Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nerd alert:

For those wondering about this, who of course recognize this as the key of D (major). B minor is the relative minor of D (major). Someone posted this a while ago on a bass guitar group I am on and I had to think about it for a few minutes :)

ETA: the vandal was also not very good as he made the B sharp instead of the C in the D (major) key signature. D is a C# and F#
If you don't B sharp, you will C flat.

(kind of dates me)

Good morning all!
55F in Libby.
67F in Waterloo IA
So I guess that I'ma having a bad week. Before my blowout we went to Loves in Obitz OH for food fuel and P. No power for that block. Tractor fuel was okiedokie, but could not fill the refer for the next load and had to grovel at the shipper.
Back to Loves yesterday afternoon; power was on! Dipsh.t to my left decided for some reason to pull out from the pumps while BOTH fuel nozzles we're still connected with fuel flowing. Had the fountain of youth ...er... oil. Was raining diesel.
Glad we are headed for home time and should be there Sunday-ish.
Later

Good morning gang!

Another Saturday morning staring out the office window, watching the cars go by. Its a lovely 66° degrees, looking for a high of 73°.

When I get out of here going to cut the lawn and spread some mulch. Wife asked me what I wanted for Father's Day, I said I wanted a day to myself in the basement! 😁 Like that's gonna happen! 🤣

Have a goodun y'all!

BBL!

Another great Virginia day.
Just got back from the farmers market with some fresh produce and a loaf of banana bread.
Gonna meet up with the guys in about an hour then ride over to Solomon's Island, Maryland for some lunch and a cigar.
I'll continue my work on the U33c over in the locomotive rolling stock section later this afternoon.

Good Morning All. Hazy and 74°. Still have that Saharan Dust Storm here. Warm one yesterday at 97°, not supposed to reach that temperature today. The forecast of triple digit temperatures that were originally supposed to start Monday, has now been backed up until Thursday.

It appears that my two daughters and their families are headed up to eat at our local Italian bistro this evening. I was asked to make reservations for nine, so I guess that my wife and I are invited. Since it's Father's Day tomorrow, maybe my wife won't make me pick up the tab!
Last night I grilled chicken thighs.
IMG_1122.JPG

And veggie skewers with tomato, bell pepper and onion from the garden.
IMG_1124.JPG

Mushrooms came from Kroger since I don't grow them.
My wife's contribution was a different squash dish with squash from the garden, made in the air fryer.
IMG_1123.JPG

Otherwise, yesterday was a typical day on the homestead, mowing, picking and maintaining veggies and of course a couple of dips in the pool. Despite the high temperatures, the pool water has been staying at or below 85° the last few days.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding Dottie yesterday; Karl, Guy, Tom O, Troy, Gary, Sherrel, Smudge, Dave B, James, Joe, Hughie, Louis, Patrick, Curt, Tom.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I started something different. All of this discussion from Tom O regarding weathering got me going in that direction. So I grabbed an Athearn Blue Box four bay covered hopper and went to work on it. Unfortunately some of the pictures are crap and I will reshoot them today and post tomorrow. On one side I applied graffiti decals and on the other side I hand-painted some. I am not a fan of graffiti, but it is there and I model it on about 10% of my cars.Then I used weathering powders and some minor dry-brushing. I do not make rust buckets, but rather make generally lightly weathered cars.
IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG
IMG_1120.JPG

While in the process, I discovered that this car still had McHenry couplers that I put on back in the late 90's before I knew how screwed up they were.
IMG_1116.JPG

While this pair still worked well, I hadn't used this car much, they came off and Kadee #148's were installed. I thought that I had replaced all of the McHenry's a few years ago.

Guy - It might be interesting to see if the new sidewalk lasts as long as the old one!
Tom O - Glad to read that you are feeling better.
Gary - I was wondering where you were. Now I know and I am glad that you are recovering.
Dave B -
I heard on the news yesterday that the wealthy consume most of the energy. I guess it had to be spelled out for who?
According to public records, Mr Global Warming himself, Al Gore, is still the biggest homeowner consumer of electricity in Tennessee. Kind of An Inconvenient Truth!
Joe - While I am not ahead this year, I have outperformed S&P since I started self-managing in 2015.
Curt - Congratulations on 44. If we stay together long enough, we'll celebrate 50 in September.
Troy - Good job on the canopy.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome Father's Day weekend. Oh! And it's a three day weekend for some in honor of Juneteenth tomorrow.

Good morning all! 68 and sunny headed for 80 and sunny. Nice to get a couple days break from the oppressive heat before it hits us again. Had a strong storm blow in yesterday morning with very heavy rain and wind. Our power flashed off and on once but that was it. One of the sister schools to the one I work at had to cancel everything and close yesterday due to their power being out. Their generator is temporarily offline so they had no backup when the power went out.

I was pretty happy with my retired officers concealed carry qualifying session yesterday. I scored a 29 out of 30. The one I missed I knew was no good as soon as I pulled the trigger. I felt myself jerk the gun just as I went started to pull the trigger and immediately knew that perfect score wasn't happening. Oh well, try again next year.

Don't ask don't tell.

If they know you are carrying you're doing it wrong.
I should have made it more clear. It's illegal for me to carry where I work.

No big plans for the weekend. Need to work on the class I'm taking and probably spend a lot of time outside too. Hope you all have a great day!

Last edited:
Now I know and I am glad that you are recovering.
Thanks Willie, We went on a trip to Ireland for our 30th anniversary and I brought back the pleasant gift. Vacation was fantastic, yet airports were a nightmare that you may have seen on the news. First flight cancelled, airports in London and Ireland were very busy and the airport hotel restaurant was a zoo, we figure we caught it there. We got back 10 days ago and our luggage is supposed to be here today after getting misplaced.

Good Morning!
I could hear the rain doing a tap dance on the metal roof vents all night. We've had a real soaker, and I don't expect we will have any sort of fire season this year. Matter-of-fact, if we had a longer growing season, we'd be at risk of having jungle growth out there.

The rivers-n-lakes are topped. The wife has holiday's from work in a week, and we're going to float our little boat on some small, hidden lake.
American12_2016_Schumann_(1).jpg

I can't think of a better way to regain mental health than the solitary peace and quiet of floating that tiny boat, with a rod in hand.

Curt - 44 years ago, I was canvas wall tent living in the Alaskan wilderness, building 5x isolated hunter cabins for a Wein Air Alaska pilots side business. You were somewhere getting married. It's very nice to know you're marriage worked out so well. Those cabins are probably fallen apart by now. Congratulations!!

I plan on doing some modelling today. That will come in-between hanging a newly repaired door onto the master bathroom. Apparently, the wife wants a door on the bathroom; I don't see the need, myself. There hasn't been one on there for two weeks, and it seems to be working out ok.

Suppose I'd better go walk the dog; see what all that rain has uncovered. Have a good one!

Good morning interweb peeps. It was 52 when I left the house at 6:15 this morning, with the forecast saying sunny & 75° for the high. Out in Waupaca for the Strawberry Festival train show with the Hub City club. First club activity I’ve done since last fall.

Good morning. 71° and sunny with a cloudless sky. Yesterday, at the same time it was 92°. High temperatures in the low 70s through Thursday.

Looks like a good day to set up the patio for the summer.

On a whim, I'm rotating more of my rolling stock, going more toward late 60s. Since most power remained the same, it's all freight cars that have not seen the light of day since 2014 or so...

Well howdy, there internet peeps. It's Troy again.

My wife just took off with the car. She and her sis are driving down to Indy, then up and over to see sis's daughter's new house/attend a b-day party for sis's great-grandaughter.

My wife's sis is 6 years older than my wife. She has great-grandkids. We have a daughter, who has four cats and a beagle. Shows how families can differ wildly in their approach to making babies. Frankly, I'm in no rush, and fully respect my daughter's wishes in the matter. I suspect she'll be in the never got around to it camp.

But, with the wife out and about, I am sans transport today. Since my bike got legs and walked away last year, I'm left either using my own feet, or raising the seat on the wife's bike. She's got a mountain bike that I don't find comfortable, so I'm walking.

We haven't restocked much of the grilling meet yet. So I'm thinking the feet may take me out for lunch.

Fortunately, we've got a Culvers within walking distance. Bacon cheddar burger, onion rings and a frozen yogurt mixer sound good.

On the book front, still struggling with the latest book. Now that I'm relaxing from the past week's derecho caused power issues, I had time to think in the shower. The brain decided that I really need to work in the snarky character that I left out of the last four chapters.

Yep. The book needs more snark.

I better get back to it. I only get the frozen yogurt mixer if I hit my word goal for today. As you can see, I'm not very far on that goal.

Screenshot 2022-06-18 at 9.34.04 AM.png

Greeting from the other side of the pond.

Today a warm 13c, overcast and wet, bit of a change from yesterday's 25c and blue skies, Ah! can't beat the changeability of the English weather.

Nearly 4pm, better get ready for work, short job tonight, hopefully home by 1am.

Oh! got my car back, Yayyyy🥳

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back