Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin: Have a great trip into coal county. We used to travel from Wisconsin to many parts of the USA and Canada on our Gold Wing Motorcycle. One trip took us into coal county and every model railroader should see the train action along the route. All the staging and loading trackage. The scenery is hard to beat as well.

Greg

Afternoon All,

Have got all the last minute things and packing completed. We drive down to Miami:( tomorrow morning and take a Carnival cruise. Unfortunately for you guys I'll be back late next Thursday or on Friday. We have a local friend staying at our house and he will be taking care of the animals and things.

Chet- Nice layout pictures. Can you cut off the end connection and wire it like you normally would?

D- Thank you.

Toot- That sounds like the crap going on in D.C.

Willie- Grandt Line is going out of business I believe in June. There will still be Tichy and NESL. If you need anything they are still accepting orders thru April (I believe).

Garry- Great layout picture.

I hope everyone has a good night.

CURT- Enjoy the cruise. Don't forget the seasick pills. Sailing ON the water isn't as smooth as sailing UNDER the water.
Watch out for the crazies on the hiways. And in Miami.

Phil

Good afternoon. Late checking in as I was up a bit past my regular bed time. The wife got delayed in Salt Lake City on her way in. There was a line of 10 planes waiting to be deiced and the wait was an hour and a half. She finally made it home at 1 AM.

Doyle - Thanks for posting the photo and sharing your brother with us. ther4e are many here on the forum who will miss him.

Willie
- Nice work on the feed store.

Sherrel
- If you were closer I wouldn't have any problem watching your pooch.

Toot - Sure is a lot of politics with the club down there.

Garry - Another excellent photo, as usual. Haven heard a thing from Dave. Crickets.

Justin
- Have fun on your trip to the coal fields. Many years ago we did some snooping around there when we went to ride on the Cass Scenic Railway. We had time to kill with no where in particular to go and really enjoyed all of the small towns and folks there. Waiting to see your photos.

Curt -
Have fun on the cruise. Spent a lot of time in the Caribbean when I was stationed out of Mayport. Had a lot of fun down there. Didn't have to pay for it either.

Didn't feel like doing much today except sit around an veg out after being up so late the night before. I did put the Bowser Pennsy box car together. It was not the one I had ordered. I ordered a single door box car, but do like this one as it has the rounded roof where it joins the sides. A simple kit. All details are cast on, but very fine detail. Took only 15 minutes to assemble. Comes with metal wheels and plastic knuckle couplers which I did replace with Kadee 158's.

20180316_132507.jpg 20180316_132522.jpg

A nice car. The Rock Island car in front is an old Kadee car I picked up when they first introduced their line of rolling stock.Only a few more to get for the eastern railroads.

Don't really want to go bowling tonight, but my wife is the league secretary so I guess I don't have much choice.

Later.

Chet, Greg, and Curt .... Thanks for the comments about my photo.

Curt ..... Enjoy the cruise.

Toot .... Sounds like a political mess for sure.

Justin .... Have fun with your WV rail fanning. I hope you get good photos.

Chet .... Nice photos with your eastern railroads boxcars. ... I also have a few western lines cars intermixed with the western RR cars.

I wonder what would happen if all the folks who voted the President in were to leave AMRA?

There have been quite a few comments on my clubs situation, but I'll answer your's as it raises the question of consequences. I myself have been in favor of just doing that, but in light of events, it may be just what these 3 who seem to be at the core of resistance to change, actually would want. I think I did report much earlier that it came to light in one of our meetings, that the fed com had put to the associated club's committees, the proposal that they shift all their assets over to the federal organisation i.e. including any properties they own. That was rejected firmly. This is where my suspicions of the fed com's intents began. With the evidence of the financial statement, allied to the attitude of the fed com and now this latest extraordinary attempt to silence and block any further interference in it's internal workings, I have expressed my view to my President that this is a crisis of procedural and constitutional importance. I have put forward that the Govt body that oversees these types of organisation be immediately contacted, presented with the facts and asked to step in, sack the fed com and freeze the assets of AMRA Inc Federal, and conduct an investigation of it's affairs. I haven't had a response as yet as I only wrote that email late last night, but I believe it is the only way to find a way out of this.

If the clubs or members voluntarily leave the current organisation and that forces it to wind up, the question of what happens to the monies being held by the fed com arises. I also believe that is another reason why these 3 are resisting so vehemently (the now ex President also told of the verbal abuse he received from one of them, being sworn at repeatedly), they don't want this nice inflow of cash to stop. The fact that a substantial amount of it is being diverted into other accounts for whatever reason, I also feel deserves accountability, but that seems to be too hard a question.

The clubs will have to tread very carefully now, I'll be pushing for a motion to support my proposition, as I'm sure an emergency meeting will be called for very soon.

Toot,
I take it that someone wants your model railroad assets for other purposes?
Sounds like they're sayin the club's treasuries aren't enough and they want the models and real estate as well. If they aren't model railroaders, count on it all being liquidated and the next parliamentary picnic will be lavishly funded with your former interests.

Toot,
I take it that someone wants your model railroad assets for other purposes?
Sounds like they're sayin the club's treasuries aren't enough and they want the models and real estate as well. If they aren't model railroaders, count on it all being liquidated and the next parliamentary picnic will be lavishly funded with your former interests.

My thoughts exactly. My own club should know how this works. Funny how long forgotten memories come back. Not long after I joined, I recall a conversation between some of the members about how they got screwed by an earlier treasurer, who was also very secretive and reticent with questions. Then he disappeared and so did the money in the bank acc. I might remind them of that in case any of our present ones think the idea is too far fetched.

With what has happened with the President, only 2 meetings into his tenure, and all he did was put forward a plan to basically, bring AMRA into the modern day, I draw the conclusion that this group know that he cannot be allowed to find out what they're up to. This was a desperate move to make sure he can't. I can't see any possible way forward now, that will save the central organisation, except they have to go, or we do, and if we do voluntarilly in particular, we, the members will be big losers. The members and the clubs just can't say "Oh well, never mind' it'll all come out in the wash", 'cause we'll be the ones getting scrubbed.

Toot, this is supposed to be a fun hobby and not for profit. I would have your club tell the AMRA to take a hike and go on your own. They sound like leeches and offer pittance in return. I would not want the headache or the hassle.
That was my initial response. I had heard over the years, remarks of dissatisfaction with the federal body and whether it was worth it, and when this kerfuffle blew up, also said "Let's just ditch it". Having gone along with the attempts to bring about beneficial change at the last AGM's election, and seeing that be be finagled away, I really haven't shifted from that basic position. But, I hate smart-asses, and if I can do anything to make their asses smart, I will do so. That is also fun.

BB- Spent many hours playing that game. Almost as many playing Monopoly. Many long years ago.
Phil

Oh, hi folks! Clear and 51* should get up to 82* later. Spring breakers will love that..
Happy Saint Patrick's Day . 'Tis the wearing a the green and drinking GREEN beer day. Enjoy!

Phil

Toot: the AMRA reminds me of an HOA, the treasure always skips with the money. I think clubs should be loyal to its members that are local. They are smart enough to manage themselves.

Justin: if you already know the following, please disregard. Decals will dry out with age, when placed in water breakup. I have read, however never tried it. That first painting them with fingernail clear polish will keep that from happening. I assume by painting them, the application would be via airbrush.

BBwells: I lived it and very grateful I had the chance ............ are things better today ............. very questionable ....

POD: clean & paint the stand for the new machine, expected to be delivered Wed. Seeing a tractor & trailer in the hood a hobby mechanist friend will call and say was the rig I saw for you..... LOL yes.

greg

ps: I sign my name, lower case so folks will know it's steelwheels posting

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Saint Patrick's Day Morning. Starting the day off at 51° and partly cloudy in the East. Only expecting 75° today after 83° yesterday. Spent too much time outside doing stuff yesterday and I am a bit slow-moving this morning. Headed for Dallas this evening for my daughter's 40th B-day party. Looks like the corned beef supper here is tomorrow. They were on sale this week at Kroger and I bought three, two for the freezer for later consumption.
I was able to spend some time in the train shed, mostly doing miscellaneous stuff. Continued adding ground foam, looked for the picket fencing to go around the farm family graveyard, cleaned some stray ballast off some track, looked for the picket fencing some more, glued together some pillars for the highway overpass that will divide the scene that I am working on from the staging yard, looked for the picket fencing, and finally just ran some trains for about a half hour. Cleaning and organizing does no good if you don't remember where you put stuff!:mad:

Doyle - Thanks for the updated obit for Eric.
Johnny - Your day outdoors Thursday sounds a lot like my day yesterday, except I didn't leave the estate. Fertilizer, landscape blocks, trimming vegetation, and in my case stacking firewood.
Garry - Another great scene and photo yesterday. Keep them coming. I was also recently thinking of Dave Banta, hasn't been around since around Labor Day.
Justin - Have a safe trip. Looking forward to the photos, I really like the landscape in your part of the world.
Curt - Have a great cruise. While I am sad to hear that Grandt Line is going to close, it doesn't really affect me much directly, as I have a drawer full of leftover doors and windows. I'm sure that someone will purchase the molds and resume the production soon.
Chet - I was meaning to ask about the Kadee #158's. Most of my rolling stock has #5's or #148's, and even though I burnish the mating surfaces of all of them, I still have trouble coupling with the #158's. They stay coupled in trains, but really don't hook up well. Have you seen this?
Toot - Your mess down under sounds like our mess in Washington DC.

Everybody have a great St Patrick's Day, and have an awesome weekend. It is said that in Ireland, today is the only day that you can hit on your best friend's wife without getting in trouble.

Willie

Good morning. It's raining and 37.
We still have no heat. A new LP furnace is scheduled for Tuesday installation.
My wife is still on a walker, and can't get around. She can stand and move a step or two with her cane, so is improving slowly.
The car is still broken, the place I got the repair parts from guaranteed delivery for yesterday, and of course they aren't here yet. The seller said it sucks to be me.

Toot: the AMRA reminds me of an HOA, the treasure always skips with the money. I think clubs should be loyal to its members that are local. They are smart enough to manage themselves.

Justin: if you already know the following, please disregard. Decals will dry out with age, when placed in water breakup. I have read, however never tried it. That painting them with fingernail clear polish will keep that from happening.

BBwells: I lived it and very grateful I had the chance ............ are things better today ............. very questionable ....

greg

ps: I sign my name, lower case so folks will know it's steelwheels posting
I actually lost a set because of that. They were already aged before I got them. I got them as part of a multiple item eBay sale. These decals aren't going to stay in the package long. I'll most likely be putting them to use tomorrow as I really want to work on my SD40 this weekend.

Justin

morning guys its a brisk 48* here in sunny florida , I'm on the defensive today I have to intercept a usps package that is coming that the estrogen based lifeform doesn't know is getting delivered !!!! so looks like I'm hanging out on the porch today :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back