of the 78% incline you mentioned.
Dave PVYVRR.jpgThere is a car 1/2 way down.

Howdy.

We returned home from Cincinnati late last night. Good trip.

I’ll catch up with your posts later.

Terry - What's with these inspectors? Maybe they're simply justifying their place on the surface of the planet. What a sham.

Here are a couple of more photos from the train show this past Saturday here in Springfield MO:

TrainShowLayout1.jpgTrainShowLayout2.jpgMar2018TrainShowAttendance.jpg

The local model RR club, OMRA (Ozarks Model Railroad Association), hosts two train shows a year, one in March and the other usually in September. This is their 40th year, so this show was especially big with more vendors, etc.

The installers have removed and reinstalled the furnace as specified.
Waiting for the electrician now.

Hurry up and wait. By the time they get this project done. you'll need air conditioning and then that will probably crap out with your luck.

At least life isn't dull . Wonder what the next FUBAR will be? Not laughing at you, your plight is to serious for that.

Wish we could help. Only thing to offer is Prayers and Best wishes.

Phil

Chet. ... the rural scene with with the trailer looks fantastic.

Johnny. ... that looks like it was a great train show.

Truck Dad ... I like the historic photo .

Car fans .... who recalls fender skirts, Continental kits, and curb feelers ? ... I still remember my grandfather fussing at the the new cars because they had no running boards . ... when did emergency brakes start being called hand brakes?

Well this is another let down.
I ordered a new video editor (computer) back on 28 Feb for B&H Video in New York. Thing cost close to $5K to process professional video.
Their web site says the computer would be shipped within 14 business days which would put that at 20 March. The order confirmation provided a progress status page that I could follow the process by. I waited patiently and checked the web page occasionally, but no progress at all from the day the order was placed. All the way to 20 March. No progress. I called B&H Video on 21 March to check the status. They had no idea what the status was and said they would get back in touch with me. I got an email on 23 March that said the computer had been shipped from a subcontractor and it would be delivered on 26 March, today. I stayed home today in the event I would have to sign for the delivery. No idea what carrier would deliver it or what time of day. 8pm now and still no delivery. I guess I should just keep taking personal leave time to be here or wait until I find an attempted delivery notice on my door then take a few more days to arrange pickup at the distribution point.
Some folks just don't think this stuff through.

The time has come for some major changes. I'm going to have to admit that I can't keep running Vbulletin 4 forever. It's just too much of a target for hackers. It's unclear how much of the threat is real and how much of it is a false positive, but it really doesn't matter. If the anti-virus programs are scaring people away, the site can't continue to grow and get traffic, whether or not there's any actual risk.

I'll be exploring my options and migrating to a new platform in the near future.

For more info and to add your input, see this thread.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...-Software-Vote

The time has come for some major changes. I'm going to have to admit that I can't keep running Vbulletin 4 forever. It's just too much of a target for hackers. It's unclear how much of the threat is real and how much of it is a false positive, but it really doesn't matter. If the anti-virus programs are scaring people away, the site can't continue to grow and get traffic, whether or not there's any actual risk.

I'll be exploring my options and migrating to a new platform in the near future.

For more info and to add your input, see this thread.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...-Software-Vote
I added a comment and vote, I hope everybody else will do the same--even if it's only to say they don't know. At least we'll know people are aware of the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back