Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
D. ....

I am very sad to learn your brother passed away. Eric was very much a part of the Coffee Shop, and we will all miss him. I recall the day he posted he had been diagnosed with cancer, and we all were sad to hear that. As months went by, each of us tried to encourage Eric as he struggled to battle cancer. He certainly was in our prayers throughout his battle. We were pleased when it look like he defeated the enemy when he was able to return to GA. In his last post that I saw, he expressed frustration about not being able to eat real food, but he did not sound an alarm suggesting how seriously ill he was.

D, based on what Eric said here, we can tell he was blessed with being part of a good and loving family. Your family has my sincerest condolences. When the Lord takes one of his children, the rest of us must accept that. It is comforting to know has moved to a better place. (I base that on my own near-death experiences.) Thanks for sharing the photo of Eric when he was a young model railroader.

Let us know if there is anything we can do. Please feel welcome to continue posting in the Coffee Shop as long as you want. (We'll gladly help you become a model railroader, too if you want. )

I am dispatching my Chapel Car to the Coffee Shop for this who wish to have a quiet place for virtual praying.

36805329775_05aa27311a_b.jpg

Terry .

I saw your comment about your wife falling and hurting her knee. Sorry to her about that. Continued prayers for her health.

D - What a shock. Condolences to you and the family. Gonna miss that fighting spirit.

Phil

D - Absolutely tragic news regarding Eric's passing. Prayers for him and and condolences for all of his family members. As others have posted, we were all pulling for him over the last two years and it appeared that he had beaten the devil. We should all rejoice that he is now in a better place with his maker. Like Ken in MD, I too will request a Mass for him.

Willie

Good morning. It's cloudy with rain drizzling, and 40.
Forecast for tomorrow of an inch or more of snow. This after it was nearly 80 degrees here a couple of weeks ago...

Howdy- Clear and 44*, should get to77* or so.

Still shocked by ERIC's passing .

Prayers for all of us
Phil

Morning fellers. Got some more snow falling this weekend. Not sure on how much accumulation we are supposed to get. I placed an order for some microscale Chessie decals yesterday. I plan on finishing up my bluebox SD40 soon.

Justin

Good Morning All. 60° and mostly cloudy. Looking for a high again today around 75°. Actually did some mowing yesterday, mainly some dead remnants out in the "back 40" that I didn't bother with after the first frost. The results reminded me that I need to install three new blades on the mower deck that sadly I cannot locate right now. I have them but just cannot remember where I put them. Well after 37 years of doing it myself, I am "letting the moths out of my wallet" and I am having a professional chimney sweep come out and clean the stovepipe today. My wife doesn't really want me getting on the roof any more is the primary reason. Thinks that I am too old to be going up there; I didn't bother telling her that I was up there about a month ago trimming tree branches.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I did some more ground cover, and did some painting on the distribution center. In between, I switched out some industries that I have neglected for a while. I mentioned a few weeks ago that I needed to visit my neighbor and use his table saw to make some 2" plywood guardrails for my removable crossover section. Well it turns out that he gave the saw away shortly after he removed three fingers from his left hand about six years ago. So I am going to have to set up my saw horses, Skilsaw, straightedge and C-clamps to jury-rig my own.

Garry - Forgot to mention it yesterday, but I think that you did an excellent job weathering the F3A's. I haven't yet attempted to weather a diesel even though I have done several hundred freight cars.
Sam - Thanks for the suggestion, I like it. I have everything that I need to make it happen. That idea also encompasses Chet and Curt's suggestions as well.
Chet - Thanks also for your suggestion. I see where I can combine it with Sam's and really add an interesting scene. That is a nice looking B&M boxcar. It shouldn't need much weathering if the build date is 1957. Regarding Bowser, they generally don't make rolling stock that is appropriate for my locale or era, but I did get a set of their TTAX spine cars a few years ago that have worked almost flawlessly for me. Like most spine cars, they don't track well until you add enough extra weight. Boxcars are easier to add weight to.
Sherrel - They finally did away with state-wide auto inspections in Texas last year except for emissions in six urban areas. Wasn't actually that bad, in my county the fee was $7.50 a year and took less than five minutes. Even cracked windshields passed as long as it didn't obstruct the drivers view too much. They passed my car(s) numerous times with the "check engine" light on!
Terry - Best wishes for your wife. Hopefully she will recover soon, and that you get no grief from the insurance company.

Still shocked by Eric's passing. We had many good conversations together in the past. He will be missed. And a special thanks to you D, for passing the information to us. Sometimes fellow forum members disappear without a trace and we are left wondering and we are unable to pass along condolences and prayers.

Everybody have a great day and I hope that the weekend treats you well.

Willie

Good morning gang,
:eek: Wow, this is not how I wanted to start off, but I must pffer my sincere condolences to D and the rest of Erics family. He will be missed here deeply.
In other news
Had a great time atkEN's house last night running trains. I didnt realize the steel mill switcher would be so busy! Fun! Thanks buddy!
Well, gotta get back to work
TTYL

D- You and your family have my condolences and prayers. Eric was a fighter and I'm shocked at his passing. I thought he was past the worst of his health issues. I'm glad he was able to get back to his home in GA that he was so happy to be at. I will miss him. RIP Big E.

This is very sad that we lost a great modeller who was so passionate about the hobby, my condolences to D and the rest of D's family.

Good morning from Leftist Country!

D: I am still in shock from reading all the posts from members concerning Erick. I am so verry sorry to hear of his passing! I too thought that - although far from being in top notch health - that he was clawing back. I express my sincere condolences and prayers for both Erick and your entire family.

It's cloudy here today and expecting some rain - a rare event around here; it sort of matches the mood of the Coffee Shop of losing a great person and modeler. Temp is only expected to reach 60 degrees today ... down from a high of 73 yesterday.

Terry - I must have missed it somehow that your wife took a spill. I'm sorry to here that and wish her a speedy recovery.

Willie - The last time I was on a roof was when they were installing the solar panels on my roof. I went up there to just have a look - house is two story and the roof is not really that steep - but, I was not feeling very sure-footed and decided that I had no business up there at all. I would have been 71 at that time. Once upon a time I used to go to the top of a 124 foot derrick and hang out in the middle while stringing up a traveling block for with a roustabout crew ... No More!

Went down and gave my mechanic a couple hundred bucks yesterday .. he appreciated it; I told him that I knew that he had spent 2-3 hours working on the car and no excuse for not charging me something for it! He and his partner are really more into restoration work now rather than just everyday maintenance. They currently are restoring a 23 Window 58/59 VW bus along with several other projects. Bob said that bus will be worth 100k plus when complete!

In other news
Had a great time atkEN's house last night running trains. I didnt realize the steel mill switcher would be so busy! Fun! Thanks buddy!
Karl it was a blast!:cool: I'm glad I printed up all those extra steel mill switch lists to keep you occupied.

I was all set to post last night about how much fun I had hosting the op session, but BigE's demise completely overshadowed that.

Phil - the B&M boxcar you sent me arrived yesterday, just need to do some weathering on it to make it look like the one I climbed on as a kid, then I'll have it on the layout!

Today is not going to be much fun for me: I have to do my taxes!:mad: Since 2009, we've always owed money because my kids got too old for us to claim the Child Tax Credit, my mortgage interest deduction keeps shrinking, and SWMBO does all these small side jobs that wind up generating a bunch of 1099's of untaxed income.

D....my condolences to you and all the family on Eric’s passing. He was a fighter and a passionate modeller who was always decent to all of us here. He will be missed.

Gene

Not so good morning to all. 21 degrees and sunny.

I couldn't stop thinking about Eric all night. I considered him a good friend and over the years we had many phone conversations. Last Wednesday he had call me while I was driving around running errands. I usually turn my phone off while driving but this time I did not, and told him I would get back to him as I dislike driving and having a conversation on the phone. When I got home I got caught up doing shores and never returned his call. Bummer.

He really enjoyed his trains and I could feel his excitement during our conversations. During one phone call he was talking about trying to build a mountain. I had a number of rock molds and sent them to him and he built a really nice looking mountain. He was certainly proud of it and did an outstanding job on it. He even named it after me. I will really miss him. D - thanks for letting us know about him last night and apparently he went peacefully which is good. We have all lost a good man and modeler.

Ken D&J - Your post last night Was beautiful. Eric is now in a better place.

Terry - Hope your wife gets well soon. Torn muscles are quite painful.

Willie
- I am waiting to see what you do with that space. I'm sure you'll come up with something good. Staying off the roof is a good idea. When we replaced out rood a few years ago, we moved the Direct TV dish from the roof to the porch. Sometimes when it snowed, we would lose reception and I would have to climb up there and clear the dish, sometimes in the dark. Getting too old for that crap. Nice to hear that the Bowsers cars are decent.

Sherrel -
The donation to the mechanic was a nice gesture. One you find a good mechanic, it pays to stick with them.

Ken in MD - It sounds like you had a pretty good op session. I was thinking about Karl's WM locomotive. Now that I have a Pennsy box car, a WM will probably be on the list to find.

Phil - The ACL box car did arrive yesterday. Pristine. All it needs is a little weathering and metal wheels, which I always have on hand.

Maybe I can spend some time in the train room today. I hope.

Later.

keN - Check arrived- we are even. Thank you.

Chet- Glad you like yours.

Hope y'all have a good day. Prayers for all,
Phil

100k for VW 23 window bus!!! Just imagine what our model trains will be worth in 50 years.

Funny hey.

Greg

PS: Those VW mini buses were fun to drive. But, I just wish I had my three old VW bugs that once owned.

D. - my condolences to you and your family.

I used to enjoy Eric's down to earth comments and how he was able to make his "beer run" no matter how he was feeling or what the weather was like.

He reminded me a lot of Jeffrey who this thread is named after in that they both suffered from one health setback after another but still managed to forge ahead and think about others first. I think that model railroading kept them both going as well.

He will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back