Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all! 72 and humid heading for 92 with a heat index of 102. Hoping to remain indoors during the hottest part of the day but we'll see.

Some of the school higher ups coming today to do a walk through of the recently remodeled theater. I plan to tag along on that visit. Got a few other projects to work on today including installing a couple new security cameras and figuring out a network connection problem for a computer used by new students to register.

Hope you all have a great day!

Morning all,

Pop-up thunderstorms were severe overnight, although the worst went between us and the town that took the tornado about 6 weeks ago. Did get 3/4" of rain. I turned off the sprinkler system with the first part of the rain. Not sure if I'll turn it back on in time for Thursday's morning run or for Thursday's evening run. Currently 72° and mostly cloudy going for a high of 90°. A small relief from yesterday's 100°. Expecting some more pop-up thunderstorms this afternoon through tomorrow morning. Got to mow Friday afternoon as I want to go for the weekend. High of 102° predicted along with rain on the weekend. Figures. Want nice weather, don't plan a trip. 😉

Good morning from the south deck in So. Central Wisconsin. 66 heading to only 83f degrees which should make for a pleasant day. Yesterday it hit 96 on the property weather stations of which only 2 of the 3 are reporting to the house computer. That will give me a “must do” something today. Officially at the airport we hit 94 and it was very miserable with high humidities and barely a breeze.

I might go with Terry to the Farmers Market downtown near the Capital. Nowhere near the madness of the Saturday one around the Capital grounds, maybe 50 vendors compared to over 330 on Saturday. But better yet are the lack of the massive crowds, 10-15,000 total on Saturday, maybe a couple hundred per hour on Wednesdays.

Other then that nothing else is on the schedule. My car emailed me this morning that either the 10,000 mile maintenance is due or it has not been seen in 90 days. It’s the 90 days, so I will get the warranty service scheduled.

Enjoy your day

My office for the rest of the day.

20220622_133617.jpg

20220622_133148.jpg

Good Morning!
49F this morning with a mix of blue-n-grey. The guesser's keep threatening that it will rain again, and everyday they extend that prediction to the following day. I don't think they actually know.

It was such a beautiful day yesterday, that I decided to go for a hike with the dog. Passed through the CN staging area and walked a few miles of track, headed south towards Edson.

The staging area held a few spotted railcars. I was quite surprised to find a couple of box cars that are only one month old. Perfectly clean and unmarked; brand new with a build date of 05-22. Here's a few photos:
Box_TBOX 630536_06-21-2022 (1).JPG
Box_TBOX 630536_06-21-2022 (2).JPG
That's both sides of the same car.

Here's the car sitting in front of 630536. It's brother marked 630538:
Box_TBOX 630538_06-21-2022 (3).JPG
I consider this a rare find; two brand new boxcars that haven't been assaulted by the taggers brush. These might well be the only historical photos of these cars that will exist, before they both get hit by the vandals.

There was a newer methanol tank car in the mix, as well. This also has a build date of 2022:
Tank_CBTX 742676_Methanol_06-21-2022 (1).JPG

Tank_CBTX 742676_Methanol_06-21-2022 (2).JPG

Finding newer tank cars on my walks is a very nice bonus, but, I still like finding the older cars. They seem to have more character:
Tank_TEIX 30186_Methanol_06-21-2022.JPG

Well, I suppose that's good enough for one day's photo presentation.
We didn't come across a single locomotive yesterday, over all of those miles that we walked. Sometimes, I just don't get lucky enough. The dog got good exercise, though, and was down for the rest of the day.

Gary - Sorry to hear you come down with a second bout of the virus. I do hope that cures up soon, and without issue.

It's 7:10am. Time to get showered up and walk that dog again. It's better that she does her business in the forest, instead of on the lawn.

Have a great day!

Good Morning!
49F this morning with a mix of blue-n-grey. The guesser's keep threatening that it will rain again, and everyday they extend that prediction to the following day. I don't think they actually know.

It was such a beautiful day yesterday, that I decided to go for a hike with the dog. Passed through the CN staging area and walked a few miles of track, headed south towards Edson.

The staging area held a few spotted railcars. I was quite surprised to find a couple of box cars that are only one month old. Perfectly clean and unmarked; brand new with a build date of 05-22. Here's a few photos:
View attachment 147663View attachment 147664That's both sides of the same car.

Here's the car sitting in front of 630536. It's brother marked 630538:
View attachment 147665I consider this a rare find; two brand new boxcars that haven't been assaulted by the taggers brush. These might well be the only historical photos of these cars that will exist, before they both get hit by the vandals.

There was a newer methanol tank car in the mix, as well. This also has a build date of 2022:
View attachment 147666
View attachment 147667

Finding newer tank cars on my walks is a very nice bonus, but, I still like finding the older cars. They seem to have more character:
View attachment 147668

Well, I suppose that's good enough for one day's photo presentation.
We didn't come across a single locomotive yesterday, over all of those miles that we walked. Sometimes, I just don't get lucky enough. The dog got good exercise, though, and was down for the rest of the day.

Gary - Sorry to hear you come down with a second bout of the virus. I do hope that cures up soon, and without issue.

It's 7:10am. Time to get showered up and walk that dog again. It's better that she does her business in the forest, instead of on the lawn.

Have a great day!

Nice catch/find! Great pics and thanks for sharing!

Good Morning All. Clear and 73°. More of the same coming up, hot and dry.

Errands yesterday morning took longer than expected, but were successful all the way around. Gas is still remaining in the $4.59-$4.65 range all across town, but a fill up of premium in the Accura RDX cost $65, even with my 40¢/gal gas points. I still don't understand why my wife bought a vehicle that needed premium. Nothing planned for today except try to figure out why the dishwasher didn't work last night. It went through all of the cycles without any water! :mad: Checked to see if the valve hadn't accidentally closed this morning, it hadn't so there must be an electronic problem.

Thanks as always for the comments and reactions regarding the raccoon pictures yesterday; Karl, Guy, Gary, Smudge, Joe, Tom O, James, Sherrel, Chad, Louis, Patrick, Dave B, Hughie, OB Ken, Curt, Rick.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued to mainly run trains. Did some more painting on a couple more raccoons. I also found a new project to work on. My layout does not have but one billboard, and they were quite numerous in my era. I bought a kit for two of them back in the late 90's sometime and basically packed it away. It was old even then, the instructions are copyrighted in 1976.
IMG_1158.JPG

All parts except the structural parts are to be cut from a piece of 4" x 12" x .020" styrene sheet. Besides cutting the two 2" x 3.75" billboards themselves, I cut a bunch of 1/8" and 1/16" wide strips to be cut and used as trim pieces. I already noted that some of the dimensions given are not too accurate and I will have to measure everything before cutting. It will still be a fun project.
Meanwhile I reshot the raccoon pictures to see if they came out better. They did but only marginally.
IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

This one actually looks very realistic in person and will make a great addition to the layout.

Jeff - Really great scenes.
Guy - I think that I was using the right macro to take the pictures, a flower one. Because of the location that I was using, the tripod wouldn't work. I discard a lot of pictures because I move when taking them. I retook the pictures yesterday resting the extended lens on the edge of the layout. They came out marginally better.
Tom O - I can understand why some people purchase bottled water, but I don't understand most. I have a neighbor that does even though our water comes from a deep (900') well about a mile away. It's tested weekly by the water company and tastes better than bottled water.
Todd - My son the tech-nut has a pellet grill that he can control from in the house with Alexa, or remotely with his phone. He gets probe readings, temperature readings and can control burn rate and temperature, and probably lots of other stuff. Didn't keep him from burning the wings the last time that we visited him! And we were in the house and he could have just walked outside to check!

Today is Elizabeth Warren's 73rd birthday if that matters to anyone. I am not a fan of her or most politicians. She's older than me but younger than our last two Presidents. Matter of fact, like me, there's only been one President in our lifetimes who has been younger than us.

Everybody have a great day.

Todd - My son the tech-nut has a pellet grill that he can control from in the house with Alexa, or remotely with his phone. He gets probe readings, temperature readings and can control burn rate and temperature, and probably lots of other stuff. Didn't keep him from burning the wings the last time that we visited him! And we were in the house and he could have just walked outside to check!
Ya, the Traeger has a phone widget too. I have not set it up yet cuz it is yet another app on my phone.... Now, only if they had a camera and light inside the thing that would not melt!

Saw this since I have been acquiring covered hoppers for my layout. I thought to read up on the different types and uses etc. I intend to have cement hoppers and grain hoppers. I stumbled on this link....

What had me laughing was worm train.......which I actually never heard it being referred to as in all my years I guess I missed that lol

Covered Hopper Fun Facts​

Mountains What Is a Covered Hopper

• Traditionally, covered hoppers are white, brown or light grey, but some come in more vivid colors, like pink and bright blue.
  • Long trains made up only of brown covered hoppers are referred to as “worm trains” by rail fans.
  • A single covered hopper carries enough grain to make 258,000 loaves of bread.

Last edited:
12,000 acres of the South Jersey Pine Barrens are burning.
read that on my firefighting forum
was looking for my spare keys. not where sposed to be.. a dim light entered my brain, so I looked in the washer & dryer. Voila, in the dryer.
tested function of FOB next day, it works! went thru the washer & dryer. So did the 50$

Attachments

• fob.jpg
    fob.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 49
Good morning all,

71° and sunny. Gonna be another beautiful day, high of 80 and not too much humidity. Overnight low was 56 so we did not have tons of dew this morning.

Mowed lawn last night, looks great because we have both ample rain and sun. We don't use fertilizer or weed killer so small white dutch clover has taken over several patches. Bees, rabbits, and deer love them!

Smudge - Nice place to spend a day!

Guy - I witnessed an entire coal drag of untagged hoppers! That was a couple weeks ago on BNSF track. Not sure where they were keeping them, one of the remote sidings in Montana or Wyoming prolly, they dump at the Duluth port or power station then must do a rapid turn around.

Willie - looking forward to your Billboards! Saw an ad on model railroad elec. fences and wonder if you installed yours and how you like them, since I missed it apparently

I sent this project off to the professional, hope to get decals made so I can get real nice signs painted on my Grass warehouse bldgs:

(this was my first attempt at duplicating the CREX signs:)

#3.png

I think it was Boris or Karl figured the old signs are ok, but being something of a perfectionist at times, looks a bit like a high schooler did them with a too big paint brush. Honestly, I sweated out about a cup while trying to get these perfect in one try, want them to look like the real thing:

Crex wyo 1890.png

I sent Bill at PDC.ca a bunch of photos and he said he would put the order on his list. I will share the results here!

more later, Dave LASM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back