Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe- I hear there’s another forest fire in Burlington County this week. Hope they get that one under control soon.
Mike, didn't know about that one at all. all the local media is concerned about this week, are National Issues, that don't affect Jersey. Hopefully, yesterday's rainfall helped the Fire Fighters.
That Bear photo was cool...Almost like something Yogi would do...;)
On a side note, Train news of the day in case some haven’t seen it is Amtrak train hit a dump truck yesterday.
Gary: That's the second incident within a week, involving an Amtrak Train at an unmarked private crossing. Both, involved three fatalities.
My problem with Superliners and other double level passenger cars is they are top heavy and sway under normal conditions. Add the tight lock couplers, and striking a dump truck broadside and you get that type of result.

Retirement has been good for me, as it gives me time to support medical practitioners! :(

Willie: Ah ha! You noticed too, eh? I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

Considerably cooler today, only 72° presently, sunny and going to 80°

OK Tech gurus,

I can use some help...

looks like wife's HP Elitebook and docking station uses a proprietary? HP brand HDMI cable

View attachment 147966

White cable is the "standard" HDMI I've always seen
Black Cable is what is currently connected to her monitor.

View attachment 147967

View attachment 147968

The monitor has a second port labeled HDMI... am I able to daisy chain another monitor off this monitor? or do I need another of the proprietary HP cables?

Here's the connector on the monitor end:

View attachment 147969

The Black one is not HDMI. It is Display Port. You can easily find DisplayPort cables on Amazon

Dead heading to Spanish Fork which is South of SLC

I almost bought a house in Spanish Fork back in around 94. (In the mean time I've lived in NH and various places in Utah).

Until recently I would go to Spanish Fork periodically for a monthly Blues Jam. They've discontinued them due to the sponsor leaving the company that was hosting but Spanish Fork is a nice area. I live about an hour north at the moment.

Good luck on the drive to Cedar Rapids

Good morning all,

72° and sunny. We had some overnight rain, seems like it rains almost every day. However, with all the sunshine the grass and fields are really growing.

Currently pesky mosquito buzzing my computer screen. An unfortunate byproduct of all our rain.

Flo - Coffee and a carmel roll, please

Mike in Hub City - wonder if the Rice Lake bear was over here messing with our bird feeders yesterday? Keep on talking on getting a trail cam but not getting one. Plenty of other stuff to putz with. BTW used to go to Tomahawk scout camp near Rice Lake. The Dakota site was right by the mess hall and on a lake shore. The Seneca site was about a 2 mile hike. When stuck out there, we spent most of our time hiking back and forth to the mess hall. Should have got our hiking merit badge for that, however did not reach the 5 mile mark.

Willie - I love your layout shots

Guy - hope pulling the tooth helps, but I am afraid you are in for more pain for a couple days, at least. I spent $3600 at my dentist last week getting 3 crowns and a filling. I had been putting off the crowns so no surprise there.

I did not work on the layout last night, however am formulating a plan of attack to figure out the short in my system.

Did take this random pic, too bad there is no one driving the SUV:

IMG_2294.JPG

I like the way the vegetation turned out, also the sandstone retaining wall. Made from real fake rocks (hydrocal chips).

more later, Dave LASM

Well, howdy there internet peeps. It's Troy again.

Got the cable for the wife's new monitor. We'll get it set up this evening after she gets off work.

Since the circus that is politics is what I'm watching this afternoon, I'll post what's on the grill instead...

First, put in the slo-roller:

Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 12.48.36 PM.png

Get the grill up to about 250-ish... (it shows 300, but I'm shooting for 270ish) put in the top of the slo-roller, the grates...

Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 12.44.46 PM.png

Then add the Brisket (flat only) from Costco.

Screenshot 2022-06-28 at 12.44.55 PM.png

The probe is a MeatR brand that does both internal meat, and ambient inside the grill.

Rub is Salt, Pepper, Lowry's, a bit of Garlic Powder, a Bit of Onion Powder, and a smidge of Cayenne Pepper. Used a mustard binder, even though I did a dry-brine last night (sprinkle with kosher salt, let it sit in fridge). Surprisingly, there wasn't a lot of moisture on the meat. Normally, I don't have to use a binder to get the rub to stick.

I'll be watching the grill while the circus in DC plays on my screen.

Politics (smirk) (shrug)
Cut down a truck load of low hanging tree branches around the yard this morning. Cut most of them shorter then threw em out in the woods behind the house. I use a DeWalt 15' pole saw. Very good cutting chain on it. Battery powered.
Havin a cigar at the lounge
16564428192641958170758223525333.jpg

I'll do some work on the abandoned round house this afternoon after a long ride back home on the Goldwing.
I still have an Amtrak F40 to finish refurbing too.

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those envying Willie's tomato haul. It's Troy again.

question: Any Canucks on here from the, or familiar with the area along the north side of Lake Erie? I'm wanting to create a fictional setting for a new book series somewhere along there. Been up to London, Ontario for the Shakesphere festival, and all I remember from driving inland was a LOT of farmland. Towns were few and far.

But, along the shores of Lake Erie I expect a lot of small towns wherever they could build a port.

Are there any forested areas? Or is it developed with housing and businesses?
I am finally getting ripe tomatoes but only enough to scoff, not enough to harvest and process, then again I love tomatoes and will eat them until the acid upsets my mouth, doh. not anywhere in Willies ball park, and my leaves are looking a little yellow I think they may need a feed.

It is the advent of the paving crew!!! I spent a few years following behind this train of workers, inspecting the bituminous. Even when standing still, they work harder than most.

Dave
Toothache,
when not excruciating salt wash,
when o-en cut, you can go peroxide, but be really careful, and do. To swallow,
but if the tooth is rotten, then I think you have to bite the proverbial and go see a dentist
i had a saw ‘tooth’ and it turned out my gum was cut, salt wash, peroxide an salty drinks have almost cured it, and despite the fact I was convinced it was the tooth it wasn’t and have avoided the dentist…grins.

If I had the money (and a wife who would agree) I'd be moving to 50-100 acres in Montana...

Alas, I don't have the money for that sort of independent living, and the wife is a "city girl" from Japan and doesn't like being far away from Hospitals and other bits and pieces of modern life.
Once you get to our age, having a reasonably close hospital is a win, our nearest a and e is one hour, the local hospital 15 minutes does not do walk ins, it was meant too when it opened then cut backs, now you go online and get an appointment, go figure.and the services and beds they had seem snowballed, so I suspect empty wards, which is stupid, but hey ho cut backs.
Good Morning All. Cloudy and 72°. Barely made 89° yesterday, most likely the same today. The rain yesterday wasn't even measurable; it might have sprinkled for five minutes. Temperatures are supposed to stay in the low 90's until next Monday.

I took a day off from the garden yesterday while I irrigated. Those two 104°+ days when I was gone really dried out the soil. However I did mow extensively. Lack of rain has not affected parts of the yard, just the areas where the Bermuda grass is. I did have to wear the dust mask though, along with my hearing protection.
We (mostly my wife) made two pints of salsa yesterday, using 7 pounds of the ripest tomatoes we had. Used onions, bell peppers and Jalapenos from the garden as well. Salt was the only ingredient that came from the grocery store. We did not process and seal them, intending only to keep them refrigerated.

Thanks to everyone who liked or commented on the freight train yesterday; Smudge, Chad, Troy, Karl, Steve J, Hughie, Patrick, Louis, James, Dave B, OB Ken, Guy, Tom O, Tom, Sherrel, Rick, Gary, Joe.

I was hoping for a little more time out in the train shed yesterday than I actually had. Let's hope that today is better. I did do some more work on the billboard that I have started, mainly cutting angle brackets and gluing them on. No picture yet as there wasn't enough progress to make it worth while. I did some other stuff while glue was drying, but I don't remember what.
So something from the archives is in order. How about some random scenes from Gainesville taken between 4 and 7 years ago.
View attachment 147971
View attachment 147972
View attachment 147973
View attachment 147974
View attachment 147975

Patrick - Glenrio TX/NM is an interesting place. I think that there is still one resident there, and the TX/NM border there is still disputed. The whole town or what still exists, is barely only twice the size of my property at 31 acres. My property is 15 acres.
Todd - Mountains don't necessarily excite me, but I do wish that I had more trees. I originally planted 300 seedling trees here in 1981 as part of the Texas A&M windbreak program. It cost me $39.00 plus I had to water them weekly in the summer for 6 or 7 years. Sadly only about 50 still remain. the 100 pines didn't last more than 15 years in my alkaline soil, 50 Mulberry trees didn't survive the grasshopper plague in 2013, I took out a few with the lawnmower or lack of watering when I didn't remember where they were planted and the neighbors goats got their share. Mother Nature took some as well. Native Hackberries have filled in in most places.
Sherrel - Retirement has been good for me, as it gives me time to support medical practitioners! :(

Today is my #2 daughter's birthday, a date that she shares with John Elway and Elon Musk. My wife spent part of the day yesterday baking her a strawberry cake. We'll go see her tonight.
Everybody have a great day.
love the sheriff and the perp up against the wall.

AND that is the reason I still sit here -- too many medical problems!
The Spousal Unit wanted to sell the RV as she was concerned about me being too far from medical assistance!
It is Unfortunate that I have become to believe her.

So I said to her the other day: How can you be so beautiful and so stupid at the same time?
She replied: God made me beautiful so that you would be attracted to me; He made me stupid so that I would be attracted to you!
I like your wife :D and at the first opportunity I am throwing that at my other half lol.

I know you want to enjoy the RV and I don’t blame you, but be thankful your wife loves you enough to want to keep you alive.

I get a great payout if my other half snuffs it, luckily for him I prefer him to the cash. IF he snuffs it I plan on selling up, may change my name, and sneaking off before the kids find out, or buying two more dobermans and training them as attack dogs. I won’t be getting married again either, I plan on running through the cash 💷 and enjoying myself, I don’t do handbags, or really expensive 👠 , I have more than enough jewellery, I am anti foreign holidays nowadays with the way the world is, I have a great car 🚘 and not interested to buy a more expensive one, I have more railkit than I have room for, more land than I could cope with,honestly not certain what I would splash out on. oooh I always fancied a nuclear fall out shelter, maybe one with room for a railway, I could hide from the kids…grins.

I like your wife :D and at the first opportunity I am throwing that at my other half lol.

I know you want to enjoy the RV and I don’t blame you, but be thankful your wife loves you enough to want to keep you alive.

I get a great payout if my other half snuffs it, luckily for him I prefer him to the cash. IF he snuffs it I plan on selling up, may change my name, and sneaking off before the kids find out, or buying two more dobermans and training them as attack dogs. I won’t be getting married again either, I plan on running through the cash 💷 and enjoying myself, I don’t do handbags, or really expensive 👠 , I have more than enough jewellery, I am anti foreign holidays nowadays with the way the world is, I have a great car 🚘 and not interested to buy a more expensive one, I have more railkit than I have room for, more land than I could cope with,honestly not certain what I would splash out on. oooh I always fancied a nuclear fall out shelter, maybe one with room for a railway, I could hide from the kids…grins.
Nah! your more likely build the fallout shelter to hide from the kids, and turn the house into your train room.😁

Afternoon all,

Crazy day so far and not even working. Back to work in the morning. Not a peep out of the city, so they must really want me to have time off.

Interview Friday went fine, and I do expect them to call back. I will however not accept an offer as it's not really what I want to do after talking with them. More of a national back office helpdesk support and I really don't do helpdesk work. While I think I'd like a change, I may be close enough to retirement to stay put...

Willie: Real interesting in Glenrio as the Google maps street view show the town in December 2021 and what we saw had much of the town with a 6 foot chain-link fence and no trespassing signs around it. Actually falling more apart than it was 6 months ago.

Even though it was short, we had a good trip. Finding the older we get the less time we can spend in the car.

Few more pictures:

Lucille's in Oklahoma

20220625_101550.jpg

First 66 gas station on route 66 in Texas.
20220625_142654.jpg

Leaning tower in Texas:

20220625_150449.jpg

Cadillac Ranch outside of Amarillo:

20220625_165444.jpg

Gas station at Glenrio:

20220625_173421.jpg

Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari, New Mexico:

20220625_200311.jpg

Then of course I forgot the Conoco station in Shamrock Texas:

20220625_134115.jpg

If it looks familiar, it was the inspiration for Ramon's in the movie "Cars".

I am finally getting ripe tomatoes but only enough to scoff, not enough to harvest and process, then again I love tomatoes and will eat them until the acid upsets my mouth, doh. not anywhere in Willies ball park, and my leaves are looking a little yellow I think they may need a feed.
Our tomato plants look great, have a few blooms, but are a ways away from eating any.

My wife put in the garden this year, following my suggestion to plant vegetables rather than a bunch of flowers (we have them too)

Zucchini, Tomatoes, Red peppers, and eggplant. We can make a nice dish from them alone

Dave

Good Afternoon All. Still rather cool at 85°, still cloudy. At least the pool has cooled down to a pleasant 83°. It won't last long as the sun should be coming back out tomorrow.
Repairman just left, dishwasher is running. Glad that I called him instead of attempting to repair it myself. I was expecting a new electronic control panel at $250, plus service call. Turned out to be a rodent had chewed through the wire to the water inlet actuator. Wife was on the verge of just buying a new one at $1400. He just charged $243, a considerable savings and I didn't have to install a control panel myself or pay him to do it.
Time now for the train shed and then some pool/beer time.
See y'all tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back